Brave New World

In Brave New World, Aldous Huxley portrays a dystopia built around consumerism and the machine-like formation of the controlling World State. His book sends a few messages he holds about human nature when people begin to lose a sense of meaning or purpose. He suggests that people begin to crave more and more short-term gratification and care less and less about a meaningful lifestyle as they rush to fill the void, which results in a few consequences in his World State society:

1.) People will avoid hardship or sadness because it makes it harder for them to enjoy their gratification.

2.) People will therefor be more accepting of a very involved government or governing body, especially one that makes people "feel good" and gives them things or minimizes hardship

3.) People will then follow suit by becoming more susceptible to conditioning and losing free thought.

As a result, people will devolve into believing absolute bullshit to make them feel good, become very consumptive of goods and fall prey to addictions to instantly gratifying behaviors.

After World War 2, many people began to lose their sense of meaning and purpose around the globe. Is this the reason for much of the modern left, and many aspects of human culture today?

Have we lost our meaning and purpose and began to stagnate into feeding our meaningless hungers?

Attached: bravenewworld.jpg (948x1447, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PXS_V5tQCJI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I’m not doing your homework for you, faggot.

Attached: 2D6F5E1F-A62F-4FD7-B1D5-EA8F8126971C.jpg (677x648, 100K)

This looks like a high school reading assignment

You'd have to be incognizant cock vacuums if you think that leftist education standards are going to allow criticism through this book.

I'm actually trying to fucking bring up a discussion about why people in this country are becoming more accepting of a bigger, more involved government.

Lmao are you 12?

youtube.com/watch?v=PXS_V5tQCJI

We are so past Brave New 1984 Westworld Logan’s Run Onions Green Omega Man Fahrenheit 451 A Clock Work Orange Animal Farm it’s not even funny.

you must be 18 to post here

Attached: 1552869607100.jpg (782x440, 35K)

In the Anglosphere Aldous Huxley is about as good as it gets. He tried his best to extend his writing but he still reflects the nihilism and apologetics of a rancid British Empire. Orwell took us all the way to the abyss. Getting shot in the neck in the Spanish Civil War is an experience that would tear away the rank "politeness" of an Englishman.
Eternity is the realm of religion. The two thousand year cycle is longer than most can perceive.
Never encountered a discussion about astrology in here.

Have you read Brave New World: Revisited?

Op, POL may be more interested in Evola, Guenon, Heidegger, etc.

Good post
I’d add that a lot of the West’s consumerism and nihilism is driven and perpetuated by not having children. Having children is important to EVERYONE, but it’s especially important for giving par/subpar IQ people meaning. Because of urbanization, children have become a “burden” rather than a (farming) asset.
People need to recognize that children aren’t just a luxury for the well-to-do, a burden for the have-nots, and not just a farming asset. Having children is FUNDAMENTAL to a normal and healthy human experience. Find a more motivated and proud people than Nazi Germany. And their pride was rooted in their blood and the family.

The methods of control have become more advanced over the years.

But right into the arms of Philip K Dick p(~~)p q(^^)q

I think it's a major part of a healthy human experience, but I don't think it's that big of a factor. It's certainly a factor, but I see the world's shock after WWII and the withdrawal from religion as the biggest influence. People really started to withdraw from their religions after that, and religion was a major sense of purpose or meaning for people, so having that kind of taken away from them really started everyone down the wrong direction.

No, but it's on my reading list. If I remember correctly, Huxley mentioned that he worried his prediction would come true sooner than he thought?

It's not a requirement, but it certainly helps to have more introspective abilities than a toasted tree stump.

That was interesting, thanks. I'm adding Island to my reading list now.

He did. I would definitely recommend reading it soon. I'd also recommend reading Skinner's Beyond Freedom and Dignity. While Huxley laments the erosion of freedom and individualism, Skinner argues that such things only hold us back.

thanks for sharing ur ap lit or lang project

>I don’t think it’s that big of a factor
Reproduction is a biological imperative. Consider that the whole point of life is to reproduce. Mood and behavior affecting hormones are synced with fertility cycles, the sound of a baby, and the desire for sex, the necessary action for reproduction. Now imagine all of that is out the window. People just have sex for fun and abort their babies when it’s inconvinient. Women go all of their youthful life without children and then find themselves at menopause without any legacy. Men are playboys and then wonder why no amount of pussy makes them feel whole.
I think you have things backwards. Religion(spirituality) is important, but it’s important because it facilitates reproduction. Religious people in America have more children than non-religious, and people with children are happier.
The decline in religion coincided with urbanization, but I maintain reproduction is the major driver of human fulfillment.