The Secrets of Ancient Germanic People = NoFap

"Their whole life is occupied in hunting and in the pursuits of the military art; from childhood they devote themselves to fatigue and hardships. Those who have remained chaste for the longest time, receive the greatest commendation among their people; they think that by this the growth is promoted, by this the physical powers are increased and the sinews are strengthened. And to have had knowledge of a woman before the twentieth year they reckon among the most disgraceful acts; of which matter there is no concealment, because they bathe promiscuously in the rivers and [only] use skins or small cloaks of deerʹs hides, a large portion of the body being in consequence naked"

Source: The Gallic Wars By Julius Caesar; Book 6; Chapter 21

Attached: 93818bf07f87a6c7aef697b37020b6a9.jpg (393x570, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germania#Roman_conquests
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_Wars
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Noreia
romeacrosseurope.com/?p=7605#sthash.KnIZ7ccg.dpbs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The secret to being conquered by gay pederasts is nofap?
Good to know

Germans were never conquered by Rome. Fiki at least learn german history if you are going to pretend to be german.

Romans got raped by the near mans. The celts were the ones that got conquered.

>Germans were never conquered by Rome

Kek, this is false though. They just managed to get free after a brief period of time.

And it was luck, Arminius' knowledge of the romans and the incompetence of Varus that allowed this. The Germanic tribes of roman times were usually absolute retards who charged in a single line all together until they ran out of breath and didn't train a professional army.

I assume this changed centuries later when they were used as foederati by the romans

It doesn't say anything about nofap it says that men were supposed to not engage with women which is the opposite of nofap.

If you actually use 2 braincells and google "Roman Empire greatest extent" you will get this.
Also the irony is that by being roman neighbours the germans went from tribal retards into somewhat unified states that eventually led to the fall of Rome. So Romans never conquered the germans, but the germans managed to conquer Rome.

Attached: 2055.png (1920x1167, 718K)

They held large swath of German territory during Augustus reign. They quickly lost it, but Germania was a useless land anyway and it was not worth pursuing. So Augustus didn't really give a fuck, aside from Varus losing his legions.

>of which matter there is no concealment, because they bathe promiscuously in the rivers and [only] use skins or small cloaks of deerʹs hides, a large portion of the body being in consequence naked"
how exactly do they discover if some man has banged a woman by simply looking at him while he is bathing naked? loose foreskin?

Don't be so defensive, my friend.

The greatest extent does not include territories that were conquered and then lost by the romans. The Romans briefly conquered a good part of Germany.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germania#Roman_conquests

"The Romans under Augustus began to conquer and defeat the peoples of Germania Magna in 12 BC, having the Legati (generals) Germanicus, and Tiberius leading the Legions. By 6 AD, all of Germania up to the River Elbe was temporarily pacified by the Romans as well as being occupied by them, with Publius Quinctilius Varus being appointed as Germania's governor. The Roman plan to complete the conquest and incorporate all of Magna Germania into the Roman Empire was frustrated when three Roman legions under Varus command were annihilated by the German tribesmen in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD"

And yes, several centuries later the german tribes conquered Rome

Those same foederati would conquer Rome

Your leaving out the part where the Romans were decisively defeated and then had to leave Germany

Most of the land Rome conquered was "useless land" so that isn't really an argument. Only the developed lands in the east made money for Rome. Lands like Gaul,Britannia,Balcans,Dacia were only conqured for prestige for the Emperor. Eventually they devoloped some of them(like Gaul and Hispania) but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have developed Germania if they ever conquered it. They couldn't conquer it because they were overstreched, not really because the germans were amazing at war. Eventually the germans got their shit together (after being in contact and trading with Rome for 400 years) and were one of the main reasons for the fall of Rome.

You are a brainlet. Just because they never made long term colonization of Germania, doesn't mean the germans were better. The Roman's fought the germans plenty, and they fucked the savages up frequently. The battle of teutoburg forest was an exception, and resulted from profound lack of strategic awareness by Varus where he kept positioning his forces in swamps and shit where the germans could most fully utilize their ambush strategies.
Dont forget shit like the Suebi and Ariovistus getting shit for daring to stick their chest out.

Rome was barely conquered by the Germans. The goths merely took adavantage of the sick and crumbling empire on its last legs, and they didnt even make it very from there. Dont forget the Visigoths got dumpstered by the muslims.

The Teutonic wars cimbrian wars and the variety of wars fought between Rome and Germanic tribes proves otherwise every time they fought the Romans took heavy casualties.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_Wars
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Noreia

An engagement took place not far from Noreia in the modern Carinthia, in which the betrayed gained the victory over the betrayer and inflicted on him considerable loss; a storm, which separated the combatants, alone prevented the complete annihilation of the Roman army.

>Lands like Gaul,Britannia,Balcans,Dacia were only conqured for prestige for the Emperor.
dacia might have been conquered for the gold mines, since the mines in hispania were getting exhausted. emperor traianus fucked the economy with the conquest, pouring a huge supply of gold onto the market.

I mentioned both of these things actually.

>american education
How was "Rome barely conquered by the germans" when there were german kingdoms all over previosly roman lands.
Also when the romans defeat the germans it means "The romans are clearly superior to these savages". But when Rome loses to germans it means "Ye Rome is still superior it is just in decline and that is the only reason they lost". Nice argument you have there.
Also if the germans were such bad warriors why were they the main component of the roman army in the later period. And why were the romans allying and settling germans in their lands if they were so inferior.

Attached: 2056.png (620x411, 408K)

>every time they fought the Romans took heavy casualties.
>if I cherrypick these battles I can make the Germans look tough

The Romans absolutely fucked up the german tribes most of the times. And it couldn't be otherwise, the gap in tactics and technology was too much. The main advantage of the Germans was their physical size and numbers and it often wasn't enough

> Cimbrian war
> Both tribes annihilated
Pic related.

Attached: 20190405_113242.jpg (1233x1001, 220K)

>trying to make nofap racist
Honk Honk

They were betrayed. Arminius wouldn't have beaten them had he not been drafted by the Romans. Germanics always have one hand behind there back.

Attacking them in the forest. They were already leaving anyway. Cowardly and dirty tactics by savages.

Because to imply that the Germans outright conquered and bested Rome to lead to that outcome is asinine. By the twilight years of the empire they were basically making up their forces with german auxiliaries which only needed to stop fighting for rome for their military might to crumble.
Oh shit, the germans built kingdoms in the ruins of the empire? Guess that means they were militarily superior, not that the Roman's were sluggish, inept, and weak shadows of their former selves. The west was all but left to rot, and the east did not succumb to same fate for centuries, and it wasn't germans that caused their downfall, unless you count the crusaders outright betraying fellow Christians for personal gain.

Well, in war everything is fair. I just think it's sad, Rome lost Germany but I think in a way Germany also "lost" Rome and its culture.

>Also if the germans were such bad warriors why were they the main component of the roman army in the later period.

The Germans had potential to be great warrios but they were primitive in technology and tactics. The Romans of the Late Empire were desperate to get all the help they could get, I don't know if they also schooled the Germans in tactics.

I said they were ONE of the main reasons for the fall of Rome. Noone is saying the germans singlehandedly defeated Rome. But trying to downplay their role as both the end of Rome and as capable warriors is just stupid.
Also the Eastern Roman Empire was also having problems with germans (Goths) so saying that only the west was struggling with them, because it was in decline, is false.

Also
> not understanding why they used foederati
Secured an "alliance" with the tribes, in which they would provide fighting men in exchange for the right to live in the Roman periphery. Thereby attempting to negate any need to fight one another. So romes borders were secured and ROMAN citizens did not need to fill the ranks of the legions as they had in the past. Thereby allowing them to pursue normal lives. The repercussion of this? The forces had loyalty to rome that was secondary to that of their tribe.
Then, add in external pressure, lack of Roman authority over their forces, and general degradation in competence, and the germans only needed to outlast them, really.

I never said they weren't competent warriors, but pretending that the Germans were the driving force behind the fall and they were therefore superior to Roman's, is ludicrous.

It certainly avoided Rome's urban decadence and importation of foreign citizens/slaves. Sounds pretty good to me.
Modern, evidence-based estimates of numbers in these Rome vs Germans battles usually have Rome as being superior or equal in number to their opponents. The days of worshipping the Roman pov due to their being the only sources are over. Even so, we are always told by the romans about how it was a hard fight with many losses, interesting. And of course there's germanicus' foray that DEFINITELY went great, guys. It totally got all the eagles back and btfo the Germans for all time, hence his title. I mean, the Romans fucked off and fortified the border, but whatever. Another interesting tidbit: romeacrosseurope.com/?p=7605#sthash.KnIZ7ccg.dpbs
Both forces destroyed. The suebi still existed in modern swabia and the romans and Cimbri recorded an embassy and trade relationship (which included the Cimbri seeking to put the conflict behind them) years after the cimbrian war.

Attached: M2_2.gif (214x212, 8K)

The late Roman army was highly competent. This is an old myth, probably spread by people wanking to vegetius. They gave as good or better than they got for many years. The declining political situation within the empire meant the end sooner or later, alongside pressure from invaders.

What? Gaul was perfect for farming which is exactly what an empire needs. Do you think it's a coincidence the Roman empire gobbled up all the farm land on the map?

Very similar to modern America quite frankly. Our military might won't matter when the politicians destroy our country from within.

And it had many tons of gold to take. I think he's just expressing confusion over labeling everywhere (except maybe the east) that rome failed as being useless anyway, a sort of sour grapes deflection. They knew, for example, that amber, imported since prehistory and used in Mediterranean jewelery, came from the northern reaches of germania. But apparently we can speak for the romans in calling germania useless.

They were invaded by the Romans but they certainly were never conquered. Good try Luigi. We see that flag.

>It certainly avoided Rome's urban decadence and importation of foreign citizens/slaves.

I am fairly sure the Germanic tribes were left pretty vulnerable to foreign invasionsm which is why some of them wanted to get into the empire, also their quality of life was likely much worse.

>Modern, evidence-based estimates of numbers in these Rome vs Germans battles usually have Rome as being superior or equal in number to their opponents.

As far as I know this is not true, even being mindful of the fact that a 400k strong german army was likely a 100k one(50% women, 25% children, only 25% grown males)the romans often defeated the germanic tribes while being severely outnumbered.

Technically they were for a brief period of time, unless you give a specific meaning to the word "conquer"

>the romans conquered lands where they couldn't grow grapes for wine and olives for oil
but thats not how the romans worked though.

Attached: 1554400943312.jpg (1024x762, 144K)

They also never managed to conquer that last little village in Gaul

I mean the maps speak for themselves. Even the fortified defensive-perimeter line was in modern day Germany. Also, the Roman province, although not fully subdued was half of Western Germany.

Attached: Germanic_limes.jpg (1396x1248, 608K)

the romans were funny like that. if they couldnt grow grapes or olives they didnt give too much of a shit about it unless they could conquer it. then it was just a nice bonus land. And if you had a big dick, wore pants, and drank beer you were seen as a retard. good for only fighting maybe but that was it.

That is a couple hundred or so years after the Roman late republican/ early imperial period that we're discussing. And yeah, everyone got their btfo from eastern invaders. The battle of the vosges is a classic example of what I'm talking about in terms of numbers, going from 70,000 migrating Germans to 20-30,000 vs 30,000 romans.

The point is those numbers are pretty consistently scaled up to make the romans look better.

I am not very informed on this topic so I can't discuss it properly

bump[]

bump

>wants to have a thread about abstinence

>gives it a title and theme that reignite an ancient war between wine-swilling Med dwgenerates and axe-swinging northern reatds

>100% or posts are Italians vs Germans

Way to derail your own thread, bucko

Retards*

romans wrecked the germans after the teutonburg forest incident. won battle after battle, destroyed countless german towns and villages, sparing no one.

Weren't they also very "feminist" with their woman?

romans didn't conquered germany because they never needed it. it was a poor region inhabited by incels wearing small cloaks of deerʹs hides. most of germans who came here before the downfall of our empire were regular immigrants.

>Paying attention to Americans in War matters
Here is a lovely Video of American tactics at work, and they were fighting 16-18 Year olds.

Attached: 1554109528524.webm (610x344, 2.45M)

the marshes presented an insurmountable problem for the romans. the marshland stretched for hundreds of miles, like one big river. The dutch drained them all and live behind massive levees, nowadays.

Those are brits. On a Brit operation which failed miserably.

The Gliders on the Ground Yes but not the C47's in the Sky.

Attached: 1552712162341.webm (960x598, 545K)

it was actually a pretty big oversight not to conquer Germany, especially in the early days when they had the power to

Says Germanic. Shows Romans. We wuz romanz

>I don't know if they also schooled the Germans in tactics
Of course they did, hence Varus getting his ass handed to him in Teutonburg. Once you know Roman tactics you can easily defeat them

Attached: 1550602614438.jpg (752x744, 164K)