My boyfriend always keeps a knife on him for self-defense, ”just in case”. Weapons laws are very strict here...

My boyfriend always keeps a knife on him for self-defense, ”just in case”. Weapons laws are very strict here, he shouldn’t be carrying that thing at all, and I know he’d always have a firearm on him if the law permitted it.

He also sleeps with a different knife under his pillow, and other weapons stashed around in tactical places around the house.

We live in an extremely safe area, almost all assault and violent crime you hear of was domestic or otherwise personal. My boyfriend is a shy homebody who has never broken the law in a meaningful way, nor would he ever know the kind of people who kill people.

He says he can’t help being paranoid, but he also refuses to see a psychiatric professional.

This is all unsettling to me. What can I do?

Attached: 70F9A333-04DF-4490-B94C-F0661BC03360.jpg (750x739, 499K)

Keep calling him paranoid until he stabs you.

Mother of all red flags right there. He needs help.

Why do you find this unsettling?

He isn’t even the type to be violent. He wouldn’t harm a fly.

He says he doesn’t like shrinks.

Because there’s no need for it. I’ve been around dudes who deal with bad people - and to be honest, have probably done bad shit themselves - and I know the type. He is not it.

There is no reason for him to be acting like this.

He sounds like a fucking dweeb lmao

Is there anyone else who knows he does this who can confirm why he does this? Worst thing would be if you found out he only did this around you and he does it to intimidate you so you don't leave him.

If it makes you uncomfortable, talk to him. If he doesn't change, leave. That's cause for concern. One bad day could end with a knife in your face.

Unless he grew up in a bad situation, there's no explaining it. Even then, more than one knife is excessive.

What's wrong with having the tools at your disposal to protect yourself and loved ones? You don't need it until you do. It's not paranoid, it's being prepared. Everyone that was unarmed when they got robbed, stabbed, shot, raped, etc would have at least had a fighting chance.

He doesn’t do it to intimidate, we both know he’d never harm me. And he’s more scared of people than I am, I’ve complained to him about the way he won’t tell me that he’s uncomfortable and he wants to leave, saying he doesn’t want to ruin my good time just because of it.

The house weaponisation thing is fairly new, though. He just moved away from home in the middle of the woods to a 1st floor apartment in the city, and he doesn’t like or trust the idea that there are strangers walking right behind his door and under his window.

I’ve lived in the exact same apartment and never once felt endangered.

There's no need for a fire extinguisher either, until your house is on fire.

A knife is minimal insurance, and a fantastic tool to always have on hand. It's a pretty shitty home defense weapon, though. Tell him that he needs to start tying some of them to sticks. Spears > Knives.

I could understand being upset about having knives hidden everywhere... that's a bit much. If you've got two on you, that's good enough. Under the pillow... again, a bit unnecessary. If you wake in the night, it's probably not going to still be under the pillow which completely defeats the purpose. Nightstand is fine.

I've never killed anybody either, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't be prepared to. A statistic will do nothing to save you from reality, and when you've got people to protect, you can't afford failure.

Tell him to take a self defense class. He will not need a knife if he knows martial arts.

He should own a gun too, knives aren't really viable for self defense. It's more a tool than anything else.

Do you think a man with a record of fragile mental health could get a gun for self-defense in a country where even the police can’t get a gun without an official lisence, and it’s illegal to carry a knife unless for an obvious crafting purpose?

I have a large dog and a loaded rifle with 30 rounds in the magazine. It doesn't make me paranoid, it just means I'll not be the one leaving in a body bag if you break down my front door. It may be unlikely I'll ever have to do that, and I hope I never do, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it could never happen. I know it's a meme, but when seconds count the cops are only minutes away.

That might be so in America, but where I’m from, gun crime is very rare and it’s essentially always people you know.

If you don’t get involved with organised crime or people who are criminally insane, you are essentially safe.

This

Lol no. I was kind kidding/being polarizing.
But it's true that knives are terrible for self defense. There's a saying that nobody wins a knife fight, one person dies right away and the other dies in the hospital.

I would only worry about him keeping them under his pillow and stuff like that. It's not normal. And I would worry about his own mental state of mind, not be fearful that he's dangerous or anything like that.

It’s his mental state that I DO worry about.

In America it actually is quite rare too. The hugely inflated numbers you see include suicides, accidents, etc. Actual gun murders are a fairly small number for a country of 300 million and are concentrated in some neighborhoods in a few cities ie Chicago. Nevertheless, crime does happen, and occasionally happens to people who don't mix up with terrible people. A man twice your size can kill you with no weapons at all. A baseball bat can really ruin your day in the hands of the wrong person. Being able to defend yourself really is a human right. All the "important" people have someone or multiple people that are protecting them with weapons or at the very least someone with great hand to hand skills. Are you or your boyfriend any less important than those so called important people? No. So maybe the knife under the pillow is a bit silly but I would say he means well and just wants you both to be safe.

I'd get him some help. Carrying a knife around with the express purpose of self-defense is a great way to ruin your life with a manslaughter charge. All it would take is him to be approached by some 16-year-old wanna-be-thug acting tough, and for him to fly off the handle and kill the kid, and he'd be in jail so fast it would make his head spin. At least 2 lives ruined because of meaningless mental insecurities.

I used to do similar things. I slept with a hammer in my hand for a long time and would never leave the house without a knife; sometimes i would have the knife out and ready hidden in my sleeve. I have anxiety issues for which I am receiving medication.

If I had to guess, your boyfriend has some kind of childhood trauma that leaves him feeling unsafe at all times. If he won’t see a shrink (which is a dumbass thing to say, making him a dumbass) see if you can convince him to get pepper spray instead of knives.

>What can I do?
Have aex with him

Attached: 1428985234376.jpg (618x416, 19K)

lol he sounds like me, in any case leave him alone because its not hurting anyone

>Failing a simple meme reply like this

Just a guess, but he might be involved in criminal activities that you don't know about.

sounds like regular guy behavior to me.
though if its illegal to carry a knife with him he probably shouldn't

I do the same thing.

It's called being prepared to protect your loved ones no matter what. I know it is extremely unlikely it will ever happen, but the poor lad has probably been watching too much news. There is nothing mentally wrong with him, he's just a bit afraid of the city.

99.999% of all men who ever lived carried deadly weapons every day. Your boyfriend is normal and probably stronger than most, as he doesn't rely on a police state to protect him and doesn't give in to whining women who are scared of tools. Support him.

And if you really want to help him,

>keep him off the news
>take him out on the town a few times and meet some people
>get him an extra security lock to put on your door

All this will help him relax a bit and normalise and sleep more soundly at night.

>99.999% of all men who ever lived carried deadly weapons every day
Not even close, retard.

>security locks

I mean these. One goes at the top and bottom of the door.

Just remember that young men today are made to feel constantly threatened by noisy, 'diverse' (low trust) cities, druggies and alcoholics everywhere, and endless news of crime. Try to understand that this is what's making him overcompensate. He's afraid, but he has good reason to be. Try to help him have more faith that things will be OK. If he insists on bringing a blade, get him to wrap it in his coat at the bottom of a rucksack so it's for 'absolute worst case scenarios' only.

Attached: eurospec-internal-security-bolt-directdoors-key.jpg (1024x1024, 107K)

>what is a spear
>thinking everyone didn't carry clubs, sticks or blades up to 1750 at least

>Spears > Knives.

t. lindy

A walking stick will easily beat a knife.

God tier home defence weapon is a 6' staff. Not even threatening, looks like a walking stick.

Also this. Suggest that he carries something like a big wrench. Assuming he's got his wrench loicense

Attached: 31OJLwiypjL._SX425_.jpg (425x479, 10K)