Aspiring Writer Question

I want to start writing, but I am a serial procrastinator. Any advice?

Attached: me af.jpg (383x254, 57K)

if you're a procrastinator, maybe you're the type of person who gets "in the zone" and writes one night a week for like 10 hours on coffee and cigarettes. or adderall.

when you feel "the flow" crank out as much as possible.

unless you have the discipline to sit down and write X pages a day, which can be pretty hard to do.

To not start.

You'll be mediocre anyway, considering you lack the motivation

>aspiring writer

Never use these two words again OP. This is not a real job, you won't become a successful writer. In the best case scenario you'll be able to publish one garbage book that will sell 43 copies and you'll survive by teaching entry lit classes in some shitty community college.

Get a real job that makes money, retire early and use your free time to write as a hobby.

What you need is a publisher.

I actually hire and fire writers on the regular. All of you writers are the same you come with these high aspirations and think that everyone should buy whatever you write. Although most don't survive the onslaught, writing book, after book to only find no one is interested in your titles, or to write and your book sells but not profitability, or you write a book and you get negative reviews. As the publisher it my job to find markets, create outlines, commission graphic artists, and hire the writers and make them write until there hands bleed, then when they give up,

I hire more, then when they give up, I hire more, until we overcome.

That is how you make money writing with persistence and determination, but most writers just don't have the persistence to keep writing to a market.

Or they are like you, they don't want to get started because you know deep down this is hard, it is tough, but in the end LOVE IS WORTH IT.

SO WRITE DAMMIT, WRITE UNTIL YOUR HANDS BLEED.

Or you can come write for me when you go bankrupt.

Haha, I will be waiting. Hopefully your writing isn't SHIT.

Attached: publisherwriterrelationship1.jpg (225x289, 30K)

Well damn

What if I want to write a comic but have no luck finding an artist? Can I come to any old book publisher and they can help me find one?

Yes, because the book publisher is there to HELP you.

Have a schedule you adhere to each day of when you will write and for how long, follow that and do not diverge from it. Early mornings tend to be best.

How do you know when you find a good book to publish, and what kind of books find the most success in your experience?

My most profitable niches right now are cookbooks, children books, and romance novels. Write to either one of those markets you at least have a chance at making something that could make you some money starting off. Although remember young writer you must be persistent, you must love the customer.

Give it your all, refuse to give up. End your writers block this very moment and start writing until you can't write anymore, then start writing some more. Write until you pass out. Then wake up the next morning and write more.

If you need any kind of extra motivation and help to step your game up and fucking write ... why do you even bother?
Unironically not a bad advice.
>impying it not being a job is a bad thing
What kind of publishing house are you working for? How many works do you buy annually? Do noname authors ever get a respectable advance?
Thanks for answers in advance.

I built my own publishing house after the loss of my former fiancee. I was her personal publisher, she was really heavy on romance novels, she loved them and she wrote them herself. I wanted to help her so I did everything I could to support her dream. I learned to proofread, edit, find graphic artists, and find markets for her books.

We did very well together and we still do, but she moved on and stopped writing since on her last book she got a negative reception. Just a few angry people that didn't like the way her series ended is what made her give up and for us to grow apart so much that she left me for another man.

I still have control over her works, and I still send her royalties to her every year.

At the time right now I run a trade publishing house, we buy 100 works a year and no I never give noname authors a respectable advance, unless they can prove that they deserve it.

In most cases they don't deserve it.

How much do 'successful' authors usually make off of one book generally?

I have a 60/40 pay structure. The company keeps 60% and the writer gets paid 40% or the writer can just take a lump sum after the book is completed.

>Just a few angry people that didn't like the way her series ended is what made her give up and for us to grow apart so much that she left me for another man.
Holy shit. Now that's some impact from negative feedback. Didn't she at least get some occasional shitty reviews for previous books to prepare a bit? Was she happy with the ending herself?

>In most cases they don't deserve it.
Sounds fair. While looking into publishing/getting an agent I read a few hundred queries and even from the few good ones, barely any looked like big franchise starters.

(Last question) How do publishers feel about novellas? Is it worth writing/publishing one to establish an author or is it a waste of time?

Thanks for taking the time to answer, and sorry for derailing your thread OP.

This guy knows what's up. We writers have seen way too much bad TV. The actual writer job is not romantic at all, is fucking discipline and autistically write 24/7 to appeal to some people. The catch? You must like to some degree the garbage you make, even if its just some cheesy SoL romance. The problem is that we unironically want to make a timeless piece of work when our skill is just a couple of creative writing courses, a meme degree and 2 hours of writing per week.

>Didn't she at least get some occasional shitty reviews for previous books to prepare a bit?
Very few, but the heartbreak from slaving over a computer for months on 12 hour shifts to create a 300 page tome for her readers just for them to say "We hate this, its horrible, and for people to start emailing you about how they hated it or sending you videos of them burning your book" just really took its toll on her.

> Was she happy with the ending herself?
She told me she was happy with it, but I assume that wasn't the truth.

How do publishers feel about novellas?
I love the idea of novellas, they are perfect for people who don't want to read large 300 page tomes.

Is it worth writing/publishing one to establish an author or is it a waste of time?
I like to say love is worth it, if the market you are writing to is worth it, if the customer is worth your love.
Write until your hands bleed.

>The actual writer job is not romantic at all, is fucking discipline and autistically write 24/7 to appeal to some people. The catch? You must like to some degree the garbage you make, even if its just some cheesy SoL romance. The problem is that we unironically want to make a timeless piece of work when our skill is just a couple of creative writing courses, a meme degree and 2 hours of writing per week.

YES, YES, YES! It is a labor of love, you must give it your all.

>people being so mad they unironically bring back book burning
In a way it sounds damn flattering when something you wrote could have such an emotional impact on somebody.

>Very few, but the heartbreak from slaving over a computer for months on 12 hour shifts to create a 300 page tome for her readers just for them to say "We hate this, its horrible, and for people to start emailing you about how they hated it or sending you videos of them burning your book" just really took its toll on her.
That sounds like she wasn't just another meme writer. Don't give more personal info user or we might know who you are and you will have a shit ton of /lit/ autist sending you their shitty shitty work