Is it worth it to learn how to drive manual transmission?

Is it worth it to learn how to drive manual transmission?

Im not a car guy, im 100% concerned with economical, a to b cost effectiveness. And I've heard manuals are cheaper to buy/maintain (outside of the used sports car market, where manuals charge a premium.)

Attached: todays-manuals-efficient-1.jpg (360x240, 38K)

bump

You will learn like in 10 minutes.
It doesn’t hurt to learn this thing.
>t. eurofag

Honestly the fuel economy isn't that much different from an automatic in newer cars, and anyone who says otherwise is just trying to justify their purchase of a manual.

Stick is a meme

Yes and they also use up less gas. Its like a really insignificant difference, but its true about the maintenance and repairs. Parts are also cheaper to buy and easier to find.

Im more concerned with maintenance and repair.

Since they're simplier, they are cheaper to repair and maintain.

it's like a $1k discount on the price of the car

cvt cars have caught up with the fuel efficiency aspect, but chicks dig it and you can drift with a stick

final bump

Its not that much of a difference. Yes replacing the trans fluid is more expensive in an automatic, but the convenience vastly outweighs the marginal cost difference. Modern auto trans are very reliable in decent cars like Honda or Toyota.

auto trans are more fuel efficient today. especially cause they shift early as possible.

Drive manual for fun, dont try and make a logical decision.

if you are in the US finding a manual car typically means by definition you are looking for a sports (or at least sporty) car

an econobox with auto transmission is cheaper all around, because if the tranny grenades you can just buy another econobox

Yes it is

I remember an article where thugs tried to steal a cat but couldn't, because manual

Steal a car, a car motherfucker, not a cat like Swype would have you believe

It depends on what you do most with your car, where you're based, and how much you care about driver engagement.

Provided you don't constantly hoon everywhere or redline and then shift, then economy is basically the same. However, the price of manuals varies a lot depending on where you are. In Europe, people drive manuals a lot so they're a lot cheaper and more commonplace. In America (which is where you live, I'm guessing) they're pretty rare and more expensive than automatics. Manuals will take anywhere from 10 minutes - 1 hour to learn how to control it properly, and then smooth operation comes with experience as you drive more and more.

What you do with your car will play a role in which transmission you go for. If it's literally just a commuter car that gets you from A to B and back to A again in city start-stop traffic and nothing more, then you might as well get an automatic - manuals are kind of a pain in the ass for start-stop traffic, and you wear your clutch out quicker. However, if you might go cruising in the weekends, want to have more fun with your car, or you like having driver engagement with your car and selecting gears whenever you want, then manual is the way to go.

I'm European and I've driven both, but I still massively prefer manual just because I really like the driver engagement with my car. Nothing beats going for a drive late at night, shifting through each gear yourself and feeling your car respond - if you want to floor it or just go fast as hell, you can drop down a gear or two and just redline it.

It really depends on what you'll use it for, but learning manual really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Most people just use their car for commuting and don't really care about having fun with it, so an auto is the easiest option for them - go with what suits you best.

Unless your transmission goes out, which is very common in new cars these days, youre looking at $6000 give or take. You can replace a clutch for less than $200.

Yes it is worth it just for the sake of knowing. I personally prefer to drive a manual.

it's not hard lmao
just hold the clutch pedal down, shift the gear, then slowly come off the clutch pedal. even in crisis mode if you just know the above you can learn in like 30 seconds.

>Unless your transmission goes out, which is very common in new cars these days, youre looking at $6000 give or take.
Yeah, no. It's not 'common'. It can happen, but unless it's a 2017 transmission, it doesn't cost that much. Depending on the year, the average you're looking at is about 2-4k, and that's a high estimate based on prices here in CA.

That's still a lot more expensive than replacing a clutch.

Definitely learn if your goal is to save money on repairs. It's not hard but does take weeks-months of practice before it becomes second nature.

Why did you even reply, what is with with you?

>And I've heard manuals are cheaper to buy/maintain (outside of the used sports car market, where manuals charge a premium.)

That's becoming increasing less true given that auto-manufacturers are no long really mass producing manual transmission vehicles.

Their lack of popularity means the vehicles themselves and the corresponding parts are becoming increasingly rare, which means both the cost and convenience in finding those particular parts goes up.

At some particular point, on the cost vs convenience scale, it becomes more time efficient to work an extra shift and pay someone else to repair your car, than spending twice that amount of time/money fixing it yourself. And at that point the only justifiable reason to repair the car yourself, is if you find it an enjoyable hobby (which some people do).

no you cannot
a new oem clutch kit costs $300 and unless you do it yourself labor will cost more than the part

F stick, just put on D and hand on the clit