Are white men really privileged?

Are white men really privileged?
Is working 40-50 hours per week in order to have food and pay taxes to a society who hates you really a privilege?

Attached: EA8A06EC-DCFF-4911-A917-1AD4F05CC8FE.gif (240x135, 410K)

>White men priviliged

Attached: y5PPPNj9Vxw.jpg (444x467, 103K)

Not at all.
This whole "white people are privllaged" BS has even developed tons of insecurity issues for a demographic that's already prone to depression and suicidal behavior.
I feel really bad for white males because of this.

gib reparations

Poor white people aren't privileged.

Rich white people definitely are privileged. The most privileged group of people in the world.

But there are small privileges to being a poor white person, which is why people generalize this. If you're white in most parts of America and someone calls the cops on you for something stupid, you probably won't get shot, unlike if you're a black guy.

But really, most privilege comes from economic power. And if you're poor and white you're gonna be shit out of luck in most countries. But if you're rich and white, you have effectively no obstacles in life at all.

I'll gib u dees nuts

There aren't special privileges for being white, but there are special disadvantages for being black. The relationship & history between blacks and whites, at least in the US, is messy and complicated and fucked-up on both sides. I don't really know what there is to be done about it except to just let things keep steadily getting better over generations, it is what it is, the past can't be taken back but the effects on the present are still real & significant.

Members of other races really don't have much to complain about. Racism exists, but it's hardly a one-way street

>But if you're rich and white, you have effectively no obstacles in life at all.
And is that bad? Are we supposed to automatically resent people with privilege? Doesn't everyone wish to obtain the same privilege for themselves and their family?

I don't think people resent them for having privileges, just would like people to realise that they have it and they live an easier life because of it. It's more a "reality check" than anything.

Well that's a no-brainer, isn't it? Of course that's true

It does exist in the greater scheme of things like you're more likely to become a CEO, and less likely to get arrested or murdered by cops, but there is no real privilege in your everyday life. Also generally speaking people expect way less of you, that's another privilege. If you're Asian you have to be a mathematician and classically trained violinist by the time you're 7 year olds. If you're Indian or Muslim then you have to become a doctor like everyone else in your family. If you're Black then you have to be an athelete at a professional level, etc. Being White you can just work at UPS your whole life and that's good enough.

I don't hate SJWs or anything in fact I agree with most things that they typically put forth - but this is the one thing that they always get wrong. Sitting there going WHITE YOU'RE WHITE YOU'RE A CIS WHITE MALE YOU'RE PRIVILEGED YOU'RE ACTUALLY THE ENEMY HOW DARE YOU HAVE SO MUCH PRIVILEGE is a big reason why so many kids on Jow Forums turned into kekistan retards. There's an overall privilege but it's nothing like what SJWs think it is when the average white guy is taken into account.

Attached: h73gcyzuwb7z.jpg (1080x720, 91K)

>society who hates you
What society are we talking about here? Japan? The Middle East?

>working 40-50 hours per week in order to have food and pay taxes to a society
You mean like a normal person?

>Are white men really privileged?
Being a part of any majority group in a society is a privilege. Humans are inherently discriminatory and have biases against people who are different from themselves. So yes, if you're a white person in a majority white society, that is a privilege.

It's not.

Just a silly example from my personal life.
My boyfriend is a white, upper middle class dude who grew up around white, upper middle class people and is friends with white, upper middle class dudes. He often doesn't realise that not everyone is in the same spot as he is. His parents paid for his college, he went to a great uni, he has a really good job. So did most of his friends.
He often doesn't realise what money means to me, and that when he says we should "go on a trip" and plans something that costs a couple thousand dollars, that to me is what I live off for 2 months. I need to budget really well to manage to have the money to go on a trip that is that expensive, like save for a year or so.
He doesn't get it because he never lived with people who had to budget to have 2k$ at hand.
He's privileged, and while I'm glad he is because I don't resent people for what they have and obviously having the means to do shit is nice, it's very hard for him to relate and understand that I had to work my ass off to get a scholarship, I have to work part time, I can't afford to have my GPA to drop, I can't afford to be mediocre in any way because I have no one backing me up. And I definitely can't afford to go on 2k$ trips right now.

I guess it just depends how a person was raised. I come from a pretty wealthy family, and I was always painfully aware of the privileges that came with it. It has often created awkwardness and distance with friends, relationships, etc and I wish it didn't have to be that way. It's bought me options and opportunities in life that other people have to work harder for, I know. It's not such a heavy price to pay to get funny looks and snide remarks from people in my life, but that is something that has always been present.

Everything has a trade-off, you know? I always have the feeling that I have no right to complain - people resent me for having something good, but the resentment does hurt sometimes. Nobody chooses the family they were born into, the ups and downs that come with it.

Sounds more like you're saying that white people are privileged because they have parents that expect far less of then. How many people would spend their time working at UPS when they could make it as a professional athlete? It seems like "privilege" translates more to "not having to prove yourself", which I dont think is the case.

I think the only reason most CEO's are white has more to do with demographics than anything else. Sure, most CEO's in the US/Canada/Europe are white, but how many white CEO's do you see in China/Japan/Hong Kong? If you roll a dice with 5 white sides and one black one, are you going to be upset when the majority of times you roll a white side? Maybe income levels or inequality also have something to do with it as well, but I think just it has more to do with population. Either that, or most minorities are just interested in being in a position of power over mostly white people.

I don't think people resent you for having something good (at least, I don't).
It's just that you got it "for free", while I had to work my ass off. So obviously I don't think you've earned it as much as I do, and don't respect you as much.
For example, if I knew you got a job because your dad is friends with the CEO of the company we work for, you'd have to prove me you're worthy of respect more than a random guy who got the job because he's good. There's no resentment - I don't envy people, I'm glad people do well, I only focus on myself and don't compare myself to others. But I feel like I already proved myself, and someone who got life handed to them doesn't as much. So for me to think of you as someone as competent, hard working and determined as me or other people I know, you'd have to show me.

>I feel really bad for white males because of this.
t. white male

>If you're Asian you have to be a mathematician and classically trained violinist by the time you're 7 year olds. If you're Indian or Muslim then you have to become a doctor like everyone else in your family. If you're Black then you have to be an athelete at a professional level, etc
Those are expectations put on them by their own families, not society at large.

Most CEOs are white males.
Females are 50% of the population, they're the CEOs of 4.8% of the fortune 500 companies.
16% of US population is black, there are FOUR (4) CEOs at fortune 500 companies.

Somewhat offtopic but the states has been run by white men since the beginning so it's not surprising that leadership roles still tilt towards them. You can't just give everyone the same rights under the law and expect things to equalise withing a few decades, it will take generations. This push to artificially boost women and certain minority groups into such roles breeds resentment and is counterproductive. People need to be patient and let it happen organically.

You've apparently never been an asian going to school in a predominantly white area if you think that. People seriously treat you like another species when they're not used to seeing your ethnic group.

>work at department store
>Old lady customer says "Could you help me with this *math related thing*? I heard your people are good at this sort of thing

>Sitting on bus
>some white guy tries to convince me asians don't have peripheral vision because of our epicanthal folds

Also in school everyone would dicksplain me, saying I had a small dick because I was asian. My dick is above average in both girth and length but everyone was convinced I had a micropeen because they read it online and it didn't help much with the ladies.

But how is that different from when incels say (young) women are priviledged and life is unfair because any woman can go get boyfriends and they can't?
It is a bad way to view the world, one rich white person having it good does not make it better for other white people, that is idiotic to think so.
Treat people as individuals instead of lumping everyone in a group.

>If you roll a dice with 5 white sides and one black one, are you going to be upset when the majority of times you roll a white side?

I'm sorry but this analogy is absolutely fucking retarded. No company is picking their CEO at complete random like that, add racial tension and publicity to the mix and you'll realize that there are definitely board room meetings where the company decides against a CEO just based on skin color.
Did you personally ask every Asian family that? No? Then shut the fuck up retard.

Why do you think this is relevant at all?
The most rich people in the world will always live a different life than the most poor people in the world, the race or gender of those people does not matter, being rich or poor matters.

>So for me to think of you as someone as competent, hard working and determined as me or other people I know, you'd have to show me.
But that's true for anyone in the world. I expect no less than to be judged for my actions and performance. But it's a bit more complicated than that. My family never got me a job, but my financial safety net enabled me to take risks and make choices with my career that might not be options for other people. I'm very grateful to have those opportunities, but your attitude is one that I'm constantly made aware of, externally and internally - there is a feeling of illegitimacy that gnaws at me, that I have to work twice as hard to prove I "earned it" and that still won't be enough. I'll still wonder where I'd really be if I had to start from scratch, and I know others wonder the same thing.

There's nothing to be done about it except to do the best I can with what I've got, as we all do. I'm just trying to point out that everything comes at a price. Money solves one set of problems and creates new ones to take their place. It can be isolating, it keeps people at an arm's length. In more dramatic cases, I've had people blow up at me, I've had people try to take advantage of me, I've had friendships end over loans I wouldn't give or didn't get paid back, there's a nasty cynical grain of doubt in the back of my mind of the motives of any new friend or romantic prospect that comes into my mind, which has too often been proven correct. There's an asterisk attached to any accomplishment I've made in my professional life. And with it all is the feeling that I shouldn't complain. And really, I shouldn't, life is mostly good. But everyone's got their own pain, their own shit to deal with.

I'm not personally offended by the fact that white men are more likely to be CEOs, and I don't believe in quotas.
I'm just saying that minorities and women are, indeed, discriminated against and it isn't a matter of demographic.

It isn't going to happen organically.

If positions of power are already in the vast majority in the hands of rich white people, then chances are, if left to their own devices, then positions of power will continue to enter into the hands of new rich white people. This is because you have to factor into the equation things like
>Familial ties - The rich white people in power are going to have family, and those family are going to benefit from their blood relation, and will probably also become powerful. Those family will be rich and white
>Friendships - Rich white people in power will have friends, and chances are, those friends will also be rich and white. They will probably give their friends a hand up
>Selection bias - Rich white people will probably pick other rich white people when hiring for senior roles or recommending someone for a position
>Representation - If you are not rich or white, and you look about society to see that the people in power are in the main not like you or from your background, you will feel discouraged from seeking a career in the professions of the most powerful people (Politics, law, business, etc)

The way capitalism is set up, the economic and social power of the different classes (upper class vs working class) and races (whites/asians usually vs blacks/hispanics) is so vastly different that the discrepancy will never rectify itself naturally. This isn't just a racial thing either. In the USA/Canada/UK/some parts of Europe if you are born white but working class and poor, you probably have just as little chance of becoming a CEO/lawyer/politician as a young black kid does - that being pretty much next to zero chance.

I'm white myself. We do have privileges. It's not only "rich" white people, all white people do.
Women have some privileges, men have some privileges. Minorities have some, too.
Acknowledging yours is a pretty normal thing to do.

I have no problem saying that, as a girl, I have it easier than men when it come to finding a sexual partner and have a privileged position in courtship since I'm granted a more "passive" role.

>user says that we don't have many black CEOs because of demographics
>show him it's not because of demographic
>how is that relevant
K.

>This isn't just a racial thing either. In the USA/Canada/UK/some parts of Europe if you are born white but working class and poor, you probably have just as little chance of becoming a CEO/lawyer/politician as a young black kid does - that being pretty much next to zero chance.
so you're saying they're not actually there because they're white, they're there because it just so happened to be that it was white men in control back when these structures were created. If that wasn't the case then some poor white could would have a much better chance than his black counterpart.

In many parts of the western world, rich white people look upon poor white people with just as much contempt as they do non-white people, if not more

Remember that race science in the 19th century wasn't just limited to "whites vs non-whites". The upper classes of Europe and North America also labelled lower class whites and specific nationalities such as Irish people as "inferior and subhuman". In many European countries you had to be of a minimum level of wealth to vote.

But I've been proving my value since I was 15. I was the best of my class every year, got scholarships (because otherwise I couldn't afford school), worked on the side, kept a crazy high GPA, got great internships. I've done it all along.
And I keep proving it at my job, but do you understand that I walk in with 10 years of constantly working my ass off to be the best because it was the only way for me to be able to do what I wanted to? And there are people who walk in without having done much, and just because their dad called? And I don't respect them as much as I respect people who worked as hard as I did, unless they prove me that they deserve it.
I don't have problem with you specifically, and I don't think that because you were lucky to be born in a good family it means you necessarily didn't earn what you have or don't "deserve" it - but if I know you haven't worked for it, you'll have to show me you deserve it.

And yes, money doesn't solve all problems, but holy shit is life nice when you don't have to worry about that user. I see it now that my boyfriend is in my life, I'm so grateful for the life we'll be able to offer to our kids.
I know it's not something that makes your life automatically wonderful, but you're complaining that you don't know if your friends like you to someone who couldn't afford having the time to have friends because I didn't have time for all my college years, between work and school.

I don't see how this is a counterargument. Very very few people make such distinctions in the modern day, and they're the kind of people that browse this site, not CEOs.

Keep in mind the majority of fortune 500 CEO's are pretty old, so remember their path to where they are now could have started 30 years ago. The demographic could look very different decades from now.

Speaking generally, I think the majority of women would rather marry a CEO than put forth the effort towards being one (how many women actually WANT to be breadwinners). And as for minorities, I can't really speak on their behalf, but I will say that if I were a CEO or powerful head of a company of people who were of a different race than me, I would admit it would feel pretty discomforting. Also, getting to the top of the corporate ladder isn't going to be easy if you care about ethics. Business can be a dirty game, and I don't think many minorities want to be known as businessmen/businesswomen if they had to be cutthroat to get there. Alao being that a CEO is kind of a conservative image, I think most women/minorities/LGBT people (assuming most of them are liberal or progressive) would view the head of a corrupt company (let's face it, pretty much all of them are) as some time of backstabber to liberal causes.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make with those statistics, but if you're trying to argue for affirmative action, then I'm sorry, but that's not the answer. You cannot force diversity, because then you ruin the credibility of success (more than it is now). You cant make someone be anything. This is what media gets wrong when they want to put more women, minorities, and lgbts in positions of power. You're not doing anything for any of those groups of people by just trying to give a hand out. You need to be encouraging, and tell people it's something worth pursuing, and putting the time and effort into.

Lots of women work those kind of hours too. Think about single moms. They're looked down upon as well.

Also, many men don't work. Many 'men' here live in their mom's basements.

Your observation is invalid.

I'm speaking from experience because my office is very diverse (a tech support company, over 50% black, and about half women). But I guess it's not like that everywhere.

No there not, woman and other races are getting all the scholarships for schools and government programs.. furthermore my company that I work for has been actively trying to get a 50/50 split between men and women and more race diversity... Do you realise how fucked that is, it is a primary white country and is in technology. So the ratio of different races and women should be lower to begin with. Just shows that white men are being denied opportunity to make the company seem that they are diverse

I'm not, I'm saying it has nothing to do with "demographics", but just with discrimination.
I don't believe discrimination is fixed with affirmative action, I do think that it exists and denying it is stupid.
In the same way I don't respect a man who gets handed a job by his father, I don't respect a woman or a black person who gets their job because quotas. But on the other hand if you think that discrimination doesn't exist, or that you don't have it easier, you're simply wrong.

All of your points are fair. And look, there really are rich kids who coast through life without working a day, I've seen it too. There's nepotism without merit, there's other stuff like the college admissions scandal I've been reading about. None of that was my story personally, I worked just as hard in school & my career as anyone else, but I get where you're coming from. I've seen the same shit you have.

But this is the main point I'm trying to make: You say "money doesn't solve all problems" but it's more than that. It DOES solve many. It does make a lot of things easy. But there are specific problems created by wealth and privilege that are just as real as anyone else's problems, just completely different. It's easy to look at somebody else who has something that you want, and fail to recognize the things you have that he might want. I'll never be able to fully relate to your perspective, and you'll probably never be able to fully relate to mine, and that's the distance I'm talking about. You don't have blind, unreasonable resentment for rich people, but some do. You don't make schemes to manipulate or take someone's money, but some do.