Please help me quit weed

I’m tired of it. I do find it works something in me creatively but it also makes me lazy and forgetful and it’s such a waste of time and money. I’ve tried and tried and I feel I have a deep-rooted addiction. I use it to cope with emotional problems I have but it’s just such a distraction sometimes. It has introduced me to different parts of myself but I can’t seem to kick it, it’s so hard. Why don’t people care? Why must we turn to drugs when we have literally no one to turn to?

Attached: 242C8531-B08F-4A87-A1E4-5889547FD2F2.jpg (1084x1064, 235K)

Thanks for the help

You gotta make a choice. Cut some ties. Can't be around weed. Build up self control and discipline over time.

come to alcohol, we taste better

Attached: 1558957888323.png (465x464, 460K)

How do I build self control against it. I tell myself every day, “I will not go home on my lunch break and smoke weed” yet I still do...it’s like I can’t control it,

you can control it you just choose not to. literally not hard user. learn some commitment and discipline.

I’m trying user, I feel like it’s really hindering me and is dangerous, but sometimes I get so anxious I feel like I don’t have any other choice

>alcohol, we taste better
hahahahahahahahahahah
just smoke all your stash OP and refuse to buy more, only smoke socially

I’ll some it all and try hard not to buy more...

Just dont buy, and when the urge to smokes comes, do something else, eventually you will get used to it.
I used to be like you, now barely smoke maybe once a week at max.
Also try to say no when someone offers, this is the hardest part

No one really offers. I am often just smoking alone to get rid of the pain and try to gain inspiration but it just zones me out and numbs me and the person I like is stone-cold sober and I want to be like them...I want to be a good person, I want to be a productive person. I want to fulfill my destiny. Weed is evil.

I have no idea why people struggle with quiting weed. I have about 3grams of high quality stuff in my desk for like a month now and didn't smoked any of it (used to be 10grams) because i got my tonsils removed and didn't really feel like coming back to it. It has close to 0 physical addiction inducing potential and it's all psychological. Just find something to do instead of staring at screen stoned or find yourself a hobby. There are so many better ways to spend money and your time. I'm not gona be that douchebag and i will admit that i smoked shit ton of it in past few years but after i got break with it i started thinking about smoking only once a month or something like this because that used to be my schedule and honestly i think it's 10x better than smoking daily. For me the best way to deal with cannabis is to treat it like psychedelics, by this i mean not to often and only on special ocassions. The best part is that if you were a heavy daily smoker, you will see a lot of positive changes, for example your example more clear perception and better reaction time (i'm not even talking about clear thinking and better memory cause shit like this is obvious) or just general sense of world around you. I'm just afraid of the summer time and vacation/holiday because then i have a lot of spare time and preety much 90% of people surrounding me and my friends are daily smokers... But yeah good luck m8

i weened myself off of it by making it a pain in the ass for myself. like buying only single grams at a time, and so on. also give yourself distractions so you don't feel like getting high being it making something, video games, or whatever. and as with all pieces of advice, start exercising.

>guys i'm shaking this beehive and the bees are starting to attack me. bees are evil

When do you find the best time for you to smoke is?
So do you mean you really use it for a spiritualist/creative thing, a mind expanding thing? I think most people find it hard just because it really does treat the physical symptoms of anxiety but makes you pretty zoned out sometimes. I feel like it really is mind expanding for artists but it is unhealthy and I feel so very addicted to it.
I have to drive 2 hours to get weed where I live, I tell myself I won’t do it then I do it every time.
So you think weed should be approached as something potentially dangerous?

Just stop doing it; that's literally all you have to do. We're not talking about a powerful addiction like smack or meth, it's fuggen weed.
T. Guy who smoked weed all the time then just stopped doing it.

Sometimes I feel like it’s all I have for support and an escape.

so drive two hours and just buy a gram

Weed, like any recreational drug really, should enrich your life, not control it. Once you start using it as a crutch then it is indeed time to stop.
Looking back at all the time and resources I spent either smoking or acquiring weed, most of it was a waste. Yeah some of it was really fun and I shared some great moments with some people, but those were the minority and a lot of it was mostly just sort of habit. It's resulted in a lot of the times just being kind of a blur; even worse, it took the fun out of getting high.
I took a break for a few months, then came back and tried it again. While I got a shitload higher than I used to, it also showed me that I hadn't even really missed it that much. I kind of like that I'm more alert and responsive the majority of the time now. Would you consider quitting for a while, then if you do go back to it, only smoking one day/night a week?

>I kind of like that I'm more alert and responsive the majority of the time now.
this right here is what helped me stay off of it after years living in a blur, as you said. it's like a night and day difference when you've been doing it for so long. i find myself WAY more observant and dialed into things.

Daily pot smoker for three years. Got to a point where I was smoking an 8th (3.5 grams) a day, usually in 3 one gram blunts and then the .5 for bong. Haven't smoked ( or been high on anything) in four years. I'll run through your post and then give you some advice.

>I do find it works something in me creatively
I found this to not be true upon further examination. Your perception changes, but reality doesn't, and the reality is you aren't more creative when you're high, you just think you are. Record yourself and your friends while high and then listen to it if you don't believe me

>but it also makes me lazy and forgetful
Yes

>and it’s such a waste of time and money
Yes

>It has introduced me to different parts of myself
Well this isn't true. Again, perception. As someone who has been sober for 4 years after smoking an ounce a week, I promise you that I have discovered more about myself sober than high.

> I use it to cope with emotional problems
like what?

>Why don’t people care?
Elaborate

When I quit, I moved back into my dads and cut ties with all my stoner friends. I don't miss any of them. Everyone will react differently to quitting. I was smoking to the extreme so It took me a very long time to feel like 'myself' again. I had a very very very short fuse for about a month. It was hell. But I got over it, and you will get there. The best advice I can give to quitting is don't overreact. Life is still good, and you are still a good person. You may miss it (I don't) but remember when we had fun doing anything when we were younger? And we never had pot back then. Again, it's been four years and I don't miss it at all, and have no intentions of ever smoking again. I get drunk maybe twice a year on the town with friends, but never really been much of a drinker.

Godspeed

Will do user thank you very much

That’s how I feel. Like I just fade out for a while. I want life to stop being so painful.

I don’t really have friends at all my fellow user, I’ve pushed everyone away as a sort of coping strategy because no one seems to understand my life.
My emotions have been kind of damaged by being raised by such negative family with such negative views and words and ways fueled by alcohol. My parents would always think of and say the most soul-crushing manipulative things to me that instilled anxiety into my every day habits. My sister would beat me physically in the face and disrespect me and bully me and ignore me st school so I was alone a lot. They sort of fucked me up. What’s worse is my dads mother was murdered by his brother, her son, while he was high on meth. He got excused on it based on insanity because I guess he just fried his brains with a bunch of meth and killed his own mom and destroyed my family and my dads sanity.

I do not drink, I am vegan. I am able to restrain myself in those aspects but I feel like I live with so many worries and so much hurt. I’ve been to therapy. I’ve taken all kinds of prescriptions for post traumatic stress disorder and that stuff will just fill your mind with negativity.

I'll give you some more

>Family issues

Are you on solid or good terms with anyone in your family? Is anyone in your family sober? Have you made amends with anyone in your family? If the answer to all of these are no, than I honestly believe you should cut ties with your family. At that point, they are only a 'family' in name only, and the name means nothing if there is no meaning or feeling behind it. A family can be anything. Hell I consider my real 'mom' one of my former Highschool teachers. I have friends I consider brothers. etc

> I’ve taken all kinds of prescriptions for post traumatic stress disorder and that stuff will just fill your mind with negativity

You're right. I don't recommend prescription drugs to anyone, they don't actually solve the root of the problem and are more of a band-aid, and a pretty bad band-aid at that. My sister had a prescription drug addiction, both of them actually. They are better now, but it messed with them. Pot is bad, but prescription drugs are arguably worse.

I'll ask a couple more questions though before I give my final advice

Do you work?
Do you go to school?
How old are you?
What is your current living situation?
Roughly how much $ is in ur bank?

Get rid of your stoner friends. Easier said than done but it’s possible. I’m working on it myself right now. Fund a new social circle and stick to them and occasionally see your stoner friends.

So what you're saying is that you're using it to mask your emotional issues because you don't have a support system. That's great that you see that so clearly. So it sounds like you would benefit from talking to a therapist.

I have two little brothers who I see small glimpses of depression in. I love my brothers. They are very important to me. I know my youngest brother smokes but hides it from everyone. My 22 year old brother has low self esteem and yesterday I watched him have a panic attack because it is truly heartbreaking and frustrating to be around my father, you have no idea. I want to stop so I need can be good to my brothers and have my head on straight and know what’s going on. My dad suffered all kinds of abuse and took it out on all of us with his words. My mom just lacks some deep insight. She has the mentality of a child and it’s so frustrating. My sister is a complete narcissist and a bimbo so it just doesn’t matter. I’ve tried to be her friend over and over and she only cares about herself. I’ve had friends but I feel more comfortable being alone as not to be judged harshly for my family,

I was living in California to escape it all because it got too much. But alas, I saw the depression on my brothers faces without me there to shield them, I moved away for a year, I just had to see something different. My parents are so sick and strange. They think they are normal and they act normal but they have pushed everyone away because they are just so crazy so I just don’t find myself holding on to relationships either, they are painful for me. When I moved to California it opened my mind but I had to move back to my home state because I was just too poor there and could not survive and I felt I really should be helping my brothers. I wish I went to school. I always found the pressure triggered me to just give up. I feel my parents may have just never liked me. I ended up resorting to weed out there in California as well even though I had a nice therapist.

But yes I work part time for an old Christian man and his wife and it’s a wholesome place. I am 26. I live in a trailer on the side of my parents house. I have $30 in the bank.

Yes you are right. I use it as a sort of support to divert my thoughts. I try to use artistic creation as a means to escape but I can never gain the courage these days to go for it, I just smoke weed instead because I’m afraid anything I try to make will suck. Maybe I do need a therapist. My only qualms with therapy is it just makes me feel like a crazy person to talk to one.

Scientifically speaking, the best way to quit any addition is to replace it with a new addiction/habit.

Any time you have a craving you need to do something else instead, something specific and the same every time, something that will prevent you from doing weed at the same time.

Also don't just go "oh yeah next time I have a craving I'm going for a bike ride" have a real plan and set everything up in advance to make doing the new habit as easy as possible, and the old one inconvenant.

You’re right I guess I should think of something that could just take my mind away....I often become distracted with ideas on things to draw..my parents planted a deep rooted voice that tells me not to try. Fuck those people.

>my parents planted a deep rooted voice that tells me not to try.
The majority of people have that attitude. I only know one person in my life who has the same ambitious outlook I do, and we always instantaneously bond over it when we talk.

If you can, try and identify someone in your life who has that driven, ambitious attitude and let it rub off on you. Usually if you just say I wanna do X to them they'll say fuck yeah and want to help. It's no necessary but having someone with that mind set around does help.

No, talking to a therapist does not mean you're crazy at all. It means that it may be helpful to get another perspective from someone who is trained, non judgemental and an advocate. Changed my life.

I do have a friend but he lives in LA. He is very ambitious and positive and really believes it’s important to just live our lives in ways that make us happy as long as it doesn’t hurt others or the planet. He is also a successful artist. His parents were also artists who loved him. I need to find whatever it is that he has that my parents did not give me.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I would recommend moving away from your parents, going to some community college somewhere and work towards a bachelors in either a mathematics, science, or medical field. It really is a waste of time to get a degree in anything other than STEM, and to prevent yourself from working crappy entry level jobs your entire life, you have to do it. Even if you don't 'love' mathematic or scientific fields of study, get a degree in one. No one 'loves' them. And even the things you love become tedious after a while, ask anyone who is doing their 'dream job' how they feel after a couple years of doing it over and over and over again every day. Just like pot which you 'loved' at first you now hate, it's the same principle. Find a part time job in addition to a full time college course-load, and stop smoking weed. You need to be kept busy at all times, in a social environment. We are social creatures, and being out in 'society' is important, regardless of how much you think it might 'suck'. Isolation t is not how we were created to be, we aren't isolated creatures, even monastics in monastery's are social with one another, and their job is to cut themselves off from the world; you don't want to be a monastic unless called to it, but that is what you are doing.

As for your brothers, it sounds like you think you are abandoning them by leaving, but you can't let them hold you back either. You can love them from afar. But if you want to quit weed, you have to change your entire life dramatically. Smoking weed is a symptom of the other problems you have.

Get a full time job, save a couple thousand, and get out of there. You probably want to stay in the same state so you can pay in state tuition which will be cheaper, and chances are you will get some in state grants fro being older and poor.

Godspeed

This guy gets it.
>I want life to stop being so painful.
To be alive is to struggle and experience pain. Weed won't put a stop to that. Hell you're currently smoking regularly anyway and it's clearly not helping you there. People whose pain is managed effectively, in whatever way it's being done, generally don't whine about it. Whatever's going on with you, weed clearly isn't the answer and you've clearly gone from recreational to habitual.

you gotta throw out or smoke the rest of your stash and then proceed to break every means of smoking the shit in your house

>t. quit weed successfully after wanting to for months

This user didn’t have some fucked up shit he needs to smoke weed abojt

Kill yourself.

>addicted to pot
Now I've heard it all. (Pro tip user: pot is literally not chemically addictive. The only "addiction" that involves pot is lazy ass holes who use it as a scape goat for why they're being lazy ass holes).

>be me
>smoke weed for years
>become lazy
>stay up all night until like 4am
>do nothing but video games and Jow Forums
>life is a wreck
>quit weed literally overnight
>no detox
>years pass
>still lazy
>still do nothing except for Jow Forums and video games until 4AM

oh yeah whoops turns out it was my lifestyle that was the problem, not weed.

I'm smoking again and got my life back together. Don't blame your laziness and emotional problems on a plant that makes you hungry and relaxes you.

>it's 10x better than smoking daily
Amen to this.

>walk up to stoner friends
>tell them you hate rap, you hate reggae and you want to become educated
>they disown you
>legwork done

Find a Marijuana Anonymous meeting in your area. They work like any other 12 step and at least you can be around other people going through the same situation.

Hi OP,

Also had the same problem. Ausfag that smoked between a quarter and half ounce a week which is over $100 a week habit here. Wanted to cut it out cause lack of motivation outside of work and not saving as much money potentially as I could.

Booked a holiday to SE Asia with gf for 3 weeks, basically sweated it out within the first week and not having stress helps a lot to not fall back into smoking. Also the fact if you get caught with any narcotic here you face a firing squad or at least cop heavy jail time. Feeling a lot more active and motivated to do as much as I can through the day and plan on keeping an excersice routine and pick up more hobbies to keep my mind occupied once I’m home. Hope that helps

Weed can undermine your ability to enthusiastically engage in things whilst sober.

Enthusiasm can be the difference between a great project and a failed one.

I quit cold turkey, I've felt pretty good since. I only had like 48 hours of cravings and it was gone.

Used to blame the weed on my bad days, then quit for a month and still had bad days. Made actual changes to my life and habits (like committing to working on my art for at least two hours a day) and started having less bad days. And started smoking pot again.

I don't doubt that weed can affect your motivation depending on who you are, but just quitting without setting other goals is pointless.

Excerise with music helps with the dopamine md gets u in a routine. I used to just go for runs nd it just like the first couple days tht have the cravings after tht ull b algud other than get bk into stuff if u can weed makes everything better even doing nothing, ur attention span might b shit but these r all worst of the worst symptoms other than tht exercise to sweat it out nd fill tht attention span nd ull have no cravings by the end of the week u get addicted to the buzz not weed

Sorry for late response. No, by using it like psychedelics i didn't mean exactly for expanding consciousnes and spiritual use but just not abusing it (daily smoking) and having it on special occasions.