How do you deal with the fear that one day you will die?

How do you deal with the fear that one day you will die?

Attached: 308370637.jpg (360x480, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/the-quantum-theory-of-reincarnation
youtu.be/Rag_9J1ZC2g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

by not thinking about it

Philosophy helped me come to terms with my death.
Father time catches up to all of us. Your gonna have to think about it at some point

What kind of philosophy do you read? I only look at Camus rn

Recognize that when that days comes, no matter how small you will have made a impact on the world that will span decades. The only choice is if that's negative or positive. You will be remembered OP.

By unironically making the most of every day.

I'm not very good at it, I mean I mostly just watch shit on youtube and play some video games - but it's the thought that counts.

Also I was/am still kinda Buddhist and they're a religion that's focused much more on death than others.

On my grandmother's tomb, it's written something that I would translate as:

''Do not weep for me, for I am now with God
Weep for those who still suffer on this Earth''

idk if that really answers your question but I find it interesting

I read alot of Plato, Rene Descartes and Seneca. I think Seneca might be up your alley. BUT BE CAREFUL TO NOT TAKE SENECA OUT OF CONTEXT

Greek Mythology also helps me alot

by having kids. You never die you just lose your memory. The only people who actually die are childless people.

Your father has a father has a father, ad infinitum

People with kids literally die you pedophile tripfag

You die 3 times in total. Once where you die emotionally. Walking the earth a zombie. Second time is obvious. When your biological body cannot carry on. The last one, personally my biggest fear, is when your forgotten. You children will pass on your name, but sooner then later you will be forgotten. Do you really know about your great great great grandfather? Does your father really know him? Will your children really know him? Do good on the planet or do bad and you'll be remembered. Since humans focus more on the bad than the good, I hate to say it, but your be more likely to be remembered if you do something bad. BUT DONT PLEASE!

They do die, but I'd rather die surrounded by a family who loves me and the knowledge that I left good things behind me than alone in some retirement home

>fearing death
I wake each morning disappointed that it's late.
This is the single most normie post currently on Jow Forums. Congratulations, you're basic.

What did philosophy teach you?
Sometimes the thought comes to me, and it's hard to forget
What's the point of living without memories?

I also think that I am more afraid of the death process than of death itself, which is worse

Living forever would be a pain. Theres only so much to experience in life. How many ruins can you visit? How many mountains can you climb before you get tired of mountains? How many relationships? How many games can you play before you understand all of them? How many things can you study? Being a kid doesnt count so lets say you have a useable life expectancy of 50 years. Thats 18000 days. You can visit 18000 places, get 16 degrees, meet god knows how many people. 50 years is more than enough if you spend it well.

Everybody that has ever lived has died or will die. All the best people and worst people they all do it. How bad could it really be? Personally I'm really looking forward to it. Life is great and all but there isn't much else I want to see. I'm really curious about what comes after death though.

Philosophy helped me understand the world around me. It helps me find out who I am and those around me. Philosophy is Greece for "Love of Wisdom" And thats all I want. Wisdom

Once you've been alive for a while you start to realize that life is pretty shitty and you don't care anymore if it ends.

>Death
No such thing, as Christ defeated it by His death and Resurrection.

Attached: Feast Day, Descent into Hades 5 a.jpg (522x700, 201K)

Succinct and accurate.

By realizing I'm not even certain I'm alive right now. The only thing I can ever experience is thought. It's easy enough to imagine there's a soul, and that may be comforting to some, but I'd honestly rather not experience eternal existence. But, regardless, even that there may be a soul is mere thought, and that I will die is a mere thought. I won't know it when it happens, presumably because without thought there is no experience. Furthermore, if I do experience it, then there is thought after bodily life, in which case the part that matters wont really die.
So, either way you look at it, it's not so bad. It really comes down to addressing the issue of the primal desire to live interacting with the overactive mind of humans. Yes, people want to live by default, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to fear death.

Cringe

The sad thing is not die, the sad thing is has never lived or have wasted almost all of your time.

Why? I used to be like you, tought that religious people belonged to ancient times, in those days I didn't have peace, now I have it and that's all that matters to me.

I believe in Christ too, but I'm still afraid

I'm not saying it's *wrong* I'm saying that as a prescriptive it falls short. If that's what he *wants* and finds it appealing, then that is what will make him happy. He has to figure out what he wants first. I'm inclined to believe he *will* want what you're suggesting, but to say it's the only answer might lead he down a path he can't come back from

I think I thought you were someone else. Regardless, Christianity is a Jewish ploy, so I'd recommend he look elsewhere for spirituality. I still stand by religion being a viable option for his happiness

I don't fear death, I fear the road to it.

by understanding our quantum spiral like existence and realizing that I don't actually exist but the image of me is but a recollection of a series of moments and information intertwined by my brain to create a personality to cope with the events and the people around me, and that the real me has no form or personality, being held by my organic body-vehicle. so I realized that death isn't actually real since I'll just become a different organism. It is sad though, that my name and face is forgotten.

Your kids could always abandon you and let you rot in a retirement home or you could develop dementia and not even recognize your kids even if they are there for you. It's not a guarantee that you'll be "surrounded by loved ones" when you die if you have kids.

>so I realized that death isn't actually real since I'll just become a different organism.
What type of organism?

there's a difference between being in peace and being delusional

probably another human being, I don't know

Of course. That's why you don't just have kids, you also raise them well and build a family structure. If you get dementia yeah you're fucked but some things are out of our control. I am muslim, so I do what I can and let God give me what I deserve

>probably another human being
How? Because you know, once your brain stops receiving oxygen and your neurons die, all what means being You, all the information stored in them, memories, mentality, personality, etc. all of that is dead, lost, forever.

not really, your DNA can still be recovered for hundreds and even thousands of you, and it has been proven that DNA has pathways that allow for quantum entanglement, look it up. your body could even get cloned after centuries. and it is also theorized that DNA and long term memory are related, as it was believed until recently that 80% of your genome did not do anything and was called "garbage dna". now try and link the fact that every sibgle human being shares the same genome, and that DNA is connected through quantum entanglement.

you should probably stop thinking you know everything, maybe then you would stop being afraid of death

but I agree that your personality is lost, I believe I already explained that it's not real, as in you are not your personality, mentality, thoughts and memories, all that happens to you, but is not you.

*thousands of years

Are you telling me that memories are stored in the DNA? Then why in Sci-Fi when someone is cloned they have to then implant the memories of the dead one to the new clone because the clone is physically the same but he doesn't have the memories of the dead one?

>I believe I already explained that it's not real, as in you are not your personality, mentality, thoughts and memories, all that happens to you, but is not you.
Are you telling me that we are not how memories and thoughts? Then what we are? And they are in us, in our brain.

do you expect me to take your argument seriously when you're telling me it comes from science fiction?

>Are you telling me that we are not how memories and thoughts? Then what we are?
well, since you have existed before any of your thoughts and memories were formed, then yes, obviously you are not your memories or thoughts, you identify with them as a coping mechanism, aka growing up, developing your "persona". you ask what we are? a self replicating living organism, and also consciousness

to say it differently, you are the narrator making up thoughts, but those thoughts aren't you, that's like saying that a writer is the book that he writes

I said the thing about Sci-Fi because was a good example. You are saying that if someone clone you in the future that clone would have your same memories and mentality than you? I don't think so.

And the thing about that we exist before we form our thoughts and memories... that's why you don't remember nothing from your first years, because what makes yourself didn't exist yet.

Another example, what happens if a person lost his memories completely? Like Alzheimer for example, that person doesn't exist anymore. And if it is an accident and loses his memories then I don't think that person is the same as the previous to the accident.

so what you're saying is that people with alzheimer don't exist?

I don't think you get it, babies aren't people now?

I'd actually like to die right about now, I got a medical problem that is incurable and makes me unable to achieve anything in my miserable life. I'm too much of a pussy to commit suicide though.

Why be afraid?

If you lost the memories of all your life, if you don't remember even to your children, nothing from your past... I think that your persona doesn't exist anymore.

Babies exist but they don't have a personality yet. They aren't conscious of their existence or anything. They feel things but nothing more.

>unironically fearing death

Attached: smug_anime_girl.jpg (707x1000, 86K)

that's my point, if your persona can disappear while you continue to exist, it shows that it's an illusion and not literally who you are. this makes death insignificant since the only thing that actually dies is your persona, you will continue to exist as something else.

why is this so hard to get? is your life so incredibly amazing that you can't detach yourself from it?

>this makes death insignificant since the only thing that actually dies is your persona, you will continue to exist as something else.
Not, your persona is not the only thing that dies, your body also dies.

Why do people waste brain power being afraid of an inevitability?

right, the body that gets replaced every couple of years, is that also "you"? are you your arms and legs? and if I cut them off, are you know "less of you"?

you really don't get it

It's like being afraid of a quasar. You know it exists but you're never going to experience anything related to a real quasar first-hand. That's why I'm not afraid of death because it doesn't really register as real. I understand pain and discomfort but that's not the same as actual death.

My God... and you were the one saying that me bringing an example from sci-fi was silly?

What body gets replaced? hahaha Your body is either burned decomposed.

not literally your entire body, but most of your cells do die and are replaced with new ones during the course of your life. do you really think that you are your body? so when you were 8 years old and your body was half the size it is now, was that not you? your body tomorrow will be different as well.

I think I'm wasting my time with you. maybe graduate high school first if you want to understsnd what death is

You keep bringing new things. So according to you we become another organisms after die? What are those organism? Explain your theory and stop bringing new things.

I already explained it, it's not my fault that you're a brainlet

>we wuz souls n'shieet
Not that guy, but is that the gist of it?

>DNA can store memories.
>If someone takes DNA from your dead body and clone you then that new body will generate your memories and you will be born again.
>Says that I'm not serious for bringing an example from sci-fi.
Ok dude, I'm done with you.

wow, another brainlet, never once did I talk about souls.

it really seems like biology, chemistry and quantum physics is 2deep4u

Did you fear the moment before you came alive in the womb? Death is a natural process, and without it there wouldn’t be enough to go around.
I fear regrets, because all you have left in the end are memories you love and are proud of.

>>If someone takes DNA from your dead body and clone you then that new body will generate your memories and you will be born again.
I never said this you fucking idiot, in fact, I already said that your memories are gone when you die.

lmao, brainlets, what are you gonna do

I also said that it was theorized that DNA could store memories.

you do know what a theory is, right? are you capable of logical thinking?

I skimmed the thread. Sorry to offend your vast intellect

Here's to all non brainlets
rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/the-quantum-theory-of-reincarnation

It doesn't really matter to me.
We are all reincarnated and I've already lived several lives and will live more. This is just one of them and I have been living how I wish and learning lessons. Your soul is a ball of energy that moves elsewhere, you only die physically. So maybe you'll miss the form you were given this life or the beings you met and hope to meet them in the next.

I used to be terrified of dying. It gave me constant anxiety. I just slowly started to accept it's inevitability and that it will happen one day, no matter what. Just kind of realized there was no point wasting mental energy fearing and worrying about something I can't stop.

We all are brother. Listening to people’s near death experiences and seeing Jesus helped

Disconnecting yourself from reality. What’s there to be afraid of if you don’t really exist?

You change your view of death. Make it a positive experience instead of a negative one.

Don't fear it, just live till you die

I listen to gandalf
youtu.be/Rag_9J1ZC2g

>2019
>still being afraid of your own death

Drugs sex and religion

>The last one, personally my biggest fear

What the fuck is this shit? Who gives a fuck if you're remembered or not? you're dead the fate of the world after you die doesn't fucking matter to you anymore, the world could die a fiery death from climate change or asteroids hitting it right after you pass and guess what you'll be none the wiser. It will have no impact on you cause you are dead, when you die the universe may as well have died too.

Wanting to be "remembered" is the gayest shit that makes no sense. Guess what, you were never that special to begin with, take your head outta your own ass.

There is no way death is the end.

I don't believe it, we're here forever it's obvious. I don't know in what way you continue on after death but I'm almost certain there is experience, there will ALWAYS be experience, I feel it to be true.

One day at a time. One day I will die, but it will not be today. I will only ever be wrong once in a lifetime.

Recently I've felt like life and death are the probably same thing. That our bodies are arranged atoms and our minds are illusionary.
Matter and energy are equivalent, and we only see ourselves as seperate from our surroundings due to the ego. It's perfectly possible we're all just one thing made out of one substance.
That being said, the fear of death is good :) what else could drive you to lead a meaningful life? No matter how many layers it's under, I expect it's what motivates us all fundamentally. I recently almost died, and I couldn't think of anything except how much I wanted to live. For around two weeks afterwards, I was like an idealised version of myself.
The human experience is that of chasing something better. If you were alive forever, you could obviously achieve everything and total wisdom. What would be the point? Without death we are not human!

>If you were alive forever, you could obviously achieve everything and total wisdom.
No.

that if im gonna die ill do it by my own volition

I used to think this too until I tried and couldn't go through with it.

I was obviously being hypothetical and not entirely literal