Political Talk in Steam Railroading

Recently, there's been conversations about allowing individuals that are classified as having "special needs" to be official crew for steam locomotives in various programs. I ask you Jow Forums, what's your opinion on this issue?

Attached: 4449.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,984669
youtu.be/ETfiUYij5UE
up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm
railwayage.com/freight/class-i/matt-rose-less-is-not-better/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Perhaps fuel for said steam locomotives would be a better use

explain to me legit reasons why those with special needs should NOT be allowed to be official members of steam locomotive crews?

Because I don't need a team of tards to help me shunt your mum's rear caboose

who is John Galt?

that's not a legit reason, u haven't explained to me actual realistic scenarios that could happen if such a thing were to happen, heck it took steam railroading 150 years for a woman to do it, why can't the special needs?

I like trains.

That's a cool concept.

A few years ago the Union Pacific line pulled the Big Boy out and began using it to pull freight out west, running on waste oil from its diesel electrics. Big cost savings measure.

Give some special kids a chance to go along with the crew and learn some shit. Might be a good thing.

Steam train fan here (not special needs afaik):

The main thing from a legal standpoint is the following phrase: Bona fide occupational qualification. Meaning, in this case, does having special needs prevent you from doing the bare minimum requirements of the job? The first thing that I think of when I think of "train crew" is the cab crew: the engineer and fireman. Because it is very, very easy to get nasty burns, and not monitoring the locomotive correctly can cause collisions, derailments, and the boiler exploding, that's probably not a good fit for a special needs person. Something that would be a good fit would be something like the guy that washes or polishes the train, or some other mundane task where errors don't result in certain death.

tl;dr: the main question is what specific job that the special needs person will have on the train crew. If mistakes don't equal death, fine; if no, then not fine.

Attached: SP 4449 Backhead (the end of the boiler in the cab where all the knobs and doo-hickies are located). (1024x712, 359K)

>A few years ago the Union Pacific line pulled the Big Boy out and began using it to pull freight out west
you're thinking of either the challenger 3985 or 844

Oh vey. Did I wake up in 1900 again?

>A few years ago the Union Pacific line pulled the Big Boy out and began using it to pull freight out west

I think you mean the Challenger (slightly smaller version of the Big Boy). The Big Boy they are restoring to operation is being completed this year.

Attached: UP 3985 Challenger.jpg (720x498, 56K)

Big Boy.

It was in their museum. Bastard is huge.

All that war business happening in South Africa is quite the Boer.

Attached: Mafikeng_Second_Boer_War.jpg (640x324, 36K)

>Bastard is huge.
It's really shocking how big standard gauge rail equipment is when you actually see it up close in person. Seeing them in pictures doesn't have the same effect.

Attached: Ringling Museum.jpg (2576x1448, 1.04M)

let me ask you this, have you personally seen anybody with special needs come up and show you that they know everything involving the mechanics, restoration, operation, and firing of steam locomotives?

Because they're retarded and will fuck up the steam engine somehow.

give me 5 good reasons on such

My point is special needs people would not be involved in those types of jobs; they would be doing mundane work like taking tickets or cleaning the restrooms on board.

>The Big Boy they are restoring to operation is being completed this year.
holy shit that's awesome I hope they tour it right away that's going to be amazing to see.
>yuropoors will never know what it feels like to see such a powerful beast moving on rails
I feel bad for them

I have an IQ of 60. I know nothing of the sort, but I'd like to learn, as long as you call me a good boy and prepare me a dinner of steak and taters every night after a long day of big boy work.

This is unacceptable. Soon they’ll want to be let into the telegraph rooms. Imagine the repercussion. One mistake and we could end up at war with Prussia

so what am I suppose to make of that? that the special needs don't have any potential to do such things with steam trains?

1) Forget to release the pressure
2) Let the boiler go dry
3) Forget to keep the fire smouldering overnight so the entire thing cools down and it takes forever to get going again
4) Get burned while stoking, panic, and leave the fire door open
5) Just plain crash the fucker

BTW, if you include autism as special needs, then that's a resounding "yes".

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

Why not let them do whatever their aptitude is?
Jobs for all.

>so what am I suppose to make of that? that the special needs don't have any potential to do such things with steam trains?

Special needs people will only be excluded from the parts of the operation where lives are at stake (i.e.: where having average intelligence or higher is a bona fide occupational qualification). Doing things like sorting baggage is not one of those.

Because they're inefficient.

>One mistake and we could end up at war with Prussia

With our state-of-the-art fleet of dreadnoughts, they wouldn't dare!

Attached: 1024px-USS_Texas_BB-35.jpg (1024x983, 217K)

mfw I am training to become a freight conductor

Attached: Screenshot 2019-03-23 at 10.29.30 PM.png (504x496, 261K)

Those cabbage-eating frog-marchers? A taste of cold british steel will send them packing.

>1) Forget to release the pressure
>2) Let the boiler go dry
>3) Forget to keep the fire smouldering overnight so the entire thing cools down and it takes forever to get going again
>4) Get burned while stoking, panic, and leave the fire door open
>5) Just plain crash the fucker

There is more to crewing a steam train than driving the locomotive and monitoring the boiler. I think that's a major piece of info that most of the naysayers ITT are missing.

>training for a job that's already being replaced by automation
lmao, you won't have a job in 10 years.

so here's the thing, i'm a steam locomotive engineer at a big time tourist railroad. Over the years, u get to see a lot of kids but most of them don't stand out.
There's one kid I will always remember that shocked the living heck out of me.
>8 years old
>high functioning autism
Told me interesting stuff about the parts, history, and operation of the steam locomotive that I was operating that day. I'm a compassionate guy and I let him and his dad up in the cab of the locomotive. And I can tell that by the tone of his voice that he's autistic. So since he amazed me with his knowledge on that specific train, I decided to give him a little test on all of the controls of both the fireman and engineer side of the cab and the correct way to operate said controls, various signals (hand/radio). He answered every question on that "test" correctly, 100%. So, I decided to make that one day of his life a memorable one by putting him in the engineer's seat and letting him operate the locomotive by himself (I just sat back and watched him work his magic) during the excursion run. I was blown away and jaw dropped after everything was said and done. Honestly, that kid operated the locomotive better than most of our engineers with years of experience can (this isn't a joke). And ever since then, I have made sure that management hears about this kid and the potential he has and also allowing the kid to have all the steam railroading opportunities he can until he gets older, which then he has to truly earn that opportunity by climbing up the ladder.

They can't even automate signals at points in the rail network, I doubt they can automate trains for a long, long time.

T. electric train driver.

Fuck that. Special needs won't be able to cut it. You'll end up with inefficiency or accidents. Your choice.
>t. certified locomotive engineer

>big time tourist railroad
Which one?

grand canyon railway, the locomotive was the 4960

and btw, idk bout u but I that kid may be the youngest individual in American history to ever operate a steam train
I could be wrong
however there is another example of a 10 year old operating 2 steam trains during an excursion run at mt rainier scenic railroad back in 2005
trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,984669
unfortunately, the photos are small (for ants)

Why the fuck are you americans still using steam trains.

if by "special needs" you mean "crippling autism", you'll find no better crew for your steam locomotive.

100% of people who want to crew a steam locomotive have crippling autism, this is a fact.

Attached: fiteme.jpg (640x960, 89K)

Hey guys, quick question.

Have you seen any person of color at a steam railway?

The closest I saw were some Chinese people, but they were looking at a Chinese engine.

yep

I think the clinically retarded should be put in charge of the nuclear stockpile, passenger airplanes any large trucks and heavy machinery. I also think that the police force should be staffed entirely by sub Saharan black men and all surgeons should be aboriginal Australians or Papua New Guineans. This is the only way to achieve true vibrant diversity which is obviously the most important thing in the world.

>Why the fuck are you americans still using steam trains.

I dunno. Why are Australians still using steam trains?

Attached: 20020758411_1ce3ee5f92_b.jpg (1024x576, 159K)

>Have you seen any person of color at a steam railway?
In my personal experience, yes, but it's far from the norm. It's a shame, because Black people specifically made up a huge chunk of the railroad industry workforce a century ago. They would often be hired as cooks, porters, and even firemen.

Sup fellow trainfags, I got to see this little kettle in action earlier this month. Shit was so cash. One of the best railfan excursions I've ever been on.

Attached: SP_18_RockwoodCanyon_March_5_2019.jpg (3264x2448, 1.58M)

Again, there's more to working steam trains than driving the locomotive. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to wash windows.

I had a pair of lesbians on a train I took earlier this month
>pic related

Wait, is this still Jow Forums?

Idk much about steam locomotives but my uncle is an engineer for NS (no sense) and there's a lot you have to know driving a train, mainly regulating it's speed. Trains are so heavy there's so much momentum that it takes miles to slow down appropriately. If you miss a signal or interpret it incorrectly you have to use your judgement to ensure safe train speeds else yo u could risk derailment

I see it's on the D&S, which means it's a three-footer. I'm guessing it was visiting that line. Where is it normally based?

Im in the navy subforce and I can tell you clinically retarded are in charge of nuclear weapons at all levels. Its mainly thr sheer bureaucracy that prevents said people from reaching the point of destruction.

NZ based right out of the gate

Attached: nice3.png (600x595, 560K)

hey that's here in Portland.

Anyone is going to see Big Boy About to be live and run?

Because letting a tard opperate 200 tons of steel, boiling water and irreplaceable historical trains is a bad idea.

Fingers crossed for accidental Armageddon

Attached: 1553267799372.jpg (736x981, 47K)

The railroads are managed by retards, might as well get some retards on the locomotives too. Pic related (it's a retard).

Attached: download (1).jpg (183x275, 18K)

I found this pic of it on its Wikipedia article. I think it's an excellent encyclopedic example of the difference in size between standard and narrow gauge (three feet in this instance). Since most people these days only encounter working steam trains at theme parks, the narrow gauge size will be more familiar to them.

Attached: Southern_Pacific_narrow_and_standard_gauge_1953.jpg (1028x828, 202K)

Relevant
youtu.be/ETfiUYij5UE

No, this /dampflok/ now
18 is from Independence, CA and will run I believe in Laws, CA when it is done on the D&S. They are trying to restore the Keeler branch out there.

Anyone here fans of 18xx

Attached: 30f92c0c0a64b1ae050ec4a7308b6b0b.jpg (650x366, 29K)

>Wait, is this still Jow Forums?
Mostly, yes, due to the based comments ITT, but not quite. That can be corrected if someone blames something on the Jews.

Is there anyone going to see BIG BOY runs?

I am going there THIS MAY!

Here a link for the schedule
up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

Attached: 4870769C-09E4-4DD2-AAB9-8800C3C5853F.png (1536x2048, 290K)

Wall Street Jews are destroying America's railways. Seriously though.

>trainorders
I never thought I'd see another poster from there on here.

It's supposed to be ready in time for the big 150th Anniversary celebration of the Golden Spike Ceremony in Utah. All it takes is a plane ticket to Salt Lake City, or Cheyenne (where the UP steam program is based) to see it. After that, it will probably be doing regular excursion runs.

awww well you know you can always go live in a black neighborhood little David

>And that kid's name?
>Albert Einstein.
Get the fuck out of here with this LARPing shit.

Attached: bornaucoustic.jpg (1200x1355, 140K)

I have an idea, how about we turn steam locomotives into a symbol of White Supremacy? I mean the literally are part of white identity

Attached: Seattle, Portland & Spokean #900.jpg (1024x634, 241K)

Precision Scheduled Railroading is based!

Attached: RI_5116_Bureau_IL_4_17_52_s3.jpg (1000x537, 180K)

this

ooh pretty

Attached: Union Pacific #3801.jpg (780x450, 72K)

I'd like to, but I'll probably be riding the Jacobite in Scotland at that time.

Attached: T&P806longview.jpg (790x352, 82K)

See: With that formality out of the way, this is now officially a Jow Forums thread. Thanks user. BTW, you don't have to be a Wall Street Jew to screw up railroads; your average White person can do the same just by their shear ignorance on the topic alone.

please explain

Skyline Casing is a Jewish Trick

Attached: Union Pacific #815.jpg (700x555, 37K)

The older UP challengers are industrially handsome

Attached: WP254KeddieSep41939GuyLDunscomb.jpg (1000x716, 332K)

Yeah its actually pretty sad that of all of UPs challenegers only two are left. Would have been nice to even have just one Fetter Challenger

Attached: Union Pacific #3800.jpg (1200x819, 559K)

>>Albert Einstein.
?????
He didn't once say the kid's name.

THE KID'S NAME WAS ROCK JOHNSON
>ROCK JOHNSON

BLASPHEMOUS
>picrel

Attached: SP4310LosAngelesUPTDec1952.jpg (1000x599, 834K)

>how about we turn steam locomotives into a symbol of White Supremacy?
The fanbase is almost entirely White, but I say no. I want to be able to talk about trains to people who are not fans and possibly get them interested, without having to worry about them thinking I'm racist and writing me off because they heard that steam trains are now a White pride symbol.

Matt Rose wrote a good article about it
railwayage.com/freight/class-i/matt-rose-less-is-not-better/

Basically wall street Jews are forcing the railroads to focus on operating ratio, meaning the railroads are deferring maintenance, abandoning irreplaceable infrastructure, etc. to temporarily drive stock prices up. They're selling their companies futures (which are vital to the country's economy....) so a few wall street Jews can make some shekels

>autism is like down syndrome

Steam Power
=
White Power
?

Attached: 1367838759_7ae9978fdd_o.jpg (896x600, 188K)

problem is I can't say the kids name, cause there would be backlash from the steam railroading community
look, steam railroaders are the politicians of the railroading industry
>willing to screw over volunteers for doing 1% of what they did with corrupted bs
>only allows those in their own social inner circle opportunities even though most of them suck
>sees somebody with special needs doing this as demoralizing to them, resulting in bitterness and jealousy
To these people, nothing is off limits

Attached: ATSF3463StanKistlercollection_copy.jpg (1000x589, 263K)

Real work being done by real men...

Attached: 1368738682_4b7895ccb2_o.jpg (896x600, 148K)

Attached: DRGW1211tennesseepass?HelperUT?triple.jpg (1000x766, 198K)

Honestly I just wanted to post a pic of an engine with Skyline that wasnt an SP.
>Tfw no restored AT&SF Hudson

P L E A S E
S O O N

Attached: Deleware & Hudson #1518.jpg (960x553, 78K)

Attached: GrandTrunk6408MapleLeafChicagoIL11_25_56.jpg (1000x628, 229K)

>Canadian National/GTW
D I S G U S T I N G

Attached: Southern Pacific #3000.jpg (1225x700, 225K)

a staffing agency in massachusetts that alters your resume without your permission, and im not talking font. im saying they fabricate a resume so they can throw bodies at clients. look ... if you get caught with a fake resume that was E-mailed to them and they press charges, how will you successfully counter-sue this massive agency? they just pretend you sent it to them that way. better keep those E-mails, goy!

Attached: 1533032236434-pol.jpg (800x480, 47K)

You know you like this

Attached: GrandTrunk6408ChicagoIL11_25_56.jpg (1000x625, 206K)

The other day I suggested to a guy on /trv/ going to Wichita to check out the Great Plains Transportation Museum. I recall seeing a pic of its big steam loco and thought it was the same as the one you posted. It is not.

In hindsight, this post was kind of pointless, and I'm not quite sure what the reason was for writing it.

Attached: 3768.jpg (1384x640, 65K)

Nah B, of you're gunna post Canadian Steam at least post the Good one. You know, CP

Attached: Canadian Pacific #5920.jpg (810x482, 60K)

Its conversation user!

Attached: CoG #457.jpg (1600x1023, 221K)