Can you be too old to learn a new language?

I'm 35 and moving to Denmark. I know most of them speak english but I still need to learn the lingo.
Any tips?

Attached: danish-girl-euro-2012.jpg (530x550, 77K)

We have a saying around here,

>you cant learn a new tongue without tongue to tongue contact

Just saying..

Whut?

Take a course before going. Use duolingo. Go out for drinks with your colleagues and speak to them in Danish with the power of beer.

Find a gf/bf while you are there. Both have sex with them and have them teach you the language

Speaking about native level: around the time you're 7 months old you start losing your ability to learn a new language. By the time you're 10 year old you lost most of it.

Anyway, since English and Danish are of the same family, it shouldn't be too hard to master it at a conversational level.

My gf is danish. That's part of the reason I'm moving there

Nice, try to have her speak to you danish unless it necessary for her to talk you in english..

>moving countries for a woman

i swear there isnt a single pair of balls on this whole board

This is why you will die alone, bitter, and having never even kissed a girl.

dieing alone doing the thing u love >>> fade out with a woman who cucked u

No, though it does it more difficult as you age

Because it's impossible to do what you love and be with a woman you love. It's a either or thing.

Going out of your way to wish misery on others just because they are happy is why you will die a kissless bitter virgin.

>just because they are happy
You say it like it's perfectly fine.

Dane here.
We have schools that teach immigrants Danish.
I assume they are free, so ignore the muslim women and just get the reading material from them.

We are obviously speaking our own language primarily, but we take any chance to use our English so tell people you are learning and make them speak Danish to you, anyone can always clarify words when needed.
Language is also an interesting topic, so a lot of people will do that if there is time.

However, this obviously depends on demographic. I work at a university, so I speak English the majority of the time and am one of those people who don't always have time and will just switch to English if I need to end the conversation faster.
If you on the other hand work in construction, you will see people lean harder towards speaking danish to you and not slow down for you to get everything.

As for tips specifically for the language, it is fairly simple. Learning to read and write should be super simple for an adult who speaks English. Some sentences have a reversed or different set of words, but many words in Danish exist as a very old fashioned English word.
Eg, we say farewell instead of goodbye, folk instead of people, kin instead of gender and there are many more.
The danish words in those examples are farvel, folk and kon.

We are very forgiving, so if you are talking to someone and you are saying a danish sentence with an English word in there, just go with it, it is funny and everyone understands.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Appreciate it :)

Np.
If you have any questions, shoot.

Nah, my dad had to learn Italian at around the age of 40 and now he knows how to perfectly speak it for his job and can speak colloquially well too

Not really. This is a controversial research area. Some believe you will take longer to reach fluency as you age, others think it is actually easier to learn languages as we age sincs the brain is more developed at acquiring new information. Most researchers agree that children are better at acquiring new phonetics, whereas adults have a hard time mimicking sounds from other languages. In practice yes people 35+ learn languages all the time for business and pleasure, but you will always sound like a foreigner no matter how fluent you become.

That is okay. If you make sense and understand people, accents are just quirks.

Being happy is the death of creativity and progress, sadness is not the absence of being happy, Melancholy is. it is not a bad thing it is simply the lack of endorphins that lets you think clearly and precisely, just don't let the endorphin withdrawals turn you into a sad sack junkie. You don't need happiness you just need a purpose, happiness is a byproduct of purpose, not a reward or a goal.
The same goes for relationships, Love is not the goal but a simple byproduct of a functioning relationship, have a goal, it tends to be kids, financial security, a home ect ect. We will all make it, just don't be delusional.

pls take me with you

user I'M CHEERING FOR YOU YOU'RE AWESOME FOR MOVING FOR YOUR GIRL!!!!!