Personal Finance

Hello Faggots,

I need to decide to buy a car or an apartment, here are some financial details:

I currently acquired a good job, it pays 82k salary, twice per month. After taxes I get about 2440 per check. My bank statement says I have 2700 in the bank.

I owe 600 for last months credit card bill. maybe 50 for this months so far.

I am in a hotel, it is 325 per week with no stove, i've been eating terribly because no stove, gained a lot of fat weight, i pay about 100-200 dollars a week for takeout (BK, pizza joint, MCD, Dunkin, etc), In addition feel/look like shit due to the garbage food availabel to me (i prefer avacado kale shakes and grilled chicken to the disgusting whopper burgers and pizzas)

I uber back and forth work and the total cost per week is about 80 dollars per week

Should I buy a car first, or an apartment? If I buy the car I'll save on Uber and have a hot car. but If I buy an apartment I will still need to uber, to pay for internet, buy a bed, possibly pay back my debt on the utilities company (500~?)

What would you do? stay in the motel and get the car, then wait for 2 more checks before getting your own place, or get your own place, start eating right, and keep ubering to work for a few weeks?

Car is 3800OBO, apartment is going to be first+last+security (2-3 grand in my region)

Advice please

PS i'm leaving towards the car.

Attached: bert.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Leaning towards the car***

some side options to consider:
1/ getting an apartment with util included
2/ not getting that civic on that super good deal but some junk box for half the price that will get my laughed at

Get a nice camper/ van for about 3-4k. Rent a little lot with utility hookups. take time before sinking in a lease

Buy an old, certified preowned Kia or Honda with under 80k miles. Look to spend under 4k. The shittier and more modest the better. Buy it cash.

Congratulations, now you can get to and from work while you get your shit together.

Now find an apartment. A studio is fine. A shitty neighborhood is fine. You need a bedroom, a toilet, a shower, and a stove with a cook top. Thats literally it.

Once you have those two things in line you can work on unfucking your budget. The car comes first, however, because it allows you to apartment search in a larger radius.

OP here, i'm also trying to get a hot gf to fuck, so renting a trailer or driving a 1980s VW Golf (unfortunately) is out of the question....

Maybe you should get you shit together before getting a gf retard. If you can't afford to get a place with the expenses you'll be paying for the car, then get a cheaper car.

OP here couldnt I just buy the car I want at a good price, wait a month then get the apartment, wait a few weeks THEN get the GF? I mean come on, at least this way I'm not stuck with a 500 dollar rust box on week 6 and no gf, vs waiting for week 8 with a modest/decent vehicle and a nice place? 2 weeks of jerking off never killed anyone iinm

I really hope i'm not killing my own thread with this

Get a cheap used car with a small down payment and also get an apartment, if it costs more than you have it's okay to have some debt if you're going to get a big salary. Btw how the hell are your taxes so high?

living in USA baby, gross 3500 per check, net =

Stop doing shit with the intention of getting a gf. A cheaper car doesn't mean a 500 dollar rust box. I snagged a low miles Miata for 2800 just a few months ago. And having a nicer car doesn't guarantee a gf. So far I've had more gf's driving a beat to shit Saturn then with the Miata, and none of them cared about what car I drove.

Apartment first. And if your credit is any good you shouldnt have much of an issue getting a loan for a car. You don't need new. Get a certified beater from a reputable dealer. The car will run fine for what you need while you save more. If you want a fancier car later it shouldn't be an issue with your salary.
The amount you have in your bank account despite your situation speaks volumes to your financial ability. You'll be fine.
But yeah, apartment first absolutely but not much reason you can't get a car in short order as well. Just pay the minimum on your credit card for now. That's not a huge burdensome balance.

Why not just get a car first and buy one of those portable mini-stoves so you can eat better? I would advise against the apartment first
>rent
>electricity
>water
>trash
>internet
You're easily looking at more than $1000 USD per month for a place that's not in a real shithole. Where a car, you can get buy on paying less than $500/month

The hotel is costing him approx $1350 a month. $1675 on a month where his weekly payment lands over 5 weeks.

>I really hope i'm not killing my own thread with this

that would be done with I'd lean towards a place, most girls will not want to fuck in a nice car.

OP where do you live? I'm in CA and I can get an apartment (with included utilities iirc) for like 500-600 a month if I keep my eye out. If I were you I'd go for a car first and probably wouldn't spend more than 3k at most. There's plenty of cars to get the job done for that much. I also wouldn't recommend taking out a loan for a car, especially a used one. Paying off what could amount to a beater doesn't ever sound worth it imo.

OP here

1. Why is everyone suggesting I go into debt for immediate comforts?
2. To the people suggesting the apartment first, are you considering if I like in rural/urban/suburban environment, and would it change your opinion? Consider i would need to buy furnishings (bed, frame) and utilities (inet, possibly gas/elec) and it would be a bigger initla hit to the dollars account?

I would never ever in my life lease a car, it's just a matter of principal. Unless I was driving 200 miles a day for my work (consultant?) i would never. My father paid cashfor all his cars, except that one time my mom convinced him to lease one for her, but his father bought his cars with cash, and his father before him bought his cars with cash, and his father bought his horses and house with cash, and HIS father bought his slaves with cash. We're a cash family.

3. about the GF thing, i was sort of joking, but one a serious note, don't you think i stand a better chance of keeping her if she picks the curtains/drapes so that she has somewhat of an investment in the whole thing and is less eager to bail out? instead of her thinking "hey this dude got an ugly ass house and no car imma go fuck Chad the real estate agent" I mean, excuse my cheap platitudes, but this is kind of the lines along which I'm thinking.

I'm ont he oposite side of the country, somewhere between NY and Boston along i95. sure, i could find a studio for 500 a month but it would be in the ghetto, and i'm trying to move away from the ghetto, i'm the kind of dude who amplifies other peoples bad ideas, and i get in nothing but trouble in ghettos.
You're definitely smart though about not taking out a loan for a car, i don't understand why anyone would think that's a good idea, unless they drive for a living, but i digress. I jsut hae driven so many

>3. the girlfriend would rather link up with me (a catch) and help decorate my new apartment that she helpes me choose (now she's personally invested) vs, 'ay dis broke nibba got a ugly house and no car lol imma go fuck chad'\
What

>be me (OP)
>meet new girl who i'm attracted to
>hey user you're pretty cute can i see your car?
>show her my discrete but >3000 car
>wow user your car is so hot, can i see your bedroom
>wow stacy, i am trying to piece my life back together but i'm looking at these apartments, want to see?
>sure user, wow i really like this one, it has a nice kitchen :3
>ok, i think i like it too *buys apt*
>user do u want help decorating your new apartment? maybe i can sleep with you too?

i mean come on, it's not that complex... Am i missing something?

None of this shit happens in reality faggot. Most women don't fuck men for their cars and the ones that do aren't going to fuck you, and you shouldn't want to be with them. Some new gf isn't supposed to help you get your life together, it should already be more or less together. Don't get a gf to fucking help you find a place to live you autist.

If the only thing you want women to notice about you is your shitty car and lack of housing then you've got other issues to worry about.

If you can get the apartment for less than 1300 a month, then go for the apartment. But Idealy you should pay off your credit card first. before you make the choice of a car or apartment.

Well then you're retarded, capitalism is all about borrowing money when it will help you. He's just trying to teach morons not to spend money they don't have on stupid shit, having a tiny amount of interest building up on a cheap car you need to go to work so you can live in an apartment like a human being is fine. If you keep following this approach you'll be paying several times more than the average mortgage in rent and you'll have nothing to show for it, ever.

Wow amazing you know a boomer who grew up in a time when everyone had money to burn and everything was cheap and you think the principles of that time apply to you, also you're apparently fine with paying out the ass for rent but leasing a car and paying a few hundred a month for the depreciation plus a small upcharge while you amass some wealth is unthinkable.

>you should immediately deal with a long term problem everyone has so you can save your future self a tiny amount of money instead of investing in essentials that let you live like a human being rather than an unemployable retard

Attached: 1561764030624.png (1062x942, 301K)

Are you fucking retarded?

Are you? Do you even know what debt it?

No shit i know what it is. OP says he owes 650 bucks, how the fuck is that a long term problem? He can easily pay off that tiny amount and find a cheap apartment and start saving for a car. Why wouldn't you want to immediately get rid of debt? Why would you ever want to take on debt when you don't need to?

Because the interest amounts to almost nothing, even if he waits a whole year it's less than $100. He needs his money right now to not live like a hobo, it's important to have transportation and to be mentally and physically healthy. Being obsessed about never being in debt while you live in your own shit is retarded.

OP isn't living in shit though. He can afford to get rid of his tiny debt and get a car and have an apartment. While I agree he should get a car first, getting rid of debt is just getting rid of another monthly bill and therefore more money saved overall

He's going to have the same bill next month, a credit card bill is just where all the things you pay for go. The reason credit cards exist is so you can pay for things when you need to and deal with it when it better fits you, hence why I think you don't know what debt is.