How much of a meme patient confidentiality really is? do psychologists laugh at their clients with their friends?

how much of a meme patient confidentiality really is? do psychologists laugh at their clients with their friends?

Attached: melfi.jpg (535x356, 25K)

I highly doubt it. Most of them have been in the business for a minute and have probably heard more weird or fucked up things from clients than whatever you think is so embarrassing.

Even if they do it's years later and they can't mention your name.

Of course they do. Psychologists, teachers, police officers, they all laugh at you. Yesterday I was working at a store and this police officer was buying stuff and she was talking on the phone. She was laughing with her friend about this dude who tried to kill himself with medication, and she'd say stuff like ''if you want to kys actually do it right lol''. They don't care about you, they're just here for the paycheck

I have a feeling my therapist is bullshitting me. She tells me to live for right now and enjoy the moment but that shit doesn’t work and we argue and talk about the same shit over and over. I trust her at the moment but I really don’t know if I trust in the practice as a whole. Knowing that if she wasn’t getting paid she wouldn’t give a shit about me is all the proof I need to know I’m right.

patient confidentiality is actually kinda weird. I have two psychologist friends, and know a number more through my brother (who got his PhD in the field). They talk shit about their patients ALL the time... BUT they're not breaking patient confidentiality because they never name the person.
>"I had this one guy 2 years ago who only came by for about a month. He claimed to be a contract killer, and thought he was beginning to suffer PTSD. He definitely had signs of PTSD, but he just stopped coming after 5-6 sessions".

^That kind of stuff doesn't violate patient confidentiality because the person isn't ever indicated. I've never known any of these people to ever slip up and name a patient so in that sense it's not a meme. They definitely share stories though.

Dude, they are people. Doing their job and given the knowledge needed makes them less judgemental but that doesn't prevent anyone from laughing about funny stuff.

Patient confidentially only means not mentioning you by name or ratting on you, unless it's shit like raping kids.

>I'm a teacher at elementary
>there was this one boy
>short, weak, doesn't talk much
>gets picked on often by popular kids at his class
>he doesn't do anything about it
>it evolves into full on bullying
>he often snitches on Them
>"ms. Anonette Mike punched me in the face!"
>I can't be bothered so I just kinda yell at Mike and tell that boy that he's great and he should always report to me whenever he gets bullied. I say it becasue I have to. I give him a hug
>They still bully him
>one year later he killed himself with father's gun
top kek

Attached: kek.png (327x316, 188K)

>Knowing that if she wasn’t getting paid she wouldn’t give a shit about me is all the proof I need to know I’m right.
What is the issue here? She provides services in exchange for currency. You need someone to talk to and she's happy to do it.
If I hurt my arm I'm not going to be an ass about the doctor getting paid to fix it.

the issue is that he gets attached and feels bad the person who seem to care about him in fact doesn't

I can understand sharing experiences and knowledge through colleagues to get more than your own outlook for your profession and learn more about specific cases. Just bringing it up to anyone and laughing about someone else is wrong.

as a psychologist it's twofold:
- you can, in fact, talk about patients, but you can't disclose ANY information that might make the patient identifiable. it's not just names - anything specific at all is a no-no. when a case is particularly unique, that means you won't be talking about it at all.
- on the other hand, because of the years of study/training/practice, you end up not finding shit funny. you kind of learn how to respect other people's suffering and stuff. no one but the absolute worst professionals would talk shit about patients and laugh it up. empathy is a huge part of being a good psychologist and if you have empathy you wont do that.

It’s knowing that it could be bullshit in the basis that she’s getting paid for what she’s doing and if that incentive goes away she wouldn’t give a shit so it’s really a business at the end of the day until proven otherwise. Don’t get me wrong, therapy has helped me a lot but it’s a lot of trust and it’s not perfect and the biggest of all, it takes TIME. I don’t want to waste my time on bullshit.

>false flagging this hard
pathetic.

I work in a different field from psychology but with us I'd say it's pretty confidential
The names are just that, names... at the end of the day you went through like 30+ people, you're lucky to remember one name
If you have a funny/awkward name or an extremely bizarre patient history (desu the most important catalyst for hillarity is his complete lack of self-awareness) we have a chuckle about it together with colleagues and move on, later only recall the history if anything at all
If you come into the hospital with a 10 inch dildo lodged deep in your ass, we'll also remember that, though we don't really spread it outside the facility, that's not just illegal but plain dickish

Most therapists are honestly fucking idiots.

I'm not a therapist, but I can tell you that once you see like 20 patients every day you're scarcely able to remember their faces, let alone any details about them.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Regardless such people are full of shit.

My girlfriend is a therapist.
She talks about patients but she doesn't get specific with it. And it's usually when she's trying to vent her frustration when one of they're acting like cunts.

Dude if you aren't sarcastic about it at some point death isn't that fun to deal with. It becomes a normal thing in life. And people that used to come to this site of all places should know that even the most fucked up things can sometimes be really funny

>confidentiality
No such thing.

This is accurate

t. works in healthcare

Well I get health care. Lots of it and doctors know all kinds of irrelevant shit about me. They all have my cell when I specifically told one of them and told them not go spread it. I can provide a service that some find useful. One took pictures for "health related" shit and plastered my face all over the network and of course, I made it to the internet. Have a doctor friend in another town and between her and the school principal and cop friend. Everyone knows everything they want to know about everybody. Its just people when it comes down to it. Kinda funny to realize that probably everybody knows more about you than you think they do. I think it is hard to draw the line when they think they are on friendly with you.

My mum is a doctor and everyday she tells me about the weird, wacky, dumb, smart, and interesting patients she sees. Like the lady who game in with a serious thyroid issue refusing to treat it with proper medication instead wanting to try herbal remedies (she is probably going to be dead or seriously fucked up soon).

She never actually tells me the names of the patients and if any of her patients are people I would possibly know she doesn't tell me about them but I think plenty of doctors and therapists discuss their patients with family.

I always think this is so unprofessional. In any field I'm in when people immediately turn around and talk shit or in general talk about the people they serve it's both so shady and just so gossipy. I hate it.

psychiatric nurse here.

Yes they (we) do, it's never really struck me as cruel though. There's a lot of genuine concern, oftentimes present with the humor, but some shit really is worth laughing about.

Patient confidentiality is taken extremely seriously because, if found out, it could be both embarrassing for the patient and represent a huge legal liability for the psychologist. Nobody wants to lose their job gossiping over secrets told to them in confidence.

I'm a teacher not a psychiatrist or whatever. We talk about the kids we work with. I'm sure the psychologists talk about the people they work with too. But it has to be anonymized, no names or other particularly identifying details. Ideally even a few key features in the story should be changed, although most people won't go that far unless they're posting it online.

>do psychologists laugh at their clients with their friends?
I'm sure they do for particularly interesting stories. But they're not going to laugh at you for having depression or anxiety or whatever. They're humans, and they're going to become invested in you and your problems the same way I'm invested in my own students. But that doesn't make funny events less funny. Even the students I talk shit about, and I do sometimes, to vent, I care about. There's not a single student I have that I actually dislike.