Do these "whats your excuse" pictures have a point? Can you just beat depression by will power...

Do these "whats your excuse" pictures have a point? Can you just beat depression by will power? Or did the people in these photos never have depression and just had other problems instead?

Attached: 20120323-085432.jpg (480x720, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

psychcentral.com/lib/15-common-cognitive-distortions/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Basically, people who have a schema that makes them believe that they can influence the world around them are more likely to do things that will influence their outcome. People who have depressive tenancies appear to be less likely to engage in behaviors that can influence the external world because they usually lack this schema. You don't control everything, but you're not helpless.

Interesting, I've never heard of that before. Is it possible to acquire this schema?

Attached: o65l9t555ht01.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

I'd say mostly other problems, there in that scenario, that person did not want to be seen as an amputee incapable of being treated like anybody else, very common, meanwhile in the case of depression, it varies, what are your goals and how are you going to accomplish them. Are you selfish? I mean do you want to be? If selfishness is not a problem, well work on something that is just for you, if it is, work on something for others.

Depression is a state of mind, not a disease, yes, there could be chemical imbalances in the brain but that can be fixed with pills, what can't be fixed is your outlook.

>Are you selfish? I mean do you want to be?
Good point, I often think that I don't focus enough on myself.
>If selfishness is not a problem, well work on something that is just for you, if it is, work on something for others.
Sounds like good advice.

Thanks.
If I may interject...
Main reason I keep myself from "improving" my body, is that: I am already an ass hole, I don't want to be an absolute jackass that overimposes psyche over subject matter. Would I rather be a "better" person or just a better "body"..? so far, not being very succesful at either.

Yes, in a way. One of the most common methods is through something known as cognitive behavioral therapy. CBT has generally been established as the most effective form of therapy, but it's also useful for people who simply want to maintain their mental hygiene. There are a number of books that can teach you CBT, but the gist of it is to get into the practice of writing down things that make you depressed or anxious, explain them in detail, then look for any number of cognitive distortions.

Here are a few (but not all).
psychcentral.com/lib/15-common-cognitive-distortions/

Obviously, sometimes you are right to get anxious or saddened by things that happen around you, so just because you feel sad doesn't mean that you're committing a cognitive distortion. However, the problem with people who are depressed is that they get into patterns of automatic thought which ends up creating a feedback loop.

The other thing that has been observed is that when people journal regularly, people who are happier tend to do something called "sense making." That is, they approach the idea that bad things happen because the world operates in a logical way. People who are depressive tend to simple dwell on how much it sucks. If you get into the habit of sense making, you'll likely start to habitually view the world as something that you have more control over, even if nothing has changed.

Thanks user, I'm checking this out, it seems very useful

I believe one's basic worldview is determined very early on in life:
- if you're a somewhat happy kid, chances are you'll become a positive person
- if you've had enough trama, then the news are bad
You might move slightly across your spectrum, but any significant change is not happening.

>Do these "whats your excuse" pictures have a point? Can you just beat depression by will power? Or did the people in these photos never have depression and just had other problems instead?

the point is that most people have justifyable reasons to be shitty.

the point is despite that, you should face whatever it is, no matter how hard it is, and struggle to overcome it. It is literally the best option we have to find some kind of meaning in life, and it could be the struggle that gives meaning, or the conquest that opens up your world.

What if i dont understand why anyone would want to influence the world and cant find one thing in this world that i want to do

I've been struggling for almost 14 years and I'm almost 30. Things haven't gotten better. In fact, it seems like things are just getting worse as people I know are disappearing or dying, skills are diminishing, and I feel more isolated and alone. How do I keep going?

You beat depression with medical intervention. You get medical intervention through willpower. I think one of the biggest tragedies about life in general is that mental issues often preclude people from getting mental health assistance. It's like how rabies dehydrates you but also makes you hydrophobic. If there is a Satan, that's his doing. It's unbelievably evil. Same with being psychologically unwell.

Then you must be some sort of zen master and don't need any advice from me.

Im not because im unsatisfied

OP here, I can relate a lot to what you say, I have the same fears right now.

i hear your pain, and I get it. But i can't wrap an answer specifically meaningful to you all neatly up into a package and hand it to you. If life was that simple, there would be no need for psychology. You're still going to have to do the lion's share of work here.

And there's no fucking guarantees. That also has to be learned directly.

But it still doesn't change the idea that its your best strategy. You have no idea in totality what the future holds. For all you know, you're going to peak at 40 in some way that completely forward and back-defines you in such a positive way you can't even understand.

try bibliotherapy

Attached: 51JFDdtE59L._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (310x499, 36K)

Whats the point in peaking at 40? I dont care about my peak. I just want to find any kind of direction for my life

Looking for the peak could be your goal. I'm not that user but I feel like I've wasted my 20's so I sometimes try to think that at least my 30's should be good. It's not working though because I can't keep myself motivated long enough.
But like that user said maybe you reach your peak at some point and it makes you feel okay about your previous years.
Do you have any specific goals right now?

Then there are things you clearly want to change. You might be doing a bad job at identifying what you want to change, you might be doing a bad job at thinking of ways of effectively making change, but dissatisfaction means that you're not content with the world. Even if you actually can't change the physical world around you, there are no external forces preventing you from changing the way in which you see the world. Maybe you should start there if you feel stuck.

No. I have no reason to ever move beyond what I am now in any regard. I am completely content yet incredibly unfulfilled. I wish i had a sense of someplace to go. I have no passions and no dreams.

>No. I have no reason to ever move beyond what I am now in any regard. I am completely content yet incredibly unfulfilled. I wish i had a sense of someplace to go. I have no passions and no dreams.

well, at least you could work on being somewhat appreciative of whatever degree of contentment you live in.

Its the exception that that is the case, you realise, so a little appreciative reflection can help you manage the other stuff better.

Poor body builder lost that leg to infected needles when shooting up steroids in between your toes. But that won't stop you from being EXTREEEEM and ripped and better than you.

Other is a real life non egotistical guy who is just missing his leg his whole life.

I don't know if I'll make it to 40. I'm already at the end of my rope and things just seem like they're going to get worse.

How have you been struggling and how have you fought against the struggle?

They highlight the basic reality that people at the top of the world still jump off it, and people barely clinging to the bottom in this way or that still smile and diligently work to improve what they can. Ergo, the x-factor that brings what we might call "satisfaction" or "contentment" or even "drive" *must necessarily* be something that we do/choose, rather than something which happens to us or around us.

Tony Robbins has a lot of good ideas around this. Look up his talks where he explains his ideas about "blueprints".

yea its called smoking a fatty and watching an occult rabbithole documentary and then convincing yourself you are the chosen one fagget

but how do i get one of those so called "drives"?

a better body will help you become a better person because it regulates your homone levels, increases your health, and literally makes you a living walking role model of how to live a healthy and active life (thereby automatically making you a better person objectively than some fuck who inspires no one). Additionally consistent exercise trains discipline, strengthens your organs and heart, is proven to increase intelligence, improves sleep, and an infinite array of other great elements. Your main problem is pessimism - and it doesn't appear to be thoroughly well-thought-out intelligent cynical pessimism either; it is defeatist I-was-raised-by-losers pessimism which knows no logical or rational apprehension of problems, it just lies down prostrate before them to get fucked in the anus perpetually