After years of strong growth, the classic car market has taken a hit since 2017 or so...

After years of strong growth, the classic car market has taken a hit since 2017 or so. Why aren't Millennials getting into classic cars, Jow Forums? This is a big cultural shift - classic car collecting and trading has been an important part of US and western culture for decades. Culturally, these cars represent freedom - the "open road," mobility, and community with fellow gearheads. Why are Millennials choosing to abandon all of that? What are they replacing it with?

Despite the current economic boom in the US, the classic car market is struggling. And that's a big cultural shift and political implications.

Attached: 13454641-1933-ford-roadster-std[1].jpg (1280x960, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1974-amc-matador-x/1409090138?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What will happen when boomers are committed to nursing homes in the early stages of dementia, and they still own millions of dollars worth of possessions?

Because they were consumer items meant to last for only so long, and younger people lack the nostalgia for them - being so far removed.

And when there's no nostalgia, there's no reason to go through the hurdles to keep 50+ year old consumer goods with limited spares going.

Bitch, I can barely afford the car and apartment I have now. How the fuck am I supposed to buy and maintain a classic?

>why aren’t people wasting money on broken down cars that run on 10 MPG?
Jeez, I don’t know.

>the "open road," mobility, and community with fellow gearheads
What makes this exclusive to classic cars you fucking nonce?

I have a shitty Buick LeSabre and my friend has a Jeep Patriot and we still have a lot of fun talking about cars and working on them when they need repairs

People want the cars that were cool when they were young. The drift tax is real.

I'm waiting for the market to sink further so I can get in on the cheap

Like all things in life, it's possible if you make it a priority.

That's part of the current problem - the oldest Boomers are already 74, and many are slowing down/not driving as much as they once did. They inherited a lot of classic cars from their own parents, but there simply isn't as much interest among younger people. And that's a shame.

Attached: hot-rod-photo-shoot-101-jpg[1].3476276_.jpg (1200x800, 224K)

Classic cars represent a continuity with the past. They represent a heritage of freedom handed down from generation to generation. Now, that cord is being severed.

>Why aren't Millennials getting into classic cars, Jow Forums?
They don't even want to own their own cars. They would rather call an uber.

>I can barely afford the car and apartment I have now.
Get a job, or start hunting for a new one.

To be fair, drunk driving is treated much more seriously today than in the boomer era.

*crying statue of liberty*

>drunk driving is treated much more seriously today than in the boomer era.
Drinking is irrelevant. Driving represents freedom, at least it did in 2005 when I was old enough to get out and drive. Now days these entitled fuckwits have even decided to pay some glorified taxi driver for their freedom. They have no ambition to own anything, and then complain that they don't own anything.

Because they're fucking expensive to maintain and we'd rather spend that money on other things.
I'd rather have a better daily car than a worse one plus a "classic" that does nothing but collect dust in the garage (that I'd have to explicitly buy for it) 99% of the time.

Also you're more attached to cars because cars were the big deal when you were young. For me a copy of Pokèmon Blue holds a lot more nostalgia value than a random car from the '90s.

>we'd rather spend that money on other things.
Like avacado toast and tide pods.

I used to be into cars but I realized it was too frustrating. Park it somewhere and get door dings. Take it on interstate and rock cracks my windshield. Tree branch falls and fucks up my roof. Now I just drive a used Honda that is 100% reliable and gets great mileage. When I get a door ding I don't give a fuck. My new hobby is firearms and I enjoy it much more than having a money pit car.

Who the fuck ubers to get around town?

You uber in the vast majority of cases because you're going drinking or you're coming from an airport. Situations where people would have previously used a taxi, but now rideshare services are cheaper and people care about the bottom line.

>muh avocado toast
I'm not a fucktarded hipster from San Francisco, dude.
I spent my money buying a property near the mountains and I'm slowly fixing it up.

Attached: muh_property.jpg (3264x1952, 1.92M)

The market wants certain cars to be high end and thats over.

Your old Jeep has as many cool attributes as a 57 Chevy.

Eternal boomer advice.
Will you sell me your classic cars for a firm handshake if I lift myself up by the boostraps?

I just drive the cheapest car and live in the cheapest apartment I can tolerate living in and spend all my money on more important things instead of scraping myself thin to drive a fancy car that isn't any better than my current one and live in a big useless house

Driving doesn't represent freedom anymore you idiot.

That's what social media means, that what' EVERYONE carrying a cell phone with a megapixel camera and precise global positioning means. There is NO escape.

In the fifties you could fucking fall off the globe by just driving thirty miles to a different county and do anything you like, drive back by Sunday and nobody would be the wiser. Fifteen years ago you had to drive down into Mexico to 'escape' for Spring Break. Now you could fly all the way across the world and somebody is going to catch you in a facebook photo, an AI will tag it and all your relatives are going to know what you did in full color with audio before you even get sober enough to know what you did!

Yeah, also I used to lie to myself and tell myself that I liked working on my car, but I really fucking don't. It's just a nuisance.
I've been meaning to change my thermostat which is stuck open for over a month now, and I honestly can't be arsed.
I can't wait to buy an electric car in 2-3 years so I never have to put up with all the retarded shenanigans combustion engines pull all the time again.

>REEEEEEE WHY WON'T YOU SHELL OUT A FORTUNE FOR MY JUNKY OLD TRASHHEAP?!?

Boomer checking in.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-18-17-33-12-1.png (1440x1206, 2.57M)

Zoomers don't even want to deal with the responsibility of driving or maintenance of a car now. It's trendy to Uber and they figure they don't need a license, insurance, property tax, gas, maintenance (they have no idea how to do the most basic things like change oil or put on a spare tire). Oh and they don't have to buy a car of course. They figure it will cost the same or less to get around this way with none of the responsibilities of being a driver. Being self sufficient is a thing of the past for them, they use their smartphones and credit cards to go somewhere rather than doing it the way people have for so long.

collectors dont want resto-mods and commons. Less rare gems in AZ this year. Its a collector car market

Because *classic* to our generation means 90s, so I already drive classic cars. I picked up a '99 Lincoln towncar for $1500 from an old boomer who hadn't driven it in a long time but took good care of it. My other car is a '96 park avenue that I had to get a new engine for but was in otherwise perfect condition.

I'll care for those two cars as long as I live because they're great, comfy, classic cars. To me.

boomers HAD AN OBSESSION WITH OLD CARS

Literally sold our futures out so they could drive these things.

>Will you sell me your classic cars for a firm handshake
No, but if you aren't making enough, you have 2 options. Either make more, or work more. Nothing is stopping you from working more than 36 hours/week.

>Driving doesn't represent freedom anymore you idiot.
Than these people have no right to bitch that there are no jobs, or the jobs are terrible. If you aren't willing to commute for work, you might as well resign yourself to being a slave to the system.

Attached: euro headlamps.jpg (3264x1712, 3.8M)

Cause they're gay

as a millenial that graduated college in 2010 during the recession, I hate the idea of owning bullshit. anything that becomes more of a hassle when SHTF again is not needed. i don't need boomer bullshit that is a liability when the economy explodes again.

fuck all boomer bullshit

>gay
He comes the professional in the matter

Too god damned expensive for anything that would be a classic as per when I first got into cars... 50s and 60s stuff... I have a Mustang that just turned 25... so it's as classic as classics were when I was a kid I suppose. It gets gallons to the mile and I love the fucking thing.

>Spend an extra hour or two a day driving for your boss for free or else you're a slave to the system

Attached: tardation.jpg (490x427, 72K)

please paint it back too the solid white color, along with putting the roof back on.

The state will either enjoy it in full, or tax the fuck out of the poor cunt inheriting it. In fact most governments benefit from boomers dying quite considerably, it’s literally free money.

>And that's a big cultural shift
I've flipped a few back in the day but it's drying up, The days of finding an old barn kept original drive train muscle car are gone. Everything out there now is somebody's poor attempt building a hot rod. Today people are re-building wrecked hellcats and shit that have twice the horsepower and twice the drive ability on the street. The younger generation is doing it, just better and faster

21 year old Zoomer here, I'd rather have a cheap modern used car that is relatively cheap to fix with common available parts and gets more than double the MPG than a classic car does.
I hate Uber, but I also live in a rural area and my town has literally a single Uber driver, who also drives for Lyft because he doesn't get enough customers as an Uber driver.

I make an exception for old trucks, because they are just cool.
My dad had a 50s Ford Fairlane 500 but sold it because my mother refused to be in a car without seatbelts, and because it didn't have seatbelts the insurance for it was insane, and I think having a 60s Ford Galaxie or a Buick GSX would be really cool. I'd also love to have a Kaiser Jeep or something because those are neat.
But the fact of the matter is, why bother when you're going to get a less enjoyable driving experience (except with the GSX, that thing rocks, but I don't have the time or money to justify buying a vintage muscle car) and spend just as much if not more, buying and fixing up an old car as you would buying a modern used car.

I'm going to drive nothing but old ass Buick sedans from the late 90s/early 2000s until I can afford one of those new Ford econoboost trucks that gets like 25mpg, because new new Sedans have absolutely tiny cramped interiors and tiny trunks, to the point where buying a truck is the best vehicle for actually being able to be comfortable in and transport things.

>Zoomers don't even want to deal with the responsibility of driving or maintenance of a car now.
I'd die inside without a car, but honestly if I could make all the maintenance go away I would in a heartbeat.
I do have a few slightly younger colleagues (I'm 25) who still don't have a car, though. It really baffles me that someone would be willing to spend 2-3 hours a day on a noisy, cramped bus every day just to save 2000€/year on insurance and fuel.

If I took the bus to work it'd take me over 90 minutes longer than it currently does (round trip). Considering that an hour of my work is worth around 15€ that alone more than pays for the car.
Also having a car allows you to drive to cheaper supermarkets and shit so you get even more of that money back.

>$85000
>engine (not included) has matching numbers
>easy fix
>to finish just needs new floors, rear end, running gear, glass, wiring loom, interior
I KNOW WHAT I GOT

Cause that shit is stupid. Rather have a Camry than that old mans ride

I know you're not implying this but all these electric car pushers thinking that theirs will work when shit hits the fan, lol.

Zoomers don't know what its like to have disposable income. 80s babies got to enjoy the 80s, 90s, live it up in the early 2000s, and then buy up houses after the housing crisis for pennies on the dollar.

Keep being a slave. Slavery is a mentality. You either have it or you don't. If you don't have skills worthy of selling, you might as well curl up into a ball and die. You are useless if you believe you are.

The juice is loose.

>Culturally, these cars represent freedom - the "open road," mobility, and community with fellow gearheads.
You expect people with no sense of independence or self sufficiency to care enough about freedom and the open roads? They don't buy into it because they have been coddled all their lives and now require a parental figure to watch over them and take care of them because they can't function autonomously.

Sorry gramps but the kids are doing LS swaps in BMW's.

Attached: BMW357Ci1500457-1.jpg (764x1024, 358K)

How long do you think your ICE car will work for once SHTF?
Even if you can make your own fuel (via a gasifier for example), you'll run out of oil eventually.
If your SHTF plan relies on internal combustion engines in any way you're totally fucked.
The only thermal engines that are worth anything in SHTF are steam engines, because they run far cooler and slower, and can be lubricated with literally ANY kind of mineral or vegetable oil.

Maintenance on Italian cars could be difficult, however I assume you can also get Japanese cars, which are fairly easy to do your own maintenance on.
Mass transit is going to get dirtier and riskier as "refugees" all pile on and they will stab you for your iPhone.

cars aren't fun, driving is not fun
they're just a giant waste of money

> millennial / borderline gen-x
> most jobs I've had over last 12 years were 50 - 60/hr work weeks
> almost earned something
> first car was an AMC Hornet
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this.
kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1974-amc-matador-x/1409090138?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Commuting sucks.
Empty backroads, that's where driving is fun

>Slavery is when you don't have the skills to provide your master with a good return on investment
This is a magnificent string of non sequitur boomercliches, thanks for the lols friend.

When seething double check your posts. Sorry if I offended your love of another mans dick

"Italian cars" is a very broad term, we don't just make Ferraris you know. Regular FIATs are easy to maintain, especially the older models.
It's just that, living in an apartmente in a city, having to drive to a secluded parking spot somewhere to jack the car up and work on it is such a fucking chore.
I guess I wouldn't mind it as much if I lived in a house with a large backyard.

>iPhone
I'd like to reiterate again that I'm not a hipster, kek
I have a Xiaomi

Diesel. Pic related.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-18-18-01-57-1.png (1440x1494, 1.92M)

I’m a car guy but share your sentiment about homes. I could afford a big house but it’s such an insane waste of money to heat & cool a place I don’t need or would use.

t. Single dude in his 30s crying himself to sleep for not having a family but at least he’s not divorced with kids and alimony

Driving a city cuckmobile at 30 mph truly isn't fun.

Because the classic cars are newer years.

Right now I got two xjs I've been working on. An 89 and a 98. The 89 is more of a restoration deal, the 98 is getting ready for the mountain trip come June. My dad also got a bitching 80s crown vic were gonna refurb together. I havent seen the details yet, but I'm looking forward to refurbing it with him.

Honestly, call me a faggot but other than some of the old willy's jeeps I have no interest in anything past 76-80.

Diesel engines can run off of vegetable oil that you can loot from stores and kitchens. As long as you have shielded your ECU or have an old vehicle that does not use one, you can survive EMP and be able to drive in a post nuke apocalyptic world. You'll need 4 wheel drive, AT tires, and ground clearance to go off road where fried, wrecked cars are piled up in the streets/highways though.

>thanks for the lols friend.
No problem my slave friend. You gave me some laughs as well.

>I just drive the cheapest car and live in the cheapest apartment I can tolerate
I keep 2 "cheap" cars. I usually have a project car, but right now my project is my cheap farm house. I live out in the middle of nowhere, and paid less for my home than most people pay for a car. It will be paid off in 3 years or less. The goal is before I turn 40. It is a 4 bedroom farm house on 3 acres.

*SLURP*
THEY JUST DONT MAKE EM LIKE THEY USED TO
youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

Boomer posting with empty platitudes about how you don’t work hard enough is top tier lulz.
>if you just get your nose to the grindstone you’ll make it
>you need to learn the meaning of a dollar
>hard work is it’s own reward
Lol ok. I’ll get it on it! Thanks for clear and concise plan of action!

i drive a 15 year old tahoe and i do maintenance on it religiously. i will put 300k miles on it before i even think about getting rid of it

Would you mind coming up with some reasoning for why sitting in a traffic jam so you can make money for someone else is the essence freedom? I want to see how boomer you can go.

Good. I hope all your fucking awful-mpg, shitty, death-cage, old cars tank in value and you die on your fucking boomer deathbed crying about how your shitty toys dropped in value. Get the fuck off my planet

>boomermobiles are gonna be affordable in the next 10 years
Can't fuckin wait. So many "I saw one on Barret Jackson go for 1xx,xxx!"
I'm gonna buy a '70s challenger for like 8 grand. Feelsgoodman.

The problem isn't fuel, it's oil for the crankcase.
Vegetable oil will cake immediately with the high temperatures in an internal combustion engine, and there's only so much proper engine oil that you can stockpile (and eventually it will start breaking down on its own anyway).

I buy/sell cars. Young people want trendy shit like teslas and yes there are a lot of them who like classics but its just too expensive.. the answer to all of these "why don't young people buy x more or less than their parents" well its because the purchasing power and disposable income people have is in decline and young people are burdened with college debt working as baristas. Couple this with high cost of living and more competition in the job market due to immigration/globalization and you get the current scenario.. I say we build the wall, deport, take away women's right to vote, and euthanize non whites.

old cars are kinda gay

You can't shut a generation off from the wealth/stability that previous generations experienced then expect them to take up the previous generation's expensive hobbies.

It's also an age gap thing, more boomers own "classics" from their youth than a model t. If millenials were to own "classics" it would be a fucking mazda/honda or something.

Boomers literally collected and restored the cars of their youth.

Also fuck nigga, as a UAW union worker, I can barely afford my mortgage, how the fuck you expect me to afford upkeep on some old POS that gets 7 MPG? I'm driving a fucking 1997 gmc pickup with 204,000 miles.

theyre broke and half of them are shitskins with no respect or connection to our heritage. classic cars are for white people

>buying some casket that can't turn and has no safety features

hot rods deserve to die off

Ahh the classic avocado Ford roadster color scheme.

You do not get it then...
I'm 35 and my dd is a 66 c 10, and my weekend car is a 56. Cant stand new shit.

Like my RAM 1500 more.

>Would you mind coming up with some reasoning for why sitting in a traffic jam so you can make money for someone else is the essence freedom?
Freedom is knowing that you can find a job somewhere else and make more than you do now. Believing that you are stuck grinding away, including sitting in traffic like the spineless slave you are, is a sure sign of a defeated person. The only people who do dumb shit like that are desperate office cucks with meme degrees.

>In b4 more whataboutisms

I have no idea what you mean by "classic cars are struggling". In fact I feel that is an incredibly uninformed opinion. Collectors cars are fetching record prices at auctions. I work in the car business, I go to the auctions weekly.

Muh mileage!

I fucking hate you mpg faggots. Your the reason cars now are shitty RC cars with goddamned computerized everything that can't be worked on.

I'd love to own a classic. Just way too expensive at the time, and I do know a few friends with handed down classics

A prepper would likely have a few gallons of motor oil on hand, and regardless, if 90% of cars are fried by EMP or abandoned because of no gas, there will likely be abandoned stores, etc with engine oil left on the shelves.

>muh computers in cars

its been twenty years plus gramps let it go

Lol I agree. Parents think their kids will remember that one time their Camry got 30 mpg.

>Regular FIATs are easy to maintain, especially the older models.
If you can find one that didn't dissolve into a pile of iron oxide after it saw rain for the first time that is.

>talks about the difficulty of working on cars
>never worked on a car in their life

electric cars will last longer than ICE cars if you have a steam powered generator or solar panels

And what generation was in charge of auto design during the 80's and 90's when electronics in cars became mainstream?

generation x yuppies

>they still own millions of dollars worth of possessions?
Implying their shit worth anything.

Attached: c1cb5c974722d414290fb110ac072df0--hummel-figurines-wiedersehen.jpg (236x374, 11K)

>What are they replacing it with?
smart phones and avocado toast

Attached: 1454303059194.jpg (1050x1080, 462K)

so you dont want efficient vehicles that you dont have to sell your kidney to pump gas when it goes up to 5 bucks a gallon? dont you care about global warming? I drive a mini cooper and its the best thing out there, my only wish was that everyone drove something as small so I dont get crumbled by some hick like yourself in his lifted pickup

>Zoomer pussy with no skills or work ethic thinks he has it rough

The issue of global warming: Millionares that have a larger carbon footprint in a month that you ever will in your life telling you to reduce your carbon footprint

>durr muh rust
I had a Mk 3 Golf and it had far more rust on it than the Fiat Punto that replaced it, even though the Punto was older. Both of them used on heavily salted roads.

this, steam engines will last forever. they are easy to make parts for, they can run on anything, and they can be lubricated with fucking pig fat(which was the norm until petroleum motor oil was invented). buy steam powered vehicles for shtf.
he meant crankcase oil dumbass

>the generations are fighting among themselves for the breadcrumbs

Attached: 1468183380727-4.jpg (782x1080, 87K)