I cried in front of my boss

I'm a summer intern at a transportation corporation. I'm rolling into my fourth week. During a weekly 1 on 1 meeting with my boss, she was critiquing my booklet design and I let out a few tears. It made it seem like I was crying because I couldn't take the critique. In actuality, I began crying because I was so stressed out about the project and had other things going on in my life.
When she saw me crying she got an attitude with me and was talking down to me like I was less than a person. She also said, "well let me know when you find out why you were really crying, since you say it wasn't the critique that made you cry."

I've been pretty sad about it over the weekend and on Monday I have to face her again since the incident. She's 56 years old with a doctorate degree. I think she's actually bitter because the day before the incident, I mentioned that I was thinking about getting a doctorate degree. It seems that she doesn't want a young person to be "on her level," education-wise.

I'm asking for advice on how to stay strong in a time like this and how should I act when she tries to talk to me.

Attached: iStock-629600556-cryy-sadd-depressionn-mentall-doctorr-workk-officee-blackk-diversityy.jpg (500x333, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-queen-bee-in-the-corner-office/534213/
chiefexecutive.net/ceo1000-gender-bias-holds-women-back-leadership-roles-prove/
forbes.com/sites/pragyaagarwaleurope/2018/10/23/not-very-likeable-here-is-how-bias-is-affecting-women-leaders/
irishtimes.com/business/work/gender-inequality-in-the-workplace-is-down-to-bias-study-finds-1.3268490
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You act like you always act, you owe your boss nothing, you don't need to excuse yourself or defend your emotions.

If your boss is shit, get a new boss. Since you’re a student you can cry into your paycheck and look at opportunities with a different company next summer. Bad bosses happen, it’s a learning experience, that’s why researching company culture is important

>I think she's actually bitter because the day before the incident, I mentioned that I was thinking about getting a doctorate degree. It seems that she doesn't want a young person to be "on her level," education-wise.
Lol this is just cope on your part. She was pissy because you straight up cried like a child when she told you to fix some things, and then you claimed to be crying about something else. On Monday go and see her and apologize for your behavior. Tell her you were stressed, it was the straw that broke the camels back, and it won’t happen again.

Cope on my part?
I don't know... because her, another woman and myself were eating lunch one day and my boss was eating a salad. She was mixing it, then as soon as I mentioned getting a doctorate degree, she kinda started jabbing harder at her salad like she got mad about it. She then asked what would I get it in and sternly said "you would need to make sure you know what you're doing." She caught an attitude out of no where. Then there was an awkward silence and she had stopped making eye contact with me and stopped talking directly to me.
Or maybe I'm imagining things!

Get a new boss

Best time to quit is when they entrust you with a heavy workload. Try to postpone it to the deadline and then just bail out leaving the task unfinished.

Also, during the meeting, I just quickly wipes the tears away and kept on talking. She asked what was wrong and I just said that I was stressed about other things. She kept wanting to talk about why I was crying but I kept trying to talk about the booklet. It was like she was trying to pick at me for crying or something.

I cried infront of my female boss when she said my coworkers were complaining about my body odor (wearing ratty sneakers that smelled like death) and she was like ohh but you don't smell I don't notice anything! Bless her heart she was really sweet.

My internship will be done the first week of August, so I'm going to do my best to keep going until then. I had an internship at the same company last year and had a different boss because I was in a different department. Things were perfect back then! But yeah, all bosses are different.

You had a very sweet boss and she sounds so caring!

that sucks, man. i kinda get you cus i went through the same thing but i didn't cry, it definitely bummed me out though
stay strong, if she mentions it just say it was stress related and won't happen again

>I think she's actually bitter because the day before the incident, I mentioned that I was thinking about getting a doctorate degree. It seems that she doesn't want a young person to be "on her level," education-wise.
Jesus fucking Christ, I can see why she's frustrated. She wants to work with adults, not children.
She's not irritated because "she doesn't want you to have a doctorate". 15 year olds think that way, and she hasn't been that insecure for 40 years.
She's irritated because she doesn't want to coddle an incompetent child, and upon learning that you can't handle the job nor have the spine to improve, she realized that you will require a lot more work from her side than she wants.
If you start crying when your performance is noted, it means you will likely never be capable of doing you job satisfactorily.
Believe it or not, a job isn't daycare. You are expected to perform at a certain minimum level.

Women managers are bossy, catty bitches. They are biologically not meant to be in charge. Studies confirm that women "say" they think women can lead in general, but none of them actually want a female boss in real life.

For those of you saying that I'm a child for my behavior and the doctorate comment, she didn't say my work was bad. She just said she wanted more spacing between the lines of text. Nothing serious. My boss clearly has some animosity towards me. Yall are crazy

man the chillest boss i've had was female
then they replaced her with a bossy catty bitch and she fired me lol

Well shit! lmao that sucks man

>It was like she was trying to pick at me for crying or something.
No duh. You lack empathy, like you can’t seem to put yourself in your boss’s shoes and imagine why she would be mad that you cried when you were criticized. Other people can’t read your thoughts you know. You gotta learn to look at things from other people’s perspectives.
Man you really don’t do well with criticism huh? If you want to believe that your boss got mad at you because she’s jealous of your academic future then good luck

>studies

Link literally any of them

OP

Jow Forums hates women.
Make the same thread later and switch the genders and the answers will be vastly different.

Read this article on the topic. Several studies, surveys, and academic journals seem to suggest that he is right.

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-queen-bee-in-the-corner-office/534213/

If you really believe men and women are equal and they are just as good at everything, you have probably watched too many Disney movies. There is no hope for you.

Part of growing up in the modern world is learning to deal with stress and adversity in a healthy manner. A lot of young people in a new position feel overwhelmed at first, it's a matter of adapting and changing your mindset

I think the hope is lost on you mate.

First the logical fallacies all over your post. You got an awful lot of assumptions based on asking for a source, and it's this kind of guy thay always spouts "men and women aren't equal deal with it" but never source anything when men are weaker at something, and then cite things that are circumstantial and society based. It is much harder for women to even get high level positions, and in order to be taken seriously, yet men have no problem with this and any bad behavior is considered good.masculine features while any behavior or women is considered bad feminine features.

The only conclusion you could make was "I think women are inferior and look I'm not misogynistic because I found a study that says women don't want women as bosses. Hah checmate."

Men and women are individuals with different experiences, but women are overly criticized and men hardly criticized at all. This is what has been observed. Nowhere has it stated "men and women are unequal" like you want to say.

The wording of your posts says all we need to know about who you are. I highly suggest you educate yourself a bit further.

chiefexecutive.net/ceo1000-gender-bias-holds-women-back-leadership-roles-prove/

forbes.com/sites/pragyaagarwaleurope/2018/10/23/not-very-likeable-here-is-how-bias-is-affecting-women-leaders/

irishtimes.com/business/work/gender-inequality-in-the-workplace-is-down-to-bias-study-finds-1.3268490

Attached: your-memes-are-bad-and-you-should-feel-bad-i-really-showed-them.jpg (400x400, 108K)

>First the logical fallacies all over your post.
There are no fallacies in my post.

> and then cite things that are circumstantial and society based.
It's not possible to do a study outside of society unless you want to start putting women in cages for experiments.

>yet men have no problem with this and any bad behavior is considered good.masculine features while any behavior or women is considered bad feminine features.
This is unscientific rambling.

>Women are overly criticized and men hardly criticized at all.
More unproven and outrageous assertions.

Gender and racial bias is GOOD. Women and minorities literally get their positions through affirmative action and quotas, not through competence and hard work like white or asian men. The studies show they actually are less likable and that it is not a bias; furthermore, it was the women who said their female bosses who are unlikable whores more so than men.

Try again without linking me to communist HR bullshit where they talk about empowering trans women of color.

Nobody is even acknowledging that I mentioned that my boss showed anger after I said something about another degree... You guys don't think that's weird?
I can take critiques. I've had intense portfolio reviews in front of many committees. So I was not crying about the critiques.
All I'm saying is that I don't think my boss handled the situation well. She didn't hurt my feelings or anything.

>You guys don't think that's weird?
Yeah it’s weird that you keep bringing it up. Why are you trying to convince yourself that she has this grudge against you because you want a doctorate?
>I can take critiques
Onviously mot, given your posts ITT
>So I was not crying about the critiques
You keep missing the fact that your boss didn’t see it that way. You just happened to start crying as she was critiquing you, and you expect her to know that your tears had nothing to do with what was happening in the moment.
>All I'm saying is that I don't think my boss handled the situation well. She didn't hurt my feelings or anything.
You apparently didn’t handle it well either. It obviously hurt you enough to make this thread and argue with people who have different opinions on the situation. Are you at least going to talk with your boss about the incident come Monday?

We talked about the issue right then and there. I said that I'm just stressed and apologized and kept trying to talking the work. I didn't make a scene about. She's the one that kept trying to discuss the fact that I let out two tears. I wasn't boo hoo crying.

You just want to be "right" lol. I did handle it well by apologizing and continuing to discuss business with her.

Attached: e30.jpg (400x300, 58K)

>She didn't hurt my feelings or anything.
>*cries*
lol....

THIS

OP YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE GENDERS OF YOU EVER WANT REAL ADVICE. OR BETTER YET DON'T COME TO CONTAINMENT BOARDS.

No, you didn't. You kept pretending like it was nothing, brushing her comments off.

Handling it well would be discussing it to your boss's satisfaction (resulting in her no longer having any questions about the topic) and then continuing with the work discussion.

It sounds like you lack empathy lol

I just quit my job as a tech at a car dealership my boss saw me crying my last day 6'4" grown ass man crying it happens im not made of stone i dont expect other people to either but not everyone is as understanding i suppose

Discussing it to her satisfaction?
I did say that I was stressed about the work. She asked me why and I just said that I have a lot on my plate as an intern.
If you were in this situation, what else do you think you'd say?? (genuinely asking for your advice)

Can you please just learn to reply to specific posts you newfag? How are we supposed to know who you’re talking to?

I'm pushing 40 and a manager at my job and have had to deal with employees crying when being criticized or confronted. It's frankly annoying and offputting, especially when the criticism has been a long time coming. I have to keep in mind that it's hard to hear negative things about yourself to try to conjure up sympathy, especially when I suspect the employee is being manipulative.

It's highly unlikely that your phd-holding boss is just bitter or nasty and not just frustrated that you started crying when she was giving you needed feedback. She has likely dealt with this before and just wants to do her job.

That said, you don't owe her any sort of explanation for your emotional state. If she actually follows up and wants to know what's going on in your personal life (doubtful that she will), just tell her you're having issues outside of work and will try not to let them affect your performance in the future.

You're right as fuck lol. This is my last time replying anyway.

Sucks to be a retarded shitskin.

When I cried in front of my boss I got fired from my part time job that I really needed. It was because of emotional abuse from someone with BPD. I was told to sit in the back, finish the shift, then the next day the boss calls me saying it's not going to work out. Some bosses just want robots they can command. Not humans with emotions.

Sexism wasn't working out so you switched to racism? Funny cause I'm white, guess I missed the memo memes had to match the demographic of the user.

Happy day op and take care