So whatever happened to "Net Neutrality"?

So whatever happened to "Net Neutrality"?

Attached: DfaihIzWAAAD9uD.jpg (940x788, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hightechforum.org/fact-checking-net-neutrality-violations/
dailycaller.com/2018/08/14/net-neutrality-us-ranking/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Isn't that already the internet we have? I pay for a VPN after all

Attached: rita.jpg (259x194, 7K)

Was the freakout justified?

Attached: uvu8bvx1xx301.png (1286x898, 122K)

hightechforum.org/fact-checking-net-neutrality-violations/

after sopa/pipa failed they rebranded it and tried to slip the same things in under the guise of muh bits

sopa/pipa wasnt about 'piracy' either, that was just the thing they used to try and get the government deep packet inspection mandate pushed through, which is what they wanted from net neutrality - of course they are already doing this and monitoring all traffic but they need to make it legal before they can use it openly against you with out tipping their hand

Attached: netneutrality.png (1260x6666, 2.09M)

So I can continue not using piece of shit websites such as reddit, instagram, and facebook AND save money on my Xfinity bill by doing so? Ending NN sounds fucking awesome!

Net neutrality protections have existed since 1995 and the only noticeable impact of the 2014-2017 title 2 protections was to make throttling more covert.

No. Nothing happened and the internet actually got faster when the repeal was announced. Plebbit absolutely BTFO by based Ajit Pai.

Attached: Screen-Shot-2018-08-14-at-10.58.28-AM.png (564x958, 204K)

dailycaller.com/2018/08/14/net-neutrality-us-ranking/

The entire front page of Reddit was littered with these retarded red boxes. People were posting pictures of their congresspeople saying "this man got money from ISPs" Subreddits that had nothing to do with politics were starting commotion about how this "net neutrality" repeal was going to destroy their hobby and their lives.

To think *this* amount of butthurt was by one man, who wasn't even trying.

Attached: 1531872869230.jpg (617x799, 174K)

They're waiting, sort of.

Attached: streaming.png (1178x700, 34K)

This coincides with Comcast eliminating some lower tier plans and migrating many customers to a 250mbps plan. I'd be willing to bet that spike in speed you see is due to people being forced to over subscribe.

Not that it has anything to do with net neutrality one way or the other.

>250mbps plan
The fuck is a 250mbs plan? I can only get 100 if I screw somebody here, 50 is cheap enough though. My sister lives three miles away and they have to go satellite, or whatever the fuck it is and have data limits of 100GB a month. They've thought about talking to all their neighbors to defray the 1,000's in costs to run a line down the few roads. Cityfag.

You're talking about national statistics, obviously we were going to talk about suburbs and cities where the majority of people live. in cities people are being pushed to oversubscribe.
So for alot of companies itll be like 10mbps(too little) 250 mbps(too much) then the 1g speed with maybe a 500mb speed in the middle, if you're lucky. You have to get transferred to the retention line to get put on a more reasonable 75-150 plan.

Do you think that spike in speed is because internet companies are improving rural connections, out of the kindness of their hearts?

t. retard who knows absolutely nothing of what was repealed

The ability to control the flow of data based on content. That's literally the entire point.

What did you think this was about?

>The ability to control the flow of data based on content. That's literally the entire point.
That's not what was repealed, brainlet. What was repealed was government control of leasing lines. Now a company can put down new lines without leasing government property, which was practically impossible. Maybe you should stop believing everything you read, because retards like you write about it.

This didn't repeal eminent domain and city ownership of lines, where the fuck did you get that idea?

>This didn't repeal eminent domain and city ownership of lines, where the fuck did you get that idea?
I didn't say they did you stupid fuck. They repealed the NEED TO RENT THEM.

It was just Netflix trying to get government kickbacks

and im saying you're just 100% wrong, net neutrality didn't affect ISP's dealing with municipal governments in the ownership of lines. You're thinking of a completely separate thing that has very little to do with the FCC.

Net neutrality was about prioritization of certain types of data.

Yes, because government regulation hasn't ever gotten horribly corrupt and fucked us all in the ass, has it?

I have noticed zero difference in my internet from the time before net neutrality to when we had neutrality to then back again when we didn't have net neutrality

>10mbps(too little) 250 mbps(too much) then the 1g speed with maybe a 500mb speed in the middle, if you're lucky.
M question is the price, 50$ a month for 50mbs, no contract. Technically rural, small city, but the region is otherwise quite populated as a whole. What's 250 look like in price? 150$? I think its 89$ for 100mbs.

>Net neutrality was about prioritization of certain types of data.
Net neutrality has more that one title attached to it. They only repealed one. The one king nigger made to give the government more power over data. Maybe you should fucking read the bills before you start sperging out.

some claim they can't torrent and get "stop doing this shit" letters so they have to buy VPNs
what really happened was, that netflix and amazon build their own datacenters on promise with the cable companies and those then decided that it wouldn't be good to deliver reasons to Pai that his "free market will solve this" shtick didn't work
you see lots of reddit post from people having issues with blocking/pressured to oversubscribing, but the tactics are more guerilla than open

>pretending to have read the bill
>pretending the other person is upset when you're the one that's visibly flustered

You're just wrong, you don't need to admit it or anything, just stop posting. Municipal line ownership hasn't changed.

Do you have problems with Netflix blocking your VPN?

They don't just change the rules then fuck you over, they change the rules, then wait, then fuck you over.
When you complain they can say the rules have been that way for ages.

I don't remember exactly, i always just call when my contract is up and get my 130mbps plan back(which ends up being like 150-200mbps. i pay like 87 bucks, i think there's a 10 dollar modem/router rental in there. If i bothered to go get those it'd probably be like 77 a month after taxes and whatnot. At a glance it'd be 115 to get the 250 plan, but they'd make me get cable.(i tried to get answers for you but you know how their websites are, they aren't designed to be forthcoming with pricing info)

Other providers in my area are more expensive but in my area Comcast actually does a really good job, so i stick with them. I think ive been down maybe 3 hours collectively in the past 2 years.

Nope. It was all bullshit, as usual. Speeds got significantly better in my area, with only a small increase in price at my current tier and no price increase for the ISP's top tier offer.

>I think ive been down maybe 3 hours collectively in the past 2 years.
Thanks for taking the time sir. This last one seems to be the biggest difference. I'll be down 20-25hrs while after work throughout the year.

Idk

Comcast has competition in my area, Frontier(Verizon at the time) started laying fiber lines, suddenly Comcast started sending out techs to work on lines around the neighborhood. We're also on track to add huge chunks of population as my poor little suburb gets eaten by the city.