Potato Famine

>Live on an island surrounded by 10/10 fishing spots.
How in the hell did the Irish starve to death during the Potato Famine?

Attached: (R)D59588[1].jpg (640x427, 180K)

Wow bet u think ur wity for copying that same post from earlier today

i'm ashamed to have irish heritage. whenever I think of the irish, I just think of idiots who nearly died off because of potatoes.

Low IQ

And potatoes aren't even native to Europe.

You can't catch fish with a shovel.
It also helps to have a boat.

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?

None

Because a nation of that population can’t subsist entirely off of fish!
>Japan

Maybe given the time, culture and technology available, a solution like fishing was unreasonable?

You should be mad at the English for forcing them to pay in grain. Leaving them to eat potatoes only.

More like too drunk from potatoe fermentation.

>Japan

all their spears broke after the battle of Hastings.

Too busy being drunk

Surrounding waters had been overfished for decades- there was nothing to catch.
Read a fucking history book, retard.

OP is right though, the point is that there should have at least been a few farmers or coastal micks smart enough to figure out how to run some nets. Why did they never learn to fish commercially, though having coastline?

oi m8 you gots a loicense to catch dem feesh?

>implying one can eat fish without the chips
pleb

Ya can't make alcohol from fish.

They're importing them again

They were too poor and the coasts are extremely windy. The boats they had at the time were not able to use deep sea fishing nets. The fish were many miles out at sea so the boats would have to withstand swells and be able to stay out at sea for many days, which they couldn't do.

Because irish are lazy drunks.

I am irish, so I speak first hand.

>by 10/10 fishing spots
A lot of Irelands coast is shit for fishing from the land.
A lot were too poor to afford a boat.

take a look at just what type of equipment for fishing existed back then. it wasn't like they all had rods, reels, monofilament or even braided line and plenty of tackle

How does an entire nation figure out how to be simultaneously too drunk to fish, AND completely run out of the principle ingredients to make alcohol? Was their something else the Irish could drink and yet still not have ingredients for food?

Attached: 1543452538116.jpg (565x425, 150K)

Had to have fishing rights from the brutish government I believe otherwise you go to jail for poaching. During the famine there was tons of food being shipped out of Ireland every day

>tons of food being shipped out ireland every day
cucked out of your own crops lmao fucking red faggots

We have many beautiful lakes and rivers full of trout and salmon. I'm sure some people did fish and find other sources of food, that's why everyone didn't die, just the stupid/drunks. Believe it or not, none of my ancestors died in the famine XDDD

>19:23:21
Makes me wonder what does Irish people ate in the past? Probably sheeps and fish and then they grew stupid enough to forget how to survive, but it is just like Venezuela, surrounded by fertile lands and they are dying of famine

They were already fishing. When the potatoes died they had the same amount of fish as before but less potatoes so they went hungry.
The retarded thing about the Potato Famine is they kept on exporting other food. If they'd closed their ports they would've been alright.

t.Winston

Because this potato famine was actually a British blockade of Ireland. It was exactly like Holodomer with the British army stationed all over Ireland killing livestock, confiscating grain, destroying crops, while the British navy cut off the Island.
Fucking Anglos are indistinguishable from the jews these (((protestant))) little brown nosing faggots love so fucking much.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (465x316, 46K)

I'm sure it was so easy to build boats back then. And it wasn't strenuous or time consuming at all. And just like today everyone back then had boat building as a skill set. 1st time was always a charm. And tools never needed repair, which didn't matter anyway because everyone knew how to make new tools too. Just like you OP, you can do these things, eight? With modern engineering and all its alot easier then it was back then. You should be able to widdle a boat. What? You can't make a boat? What the hell is wrong with you?

Whatever though who needs boats to fish to feed a country. I'm sure if the Irish communities where smart enough they would of all just lined up, 100s of them and just fish and throw nets off the jetty's near the coast and just catch endless amounts of bountiful fish to feed everyone, everyday, forever. Right?

Attached: 1552402288997.gif (198x200, 797K)

Why is it the case in VE?

there was no famine, they were occupied by a military that stole all the crops. That same military used its navy to stop the Irish from fishing. So you can Stop with these "just go fishing" shill threads that you've been posting one a week

Attached: 1546585588600.jpg (396x382, 48K)

Have any of you guys ever heard of rivers and lakes? Why the sea fishing obsession?

Lake and river fishing would could never sustain a country, nor coastal fishing for that matter.

because if you weren't too drunk to build a fucking real boat you could have caught enough fish to feed your entire country, but you wanted to nigger fish on the riverbank until you passed out instead.

because creating industrialised fishing out of whole cloth is literally impossible when you have zero resources and autonomy. Also there was plenty of food, it all just got exported. Not even out of malice, but because the Brits were the 19th century equivalent of retarded libertarians. They can't have been unhappy that our growing population was stifled though. There'd be tens of millions of us if not for the famine.

did you guys eat each other or what?

I've never googled "irish famine cannibalism" because I don't want to think about it.

The vast majority of people survived the famine so I'm not really sure what point you guys are trying to make.

so why does everyone make such a big fucking deal about it

Lake fish small.
Sea fish big.

This. Thank you.
/thread

Also fuck Britain

Attached: 1514136228963.jpg (640x749, 212K)

The point is it was illegal for them to eat anything that didn’t grow under ground.

There was plenty of food in Ireland. It all went across the channel.

People really don’t know this?

I went to an above average school district, and remember most of what we were taught in history. The potato famine was extremely low on details for whatever reason.