Local Discord Group Kicked Me Out

I was part of a local discord chat room that was part of an organization where we developed video games. While I understand the many problems the industry has (sexism, harassment, and of course the bro-culture), I did my best not to be that kind of jerk. Apparently that wasn't enough.

A couple of nights ago, I got this message.

> Over the past several months we have given you warnings on several occasions for posting against the regulations of this server. Examples include: spam posts, negative comments, and insulting/hurtful language towards people with different viewpoints. You have ignored our warnings and replied with disrespect to the moderators. Based on your continued disregard, we have come to the decision to remove you from the server.

Considering my efforts to correct my own behavior (including therapy), the fact that other servers never seemed to have a problem with me, and the rules were mostly badly-worded SJW bullcrap, let's review what I did to fuck up:

"Spam posts" = I posted a paragraph's length of text. (As if anyone else was posting anything in a poorly populated chat room.)
"Negative comments" = I wasn't a "shining happy person"
"insulting/hurtful language towards people with different viewpoints" = called a non-political idea "foolish" (not "dumb", "stupid", or "retarded". just "foolish")
"You have ignored our warnings" = They never sent any DMs before hand! So technically, there weren't any "warning". Not even a temporary timeout ban.
"replied with disrespect to the moderators" = Because I disagreed with their "foolish" idea, also the guy who sent the message got pissed because I shared the score of a hockey game in an off-topic chat room.

Honestly I don't care anymore, but there is this nagging thought despite my efforts to be a better person, none of it mattered because the people in charge didn't fucking care anyway. Thoughts?

Attached: fuck-discord.jpg (400x400, 53K)

>called a non-political idea "foolish" (not "dumb", "stupid", or "retarded". just "foolish")
I don't know why you think that "foolish" is somehow way better than "dumb" or "stupid"

>Honestly I don't care anymore
seems like you do care plenty since you wrote this post

>I don't know why you think that "foolish" is somehow way better than "dumb" or "stupid"

What sounds better: "That sounds foolish" or "That sounds fucking retarded"?
How you say things, even if you disagree with them matters.
The SOFTEST landing I could provide was to say "foolish" as I honestly wasn't looking to hurt anyone.

>seems like you do care plenty since you wrote this post

Considering that nobody had the gust to send me a private message, or do things like use a temporary ban or time out?

Considering this group is attached with a thing I was doing IRL.

Considering they never wanted to do anything on my end of town or make any effort to be more inclusive despite bragging about how they were doing things to be more inclusive (but weren't), yeah it is kind of a big deal to me.

I though I found my social group. Was I wrong? Was a sucker for thinking I found friends but didn't?

I'm used to moderating communities and moderators in general.

To be perfectly honest, the process of deciding whether one should be banned permanently is either a very difficult process, or an easy one. In other words : does someone in the staff not like you, and decided to get you out (and are you certain about that fact) ? Or do you feel the mods to actually consult on each other and take that decision seriously ?

If it's the first option, then do disregard the rest of this post. Otherwise :

>"Negative comments" = I wasn't a "shining happy person"
Feels like your interpretation of it. Maybe you were just being a downer everytime someone came up with an idea. Maybe you were too realistic with people who were suggesting projects. Maybe you had a troll-y vibe. Or maybe you are really just a negative person. When people ask you "how are you", they don't expect you to tell them that you're currently in a depression, that your mom is in a coma and your sister just drank a gallon full of bleach. They just expect a "fine, thank you", because it was just superficial courtesy. Make sure the relationship you have with people is bilateral : if people are being courteous to you, just be courteous to them, nothing more, nothing less.

>
"insulting/hurtful language towards people with different viewpoints" = called a non-political idea "foolish" (not "dumb", "stupid", or "retarded". just "foolish")
If English is your main language, you know that calling one's idea foolish is pretty demeaning. dumb and stupid are outright insulting, and retarded is an offensive term. This is not fucking Jow Forums. You don't get to talk the same way you talk on /b/, and people do not have to take that shit from you. Again, bilaterality. If people are not expressing themselves in that way, make you sure you do not do that. And use comparatives and uncertainty. You wouldn't use the word foolish to qualify a colleague's work, but rather a phrase such as "I'm not sure the idea is a 100% sound"

>What sounds better: "That sounds foolish" or "That sounds fucking retarded"?

I'd go with what's behind Door C

>I don't know if that's a good idea
or
>I can't say that I fully agree with that

defnitely not calling someone's idea "foolish" which makes you sound pompous and autistic.

Unless you're British, I guess, people from the UK still use "foolish" and call people fools in regular everyday conversations? I mean it's still just as bad as saying their idea was retarded.

cont.

>"You have ignored our warnings"
They probably HL'd you or sent you a message on the server, rather than a PM. If anything, you guys had a hostile relationship, and it's pretty clear that they must have stated that they were kind pissed of at you one way or another. If that's really not the case, then appeal to them using that argument.

>"replied with disrespect to the moderators"
Yeah dude, just don't talk to mods if you don't like them.

>despite my efforts to be a better person, none of it mattered because the people in charge didn't fucking care anyway.

Listen, nobody gives a litteral single fuck about your "efforts" or your "progress" to be a better person. Your mom may be happy to see that you're now using the words "please" and "thank you", but other people won't, and expect you to do it. What people want to see in terms of behavior is result, not effort. Be well behaved, non-confrontational with people that are clearly hostile to you, and just think about leaving places full of negativity.

SJW bullcrap is what the rest of the world calls "political correctness". I know you probably spent the better part of your teenage years in Jow Forums, but most people haven't. They have set a certain code of courtesy, and you should learn to assimilate it rather than merely "pretending to be nicer".

>This is not fucking Jow Forums. You don't get to talk the same way you talk on /b/

Heck, before calling that thing foolish, I really looked what other words I could use besides foolish. I wanted to find a word that could have been as soft but poignant. I didn't find it.

I didn't outright call that thing "foolish" and I wrote "I'm sorry to say it but that sounds foolish". I mean the idea was really bad. Had I done this before? No. Yet, I got treated like I called them a retard.

What sounds better is "ah, but consider X negative outcome. Perhaps approach Y could hedge our bets more safely."

Or something. Aimless defamation is narcissism in one of its purest formats. Like drip-fed narcissism.

>How you say things, even if you disagree with them matters.
It doesn't matter for shit. If you get brushed off for being ill-mannered, your opinion will not be taken into account. And so what, dude ? This is not your fucking top management. They don't take your opinion into account, move on then.

>What sounds better: "That sounds foolish" or "That sounds fucking retarded"?

Maybe the phrase "I don't feel like it's a good idea" would be the appropriate way to talk ? If you're judging a person's idea, you're very close to emotional territory. Don't push people over the edge : that's called being toxic.

Again, you should've just been like "I can't say that I'm totally on board with that because xyz" instead of calling their ideas foolish like you're some sort Baron from the 1500s Shakespeare days.

>To be perfectly honest, the process of deciding whether one should be banned permanently is either a very difficult process, or an easy one. In other words : does someone in the staff not like you, and decided to get you out (and are you certain about that fact) ? Or do you feel the mods to actually consult on each other and take that decision seriously ?

Considering the group has a meeting where memberships are paid and they get together in person, and considering I haven't been able to participate at meetings, I would not be surprised if they actually did get together.

I did contact somebody else who I know was part of the group and he said that he didn't know anything about it.

>SJW bullcrap is what the rest of the world calls "political correctness".
No, this wasn't PC crap. It was turbo crap.

> I know you probably spent the better part of your teenage years in Jow Forums, but most people haven't.
I didn't find out about this place until after college.

>They have set a certain code of courtesy, and you should learn to assimilate it rather than merely "pretending to be nicer".
I didn't go there to pretend to be nice. My sincerity just wasn't accepted at all. At that point, why be like them if they never accepted anyone new into their community? Just trying to be nice was threatening to them as a screaming kid whose parents took them to visit from Santa Claus.

I had not initialited any hostility but defintely received a lot of it, and not because I spend time here at this website.

I wasn't any good at Shakespeare.

>"I don't feel like it's a good idea"
that still was considered a "microaggression". (What a load of crap.)

Well that may be that. But then again dude, you saw the replies in your thread. There are ways to talk to people, and feelings must be managed. I'm sure you would like to go full Ben Shapiro and say that facts don't care about your feelings and all, but feelings and social context are two crucial elements to be taken into account in a conversation with people.

This is not even SJW and politically correct shit that people have been talking about right now. This is basic courtesy, man. The same thing that parents or kindergarten teachers explain to kids. I do hope you get your shit together, and possibly appeal on your ban and explain them that you didn't have any warnings and that said moderator has been taking things in a personal way when you were only trying to help out by giving your two cents on the matter. Or just join a group where people are more in phase with the way you talk.

holy fuck it's just an app faggot
hahahahahahhahaha like nigga just turn off your phone lol

>"I can't say that I'm totally on board with that because xyz
>>I can't say that I fully agree with that

There's plenty of ways to tell someone that you disagree with them without being like FOOL! DO YOU NOT KNOW THE FOLLY OF YOUR WAYS? AWAY WITH YOU AT ONCE YOU SIMPLETON!

Nice blog post, why don't you join another discord and complain about it there?

I submitted a game idea to them two months ago and was told it was "stupid", but tried to elaborate the rules a little bit more to make it sound more fun. Still was called "stupid".

I spoke out again something last month and called it "foolish", they act as if I went to a park and exposed my dick to a bunch of kindergartners.

Now that is some double-standard shit right there.

>I didn't find out about this place until after college.

You get my point. It's not even Jow Forums but whatever place or shitty influence that made you think that saying foolish was the only alternative to "retarded" in a public channel full of random people.

>I didn't go there to pretend to be nice. My sincerity just wasn't accepted at all. At that point, why be like them if they never accepted anyone new into their community? Just trying to be nice was threatening to them as a screaming kid whose parents took them to visit from Santa Claus.

>I had not initialited any hostility but defintely received a lot of it, and not because I spend time here at this website.

Look buddy, nobody wants to be nice to people they don't know. The only reason why people are nice to each is to keep the peace and make sure the environment you're in is not toxic. People don't want your sincerity. As a matter of fact, people want to feel important, acknowledged and respected, and of course, you're not necessarily there to give them that either, no need to turn the whole thing into a circlejerk, BUT you have to take into account the feelings of people when you address feedback. Not everyone is capable of processing feedback in an objective way. It's your role to make sure that your feedback is understood and acknowledged as constructive criticism. I was considering leaving the thread but dude, your take on how things should work is really worrying me. You can't go around in a workplace with this kind of mindset, you will get fired so fast your head will be spinning.

And trust me, I know where you come from. I was kind of a loner during my high school and bach years and spent most of my time in here or similar places.

Ben who? Honestly, did you read anything here?

This guy didn't.

Neither did this idiot.

>People don't want your sincerity.

Do not confuse "sincerity" with "honesty".
I know when not to be honest.

>You can't go around in a workplace with this kind of mindset, you will get fired so fast your head will be spinning.

This wasn't at work.

Seriously, didn't you read anything from before?

In American English, there is nothing wrong with calling something foolish, especially if it is a bad idea.
Wow, this is as bad as the group I was in.

You guys realize this is a group of people who meet IRL but who use discord for online communicaton. I could have been on Slack or IRC and still got the same bullshit.

I read your fucking thread alright, thank you very much. From what I see, this is not an anarchical mic-spam discord server either, but rather a meeting of amateur developers. And the fact that you got banned for the shit you did kind of helps my case when i'm saying that you didn't understand the tone of the discord.

Look, at this point you have two options : You're either an inarticulate and uneducated idiot with tact issues or both the SJWs of that server and 5 random assholes from Jow Forums thought that you may have fucked up. What do you think is the most likely possibility ?

>This wasn't at work.
It's still a workplace-like setting. You're just a bunch of people working together on a common goal/objective. This isn't like friends you've known since middle school and you can be like NO STEVE THAT'S SO STUPID HAHA YOU'RE SO RETARDED DUDE and everyone laughs and whatever

>In American English, there is nothing wrong with calling something foolish, especially if it is a bad idea.

Do you not know what social context is?

This is so pathetic and cringey that it has truly opened my eyes to the bottom % of onions cuck posters on Jow Forums

I knew they existed, but I'm still surprised to see so many in one place

What does he mean by this ?

yeah only beta faggots know how to express slight disagreements in socially acceptable ways.

>You're either an inarticulate and uneducated idiot with tact issues or both the SJWs of that server and 5 random assholes from Jow Forums thought that you may have fucked up. What do you think is the most likely possibility ?

Considering I didn't spend all that time in college just to be told I'm a terrible person, and the fact that Jow Forums was never brought up in any part of that, AND THE FACT THAT THERE WERE NO POLITICS INVOLVED and that I WAS there as part of a group of amateur developers, I still think that this wasn't a decision by several people but of one or two people who really think a guy like me was a threat to whatever empire they're never going to build.

I've been kicked out of groups before. Not because of my own behavior but because of the leadership of the group didn't favor people like myself stealing their thunder. To them it is a powergrab rather than a community.

However, I have seen these people use force to get what they want, even falsely report me to security or the police just to get rid of me for no reason except to get rid of people who were outsiders.

My carrer search has been exactly like this too. I have a great resume. I have a good record. I've never been in trouble with the law. And yet people abuse authority to keep guys like me out because I am a threat to their bland world.

So did I have this coming? No.
Could they have handled it differently? Yes.
But how can I be part of a local community if I am so unwelcome and just can't up and leave to go somewhere else?

I disagree with all these tards OP.
You didnt do anything wrong, if you're being 100% honest with us on the details. Communication necessarily has some abrasive qualities if it is to be at all useful. What you did was pretty minor.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. You sound like an honest person, keep holding to your principles and be the person you know it is right to be and find another project with reasonable people to work on.

Oh, this guy who I'm pretty sure also posted this?

Total male patterend baldness, severe erectile disfuction, and got a thyroid fried from being near nuclear power plant for years.

He'll die alone.

Don't enable him, he obviously has social problems.

Thanks. It still sucks.

I've pretty much had one cuck who made me abandon the rest of my friends because I scare the hell out of him even without being threatening.

That's the thing, dude. You can't just "steal" people's thunder and be a threat to their bland world. And i don't want you to agree with that -Hell, I don't agree with that either-, but if you want to socialize with people in a constructive way, you have to dumb yourself down a little. In a dignified manner of course, you don't need to suck their dicks, but sometimes it's just good to pick your fights.

Stupid stuff like correcting people when that would make no difference in your life, having an opinion on everything, talking to people in absolutes… While I would love to agree with you and say that powerplay or drama was at hand, the truth is you can't put the blame of all the shit that's happening to you on drama only. In a way or another, willingly or not, you've been drawn to it, and you have to learn to avoid such a thing to happen.

I would at this point probably blame the guys who did that to you but that wouldn't help you improve your ways. In any case, just try and find a place with less toxic people, and try to be less confrontational. Just remember why you're there and focus on the goal at hand.

>My carrer search has been exactly like this too. I have a great resume. I have a good record. I've never been in trouble with the law. And yet people abuse authority to keep guys like me out because I am a threat to their bland world.

>So did I have this coming? No.
>Could they have handled it differently? Yes.
>But how can I be part of a local community if I am so unwelcome and just can't up and leave to go somewhere else?

I'll offer you another possibility : maybe because the way you're behaving with people is such that they realize you're not worth the hassle ? Maybe they realize that they could find a person with the same set of skills, the same intelligence, but well spoken ? Maybe they do not need someone on your level but just a guy who won't meddle with their shit ?

Honestly he sounds like the most reasonable person in this thread.
Multiple people spending multiple lengthy paragraphs on how "toxic" calling something foolish is is mind blowing to me. Passion and intensity in ideas and communication are going to be out the fucking window in our culture of if someone cant even get away with calling an idea foolish in a controlled, polite environment. "Foolish" is the tamest and most polite way to express the idea "strongly disagree in a manner that suggests mutual concern."

I doubt it had anything at all to do with the use of the word foolish: mods probably had it out for him and were looking for any excuse to boot him. What's most frightening is that they thought (and apparently rightfully so) that there is a large enough contingent of people out there that would find such an objection reasonable.

>Maybe they do not need someone on your level but just a guy who won't meddle with their shit

And maybe they can find a goose that shits a golden egg every 5 minutes owned by a woman who likes to suck guys off for free.

Yeah, good luck finding that kind of person.

It was minor, I don't disagree with that. But from what I have felt on this thread, it's more of a habit than an isolated event. Otherwise, like i said earlier, i would've moved on to another thread.

We've all had fall outs with communities due to personal drama and shit. But if that happens too often to the point where you have to get therapy, you can't just change your way of "behaving". it's better you change your way of thinking into a more flexible kind

>if you want to socialize with people in a constructive way, you have to dumb yourself down a little

> a little more

> a little more

> OK, now suck my dick, Bimbo.

We're certainly not writing lengthy paragraphs about this simple fact, you grandstanding fuck. You don't go around saying an idea is shit, or foolish, or retarded, or anything. That has litterally NEVER been done, unless you have a certain relationship that permits you to do that. Especially if the atmosphere and the relationship with the mods is downright hostile. You either want to stay, and you take things down a notch, or you don't write an entire blog post about getting banned without understanding why.

Like, litterally anybody who's on the discord that didn't get banned.

Look, Mandingo, i'm here to help civilized people out. Your animalistic take on social interactions is not needed.

>you don't write an entire blog post about getting banned without understanding why.

OP's posts are generally longer to explain EXACTLY what's going on. Details are important.

>the point
>you

What you have felt in this thread? You know you cant see any of our faces nor read any of our facial expressions. That's how things are "felt" in communication.

All any of us can do on Jow Forums is read emotive-less text and try to make-shift patch-in details of context based on numerous, contradicting life experiences that we have had that kind of sort of sound similar. I've been in situations where everything op said were coming from a dickhead and I've been in situations where everything op said were coming from an innocent victim of bullshit politics. I cant say if OP is either of these. All I can do, if I truly want to be honest, is take op at his word and work with what I have. Anything other than that is me projecting deliberate or inadvertent biases on something I have no actual senses to get a read or "feeling" on.

Trying to make friends on discord with people you don't know is like trying to make friends on here it never works out.

Discord is for losers, move on with your life.

I won't read your tirade about emotion. Read his posts. Dude is telling you he had the same issues in other situations + he's doing therapy regarding this particular issue.

And yes, you can clearly feel a tone in how people write what they write : that's precisely the reason why you have to have smoother language when you're talking to people on the internet vs having a casual chat with a friend IRL.

Look dude, the mods can make any rule they want and require that OP "takes things down a notch". But having your own set of rules in your own regulated environment in no way makes them "objectively reasonable". This is what OP came here to ask and if he is being 100% honest with us on the details, then being objectively is certainly not the case here with regards to the mods attitude. That's not a healthy space for honest communication by most intelligent, historical western standards of thought.

You're not even going to reach my post? So much for charitable communication...

Good enough. Good luck OP. Keep doing what you do.

There are literally two options :
1) OP was bullied by power hungry fucks on a discord.
2) OP was banned following on a reasonable basis.

Either way, OP has already expressed a precedent for this kind of situation. What kind of advice would be more suited then ?

1) Mind your manners next time or at least take a step back and reconsider your actions better

or

2) Keep doing what you do, you're clearly in the right

That's it. I'm just like you, a random dude who just happened to stumble on this thread and offer the most appropriate kind of help in this kind of situation that i went through too.

You must have missed the part that this was linked with an IRL group that generally meet several times a month.