The Space Elevator is the Only Political Issue That Matters

It is already possible to build a space elevator. The key idea is the Orbital Ring version of the space elevator, not the geosynchronous tether concept you are familiar with.

See, for example, Paul Birch's writings:

orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-I.pdf

There are many other feasible ways for us to get to space much more cheaply and safely than rockets:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_loop

youtube.com/watch?v=J1MAg0UAAHg

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_driver

youtube.com/watch?v=KerG4ILWEa4

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_fountain

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_gun

You get the idea. Any of these could be done for $100 billion or less, a negligible cost when considering a GDP of trillions of dollars.

Why do something like this? Overnight, asteroid mining becomes an incredibly profitable industry. Because the cost of delivering payloads to LEO drops from thousands of dollars per kilogram to less than $100 (potentially less than $1) we can now retrieve asteroids with trillions of dollars worth of minerals for mere tens millions of dollars in addition to having an easy viable way of returning those resources back to the surface. We acquire the ability to deploy profitable solar power in orbit above cloud cover and with the ability to return said power back to the surface with near zero loss by running power transmission cables down the elevator.

(Continued)

Attached: 396351984.jpg (1024x594, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/ThunderboltsProject/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=LMbI6sk-62E
orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-II.pdf
techcrunch.com/2015/07/09/the-potential-100-trillion-market-for-space-mining/
nytimes.com/1987/06/14/world/soviet-studies-satellites-to-convert-solar-energy-for-relay-to-earth.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_(rocket)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just how profitable?

With increased luminosity in space, enhanced exposure time, and the ability to deliver base loads, solar panels pay for themselves in only 1-2 years while having a 20 year life time. In other words, if you put $5 trillion of solar panels into space, you get your $5 trillion back by the end of year two and a $5 trillion income stream each year thereafter. In other words, the US could cut everyone's taxes, both personal and business, income, capital, death, or otherwise, all to 0%, not even cut any benefits or current spending, and pay off the national debt within a decade.

If your politician isn't talking about this, he is stupid or controlled opposition.

Attached: 6810421.jpg (800x500, 83K)

You play too many videogames, and consume too much Jewish culture in general.
Stick to what you're good at; sucking cocks.

Absolute fantasy, considering the electrical nature of the universe. * Cost and material problems are irrelevant -- if it was built it would just act as a giant lightning rod.

* youtube.com/user/ThunderboltsProject/videos

Not Jow Forums related btw. Try

Perhaps you aren't familiar with how lightning rods work. When they get hit with an electrical charge, they transmit the charge down the rod to a safe place. The rod itself isn't destroyed.

There is no material both strong enough and light enough to build the required tether. Space elevators are impossible.

Could you explain what you mean by

>Absolute fantasy, considering the electrical nature of the universe.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Mossad would blow it up, can't have actual progress going on

Just in time for someone to scream Allahu Akbar and blow it, so it falls on us

I believe you are thinking of pic related. I am talking about the orbital ring design for a space elevator, proposed by Paul Birch (previous pics related). This video might help you understand the idea.

youtube.com/watch?v=LMbI6sk-62E

Attached: 842810121.png (258x599, 30K)

You both came in fast saying similar things. It can be protected from terrorism the same way we protect things like airline traffic. Airplanes are already a nice target for terrorism, yet they fly thousands of times per day with virtually no major terrorist incidents.

we can do it but we need to holocaust all the non-Jews in Israel first real quick
will you h-help us desu?

Attached: pop.jpg (1000x2083, 1.62M)

We don't support race wars, holocausts, ethnic cleansing, or anything of the sort.

>2 space elevator threads in one month

Doing God's work OP

Attached: 1533564189641m.jpg (1024x576, 30K)

Bump.

Soon, you will see them every day.

You're not THE space ev right?

I can't fucking listen to this guys voice without laughing at how ridiculous he sounds. It's like listening to Elmer Fudd talking about rockets

Attached: 1126.gif (389x259, 992K)

I'm extremely grateful for all your previous threads on the subject. They saved me from becoming too blackpilled.

There are several of us.

So thats a no? Or was it always a group?

I love the idea of orbital ring and slingshot
But I think we would need a massive asteroid mining industry before to even get the materials

Once you learn that there are ways out of the darkness, and begin to light the way out, you are truly free from their control.

HOLY SHIT, THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK.

It's cheaper to build the ring first and then begin mining asteroids.

You are welcome.

We don't have a material that could support the cable weight for a terrestial space elevator; even carbon nanotubes wouldn't cut it if we could mass produce them cheaply and reliably.

The best solution would be a mass driver using a reusable SSTO delivery system, but people couldn't use it since the g-force would kill them.

The best option would be to build a moon base, develop it into a construction yard and ship materials back and forth using mass drivers between here and there. The gravity on the moon is relatively negligible and we could easily build a space elevator there using steel cables and/or carbon fibers.

>can't maintain roads
>gonna build space elevator
sounds like a plan to me desu

What is this astroid mining?

See:
I don't even doubt it's possible. But we can't even rebuild Notre Dame. We can't build in the beautiful artistic styles people put into architecture centuries ago. We build cheap ugly shit that is only profitable in the immediate moment. You're insane if you think we'll be able to build a space elevator before massive societal change.

On this note, where would the US source the steel to build the Space Elevator? Can the US ramp up domestic production to meet the demand?

You're probably thinking of a different design that relies on a very long tether. The orbital ring design does not use such a long tether, so it can be built with materials that we have had for decades, such as kevlar. I've posted some images, papers, and video that explain the difference, but you can ask any questions you have.

Building a moon base first using rockets would be far more expensive than building an orbital ring first, then using the ability to send payloads to the moan at 1/1000th of the cost to build a moon base.

Nope only time for gender and race politics now honk honk

Attached: 1550170857668.gif (511x512, 105K)

>What is this astroid mining?
A good way to pay off the national debt in under 10 years.

techcrunch.com/2015/07/09/the-potential-100-trillion-market-for-space-mining/

Attached: 95812042.jpg (1483x943, 974K)

The o-ring wouldn't work.
The drag and tidal forces would rip that shit apart. We'd need to develop a material stronger than carbon spider silk.

These megaengineering projects are fun to think about, but they require Type 1 K civilizations and we're not there yet.

What you're saying is it needs to come from the private sector

This is yard talk. The only way forward is to reduce the mass of the earth by blasting Africa into the oort cloud thus reducing gravitational drag on our rockets.

I've missed you.

You have the cause and effect reversed. The building of cathedrals such as Notre Dame is what set off the renaissance, humanism, and later the industrial revolution. The organization, gathering and training of skilled workers, and planting the idea in people's minds that they could be more than peasants.

Yes, the US has plenty of raw materials to build enough steel for an orbital ring.

Paul Birch addresses several of these things in his papers. It could easily withstand a category 5 hurricane without failure.

>One gravitational wave, annnnnnnnnd it’s gone.

Attached: 42944F79-AA67-4640-B525-BB234406BF06.jpg (500x524, 51K)

Having private firms contract to do the construction work is a good idea. However, a private firm working on their own cannot protect a space elevator from threats by other nations.

see:
>SpaceX
>Domino's

>One gravitational wave, annnnnnnnnd it’s gone.
What on earth are you trying to say?

I said it

What's to stop a terrorist group from hitting one of the pillars and wiping out a city when it falls
Been more than a few sci-fi novels with that plot

Unless lucky Larry needs to claim another ten gorillion shekel insurance

If the Soviet Union hadn't been destroyed, we would already have advanced orbital infrastructure.

nytimes.com/1987/06/14/world/soviet-studies-satellites-to-convert-solar-energy-for-relay-to-earth.html

Attached: soyuz.gif (2659x3900, 1.16M)

>Devaluing the petrol dollar will save the economy. Take your meds AOC.

Attached: 1555077367998.jpg (840x473, 66K)

The tethers won't be near major cities for exactly this reason. They will be sheathed in armor within a few years of construction. Security measures will protect it from things like bombs.

It's important to know that most terrorism is synthetic. Sponsored by the target nation to justify a response.

Trillions of dollars in new economic production is precisely how you save an economy. The petrodollar is precisely why it is failing.

You forgot your punctuation

What about re-educating peaceful superstitious people and fighting those who try to impose Sharia if necessary?

Religion is a barrier to material progress. The Soviets, who were working on exactly the kind of orbiting solar power system you propose, understood this.

The US took the wrong side in the Afghan-Soviet War, and set human progress back half a century.

Attached: main_900.jpg (900x580, 104K)

>first day of construction
>pic related

Attached: 76A1DAA5-BEEA-4776-A5BF-68F65D7EEE79.jpg (494x329, 29K)

Sorry
>I said it :)

I'll look into it. I'm not against this kinda stuff, we could use a sort of mega project to lift our spirits up.

>Waaaa, me incapable of looking to the future because me not so smart and me say space gay cuz me don't want see smart people go beyond me.
Fuck off, we need to look to the cosmos for our solutions or else we will forever remain here in the dirt, never to advance and only to devolve.

Attached: 1554753034254.jpg (485x452, 50K)

Attached: idpol.png (1000x1000, 235K)

Is there any feasible plans to build this orbital ring without the outlay of trillions?

You just cant overcome peoples skepticism if not

bassed

>It is already possible to build a space elevator.
no it's not, and if it were then lightning would destroy it.

Plus Ultra user lives!

Might be a good way to jumpstart it though.

>What about re-educating peaceful superstitious people and fighting those who try to impose Sharia if necessary?
Educating people not to be backward and superstitious is good, but we don't anything like invading their countries to enforce this. Tolerance is best spread by example.

>The US took the wrong side in the Afghan-Soviet War, and set human progress back half a century.
These are good observations. The reality goes somewhat deeper. A small group was controlling both sides of the Cold War. The same group took down the Soviet Union under Bush, and promised economic development in return, but never delivered. Putin arose in reaction to the treachery.

100 billion wont even remotely cover the cost. You still high from the 20th?

No. The Black Death lowered Europe's population to the point where labor was expensive, incentivizing machine production, automation, and eventually industrialization.

Ancient Greece had organization, advanced mechanics, steam engines, etc but never applied these tools to industry because they had a ready supply of slaves.

China had organization and mass construction on an even larger scale, but also didn't industrialize until very recently precisely because it could throw bodies at every problem.

Cheap labor is the enemy of human progress.

Attached: dino.jpg (1600x839, 405K)

>Is there any feasible plans to build this orbital ring without the outlay of trillions?
Yes. Paul Birch's papers have cost estimates of tens of billions of dollars. They're old, but within the ball park.

>ITT

Attached: FCE6ABBC-59DB-41F8-B487-E4D872CE43CA.jpg (429x600, 56K)

It's pretty trivial to put a lightning rod on it. Tall building get struck by lightning pretty regularly without being destroyed.

talk of space elevator makes me sad reminding of the good old days

Tried it already, and God smote us and made everyone not speak American.

>100 billion wont even remotely cover the cost.
What parts of Birch's cost estimates do you disagree with?

But tall buildings don’t extend past the ground state. Static buildup would overload everything if you couldn’t dissipate it. A space elevator would cause lightning, a lot.

kek that was a LADDER man. You think our lazy asses are going to WALK these dats

First of all I dont need to read a cost estimate to know it's wrong. Where the fuck you getting enough material to build a orbital ring let alone the labor for 100 billion? That's also ignoring the cost to get it into orbit.

Btw I fully support a space elevator and it would be awesome to see in my lifetime but it's too much money for anyone to raise

Way to make your picture unreadable fuckwad.

>the US could cut everyone's taxes
But they wouldn't and would keep getting taxes too

Can't build the orbital ring without a decent rail gun to get the goods up there.

You can already do this yourself, just use a normal elevator and a VR headset... you don't even need the elevator really.

Why does Birch's ring design not require a super strong material for the tethers? That is what is holding us back from an engineering standpoint at the moment.

Continuously inhabited space stations, GPS, universal access to GIS data and efficient real time direction path routing algorithms, widely available intercontinental flights for less than a day's wage, etc aerospace advancements were science fiction until recently.

We are still coasting on the gains made in WWII an the Cold War, but boosting levels of R&D funding in aerospace back to wartime levels relative to GDP could get us some pretty amazing tech, especially if there was some real tangible goal in mind besides pork projects for every congressional district.

Now, maybe the US won't do it. If China keeps growing at anything close to their current rates it seems like they would be interested.

Again, its a real shame the Soviets didn't hold out a few more years. The oil price stabilization during most of the 90s, and rising prices in the 00s, along with advances in computing power (ideal for running a planned economy) would have easily helped them overcome their 1980s slowdown.

Attached: buran.jpg (2692x1673, 826K)

Unnecessary when the west itself is imploding. Space is something that will have to wait for future generations if/when things on earth are sorted out. Webm related isn't going to conquor the stars.

Also while elmer fudd's vids are recomended from a science and engineering standpoint, his understanding of demographics and human social interaction is laughable.

Attached: LA.webm (480x360, 2.98M)

>Where the fuck you getting enough material to build a orbital ring let alone the labor for 100 billion?

We spent $700 billion for the military. There's plenty of room in the budget to build a space elevator.

You don't re-build your culture by turning inward and backward. Giving people hope and a common mission is the best cure to the degenerating culture.

I'm not saying we cant spend the money. Im saying it will be significantly more then 100 billion. I mean for fucks sake the issue has cost over 150 billion. But we are going to build an orbital ring over 25,000 miles in circumference for 100 billion? So $40,000 a mile? This isnt a fence at the Mexican border. It's a structure in earth's orbit

A space elevator would alter earths electromagnetic shielding. And then there’s micrometeorites, space debris, pressure differentials, static buildup.
To many variables. Science fiction is fun though..
Let’s make replicators first.

Attached: EF47ADDB-AC5B-42A9-AA95-14CE0064C202.gif (208x156, 1.23M)

Even if it cost a trillion dollars, the costs are justified. It pays for itself thousands of times over.

HEROIC BUMP for non-identity politics garbage!

High Level Insider user makes a great case for space elevator: archaic of posts from his threads here : hli.anoninfo.net

God bless OP

We're all Mexicans now.

How?

I said you cant do it for 100 billion not that it's not justified. And 1 trillion is still way to low of an estimate

You dont give anyone hope by dumping a project that will bankrupt them onto of already existing social chaos. Even in that vid series space elevators and rings are the end goal with many lesser projects building up to them. You gotta get your house in order before you go out user.

Meteorites and space debris can be handled with lasers and shielding. Pressure differentials are solved by airlocks. Static buildup can be dissipated with a grounded wire. Replicators are a possibility, but you need a lot more energy than we currently generate.

You think the Chinese is going to fork over another $10 Trillion for this thing? Unlikely.

it's not just a matter of going up, it's the sideways acceleration required to maintain orbit. Like a dancer slowing down in a pirouette when putting her arms out

Hundreds of trillions of dollars form asteroid mining. Reducing the cost of energy by two orders of magnitude. 20% gdp growth for decades as a result. Defending earth from asteroid impacts.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon_(rocket)