/ETM/ Earth to Mars

Usual OP is still stuck in the rocket lab. I don't have his texts, but let's see whether we get a discussion started.

/ETM/ is posted every Saturday.

Goal is to discuss what it takes to establish a European (*) colony on Mars. From engineering to culture to activism, all relevant topics are encouraged.

(*) as in people of European origin, not just the cucks on that specific continent

Attached: mars-01.jpg (1500x844, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8
b-ok.cc/book/2494830/138670
youtube.com/watch?v=tcy7HpMpSHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Now with OP's texts.

"Thus, the central objection raised against the human settlement and terraforming of Mars: Such projects may be technologically feasible, but there is no possible way that they can be paid for. On the surface, the arguments given supporting this position appear cogent, for Mars is a distant place, difficult to access, and possesses a hostile environment that holds no apparent resources of economic value. These arguments appear ironclad, yet it must be pointed out that they were also presented in the past as convincing reasons for the utter impracticality of the European settlement of North America and Australia."
Robert Zubrin, The Case for Mars.

The true future of the European is to be out there amongst the stars, and how are we going to achieve that future ? There are obviously a number of things that must happen here on earth which will contribute towards a total victory but no matter what, we must ensure that /ourguys/ (that's you, Jow Forums) make it to Mars and are on the red planet from the very beginning.

Unlike other threads, /etm/ is not about direct funding, but about taking advantage of the commercial emigration scheme that will eventually come into play.

Attached: mars-03.jpg (1280x720, 156K)

At the moment /etm/ is normally posted once a week every saturday around 10pm GMT and is a place on Jow Forums to speak about all things space related. Please try to ignore the flat-earth fags.

comfy videos

>NEW BFR Overview
youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA

>Educational Doc on Terraforming Mars:
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4

>Space X Interplanetary Transport System:
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t

>"Making Life Interplanetary" by Elon Musk:
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t

>3 Companies Developing Game Changing Technologies
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24

>Isaac Arthur - "Outward Bound - Colonising Mars"
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8

>Isaac Arthur - Mars: From science fiction, to science fact
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ

>Challenges of Colonizing Mars!
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8

Attached: mars-04.jpg (3852x2500, 843K)

Case For Mars, Bob Zubrin
The High Frontier by Gerard O'Neill
Colonies in Space, by T. A. Heppenheimer
Rocket Propulsion Elements, Sutton
Space Mission Engineering, the new SMAD, Wiley, ed.
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics, Bates, etc
Mining the Sky, John Lewis
Rain of Iron and Ice, John Lewis

Attached: case-for-mars.jpg (2448x3264, 2.29M)

Attached: why-space.jpg (984x5139, 2.14M)

Next week we should start on time and prepare content for Q2 2019 to work on.

Attached: spacex-starhopper.jpg (780x1171, 55K)

Attached: nice-space-thingy.jpg (800x800, 173K)

Attached: spacex-prophecy.jpg (1222x973, 590K)

Attached: mars-ascendant-1.jpg (1200x1855, 652K)

Attached: mars-02.jpg (800x500, 382K)

Man, in this thread I feel like a pioneer settler on Mars. Alone. :(

Attached: mars-ascendant-logo-1.png (1080x1080, 104K)

Needs diversity

Fake shit, gay shit, sage

What have Latin American countries to contribute? Outside the Atacama Desert that's good for Mars analog tests.

Attached: mars-ascendant-logo-2.png (700x450, 15K)

Attached: mars-ascendant-logo-3.png (700x450, 23K)

Bump, busy. Have to sleep, have a quote that works.

Attached: quot.png (1280x720, 1.03M)

Howdy rocketbro. Sleep well, return next Saturday.

bump

usual OP here. i was busy and then i forgot to make a thread! thanks for making it. i'll remember next week at the normal time.

next week at 10pm m8. see you there

Great. Have a good week.

why would whites move to a toxic desert?
kikes will be there anyway

thanks marsposter
Do you think using the STS to build a transfer vehicle in LEO could have been a viable option using ISS-derived modules and equipment?

Attached: STS-135 Atlantis Landing.jpg (1100x731, 81K)

We have a history of turning unwelcoming lands into paradises. We also have a history of losing them because we turn soft. With both lessons we should go to Mars.

Does this scenario even make sense? Anyway, STS wasn't viable and is in the past. The upcoming (private) options are concrete and are built for sustainability and scalability.

we're not leaving this rock kike

We're a planetary virus that will die on its first host as we don't know how to respectfully live on a perfect planet to begin with.

I didn't mean bringing them out of retirement fucker
I meant if instead of shutting it down after ISS was completed, the program's new mission would be to construct a transfer vehicle in the way the STS was originally designed for.

Attached: STS-89 Endeavour docked to Mir.jpg (3060x2040, 902K)

Attached: STS-41-B Challenger.jpg (842x1280, 97K)

To answer you question: no, not a viable option. The then existing STS fleet was too few, too expensive, couldn't launch often enough. How many transfer vehicles would that get you? How long would that take and cost? Not viable for any exploration and settlement activity. Just my opinion, don't ask me to put numbers on it right now.

Nice pics though.

The Space Race is already started. Not only scientists will take off into the solar system, it will eventually become public domain for workers and settlers. Asteroid mining is predicted to be unparalleled to any current profitable means of business.
The unpredictable factor is the sheer abundance of mineable asteroids and the emergence of competing mining companies, though value of the resources will likely remain profitable as there is also an expanding population in off world colonies.
Things will get interesting when plans to build an anti matter factory start being develop. The first one to weaponize antimatter will have superior dominance over anyone else.
So in short term, the space race is to asteroid mining which can financially and materially supply a company to the possibility of the second space race which will be about control.
The lives of miners and colonists will be entirely controlled by the organization in charge. There will be slavery, there will be unknown break-away societies, there will be annihilation between warring factions and companies.
Governments as we know it will be of the past.
The human race will consist of a slave class and those of a higher rank who will be in constant competition with other companies.
There is no way earth governments to indefinitely restrict entrepreneurs to leave earth and get rich. There is too much at stake.
The ones to act now give their offspring the chance to be part of the ruling elite later.

The precedent is for this outcome is already set with anyone sending anything into orbit. There will be no unity among people living and working off earth, and no ethics or functional laws.

Sounds like the intro to an 80s sci-fi flick.

Earth-stuck governments might lose control, but there will always be rules, even if ad hoc and informal. No group is viable without any order, loose or strong.
No unity among the human species as such, that's probably true. Competition, not the Star Trek fantasy world. We'll take old rivalries with us and create new ones.

Space mining will certainly be important. Question is how much of it will be brought to Earth and how much will be utilized for space-based activities. The economics of that are still not clear though, so speaking of immense riches is a bit early.

Bump

and how the fuck are these asteroids that are the size of Rhode Island going to support themselves?

No law during the first phase until it ends, when one faction starts to use weaponized antimatter. Then there will be rules.
By that time it's impossible to predict what the rules will look like. You don't know the goals and moral compass of the ones in charge. Their convictions and beliefs either. And when that time has finally come, I find it hard to think of a next horizon beyond the solar system.
The human race will simply be given time to conquer it all.
Based on what I know I think this is an accurate timeline on what the next centuries will look like.
If somebody weaponizes antimatter it's like holding a magic want with which you can wish anyone and anything out of existence. It's like you would have the power of a god. The race to realize that will be a war of itself. If there was a law to prohibit the research into the technology, it will be a lie for whoever makes the law to get there first.

Build a fucking mining drill on it with miners mining for their spacekike master.

logistically you nigger as in food and fucking water
Also dumping a few American spaceflight photos to bump

Attached: AS09ascentstage.jpg (337x315, 26K)

wow you people are dumb
we've been on the moon since the 30's and mars since the 50's
call yourself Ass to Mouth instead

>food and fucking water
we invented these things a very long time ago

Mars sucks.
Moon is better.
Fuck mars.

Attached: moon_birds.png (641x393, 4K)

jesus fuck

Attached: STS-104 Launch.jpg (1280x1280, 113K)

Look at that fucking hammered aluminum.
Looks like fucking shit like they were stapling tin on a fucking house.
Nigger can't afford a cone look at that turbulence it would make.

Attached: 1528113879892.jpg (960x649, 91K)

Attached: AzoFeJYCAAAsqPE.jpg (520x413, 95K)

probably some kind of durable protective sheet

Attached: as16-116-18678_medium.jpg (1271x1280, 159K)

Naw nigger, look at the divits in it going fast as fuck is going to create turbulence just like if you were to take a ballpeen to a .556.
Your gyroscope or similar system would have to make so many fucking corrections.
The one on the right looks like it was photo shopped.

Wait the left might be decorative.

this is on audible
over 14 hours of comfy
just register an account and use the free credit to get it

Attached: book.png (1078x520, 256K)

It might just as well have a stable flight. The vessel will have a vacuum layer around it due to air pressure traveling at such speeds.

I can't comment on antimatter. I assume that's off for some time anyway (if otherwise, say so). I just care about the next 30-50 years. Beyond that it becomes difficult to predict and plan and one is stuck with too general statements.

>Canada
>Little thing attached to America
>Moon also little thing attached to Earth
Your country biases your thinking.

That wasn't intended to be strong. That's for tethered hopper tests.

Or download the book instead:
b-ok.cc/book/2494830/138670

That was the first hopper before the nose cone blew over in the wind. They decided to just go ahead without the nose cone instead of rebuilding it because it was literally just for looks.
It will never fly high enough to need to be aerodynamic or need any sort of thermal protection.

The second (fill scale) hopper is being built now, and has a bit sturdier looking construction. It's still just a hopper though so it doesn't need to be built to the same tolerances as the actual spacecraft will.

Anything on mars is on the moon.
Wasting money to go to mars to build an instable colony that will fail in a matter of months if that years without no outplan is the most stupidest thing that anyone would back.
Every mineral can be found on the moon and it has H3 which can be used as a alternative to fossil fuel.
AND we will learn more by building a colony on a barren environment than on a semi- temperate planet.
Further more this will allow us due to its lower gravity to mass produce ships with fuel and make it into a pseudo starport making not only mars more feasible to colonize after but every other planet in the solar system.
And if there is a colony failure, no worries just hope on a ship or wait for a rescue ship that is on days away rather than months.
Furthermore you are a shill memeflaggot and possibly a jew, you are a decisive species and when your species is finally eliminated there will be peace between the races.
Moon is better,
people who want to colonize mars are fucking stupid.

Ok, can't wait to see testing on the chubby rocket.

Attached: STS-125.jpg (4288x2844, 1.61M)

Mars is too hot. Let's go somewhere colder.

Are you fucking retarded?

Attached: sts057-s-053_medium.jpg (836x1280, 122K)

>cuckgloos

The next 30-50 years will give opportunity for the first pioneers to make something worthwhile for the decades after it to build on. There will probably be a dozen important figures to take significant steps. They'll be mostly forgotten in 200 years though, when thousands are expected to live off earth permanently. You and I are not going to notice anything from the advances in the next decades. All we'll get to see is inspiring and daring entrepreneurs taking risks, making progress and losses.
Space exploration is not profitable yet for anyone in their lifetime. For now it's purely an idealistic endeavor. Something to achieve.
Therefor, everything that does get to leave our planet within the next 50 will be according to very strict planning and regulations, because how costly and tedious it all is to realize. Nothing nefarious or sinister will happen. It's all simply in the spirit of virtue in these early stages.
I doubt Mars will be visited by humans within my lifetime. I don't doubt that people are willing to take the risk and I think it is possible. I just think that there will be more focus on advancing technology, government regulations, getting more satellites and space stations into orbit, testing, etc.
Tough it is certainly a possibility that I am wrong. I just think that right now people would rather rely on improved technology than start a project with the lesser, currently available options. Which requires time.

>Anything on mars is on the moon.
Gravity on the Moon = 1/6 and Mars = 1/3. Might make a long-term difference.

>Every mineral can be found on the moon
Is this really true? And in sufficient quantities?

>it has H3
True. Have you looked at the effort it takes to mine it? It's grams per metric tons. Then we don't have sufficient knowledge about its distribution, so much prospecting still has to be done. And then we'd need fusion power to utilize it, which we still don't have, despite expensive public efforts and perhaps promising but unproven private initiatives. Not to rule it out, but it's not there and betting on it is a huge liability.

>mass produce ships with fuel and make it into a pseudo starport
The Moon as a cosmic gas station could be fine. As a colony not so much.

>there will be peace between the races.
Empirically wrong. Races fight each other in the absence of Jews as well.

Something about this mockup gives me hope for the future.

Build a rocket, and I will give my life to settle a new world. If you can build a suitable ship, you can find me.

Attached: 1545594978385.gif (307x292, 2.69M)

and my axe

>just register an account and use the free credit to get it
hey user save your shillstein goldberg costume for halloween

>Space exploration is not profitable yet for anyone in their lifetime.
There's the old saying that you can make a small fortune in space--provided you started with a large one.
But that's changing.

>everything that does get to leave our planet within the next 50 will be according to very strict planning and regulations, because how costly and tedious it all is to realize.
National authorities will love to point out their importance and come up with and enforce regulations. But there will be enough room for private risk-taking attempts. Space costs are coming down in several ways. Launch costs, new materials (weight, robustness), better engineering tools, improved manufacturing etc.

Too early for settlement. Now we need engineers, entrepreneurs, activists/lobbyists.

Attached: STS-93 Chandra-IUS.jpg (2352x2400, 421K)

Last I checked we couldn't even contain antimatter for more than 16 mins.

Electric propulsion will be the future of efficient long distance space travel in the long run. Hell, Northrup Grumann and NASA are making ion drives that operate around 100kW that can get to mars in 40 days. They will become exceedingly relevant when we are able to use nuclear power in space because their effective speed in proportional only to the square root of the voltage across the plasma/ion chamber.

Attached: sts073-309-007-sts-073-night-view-of-city-lights-taken-from-shuttle-columbia-6eab36-1600.jpg (1600x1007, 1.07M)

And my bow

>ion drives
I'm sure once they're a viable option, they'll be used. But we're not reliant on it. Guess that's the beauty of concepts like Mars Direct, that we can use what we already have and incorporate innovations later.

True for now. But they will be here sooner than you may realize. Especially since a large company like Northrup grumann is getting in on them. But yes in the mean time just getting a permanent real human presence in space is the most important thing.

Nothing against Northrup, but when they develop it together with NASA on the government's terms and timelines, then we'll wait for them longer than necessary. Though that's just my mild anti-gov skepticism speaking here perhaps.

That was quite a nice thread. And 4.5 hours. Not bad.

we need stick welders in space
they will keep our Mars cyclers in the right orbit

youtube.com/watch?v=tcy7HpMpSHY

Attached: moonbase apu.jpg (1200x630, 549K)

These threads are fucking retarded. Im as 1488 as any other /poltard, but if you unironically want to colonize mars for some hitler jerkoff fuckhead fantasy you need to unironically gas yourself immediately. Mars is public property.

Nobody here's talking about Hitler. And Mars belongs to those who claim it and defend their claim.