Why are people in STEM oblivious to social cues?

Why are people in STEM oblivious to social cues?

This is something I've noticed in the past couple years. STEM majors are appear so ignorant to body language, nonverbal communication, and roughly anything that isn't explicitly stated. If you're implicit, or rely solely on implication, they just look at you blankly, then go back to work. I'm thinking of changing majors because of this.

Attached: are-you-kidding-me.jpg (400x400, 21K)

They're all autists and don't know you well enough to respond to your implications

Science is typically about certainty, and making sure information is so accurate that it's practically black-and-white. Of course they're not going to respond to implicity.

When you only interact with computers/machines/numbers on a day to day basis, you tend to become autistic.

I studied computer science and then got a job at a webdev company. In my experience, at school pretty much everyone is autistic, but once you start working in the industry you'll meet more social people. That's just in IT though, I have no idea how it is in other STEM industries. Also, if you're extroverted/communicative/have social skills you will have a HUGE advantage in the workplace. Really good programmers with no social skills stay programmers forever, mediocre programmers with great social skills become managers. You can climb the ladder pretty fast if you have social skills in IT.

You're describing autism.
Also I don't know what you're on about. In my experience stem majors aren't mostly autistic.. I don't know if it's the times or where you live but I think you're way overperceiving.

There is a theory that higher development of mathematical/logical/ and spatial reasoning are related to higher language function in the brain, which may result in nonverbally communicated signals being ignored. Whereas you may have a sense or feel for these implicit signals, they do not , when they see these signals it doesnt make sense because they would never communicate that way and cant parse it. Its an evolutionary tradeoff.

>Become autistic
Is this a real belief? Huge difference between autism and dull social skills

>muh autism
Social cues aren't inherently an autistic thing; that's a popular misconception. It could be a variety of factors, including culture (roughly all world cultures have different cues and body language from us).

It was a hyperbole. I was not talking about actual autism, just really poor social skills like you said.

It's not a misconception... Social development in autism is heavily affected. They can learn but they generally have to be taught and work Harder towards an end.

It is a misconception (and an overexaggeration). Being able to read nonverbal communications is not exclusive to autistic disorders; otherwise you're defining an illness by just one illness and one illness alone. Being unable to perceive cues used to be a schizophrenic trait before autism rolled around (in fact many autistic traits used to belong to the schizophrenic family).

>otherwise you're defining an illness by one symptom and one symptom alone*

We didn't talk about it being exclusive or non exclusive... We talked about it being a feature, which it is, and you thinking it isn't, which it is.
Social development in autism is slowed.

I have another neurodevelopmental disorder that isn't autism that comes with its own specific set of social problems that are consistent across the board with people with my disorder. I am well aware it isn't exclusive to autism..

>We didn't talk about it being exclusive or non exclusive
It's implied and inferred that it is. One symptom of a disorder is not enough to diagnose it, as you see , , and claiming autism by just one trait of it. That's inaccurate and basing an assumption off of information is too scant to grant such a conclusion. If you assume someone is schizophrenic simply because they're paranoid, it would just be as wrong.

>We talked about it being a feature, which it is, and you thinking it isn't, which it is.
You're making a conclusion/assumption based off of only one sign.

>I have another neurodevelopmental disorder that isn't autism that comes with its own specific set of social problems that are consistent across the board with people with my disorder. I am well aware it isn't exclusive to autism..
No one cares.

"I am not a sociable person, therefore I am autistic" is the 4channel equivalent of "I like to keep things neat in my room, so I have OCD"

How about don't be a fucking cryptologic puzzle that someone has to decipher? We created language for a reason. Body language is supposed to be an unconscious action, not voluntarily doing it because you're too big of a pussy to say what you mean.

STEM attracts people who are not social, like how law enforcement jobs attract sociopaths. That isn't to say everyone in these fields have these qualities, but people with these qualities are drawn to them.

This

This.

If you were as socially skilled as you think you are, you would simply recognize people that don't take implicit clues and adjust your speech in order to speak to them more effectively. Never having the problem of communication in the first place.

What if I have poor programming skills but good social skills? I only just about passed my college degree in Software Development. I only did it for the money. I have no interest in it.

I'm currently majoring STEM - math to be specific. I can testify that your case is true, at least for me it is a good thing. I am more socially drawn to people who tends to say things directly and straight to my face rather than sending signals that I don't want to assume. Of course, I am human too and knows what those 'body languages' are trying to imply and I just ignore it because I look at it as very cringy. I am very social and outgoing to those I know personally and those who are trying to be friends with me at a very quality level.

Intellectual superiority snob is also evident among STEM students. Nonverbal communication is a no-no.

I'm gay.

I have a stem degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry and a Business Degree in Business Analytics. The people from my science degree were WAY more outgoing and party crazy. The people from my business degree just studied all the time.

Maybe don't 'be implicit' or 'rely solely on implication.' Maybe just... and this is gonna be a wild one... say what's on your mind clearly and concisely.

They're busy resolving issues that go on a scale way beyond your inability to socially adjust to people in your surroundings.

The real question is, "Have we had major-based bait before?" I think so, and so for that, you're not very original.

My guess is that it's not everyone else, it's you.

This.

It was probably just bait to get (You)s anyway. Really, my reply is just token in that regard, and it's not like any OP on Jow Forums is in the habit of taking advice even when they don't like it.

I'd be shocked if any threads in a day were made for anything but (You)s and validation.

>Future pediatrician
>A socially dumb fuck
>Got bullied from primary school all the way to the end of high school

I'm not good with conversations, so I thought I'll become a pathologist. But it dawned on me that it's actually boring as fuck in reality, so I'm leaning towards pediatrics. Children are generally easier to deal with because their train of thought is generally on the same tracks as mine, which seems to be completely incomprehensible for adult humans for some reason.

Attached: 1526545910021.jpg (288x288, 84K)

They haven't talked to women in several years to get the degree. It is not easy.

Autism.

Attached: AUTISM.jpg (1212x682, 140K)

this is me There were more girls than guys in my Pharmaceutical Chemistry degree. The class size was 42 and only 11 guys.

Either that, or a psych. major with a stick up her arse.