“Learn to code” as a goal

Is “learn to code” just a meme? Has anyone succesfully made a transition from another incongruent profession and become something like a data analyst?

What would you recommend to someone who wants to get their feet wet? Online schools? Udacity?

Attached: ABAAADD6-8C91-4077-9AC5-43433A0CE5FA.jpg (2448x3264, 661K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UdjGiIn9HMM
youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1ZDlLImF8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Teach yourself, it opens up tons of job opportunities. If you enjoy it that is, as you have to invest allot of time and patience into it.

>teach yourself

That’s the route I was thinking of taking bc im a cheap fuck. Where do I begin? Wikipedia entries? Do I dive blindly into the Wild West of YouTube?

I could use a hint, user. I wish V.A.T.S. was a thing in life

well, if you just wanna get used to the lang, and dont mind looking a buch of things up, i used youtube to learn a bit of python, i stopped but i could do the basic things, and its a good starter to code

the best way to learn to code is to go to a good uni and lock yourself in the computer lab for a few months

t. this is how Facebook was made

tt. learned to code the same way

doing it on your own is really really hard

source 1:

youtube.com/watch?v=UdjGiIn9HMM

my life, source 2:

youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1ZDlLImF8

is python the easiest language to learn first? I read in another thread that javascript was. Does it depend on the person?

yikes

i may not be white or autistic, but I do have no friends and lots of time on my hands

Yes, it's a meme. Pick a career and learn the skills necessary to succeed in it. "Code" is not a skill. It's a ploy used by boot camps and motivational scam artists to convince people that they should cough up money.

Yes it is a meme.

Think about it logically, if there were 7 billion coders and 1 rubbish truck driver then the rubbish truck driver would be the highest paid man in the world.

For me. I think coding is a hobby. If you're really not that interested you will learn it drastically slower. Also i think people should learn general programming first if you're shit at that then you'll be shit in all other programming languages. The only difference of programming languages is how a same function works for that language. "If" might be called "be" in that other language but in the end its just the same. The difference is whats its called

Learn computer science not coding. Coding is easy learning a programming language is not too difficult but understanding the fundamentals like complexity, data structures, algorithms is important.

It is a meme. Not in the sense that coding isn't useful, but there isn't an infinite demand for software developers.

Furthermore, the vast majority of "coders" are little more than code monkeys who make jack shit. People are already doing everything they can to make it by creating the next big app, website, etc.

On the macro scale it's bleak as well. Society cannot realistically run on an economy based around coding. Production of tangible goods is still concentrated around those few already at the top, and this will only get worse as automation takes it's (complete) toll.

oh fuck. that's pretty damn dour. But I always meet people who do it and they're not rich, but they seem to get by a lot better than I have on minimum rage jobs.

I'm not a smart guy, but I thought I could pick this up since most of the information is available free on the internet and I don't really have the money to go to a trade school. Been out of a job for two months and don't have an education or skilled background. Hell, I don't even know if I have an affinity for this. But the money sounds good and it seems that these days every company has some need for an analyst.

I just don't wanna be useless in the future, user. If it wasn't programming, what would you recommend for a rudderless user approaching 30?

christ i use "but" excessively

retail for life is not that bad user

horrible but not bad

Attached: 1551392315212.jpg (700x700, 18K)

Whatever it is, it has to have some kind of curriculum. A bootcamp is probably your best option. You can't just wing it, you'll fuck up and end up skipping the essential basics like heaps vs stacks, memory references, how high level languages interact with the compiler, on and on.

As far as whether it's a meme, I'll say this, in a software related degree I saw the class size from freshman level to senior year shrink to 1/4 the amount of people sticking with it. Getting your feet wet means doing the very basics like building user interface modules on websites, or working on simple java applications. The thing is, most people who do that are only useful enough to hire if they can go deeper into the back end, do algorithm related stuff, re-work third-party libraries to work with the company code, which is why if you can't do the deeper stuff you'll end up doing freelance work or small side gigs which are not as lucrative.

What do you really want in life user? Do you want to spend your day doing something you like? Do you want to have a family and have enough money to give them a good life? I know these questions aren't always easy to answer but they are important. People talk about the automation meme but the truth is many jobs are not going to disappear to automation, there are major ones that will like truck driving though.

Yup. I got a molecular biology degree and worked as a research scientist for 5 years. Then back to school for Computer Science and now I'm an engineer at a triple A game studio.

I just went back to a 4 year uni. I have trouble teaching myself stuff so the admin really helped me.

so, no free khan academy stuff, huh?

nice

I want to live comfortably as long as I can. To live alone. I want to reach my physical peak before I get too old. I plan to run a marathon within a year. I'm doing the 10k app rn and hope to get to a half-marathon status by may. I'm gay, so no family for me, except maybe a very good friend when I finally have a place of my own and a year's worth of expenses saved in the bank.

Automation really scares me. No one in my family is particularly smart or went to college. I dropped out after two years pursuing some lofty theater degree which was fun, but ultimately left me with nothing. My brother drives for Lyft and he has no plan b. I've worked a lot of odd jobs over the years, manual labor, mcjobs, the CCC (califag here), car wash, security guard, none of these may be relevant in 10-15 years.

There's that saying that he who lives in the past has no future, well I'm living in the future and it's apprehending my present. I want to learn something that will catapult me forward not handicap me later once the tech gods unleash their hounds on plebs like me.

What safe trades are left that can guarantee work for the next 20-30 years?

>so, no free khan academy stuff, huh?
I mean you can, it's not that the learning material isn't out there for free, it exists, but let me put it this way. If you can build a website where you made the back end and front end, or a mobile app which is similar, you will have to learn 4 or 5 different languages. If you do that plus show a couple of other single language projects that show you can apply a coding concept like breadth-first search, and you couple these things with professional experience with a company even if its internship or contract, then you have a resume that makes you hirable. But most people just aren't committed enough to do each of these things on their own because all of it will take a few months if you start as a beginner and put in lots of hours into it. This is why bootcamps are big now, they structure that process and help you get the projects done.

How old were you when you finished your second degree?