What is free will? Does it even exist? Why?

What is free will? Does it even exist? Why?

Christian answers especially appreciated.

Attached: index.jpg (275x183, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xCwY36a19aQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Google it

>What is free will?
the ability to drink that last beer even though you just threw up in your mouth.
>Does it even exist?
obviously.
>Why?
purification.

Wow thanks for the advice
>obviously
why?

Christian here

Yes it exists but it is polluted by our concept of time. God exists outside of time, and therefore so does free will.

Imo its like God is free will itself embodied, and our earthly bodies and minds are like receptors or antennae that can pick up his signal, but usually only for a flicker or a flash of a moment.

Think of free will almost like a wave, a wave requires a medium and we are mediums perfectly crafted by god to pick up that free will wavelength. Over the years they have been reverse engineering it to make is blind to it and more frequently controlled by compulsive and impulsive desires

Attached: 1554263405267.png (500x458, 312K)

Interesting take. Thanks.
The reason I'm asking this is I can't really get around the issue of predestination. No matter if free will exists or not, or even if God chooses to be aware of humans choices or not, it still seems like predestination is inevitable.

>What is free will?
A violation of causation.
>Does it even exist?
No.
>Why?
Cause and effect. The cause isn't always material though; some of it emanates from the spiritual. There is still a determinism involved.
>Christian answers especially appreciated.
So basically you don't want an answer.

Yes this was one of my many hangups in my agnostic days. You cant really argue it because you can just keep saying everything is predetermined on every level.

I think hes bored of knowing the end of every story and the punchline to every joke so he made a never ending one. I think the broad strokes so to speak are predetermined, like the scaffolding in a building. And its up to us to fill in the rest, like being a good evil. They say the devils in the details after all

Also bless you user and have a nice mr.mustache day + easter

Attached: 1555718795962.jpg (740x1235, 269K)

This. But your doctrine is still compatible with Christianity.

The Case for Free Will
youtube.com/watch?v=xCwY36a19aQ

I don't think so, unless Christians are willing to except that God is responsible for every thing man has done, no matter how evil.

God’s not responsible for evil. Since God is perfection anything He creates unique from Him must be imperfect.

>HURPH DURPH IT VIOLATES
LOL. You realise thats more retarded than m saying IT VIOLATES JEBUS!!

The larpers opinions are always so worthless. Always copied from someone slightly less retarded than them. You literally gave up your ability to think freely and now regurgitate someone elses bullshit about how we are all reguritating someone elses bullshit. You realize how stupid you sound acting so confident about something so complicated? No? Ok, carry on acting out your programming

Attached: 1544876516488.jpg (640x960, 73K)

Its all memes my man. Not funny pictures, but the objectified dna of the soul memes. Everything you do, what you asipire to be, what you believe is correct or incorrect, good or bad, what you respect; all is determined by your matrix of memes, or your "soul". This is meme warfare. Its a huge proxy battle, and the battleground is our minds. A fight for your soul. A fight of memes.

You need the illusion of it to perform in life.

There must be an 'evil' particle. Maybe CERN should look for it

>What is free will?
Freedom to think freely, to examine things, freedom to get out of the cave and see the light.
>Does it even exist?
Yes it does otherwise your are like a clockwork moving in one direction. Never questioning why is this direction here in the first place?
>Why?
because this is how the world is made

Einstein did fine without it.

Attached: 7C07D0B1-1984-43FD-B757-BD42BBC9DCD0.jpg (850x400, 73K)

>God’s not responsible for evil.
Then who/what is?
>Since God is perfection anything He creates unique from Him must be imperfect.
Personally, I think we live in the mind of God, or that we are some manifestation of a part of him. I don't think anything can be truly separate or unique from him if he is omnipresent and omnipotent/scient. I don't think what he creates is "imperfect" per se, more like incomplete if you don't consider the whole (Him).
Shut the fuck up, redditor.

Jesus is the original meme which is why kikes hate him

Free will is the necessary precondition for choosing good rather than evil. Being Christian is about choosing to believe on Christ and then follow him. Christ is the Word, and that Word is the Logos which is God. Aligning yourself with the TRUTH is something you must choose to do. Choose to reject lies, reject the evils of this world, choose to do good, choose to speak truth, choose to spread the Word of God, choose to preach Christ crucified for the sins of the whole world. You cannot do this if you have no free will. There is no goodness if you cannot make a choice.

>There is no goodness if you cannot make a choice.
What a stupid assertion.

Free will exists.
You're here to learn something. You can use your free will to learn about it or build castles out of gravel. Totally up to you. God wants it that way.
God wants you to follow him and his path for you of your own free will, by your own choice and consent. If you want to tie yourself down, God says you have a right to do that. If you want to damn yourself irrevocably, that must be something that is available to people who accept ir of their own choice and consent.
It is a natural law of the universe. Do you truly think you came to be here and now in this moment reading this post because it was pre-ordained thousands of years before your birth?
Thoughts are a form of energy. The specifics of our timeline diverge thousands of times in thousands of ways based upon the energy directed by people here on earth every day. Just because every timeline happens is no excuse to avoid manifesting your reality and being lazy, however.
t. Catholic.

free will does not exist
while it may seem like you have the ability to choose, there in lies the snag. because human perception is quite limited, we think we have a ton of choices. say you go to the grocery store. it would certainly seem like you have all the choices you could ask for. but in reality, you are limited to what that grocery store has to offer. the same holds true for life. while life may seem like it has infinite permutations, there is in fact a numerical value on the amount of options you have sumly available to you. granted the number is huge and would likely take an incredible effort to calculate total, but there is certainly a limit. although you jump off a cliff and try to fly, you cannot as much as you have the "free will" to decide to make the leap and believe you can fly in the first place.
because this limit exists, no matter how large it may be, free will does not exist.

We have free will because we make independent choices moment by moment, but God isn't bound to the 3D "present" and therefore sees the entire continuum of presents that have ever occurred, are occurring, or will occur.

Imagine each star represents us moving through our lives. As 3D beings, we see the starts move across the sky. We can use a camera to transcend our temporal limitations and capture what a 4D image of the same thing would look like. Pic related.

God knows our past, present and futures. So even though we are making choices with free will moment by moment, there is still an element of determinism because God sees it all before we make it happen.

Attached: startrails.jpg (2474x1653, 619K)

I think about this literally every single day and constantly flip back and forth whether I believe it exists or not.

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters because either I freely came to God and am saved, or I was predestined to be chosen by God to be saved. Either way, I'm saved.

Attached: Savior.jpg (531x710, 290K)

What a stupid poster.

>no u

well look at it this way, your brain is pretty limited on what it can even understand or be conscious of. the sensory input data you get is pretty narrow. and thats what you use to build your model of reality in your head which is where your intelligence and your internal consciousness and decision making happens..

so as far as decision making, you have options, and among the options yes you are free to choose which one you want. however you arent free to be totally original or to step outside of those narrow bounds.

its kind of like buying a car. no one is telling you there is any car you cant buy. but there are a finite number of brands out there. and only so many models are actually going to be practical options for you. so given your life circumstances, although you are free to make any choice you want, there are only really a few possible choices you will take in any given situation and objectively among those, there is only one best choice for each which you are free to choose or not choose.

look at the us elections. you have the freedom to vote, but you dont vote in a vacuum, you vote in the world where almost everyone else is gonna pick rep or dem. you can vote for anyone you want, but really, its probably best to vote for one of those 2. on top of that, although we call it a democratic election, we found out in 2016 that the dems at least dont pick their candidate democratically. so yes you are totally free to choose who you want between these 2 options. not 350 million, ... 2 options. thats how free will works.

Someone post le demurge comic

The story of Adam and Eve illustrates that humans had a choice to follow or stray away from God since the beginning. Some Christians believe in predestination, but that would mean everything you do is predetermined. If you stray from God it's because God planned it. If you follow God it's because God planned it. I personally believe God really did create us in his image and this would include free will.

Traditional Catholics believe in predestination.

This, free will does exist but God also knows every outcome.

>free will does exist
Not really. At least not in the modern sense. Free will used to mean something very different from violating causality.

The ability to go fishing and go to a ProBass shop on a Sunday, blowing off church with the missus.

Free will does exist biblically speaking unless you’re a Calvinist. Then naw

Also fuck yeah this point. Doesn’t matter at that point, is just semantics.

Saved is saved, happy Good Friday

>Free will does exist biblically speaking
The complete opposite is true.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 Everything that happens in this world happens at the time God chooses.
Lamentations 3:37-38 Who has spoken and it came to pass, unless the Lord has ordained it? Do not both adversity and good come from the mouth of the Most High?…
Proverbs 16:9 The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.
Proverbs 20:24 A man’s steps are from the Lord; how then can man understand his way?
Proverbs 16:33: The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.
Proverbs 19:21: Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.
Jeremiah 10:23: I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.
Romans 8:29 — “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”
Ephesians 1:5 — “Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,”
Romans 8:29 — “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”
I Peter 1:2 — “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.”

Romans 8:28–30: We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren. And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.
Ephesians 1:11 In [Christ] we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will

Can free will be existed in a perfectly built computer emulated brain?

No, because real brains don’t have it.

We are all a piece of God, collectively dreaming this dream we call the universe.

None of those disprove free will. Most are simply talking about the manner in which a person is saved.

Also to your point if yes, then you’re a Calvinist and disagree that someone can lose salvation. If true then no matter what a “saved person” does they can’t lose it. Unless you’re saying a saved person would never do that (commit sin essentially and not repent) in which case, show me said saved Person.

Another post said God is outside time and therefore knows who is and isn’t saved which support the idea that one has free will to reject God (if chosen by God or if you believe in choosing God rather).

Proverbs 16:9 especially makes it fairly clear that man makes his own plan and if it’s God’s will then God will guide and assist his steps, not control where said steps are.

However, gonna day that I do believe God can and does intervene in our lives to assist with salvation

Also those don’t sound like King James, all else in English is bullshit

You need to look into John Duns Scotus' account of free will. I think you'll find a proof of it consistent with Christian teachings.

Attached: 1_8CouXaiuT_f17GcyZvIeIw.png (583x1127, 886K)

Maybe true.
But it doesn't mean the programmer of the brain planned everything how the software brain think.