Isnt it interesting how a car will often rust...

Isnt it interesting how a car will often rust, depreciate and develop expensive mechanical failure within a decade but a piece of equipment produced by the same manufacturing process and exposed to far more hostile environments can last half a century while still holding value. All while costing near the same

Weird how the only difference is one is equipment invested in by the capital class to make themselves more money and the other is simply a necessity for the serfs to travel to their employment.

Attached: img.jpg (1200x900, 344K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are you buying cars that cost as much as construction equipment? I doubt it if they are rusting up after one year.

This is covered in the last chapter of Van Vlack's "Engineering Materials" 1st edition.
Its done intentionally... for reasons.
You wouldn't spend more for a car that was made to outlast the period that it is in style. You'd have to have the latest's and greatest.. so why bother?

you are an idiot if you think there is no maintenance on construction equipment.

>same price
Someone has never been in the construction business..... those bitches can be more than a million dollars

The term is called "manufactured decline" it's apart of the business.

I build custom rippers for dozers and it takes about a week of use before it gets back to me for repairs. Hope your car doesn't go in that often

People that buy and use those machines spend a fortune in upkeep.

A Case 450C goes for about 10-15 k$, depending.

>buy a high end BMW
>the tranny explodes before it even gets a 100k miles
>replace the tranny for $15k
>try to sell the car because I'm sick of it
>it's worth 10% of what I paid new
>meanwhile a Toyota camry lasts 400k miles and barely loses any value
B-but I thought the expensive stuff was supposed to be more reliable????

New f250s deisles are getting close to 70k, you can definitely get a Case for that price unless you are buying a real monster. 40k for a new car could buy you a decent backhoe.

>what is getting what you pay for
>what is maintenance
People buy something and then don't take care of it. Every econobox has a recommended maintenance schedule that idiots stuff in the glovebox and forget about. On top of that, they don't treat the machines with respect and use them outside of their intended use cases and wonder why shit goes wrong. There's general ignorance when it comes to their cars as well. They don't know when something is going wrong and they certainly don't know how to fix it. They ignore it and when they take it to a mechanic the damage is already done.
Preventative care seems like a taboo when it comes to the health of cars and people.
Don't get me wrong, I know some things are pieces of shit that are doomed to fail but, most will last if you don't abuse them and actually take care of the upkeep.

Attached: 1555222234800.gif (600x371, 569K)

Why did the transmission explode exactly? Surely there was no way to prevent this.

And it's used.
Also, auto manufacture costs a lot due to all the safety bullshit they have to put in the fucking things. Heavy equipment and tractors have comparatively little engineering to road-legal mass-produced vehicles, meaning cars which should cost about $5000-$8000 cost triple that due to all the red tape they have to pass.

Euro performance cars are notorious for their fragile transmissions. Likley becuase so many are transaxle set ups.

Yeah, like trains, airplanes, trucks...

Blah blah car that can last forever but nobody could afford it.

>buy rich person car
>expect not to pay rich person maintenance costs

If you follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual pretty much every vehicle will go past 500k and if you take extra care of it it will hit A mil.

The point is you could afford it. A backhoe and a commuter truck cost the same, one will last 40 years pushing tons of snow in a salt filled parking lot all winter and moving rocks all summer for 8 hours a day the other will last maybe 10 before it becomes too faulty to maintain.

When you buy a BMW, you're paying for all that useless faggotry in the interior + auto worker pensions.

NEVER buy a car if it isn't a Toyota. Find one that is 5-7 years old with ~60k miles for max bang for your buck (greatest depreciation vs useful life remaining). Don't listen to soii bmw cucks who keep whining about LE BORING, don't listen to domestic migatards who keep buying their mexican pieces of shit: these people are going to spend fortunes on upkeep of their shitboxes which is going to cripple them financially. If it isn't a Toyota it's not a real car.

Attached: 535723257.jpg (750x562, 57K)

>Buys car famous for high maintenance costs
>Gets butthurt at said maintenance costs.

Which is why you buy a manual.
Like a man.

Yes. Also, isn't it interesting how the lightbulb my grandpa has in his attic was bought in the 60s or something while the ones I buy last maybe three months tops?

A backhoe is only kept in service because it makes money. Taxis go to over 400k miles now just because you are to cheap to maintain your vehicle doesn't mean they are shit

quality post senpai

Attached: binocular_guy.jpg (1080x1590, 706K)

I thought a 90s Toyota was the best deal. Was I lied to?

that light bulb would be like 50$ now you can buy nice lightbulbs for a cost

It's planned obsolescence you no-business-degree virgin

Yeah, but the technology and materials are like 1 cent, so if there weren't faggots running the show I could have bought it for 2 cents and had a lightbulb for 50 years.

>the tranny explodes before it even gets a 100k miles
>100k miles
Most construction machines never drive 1% of that distance, even over the course of decades of use.

They're transported between work sites on trucks, and just putter around at walking speeds. Of course they last longer than cars driving 70mph for tens of thousands of miles.

Cars spend a fuck ton of time on the road kicking up water into the undercarriage. Also you're supposed to keep the miles to a minimum on heavy equipment. You get out and walk before you walk a machine needlessly.

Skil-dozer?

There's no hardcore engineering in the backhoe and no expensive safety features and no fancy shit in the cab, etc.
A Caterpillar 415F2 costs about $70K, from last I gathered. That's a small piece of equipment too. Larger machines cost $100K+. That's GT-R territory for a fucking backhoe.
Construction and farm equipment is very expensive despite there not being much engineering involved. It's all weight and durability. Cars OTOH are build for safety, comfort, and speed, not durability. Except for Volvos and Saabs. Swedish Steel.

Unlike cars, Construction equipment is unconcerned with weight. Your car would not rust out if it was made of 1/2 inch steel plate.

You're a fucking moron. And you have proven that you don't work with your hands.

There isn't a man in your family.

Basically an analogy to why some people die at 50.

Modernism

>You wouldn't spend more for a car that was made to outlast the period that it is in style. You'd have to have the latest's and greatest.. so why bother?
you have no idea what i want, niggerfaggot

what is wrought iron versus composite metals and their weight difference
and before you ask yes I own a case
case is based

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-23-20-49-16.png (720x1280, 587K)

>You wouldn't spend more for a car that was made to outlast the period that it is in style. You'd have to have the latest's and greatest.. so why bother?
nigger i don't give a FUCK about style, it peaked in the 80's anyway

CARS AREN'T BUILT WITH INSANELY THICK STEEL AND PAINTED WITH PAINT THAT CAN NEARLY WITHSTAND A NUCLEAR BLAST.

But they should be.

>he's never been around heavy machinery in his entire life

it goes beyond that
make a standard sedan out of the same material that case excavator it made from
see what happens to your EVERYTHING
miles per gallon
chasis wear and tear
the fucking tires alone would be retarded

OP BTFO

A car is a fucking shell and an engine on a frame. Equipment doesn't have to move fast, is constructed with thick plate steel, and doesn't rely entirely on electronics.

Body exposed to the elements for almost 3 decades, parts might be hard to procure.

they would need bigger more complex everything to compensate for the weight

The Eastern Bloc ones were.

What about lexus?

based economy car driving rural and suburban retard

>case is based
They're cool. Allis-Chalmers was the GOAT though.

Attached: 1410579287397.gif (758x696, 102K)

Wrong and precisely why I bought a 30 year old truck. Even with the shit I had to replace/fix because it wasnt maintained well Im still at a fraction of what even a 10 year old vehicle would have cost me.

All cars look the same now though, for the last decade and probably for the foreseeable future due to regulations. I don't think style is problem anymore.

fuck off
pic related my 2013 Jetta TDI wagon diesel with 630k miles and never an issue besides wear and tear.maint

Attached: 15560672272551686573099.jpg (4320x2432, 1.71M)

>t. eternal slave

>Isnt it interesting how a car will often rust, depreciate and develop expensive mechanical failure within a decade

My first car was a shitty Hyundai and still had plenty of life in it after 10 years of ownership. My dad drives a 17-year-old 4Runner that still looks brand new. You either suck at buying cars, or you suck at taking care of cars.

>the other is simply a necessity for the serfs to travel to their employment.
>A $10,000 wage cage is a necessity

I laugh at you and all the other cagetards sitting in traffic as I do a manual on the mountain bike I ride to work and back.

No they weren't. They were built like any other vehicle, except there were usually points of the construction that were unnecessarily shoddy. Door handles, locks, little fittings, etc. Not to say you didn't have new American cars and bikes in the golden days, sitting on the show floor with cookie sheets to catch the always leaking oil, but Soviet bloc stuff had a certain shittiness and bad execution of its own--despite some good designs.

Same as Toyota. Personally I don't see the value in them since they're just rebadged toyotas.

High end F350s can cost close to $100k and have major problems with the def system within 5-10 years. I see $40-$60k vehicles less than 10 years old with so much rot on the body they soon won't pass inspection. Not to mention the electrical sensors and components that will cost so much to repair when they start to fail that the vehicle will become worthless as it ages. Cars and trucks are the most disgusting examples of planned obsolescence.

This is the toughest, most reliable, & longest lived vehicle ever made. Get one in 4x4, with a 5 speed manual, w/Cummins Diesel, and your grand kids will need to figure out what to do with it. 1,000,000+ miles is not rare.

Attached: w250.jpg (640x480, 84K)

this too
there's a reason they have an HOUR meter and not a MILEAGE meter for use and service

I hate admitting it but toyotas run like brick shithouses. I worked at a company that had a fleet of them, they had decided that it was more costly to perform any maintenance at all (even oil changes) than to just run them into the ground and replace them as needed. And in the time that I worked for this company not a single one of them stopped working. The one I was given had 250k miles on it and would not fucking die.

I drive a 2009 and it only has 80k miles on it.... Where the fuck are you driving user?

Excellent choice. Faggots that lift old trucks like these should be shot. Take their truck and set it back to the way man intended.

Skid loaders preform a quite different function than cars. Most people don’t drive their bobcat to, and from work everyday. Additionally, loaders that experience heavy use get regular maintenance.

The interior

and this is why "green energy/power" is failing us
buy a new washing machine and dryer
realize it's shit a ND find one from the mid 80s and service it one time and you'll spend less in water and electricity bills in the long run and won't have to buy a new one every 4 years
fucking scam made to break homosexual BULLSHIT

Attached: 1555864239659.jpg (480x360, 14K)

>capital class
LMFAO
literally just into Roth and Traditional IRA (and roll the trad into the roth, dumbass), and learn to trade securities. Options contracts best contracts and fuck futures lmao
I'm 22 and make more than you do, guaranteed haha
>I'm gonna push this 22 meme until it's the new 12

Thick steel takes longer to rust through than sheet steel.

Biggest problem is way too much electrical shit in cars now. Way too much computerization. Not sure why the geek assholes think they need to make everything fucking electronic or with a chip. Fuck them.

Oh and don't automate the fucking windows and shit. I want to be able to control the fucking car. Fuck you, seriously.

I regularly drive 250-300 miles a day

That old lightbulb will probably outlast the new LEDs too. I bet they put a chip in the pcb to limit the hours. Or intentionally design weak points to fail. It's a shame because the light output and low wattage are really amazing.

There's still fridges from the 1940s and 1950s working, but you need a source of R12 to keep them going. Hard to find Freon agents without connections.

Build your own car then, commie faggot.

>jap cars
Traitors the lot of you.

Jnn

>Never left the city. I never saw a tractor. What is a farm anyway?

You should be looking at the road when you're driving not at the interior. Besides fabric seats last longer than leather.

What the fuck is your problem.

Clark Howard, are you shitposting as a 22 yo? You right though.

>Lightbulbs that get turned on twice per year last longer than the ones you use constantly

Whoa

I'd say fridges are best avoided. my meat freezer is from 1954 but my actual day unit is new for that reason. anything else though, dishwasher washer dryer fuck even older vacuums are worth it

You must build pretty shitty rippers if they're back in for repairs in a week

>tfw my 1986 Toyota Cressida still purrs and my retarded friends make fun of me while making 600$ a month car payments to look cool at a bar where they won’t get poon

this

I guess you don't have to worry about several job sites running all across an entire state at the same time?

Companies usually have really strict cleanup/preventative maintenance regulations because their shit costs so much.

Posting in retard bread.

idk but, not politics
kys

The government gets involved in one and dictates endless safety and emissions standards. The other is just built as a tool with little to no regulation. As with most things the government is the cause of the problem, but yet idiots are too stupid to realize this and want to blame capitalism instead.

The two can’t even be compared.

>Or intentionally design weak points to fail.
They do. There are lightbulbs made personally by Thomas Edison that still burn. Incandescent lights are made with purposefully weak filaments that require them to be replaced more often, this has been public knowledge for decades.

Fed ex delivery from coast to coast weekly?

Attached: E645BAC0-DCB1-47AC-B767-D9EE552E6605.gif (217x125, 422K)

Yeah because the car is used more often and travel further and faster than that rustbucket in the OP, have you tried getting to work in a digger user? how about parking and luggage space? how about insurance? god damn I swear all Americans are fucking retarded when making comparisons I hate them as much as an upstanding english gentlemen such as myself surely hates the jews

Goodday good sir.

>vehicle failing inspection because of rust
What states inspect for that? And what is the failure criteria? I drive an older shitbox and am exempt from inspections at all, so I genuinely don’t know. Also, rust isn’t planned obsolescence and can be prevented if you’re diligent about washing the vehicle. The general sentiment about planned obsolescence I agree with though.

Except now there are LED bulbs that last decades.

Your comparing apples to bananas, heavy machinery doesn't get driven nearly as many miles, in fact most machinery service schedule is based on hours ran as opposed to distance traveled, and most machinery is serviced regularly due to it being critical for many businesses running and the fact that machinery is a very large purchase, it's also as the name suggests heavy, a car or truck built the same would get shitty fuel efficiency and still breakdown from excessive use coupled with lack of maintenance.

>The Centennial Light is the world's longest-lasting light bulb, burning since 1901. It is at 4550 East Avenue, Livermore, California, and maintained by the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light

Attached: ligh.jpg (800x400, 49K)