Anons who make more than 200K per year, how did you get to where you are? What would you have done differently?

Anons who make more than 200K per year, how did you get to where you are? What would you have done differently?

Attached: money.jpg (852x480, 31K)

I got $180k worth of student loans and live in a place where you can't afford a home on $200k and if I could go back I'd be a plumber

What do you do?
I have a feeling that you're in tech in one of the big tech hubs of the US.

>180k in loans
dudes gotta be in medicine. ny or san fran probably?

Got two degrees, and have kept my skills up to date. If you make yourself valuable to an employer then you just need to keep looking for opportunities.

I dropped out of high school and went to the factory to have a lot of fun. Invest, save spend. I live near SF. I'm in the 200k territory if you add it all up. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Its not 200k usd but similar in my country.

I did it by being a good son to my single mother, somehow got into this weird relationship(not sexual) where i clean up the house and emotionally help her out and motivate her to work more/efficient. I make sure she goes out to vocations, spends time with friends and doesnt burn herself out.

In 18 years she went from debt to actually accumulating 4 million+ in assets. She already bought me a house and trusted me with the family bank safe. I also didnt betray that trust by spending profusely.

So in net value she is bringing in like 300k+ where i will inherit half. Be nice to your parents..

I'm in the 200s. It's a combination of a high-paying tech job and cashflow from quite a few investments.

inherited a bunch of real estate from my uncle
I literally just collect rent

Similar story to yours, user

My mom was always in debt so I kept pushing her to sell her ass on the street.

She went from local hooker to pushing meth. Sometimes she'd sell both and get fucked all night in gangbangs. She wouldn't be able to walk for a couple of days but the sale was legit.

Eventually she started bringing in $300-$400 a night. Now she's in jail but I'm still counting what she owes me because I'm getting paid. Bitches don't go on vacation so she better be eating prison pussy for cash.

Jesus fucking no not a similar story. Mine was a widowed doctor who opened a practice cause she had to, not sold her literal ass off.

One heals bodies, the other services them. Obviously similar, user.

Worked hard, like 50-100 hour weeks continuously, for the past 8 years. I read a lot on leadership, organisation and the production process, mostly I realise now to learn how to balance leading with your own initiative vs. doing as asked. I'm very organised and like working with people. I'm conscientious and like making things run smoothly and setting things up so other people can do their best work. The main thing that kept me getting promoted was going out of my way to solve problems for people that no one else could or was willing to solve.

I'm happy with things, but I have zero life outside work and never learned how to date women. If I was to do things differently I'd have stayed in the countryside where I grew up, worked on a farm and married one of the cute country tomboys I used to know.

I love how 4chin brings people with similar stories together.

I have everything I want, but I don't have everyone to share it with. My relationship with my family is strained and uncofmortable.

You guys are making me cry.
You make me laugh. Thanks user.

I have a question to you corporate types.

How do you get people to notice you in meetings for recommendations? I go into meetings with notes and stats with proof and I get no one to notice me. I will bring up issues and possible solutions and people in management act like I'm some sort of retard until someone from management says exactly the same thing I just stated. What do you 200K people do the get noticed or get a point across in meetings?

Degrees in what?

>What do you 200K people do the get noticed or get a point across in meetings

Lawyers exist because ordinary people aren't capable of defending themselves capably in modern legal conflicts.

Managers exist because ordinary people aren't capable of defending themselves capably in modern corporate political conflicts.

If you're playing the 200k game, your goal isn't to get noticed, it's to get your boss noticed. Find a manager you trust, pledge your allegiance to them, feed them all the lines they need to look like a god, and any manager worth a shit will pull you up with them.

I'm at 100k, not 200k. But I suppose i can give some advice.

Biggest thing is to pick up a skill where you can easily start a small business or be self employed.

I'm a contractor. I leaned basic skills in drywall, flooring, etc. Now boomers pay me to remodel basements and shit. Easy to hit 100k if u work hard. All I needed was a website, a google business profile, and some business cards. I basically just stared putting flyers in peoples mailboxes, got some word of mouth going, etc...

next thing you know people are calling u for work.

Tons of jobs like this. Shocklingly i have a friend who washes the windows of storefronts and will make about 90k this year.

Welp sounds like I'm fucked. Nepotism runs hard in the company and I am in a SDWT with the most experienced guy being me with 8 years of work experience but anytime I say anything it gets audited by a dumbfuck who knows nothing about his job and got hired because he is the friend of the family. Probably means I need to move along.

Dumb question user but what is is a contractor? I've searched on gooble and I still don't quite get it

Been with my company over 25 years. I work hard as fuck, always have, and I make thoughtful, well informed decisions. I'm IT in a law firm, started as a tier 1 tech and created myself a litigation support position (back when all they thought they needed was an elmo). I leveraged that into asset management, which was actually awesome because I never had to see anyone, then they promoted me and gave me a bunch of employees across 26 offices.

doing the basic wouldn't have gotten me there. Doing the basic now won't get me the 5 figure bonus in December, either.

There's a moment where you just gotta realize that you may just suck dicks at pitching.

You also have to realize that them acknowledging that you're good is bad for their asses. You either need one or two dude who can hype you up as someone competent, or you hype yourself up through an MBA or another, more respectable position in another company.

Contractors are just consultants. He's basically doing temp work for other companies or people, except he, himself, takes care of all the administrative bullshit. Which is a great idea, as the typical temp work company will take one hell of a cut doing just that.

So yeah, you're just an entrepreneur.

No need to be fucking Warren Buffet to realize that entrepreneurs can make way more than classic wagecucks.

I call bullshit on that one.

If you're playing the 200k game, rules stays the same : do good fucking work. It is THE bruteforce way for people to recognize you. Do good work, and know how to quantitatively describe it with as many numbers as you can, and keep your superior in the loop of whatever good shit you're doing, and above all, make sure he's putting a good word for ya. There's no allegiance, no politics of any kind here. It's still an employer//employee relationship.

Mexican detected. Don't you have to figure tax, insurance, business license, healthcare. I fear I'll end up in prison of I just go around charging people for my skills willie nilly. Im not being racist but seems like there is a double standard. I see Mexicans selling bootleg movies right in front of people. Id have the cops clubbing my ass in ten minutes.

Could be the case.

I know that the guy that is a dumbfuck has the exactly same background in knowledge as me but he moved tech services, he has 15 years versus my 8 but prior to going to tech services he was a salesman playing as a tech. His technical knowledge is shit and has actually lost the company business because he refuses to get dirty. He dresses all nice. Never wears the same pair of shoes on a trip, Always irons his clothes and takes people in management to his little hidden speak easy type places. I am fine that I might be stiff at explaining issues and solutions but the easiest thing I do is pitch horrid ideas just to him and watch him literally mumble out my idea and see the company run with it for a year and watch us lose business. I have done the job of giving management ideas and it ends up with me working 60 hour work weeks for my manager to say "We will think about it".

Still I know how to dress and talk professionally, nothing to personal in conversations with them. Just talk about sports with management and coworkers. Maybe a few boring dates and some music. Have ironed my clothes and wore nice shoes. Still figured I might as well ask people making a little over double of what I make on how to get noticed in meetings.

You could take his advice in going full self-entrepreneur, but you don't necessarily need to sell fucking bootleg movies. You could make websites and tailored tech support for your customers, shit like that.

Yeah, you have to figure out the tax, insurance, and shit, but once you know how to do it, why the fuck would you let a company do it for you and take 3/4 of the money the customer would have otherwise given to you ?

If you're the OP, if you want a quick buck the fastest way possible but still legal, entrepreneurship is the way. Climbing the corporate ladder takes time, and sometimes the only reason why you're not up there is because people just consider you to be young and nothing else. It's like being an officer in the army. Unless you do some crazy shit (and even then), the only way you're getting promoted is by litterally getting older, just because of power plays and shit like that.

Don't make yourself sound like the good guy who made it.
you're literally the cunt that comes in and advises businesses on how to restructure for efficiency then moves on too the next company once they've fired 50 people and given you their pat on the back here have a bonus.
"I don't think you need Bob, John or Susan anymore even though they have been loyal for the last 25 years, little Jimmy can do all those jobs"
You're a corporate leach you back stabbing fuck...

ISO9000 QMS POS.

You have an easy ass job. All you do is build basic ass procedures that monkeys can follow and that one guy who has been with the company for 30 years who did everything to keep it going is now gone and replaced with some fucking dumbass with a B.S who can read a Work Instruction for half the price and half the results.

Well, all the answers to your problems are litterally in your post. Dude has double your experience, probably worked there longer than you, or has credentials//friends in there.

Do know that getting dirty is important, but it's only important when it's seen. A simple example is how I always happened to play videogames when my father was checking up on what I was doing at home, and even today, the old man is still trying to make me look like a lazy lout. My first job after graduation was me reading textbooks of everything related to the job on-site while taking notes and shit, and since I was R&D at the time, people thought I was extremely dedicated (while I was merely trying to catch up on shit I pretended to be good at during my job interview).

said "dumbfuck" is older, has a good sense of timing, and makes sure he's marketing himself the right way. Hell, the guy could pitch your good ideas as his own and his bad ideas as yours to other people for all we know.

I will be honest with you, I would really like to believe that you're doing your best and all but honestly ? The only reason why you're getting fucked over is that either you're not pitching your shit well enough, or they're being stuck ups because they feel threatened by you. Either way, the issue's on you. Fix it, or quit.

But if you quit and stumble on the same situation again, then I hope you'll get the hint.

He actually came into the company two years after I started. I had a manger on a lower level and my proudest moment was convincing my manger above him that the team we have was qualified enough to run the show without a mid level manager. They fired the guy and we all got his salary split between us.

The guy is friend of the owner and they literally created a position for the guy. So that might be the problem by itself. He actually cost the company a contract for 100,000 dollars because he overslept his flight.

It is nepotism.

Not OP but im sure there are plenty interested. I freely learn from your words. My skills cannot go under the radar so well. I am able to inspect, repair, approve transportation safety machines. If I went on my own, I could have a lot more money and choose my hours. The forest of red tape stops me in my tracks at the first thought. Im jelly of some who just start doing shit and learn the rules later and I have a superior who hopped the fence and was illegally doing government contract work until he was eventually (almost) qualified. Same with a contractor I know. Do now and make it right later. Friend has a neighboring house in residential zone with two escalades in the driveway. The house has a plywood windo with the food menu on it. Strangers eat in the yard. I just wish I had a little of that mindset but Im pretty sure it would just land me in jail.