I work as a web developer, but I don't feel passion for it

So, I'm a web developer, I work as a web developer, I studied Web Developing for 2 years, and I know my way around front-end developing (the things that user is actually going to see), but today, we were moving a project to another server, and my boss told me to check "the permissions of the front-end folders" and I was absolutely confused.

I don't know what the fuck is that, how do I even check the permits of a folder? Then, she told me shit like "that's basic programming stuff", and I didn't replied to her, because, Honestly, I'm not sure if it is. I've never used the console to "check" for permissions, let alone move stuff directly from the console, instead of the windows tools.

I've got other problems, like, everybody uses their free-time to investigate new frameworks, languages and getting informed on the newer technologies, but I couldn't care less, I use my free-time to read, or play Dark Souls, or anything really, but researching about how can I make my code run 1 second faster.

I'm not competitive, due to my asperger, which makes me care even less, but I'm started to get worried, because my boss and my co-worker seemed legitimately baffled that I didn't know how to check the permits of a folder,

I only know how to code front-end stuff, I'm sorry if I'm not LIVING to program, and when I NEED to move to another language, I'll do it, no problem, but I'm not learning Kotlin in my free time just cus another co-worker said it was "the future".

Does anybody else has this problem? Is it wrong for me to don't spend all of my time in researching newer languages and shit?

Attached: 1548174752157.png (665x618, 277K)

Checking permissions isn't "programming stuff", that's operating system stuff. It's very basic and you could simply look it up.

Continuing to learn about technology isn't something that only people interested in technology do. People interested in being a more valuable employee (which they also seek to link to their job position, salary, and job security) also do this.

If you're not interested in learning anything beyond the bare minimum to do your job, I wouldn't say that's wrong, but it does make you less competitive in getting and keeping jobs.

I'm just saying I don't like doing it. I'm just a worker, I'm not aspiring to be THE programmer around, I just want to do my job and go back home, is that wrong? I mean, I don't love my job, I love reading, and I love playing Dark Souls, that's why I read a lot, and research alot about Dark Souls, therefore, if I don't love something, what's even the point?

Do t you just right click>properties a folder!

Don’t you just*
?*
God I hate phoneposting, but I’m at work, sorry buddy

also, I did researched how to do it, because I needed to do it, due my responsabillities at my job, not because I randomly started thinking "yeah, I want to change permissions for my folders". I'm not saying I didn't learn it, now at least, icacls and shit, but I'm not having the urge to learn by myself, when I could be doing something I actually love in my free time.

they asked me to do it from the console, cmd, I already researched it, my actual problem is that I never needed to learn it before, therefore I didn't, and not knowing if I'm wrong for not learning it before I needed to learn it.

Being a developer means googling everything. It also means having a job that fucking sucks but pays well.. If you can't handle it someone else will gladly take your job

I google everything, I'm just saying:

If I don't need to google it, it won't spark into my head to "check for permissions of my folders" randomly. I don't have initiative to research about programming shit.

>If I don't need to google it, it won't spark into my head to "check for permissions of my folders" randomly. I don't have initiative to research about programming shit.
That's just being practical. The only thing I would suggest is have a personal project that you work on home that is mostly about experimenting and could potentially net you passive income down the line. Just don't tell your boss about it because I think they could claim credit for it and take it from you.

I went to school for interactive media design (mostly web) and I couldn't be assed either. I thought of getting into front-end development, since it doesn't require subjective creativity (something either works efficiently or not) but the idea of learning new languages puts me off. Most of these new languages and packages are full with bugs and errors that then get fixed months later. Just to keep track of all the changes constantly doesn't seem that great, especially if you don't need it.

Welcome to the world. Your parents, grade school teachers, and colleagues have all allowed you to live a delusional, coddled life up until this point. To get by in the world, you have to commit your life to your work; it has been this way for everyone besides aristocrats and the wealthy since the dawn of civilization. Since you got this far without realizing this, making the change over to it will be extremely hard for you, but it's something you're going to have to deal with now.

Here's how I suggest you deal with it: by respecting your parents' decision to show you so much love so you could be in bliss all day long, every day; by acknowledging that they were shortsighted and didn't understand the ramifications of spoiling you like that and not coming to hate or disrespect them for that (since they are only human, just like you); and by harnessing all that bliss you had growing up however you can to make the world today a better place. As an adult, you have to commit to society, so start realigning your passions so that they can bring value to society, remember what makes you happy and bring that happiness to the workplace, seek better jobs and opportunities until you can eek out your own island in the world where you provide value and you get value in return. Good luck.

I think your point of view is reasonable but it sounds like you're mainly upset because someone acted condescending toward you. Programming is so massive now in terms of its span and variance of disciplines that who even knows what "basic" is really. A lot of programmers are condescending pricks though so its par for the course I guess.

I'm not a web dev guy but I do find myself reading about stuff in my field, largely because I know what parts of my job are difficult and I like reading about ways I can make them easier. I think having knowledge about new frameworks and all that stuff is only really useful when you're interviewing or if you have a brand new project that you're invested in technically and you're sick of the ways you normally do things. Otherwise if it ain't broke don't fix it

It doesn’t seem like you enjoy this career path at all. Changing permissions is that kind of thing people learn how to do before going to college because they do this sort of thing for fun, or as a necessity to do a related fun thing. A lot of people get into this because of the money or lifestyle but you’ll never beat someone who is genuinely curious and enjoys it. The reason I say this is because there are a lot of little details that aren’t touched on in college and it’s constantly evolving.

Yeah, I've heard that before. At my job, the big boss tells us that if we have an idea, we should tell him, and He'll fund it... but that's a lie, he'll raise you a little bit of money, and tell you to work on everything, and if the other project doesn't make any money back, you gotta pay for your raise up until that point. It's assanine, therefore, nobody does it. And yeah, I've been thinking about doing something on my own, but when I come home, instead of wanting to keep programming anything, I just want to lay down and read. Have you had this before?

I get it buddy, I had a mental breakdown last year when I couldn't find a job, and I'm thankful for the one I have, I just don't feel as inclined to research how to do things that are not required (right now, in my mind) for me to keep working.

Naah, people are often codescending of me, but it's always me feeling bad at myself, rather than at them. If anything, my asperger makes more self-centered, and I usually don't care, but today it was really weird to feel like an outcast for something I didn't even know I was supposed to know.

I understand that, I've been working here for 11 months, and not once did I had to change permits of folders directly from the console. (again, I did my research and did it anyways). I've been through College, thanks a lot, it's faster where I live, but more intense as well. I don't want to "beat" anyone, I just don't get why is it weird for me to just do what I need to do for my job, and not too much else. Not every programmer has to be a Master Programmer, right?

thanks for the responses by the way. I'm surprised I haven't had a "shut up faggot" already.

Attached: 1538675772211.png (221x325, 30K)

It's a competitive field, growing more and more competitive as it becomes common knowledge even in 3rd world countries. It's one of those things where you're setting yourself up for failure if you aren't really into it.

I'm the same way. Got tired of competing with spergy engineers who unironically code CRUD business apps as a hobby , and got into QA. Now I just tell developers that their shit is fucked and interact with clients, gaining people skills that'll actually still be valuable as the expectations for engineers continue to grow exponentially and force out the brainlets like myself.

oof, I actually do something similar. I'm the only fucker that knows how to speak english in my team, therefore, I, by deffense mechanisms or something, have become an expert in dealing with clients, and I plan to, at some point, just mange clients and tell the developers the client's specifications. I believe I can do it, but I don't know if it's the right thing to do right now, but I plan on it.

Attached: 8dgyqoilhk501.jpg (357x549, 26K)

IT is evolving constantly, the job requirements are evolving constantly. If you don't want to evolve,well, when they'll realize that you're too static, they might find someone else who is dynamic,can keep up,etc...
You're not a brickmaker or taximan, you're in a VERY ACTIVE field! (even these 2 will have to evolve very soon)

Fuck you user I want your job and you don't even work hard

Oh no, the future of the internet is all sperg tween trannies...God help us.

I can relate a lot, I was a web developer and I also hated this idea that you have to "live to program". WHAT OTHER FUCKING JOB REQUIRES YOU TO WORK IN YOUR SPARE TIME FOR FREE? It's fucking ABSURD.

As for file permissions / folder permissions, I assume she means this shit, pic related. These different flags determine who can read and/or write to the file / folder in question.

I have no idea how you change them either - I've done it before but can't remember. Just google "change folder permissions" and something on StackExchange is sure to come up. By the way if you use "ls -lah" in bash (or it probably works in zsh and other shells) it shows you these permissions. So I'm assuming you're using Mac or Linux. Or Windows Subsystem for Linux. In fact you only need "ls -l" to show the permissions, but adding the "a" shows you hidden files too (e.g. ".gitignore") and the "h" makes the file sizes much more readable, showing them as kilobytes / megabytes / whatever instead of just bytes. So I just use "ls -lah" as a matter of habit.

OR maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree - since you're talking about front-end stuff on a server, it could simply be checking that you're not exposing certain directories on your server, or within your back-end framework (Rails, Django, whatever). Basically you want to make sure that only the files you want to be accessible on the internet actually are. Don't expose files that you don't want users to see. In Rails, from what I remember, it's pretty easy to set it up so that it only serves the files you want. If a user tries to access a file they shouldn't, it gives them an error.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06-26 at 10.30.21.png (830x482, 437K)

Former web developer here (in fact, this guy: )

My suggestion to you is that you fucking kill yourself right now

Work harder then fuckface

You're both wrong. Sure, the people who are hobbyists are visible on Github and wherever. But there are TONS, TONS of people in IT who just do the 9-5 and then go home to live their lives. Think about sysadmins and shit, do you think they're setting up servers in their free time? Definitely not on the same scale as they would be at work. Do you think sales people go home from work and sell other shit in their free time? Not if they've already got a pretty comfy job, no.

My suggestion to both of you is that you kill yourselves.

>You're not a brickmaker or taximan, you're in a VERY ACTIVE field!
Only because many people working in it are neurotic sons'a bitches with no lives or who can't stand reading documentation so they constantly feel the need to reinvent the wheel and lie to their supervisors with their "these new developments are totally necessary for moving forward and streamlining optimizing quantifying buzzwordifiying our top dollar (lol) business!!!!!1" bullshit. On top of this, many supervisors are indolent as fuck these days, so they don't feel the need to teach or demonstrate anything to anyone.

>WHAT OTHER FUCKING JOB REQUIRES YOU TO WORK IN YOUR SPARE TIME FOR FREE? It's fucking ABSURD.
A ton of jobs do. Basically anything in marketing or management requires that you network extensively and constantly. The people who successfully climb the corporate ladder in those departments are typically the ones who actually do live for their jobs and see no point in life otherwise. They usually only have things like families and nice homes because it's part of the networking process. At any rate, this is definitely not exclusive to web development / IT.

Front end web dev isnt programming. You are just doing styling. I bet you complained that you would never have a use for calculus in school too.
How have you never had to deal with permissions when you work with servers all day for a living? Literally just right click and view the properties of the folder.

Are you guys serious about permissions? I learned how to do that when I was twelve. Why are programmers so cocky?

He isnt a programmer he is a web developer. Most complicated thing he probably has ever coded is a dropdown menu.