Will SSRI or SNRI help me with generalized anxiety disorder? I cant focus on anything, I have no apetite...

Will SSRI or SNRI help me with generalized anxiety disorder? I cant focus on anything, I have no apetite, I consider going to psychiatrist

Attached: lexapro.jpg (500x500, 40K)

help me anons...

Just visit psychiatrist but they do elevate symptoms if thats what you want. The only con is decreased sex drive

Are you well read on the subject of which biological proceses they impact?
I'm a medical student and deal with these kinds of medications a lot at work, needed to read a lot about them but only a few clients use them. Maybe i can be of help. but i don't want to give information you already know

Anti-depresants are big gamble. You never what you will get.

What would you recommend for general anxiety disorder, which doesnt cause many side effects?

Don't give medical advice as a med student, you can be held liable for it, fyi, especially when it's about prescription drugs and you not having a license.

Don't take pills that haven't been given to you by a doctor. Go to a psychologist, let yourself be examined, once there's a rough profile of your trauma, then they can transfer you to a psychotherapist who can also prescribe drugs. Popping pills alone is never a solution, and very dangerous if an issue is treated with the wrong medication.

Growing a pair of balls.

I was on an ssri briefly and it did much more harm than good. I didn't really have anxiety though, I was too delusional. No more delusional than your average person at that age (21 I think), but the combination of life circumstances and what I was deluded about made it miserable.

I think the doc actually new they wouldn't help, and just prescribed them because he knew the negative side effects would make me actually confront my issues.

So they're not for me, and seeking out someone wise to talk to (probably a psychiatrist or therapist) should be your first line of defense. Make a list of what you want to bring up, start crying, muddle through it.

However, I'm also very convinced that people have extremely different sets of brain chemicals, and there are people out there for whom medication is a good option.

So there's my generic advice. If I manage to stay awake I'll play therapist though. I wonder:

1) How consistent are the topics you worry about? Is it about practical things (health, wondering if you left the oven on) or more social?

2) Do you have theories about why you're anxious? If not, what have you tried to figure it out?

3) Are there compounding issues - alcohol, anger issues, feeling judgemental all the time, etc.?

>growing a pair of balls
so funny, if it was so easy I wouldnt want to go to psychiatrist

I'm not even joking. You think you are the only one with problems that you feel powerless to solve? Billions of people had and have it more difficult than you, the fact alone that you have access to the internet proves it. Life isn't easy and you will always feel anxious about things, all the fucking time, like Alice and Bob in your classes or Bill from accounting. So instead of trying to magically solve your issues by throwing medication at it like a dumb child, grow a pair

I used both of them. They have plenty of side effects. Only use them if you actually have anxiety. Not focusing or eating enough is not anxiety or depression.

If you have a serotonin issue yes, you might have a GABA issue. Sometimes seizure treatments can help with anxiety like CBD or a ketogenic diet which also promotes GABA production.

1) more social
2) I think it's due to genetics
3) I do stupid things after consuming alcohol

Also exercise, specifically testosterone promoting exercises like heavy squats. Testosterone helps most people with anxiety, in fact being extremely deficient can cause anxiety.

apparently just exercising and being in nature can dramatically improve mental health. When I get anxious walking around helps.

Why genetics
>3) I do stupid things after consuming alcohol
Like the rest of the world.

my parents are also oversensitive and I think I have it from them
I do really embarrassing things after alcohol and I think about it long time after happening
I cant excerise when im really anxious

To be clear, I'm:
I don't necessarily disagree with the other anons boot-to-the-ass approach, but I think some people are only receptive to that after they get to a certain point.

>my parents are also oversensitive and I think I have it from them
You probably do, but it's probably not genetic, just learned.

In fact, it's a pretty common cycle I've observed. People learn to be very cautious from their parents, because that behavior has served them well. That doesn't work when you're young, though, you don't fit in and you don't make your way in the world. So the kids have to overcome some ingrained behaviors from their over-protective parents. Then they accumulate wealth and get a spouse and have a lot to lose, and they too become cautious.

>I do really embarrassing things after alcohol and I think about it long time after happening
That's a particularly rough one. Alcohol helps with the anxiety, but it brings out the crazy, and then the hangover makes you have zero sympathy for yourself.

It might help you to google catastrophizing. I did some pretty bad things while drunk, but looking back I really was being irrational in my worry about them. "But I did something worse, really beyond the pale!" no you didn't, I did worse, almost guarantee it. And that's the one thing I can't claim I grew out of. I just live with it happening once a year. At least it's less frequent.

>more social
Give me an overview of your recent social history. Normal in middle school, nerd in high school, no gf, etc.

I would recommend you seek council first. What i've seen in patient groups people make the most progres when the talk about their problems and realise where they are. You need to actualise your thoughts to person you trust and try to filter the usefull worries from the ones that are not.
Most people don't have a person like that so they go to a psychiatrist, which might help really well. Just make sure you are 100% honest with your psychologist. If you have weird thoughts, express them, no use in telling a professional half of the story.

If you do decide to go with medication, just know that your situation will get worse before it gets better. Your hormones are going to get thrown out of whack. Most people get a slight loss of appitite when starting SSRI and then a slight increase in apitite and weight in the following month or 2. Usually gaining only a few pounds in the proces.

As someone else mentioned, i shouldn't give medical advice without a disclaimer. In my country the most common drug to treat your condition is called Buspar. My recommendation is that you google that and study the side effects and take note of the ones you might be prone to before you concider medication

so shoudl I visit psychologist at first?

Bump

That's just as much a reason to feel worse as it's a reason to feel better. Suffering is relative. I can tell you from experience there are kids living on the streets in Africa that Experience better lives then millionaires elswhere. Actual quality of life has very little baring of a persons perception of it.

That would be a last resort. As someone who has been where you're at, exhaust all other options first. Diet, exercise, and rest go a long way. Additionally, I bet if you look around you notice your friends who can drink beer and smoke some pot and keep functioning perfectly fine, but that may not be for you. (No, not bashing cannabis - it's just not for everyone). With that being said, sobriety makes it a lot easier to keep things balanced. If a few months of those efforts are insufficient, speak with a psychologist first. Psychiatrists are essentially pharmacists, as they usually sit back and rely on drugs to do all the work. Things won't always be so bleak though, so all the best.

No. Those are for mood and personality disorders.
GAD is treated in other ways. Sometimes through life style change, sometimes with CBT, sometimes with benzos.

The source of the anxiety is usually the target, though. No drugs will help you if you have finance problems or high work stress.

And regardless, you should try to improve yourself and make yourself happier.

I think there are two interesting things in that post, though:
1) Everyone (with the arguable exceptions of the Buddhas and psychopaths) has to deal with these things. I have a bit of a superiority complex, and since I'm so great I built up my problems into some Dr. House, Rick Sanchez, Camus' Meursault level shit.

This sounds silly, but I was completely unaware that I was doing it (I've already mentioned I was delusional). The psychiatrist I went to saw this immediately, and had the perfect response: "so... why don't you make friends with Mensa members?"

That was embarrassing once I thought about it, which is a good segue to:

2) Sometimes the asshole "don't be a bitch" advice can be pretty good. Who do YOU want to be? Do you want to have these problems? What are you really getting out of your thought patterns.

In particular, one of these comments ended up getting me to register to go back to college the next day. I'm not saying they're right, or that you have to like these people - just take motivation where you can get it.

Anywho, sorry, I thought someone else would answer this one:
That would be my advice. If your country/insurance requires it, go to you primary doc and get a referral. They sent me to a psychiatrist, who gave me the prescription and a list of therapists he thought would jive well with my personality.

Keep in mind what you're actually doing here. You're a human who needs advice, seeking another human who has learned the tricks that help people, and who has heard just about every problem that exists (and knows what worked that time). Like any job, there are bad therapists. But they're usually pretty good.

Also be aware that many of the people who feel like they're just wired wrong or society is too bad for them to live in or whatever end up fixing their problems. Good luck user!

and weight gain, and feeling numb, etc etc.

please quit med school. ssris don't have anything to do with hormones, you're a moron.

no.