Did you know farmers are hacking their tractors just to be able to repair them?

>To avoid the draconian locks that John Deere puts on the tractors they buy, farmers throughout America's heartland have started hacking their equipment with firmware that's cracked in Eastern Europe and traded on invite-only, paid online forums.

>Tractor hacking is growing increasingly popular because John Deere and other manufacturers have made it impossible to perform "unauthorized" repair on farm equipment, which farmers see as an attack on their sovereignty and quite possibly an existential threat to their livelihood if their tractor breaks at an inopportune time.

It's amazing this lock-in bullshit is even legal

Attached: Screenshot_20190505-094025.jpg (1080x1365, 720K)

Wasn't it already ruled that companies can't do this with that huge case about unlocking phones about 5 years ago?

Farmers sign a license agreement not to do it when they go and buy the tractor

You will thank our retarded low-iq jerks many times in future.

You did not understand 's question.

based Ukrainian farmers and programmers.

Right to repair isn't universal. The licensing agreement is upheld in most states
He'll I bet where in places like North Dakota where it matters most is where John Deere has lobbied hardest against it

That's why I can't stand all the nonsense they put in cars now. One day they will try this with cars, they already design the engine bay in a way that purposely makes them hard to repair at home. A lot of the SOPs for my car to work on the engine involve pulling out the whole transmission. I usually find ways to sneak around the bay but it's difficult and time consuming.

lets just gas everyone

I am amazed some other company hasn't swooped in an stolen the market from john deere. They aren't the only tractor company and its not like making tractors is rocket science.

>still buying John Deere

>sorry, goy. i know that fix is simple but your not authorized to do it. now give me 2,000 shekels
fuck kikes
fuck niggers

I agree. When I work on modern cars I can't help but come to the conclusion that they make shit impossible to work on purpose. My girlfriend had a newer mazda that had a piece of razor sharp sheet metal right beside the oil filter. You had to be careful not to slice your hand open just changing the oil. It is like they put it there to teach people a lesson if they dared change the oil themselves.

Based balkanians uncucking the ''land of the free''

>Capitalism.

Attached: Yes.jpg (513x510, 29K)

So John Deer is the apple of tractors?

Attached: images(46).jpg (344x344, 14K)

I remember how pissed I was when a car came in, and it had the battery in the wheel well. That's when I realized what the manufacturers where trying to do, and it just got worse after that.

By the way, this issue is going to be in full swing not only with tractors in the US. EUSSR has is going to invoke a law that car manufacturers are obliged to create automotive software throttling engines of cars that are speeding. I’m pretty sure that repairing hurdles and engine blockage can be implemented at ease at the same time. So yeah, guys, learn to code, and this time not just fucking websites

Why does a tractor need a computer?

Don't void the warranty like a fucking retard.

Are you fucking kidding me right now?

You're not allowed to service anything anymore. Take it in, or throw it away and buy a new one. No money in making anything last anymore.

But hey, the environment is climate change causing the world to end so let's ban plastic straws and charge everyone a carbon tax, to be responsible.

Fuck this gay Earth

this, "Come on down to Anons BIG ASS TRACKTORS Store, located on Main St. We got some big ass tracktors with some big ass savings. John deers? nope we dont sell that crap, come check out the all the all new B.A.T JustWorks tracktor. it great for all your farm, get one today at only 1000 neet bucks.

>They aren't the only tractor company and its not like making tractors is rocket science.
You'd be surprised how much shit has been tacked on nowadays and how complex some of this shit gets.
You guys should look up one of the latest BMW 1 series cars, their difference in horsepower comes from the chip-tuning rather than having different engine blocks. I know a guy that actually bought the lightest version and just got it chip tuned to have more power. All of this technoglogy on cars is fine and dandy for diagnostics and making sure it performs really well, but there's a lot of bullshit they throw in their as well with proprietary software and retarded decisions to make maintenance a nightmare.

Old tractors and cars never had this shit.

They added computers mainly to give you an odb port you could diagnose the care from and make troubleshooting easier.

Now they are locking that behind encryption and are trying to force you to use the dealer. On top of that they'll just brick your vehicle till someone 'qualified' can review it.

Zetor doesnt have this problem, john D's are overrated and youre paying extra for some green paint and shitty computer

>put some chink shit that brakes more costly parts
JOHN DEERE MY WARRANT PLEASE, I DIDNT KNEW IT WAS GOING TO COST ME MORE THAN A REGULAR MAINTENANCE

Eat shit you burgers. If you are going to steal on warrants then buy a piece of shit chink tractor on first place. Dont pick the cherries of two men, you fucking sluts.

make your own tractors, bigots!

Fendt is better anyway
avoid New Holland though, they are fragile shit

BMW and Mercedes do this shit too. Surely many more major brands.

From what I understand, it's not a conspiracy or anything they really do design the bays for "space efficiency" rather than ease of maintenance because they expect you to bring it to their authorized shops. You know, even when the warranty is expired and they want like $1400 just to do a simple job that'd be like 30 minutes of labor on a car from the 90's/early 00's that weren't designed in such a shitty manner.

This. Just buy a different fucking tractor for gods sake. I still see lots of tractors from decades ago that work fine, why even get one that needs software?

Um, they started that in 1996, as soon as OBD2 kicked in.

Same shit happened with everything electronically controlled by a micro processor since the invention of it.
Jow Forumsfarmers rise up

Reeeee

Attached: image.jpg (1200x550, 182K)

Just buy Belorussian tractors you faglets.

No software locks there or even any software at all for that matter.

Czech zetors are better

Well that's the problem, it's only nice when it works and when you're in warranty. Once those two requirements are failed to be met it's an absolute shit show not worth the trouble.

Callate peruano

>tfw maximized the fucking of the manufacturer by getting $2000 of repairs done in the last month of the warranty

Attached: 1543693700726.gif (500x491, 376K)

heat shield?

So they can make your shit obsolete remotely and make sure you go to a licensed service provider.

Why do you peasants need a tractor

There's a valid means of production point to be made there, but Marx can still suck my tiny little dick

>So John Deer is the apple of tractors?
Exactly. Both these companies are hugely invested, and actively lobbying, against the Right to Repair at this very moment. This indentured servitude must be opposed!

this, old tractors are fucking beautiful vehicles anyway

Attached: 36246.jpg (655x599, 128K)

based sopabro

This is why they both are losing market share at alarming rates, "German miracle" is a big buzzword for "Centralized production via EU regulations". Once you have no market to cannibalize in Europe things are going to hit hard on your artificial job boost. I am not sure but it will be a big economic shock in the future when a new type of automobile business finally brakes the EU regulations from outside and leave old brands in ruins like Kodak.

Been saying this for years and no one believed me. What they also do is they overcomplicate simple parts like fuel filter mounts so you end up paying more for that propriitary part. They also make repairs more time consuming so that the mechanic takes longer hours. Cars would be much less expensive to buy and maintain, like they used to be.

People are starting to grow skeptical of bew cars, and the older ones like 8th gen civics or honda elements are flying off the lot. Local dealership sells elements within 3 days of listing it.

Why are they buying these to begin with, is that the only manufacturer or something? Though the market seemingly already fixed this with the hacks anyway

Mercedes used to have a key to unlock the engine hood.
Key was only available to dealers.
You couldn't even check the oil.

This is nothing new and has been adopted and dropped many times by different company's.

Don't like it? Buy another brand of tractor.

>You're not allowed to service anything anymore. Take it in, or throw it away and buy a new one. No money in making anything last anymore.
>But hey, the environment is climate change causing the world to end so let's ban plastic straws and charge everyone a carbon tax, to be responsible.
it's hilarious that lefties don't get up in arms about this. they also fail to realize that as the Western world went from quality made goods that lasted a long time or could be repaired. to cheap junk that you throw away and buy a new one when it breaks that our entire society including people have now become disposable. and the buy buy buy replacement consumer culture is killing the fucking planet and burning up resources way way faster than climate change or any other bullshit they champion. but hey they need their new phone every six months, etc, etc

what kind of tractors do you guys use?

Attached: boer secret fertilizer.jpg (612x366, 92K)

>why even get one that needs software?

They are more efficient, use GPS.

They can also use donkeys, but they would still lose to someone else who uses the most modern technology.

this is a good example of the software industry disrupting the economy
it shows that the software industry isn't worth saving
What good are laws that say you are free if you live in a de-facto economy that demands you be a slave?
Frankly I'm sick of what the Americans have done to their economy. I think it's offensive. And the USA risks sabotage when it fucks with its people this way.
Why would I defend the USA when the USA demands that I be a slave?
Why would I help someone who demands I act like a slave?

Actually though, I had a radiator and seals done on my GTi in it's final warranty year lol

Same bullshit is happening with the trucking industry. Its pure evil. It's orwells 1984 come true.

Because the average farmer here has more land than your whole country-region.

Frankly, I see this as a harbinger of the end of Western values in the USA. It looks like the USA wants to throw Western values in the toilet.

I hate locked down anything especially software.
I got my ecu unlocked in my car as a matter of principle one day I'll git gud and load up hptuners

spent some time in kansas a few years ago, most of the farmers i met were working off bank loans and some sort of government subsidy. they told me they had to buy modern gps enabled equipment, and they had to grow s o y or they didnt get their shit. boomers took the bait again.

>I am amazed some other company hasn't swooped in an stolen the market from john deere.
you are goin to get sued so much for infringing random patents you never heard about you wont have any time for business and suppliers are all contracted to the mega corps so you also have to build an entire industry.

What we need is laws that make all these monopoly schemes illegal but then the "hello fellow goyim" shills pour in an screech about "muh intellectual prupperty" and"muh freedumbs" and shit.

On a ranch I used to work at we used a tractor from the 1960s. It ran better than any of the John Deere bullshit and never broke once.

thats what happens when you leave your ancestral homelands for the riches on the new continent, then you get replaced by mexicans but hey you got all that land

I worked with a lot of guys that came from dealerships.
Their workflow was:
if under warranty:
Don't fix, but clean the part, and/or surrounding area.
Out of warranty:
Fix

Its true. Maintenance on the US is fucking expensive, so much that in a large scale it requires an investment no one is willing to risk... except maybe a few American brands with the warrant and lock policies.

Like said before, the victim here is John Deere. Farmers are sluts that want the best of warrants and client protection laws from an American firm and also want the best of cheap imported part and free maintenance risk.

The only outcome from this is making John Deere stop giving shit about post sale. And at the end farmers will have to buy tractors like cellphones, a new one every fucking 2 years, shine new from Chinese factories "cheap as fuck".

only hackin' my tractor does is them weeds in the ditch out front

Attached: internet-hillbillies.jpg (666x530, 69K)

Pretty soon you won't be allowed to buy anything significant, you will be forced to lease and as such you will have no control over the use to which things are put
>incorrect opinion
your car will cease to work, you'll still have to pay the rental though

not only that they are now consolidating simple ass parts that you used to be able to change very easily independently into sealed units that if a part breaks you know have to buy the whole expensive unit to replace. i.e. spark plugs, wires and distributer caps or fuel filters, vapor canisters,etc. just keeps getting worse and worse

>John Deere and other manufacturers have made it impossible to perform "unauthorized" repair on farm equipment
not ok

BUT DUDE FREE MARKET LOL

I thought you stupid Jew lovers wanted to be a part of the eu

is there anything that boomers dont ruin ?

>it's hilarious that lefties don't get up in arms about this.
This is assuming the lefties and the climate change public have any real thoughts on the debate. We all know they regurgitate what is spouted on state run and state backed news along with whatever billionaire funded action group is pushing guilt on them. And adding to that these lefties are for the most part urban pseudo-intellectuals, people working in theoretical education, bullshit jobs or subject related to the service-sector (financing, marketing and other retarded jobs); these people couldn't take a salt shaker apart if they wanted to. They don't have a fucking clue what consumerism culture is and they don't care, their jobs depend on the very system that is so easily misleading them into believing the fucking end is nigh of they don't support more taxes, more transfer of their wealth and an even bigger government to solve "their" problems. They deserve no mercy or say in anything when the time comes, only to shut their goddamned mouths while the political agitators are taken care off and decrepit bureaucrats smoked out of their ivory towers.

where the ebola at
where the marburg at
you got some west nile up in this bitch

Do you guys get a lot of white farmer refugees from SA and ZIM? do they help the local economy?

For the battery in the wheel well one, that’s a pretty shitty example; it’s always setup where it’s extremely trivial to disconnect the negative terminal, which is 99% of the interaction you’ll have with your battery. Actually removing and replacing a battery is fairly rare, and taking a wheel off is baby shit.

>J3v
Oy vey.

If it's about fuel efficiency, does that extra .02% really validate the increased price, and hassel? GPS can be dealt with by better operator training. The rest is just shit tacked on to make pm a bitch.

But isnt that the point, to destroy it, or to turn it into a shadow of its former self? Thats what communists do. They tried this shit woth the g36 rifle, by forcing the contrived opinion that it had accuracy issues. They hate nationality and BRAND accosiated with nationalism. In their dystopia, you will walk down a grocery isle and every box will be grey and generic, and always a shortage of shaving razors.

Only a few farmers from Zimbabwe came here, but it was a long time ago. They're needed to help resurrect our long dead agricultural sector.
Most of them went to Zambia.
>West Nile
No. TB.

>John deer is at fault
>For making forced black box vehicles

Maybe they shouldn't be niggers trying to eat into what little remains of the farmers/owner operators profits.

I have a 7th gen civic and it's an absolute breeze to work on. Can't say that about the newer models though. To even run basic diagnostics, you need a proprietary tool running proprietary software that costs >$500. Fuck newer cars.

Hahahah i had no idea this was even a thing. Why the fuck does a tractor need a computer? What the hell is wrong with analog?

>What is collusion?

Are you fuckers reading what are you posting? Its contrary to freedom and democracy.

You are cheering a back stab on a regulated and national business model. You sound like miserable communists cheering a bank getting robbed or a billionaire getting taxed to death.

This is not cheer. Japanese, Chinese and even Korean tractors already offer cheap tractors on the US, with partnership from importers and standard practices for local and cheap maintenance.

Why do farmers choose then a lock policy post sale from an American brand then? Do you have any idea how much do John Deere has to pay retail, personnel, loans taken to build shops, and so on?

This is sad. The Soviet Union won the cold war at the end, in the mind of imbeciles like most of you are and that probably your children will also be like.

Ma daddy drives a trackder
Sometimes I hep him but mostly I just bring him sammiches and beer

>Remove wheel
>Remove shroud
>Remove housing
>Replace battery
>Place housing
>Place shroud
>place wheel
Stfu

i use mostly old tractors ( like ferguson, steyr). they're unbreakable.

So like 15 minutes of work?

Does Kubota do this? can they buy Kubota or New Holland or any of a number of other manufacturers? Why do they keep buying from a company that is "attack"ing them?

I worked on software for John Deere in Mannheim. I no longer work for John Deere or am associated with them in any way.
I was part of one of the many teams that work on this software. Specifically I was part of John Deere's ISG division also known as the Intelligent Solutions Group. The ISG division (was at the time) responsible for tying together various software built by OEM's, for building the central UI within the cabin, and for building various debugging and build tools. The team I was on, consisted of about 8 very senior engineers, and I think there were around 20 total engineers working for ISG at the time (though I saw, and knew only a handful of them). Now, when I say OEM integration, I mean suppliers and other John Deere divisions with their own teams mirroring ours. All told, I would estimate that John Deere has somewhere between 150-300 engineers working full-time on their codebase for their tractors.

Let me disabuse you of any myths. These are not riding lawnmowers. They are 30-ton combines, and 20 ton tractors tilling fields, with massive horsepower behind them. They have a real potential to end peoples lives in the event of failure, and these tractors do (in testing) fail in spectacular ways. If a team of hundred of engineers struggle with their codebase internally, Joe Farmer isn't going to have a fucking clue how to repair their software correctly.

Now should you, in theory, have the right to modify equipment you own? Sure. Absolutely. Hell, John Deere tractors run on open source software. But trust me on this, locking this down is a very good idea.

If you have the drive to make open source tractor software AND can make absolutely certain no-one ever dies from code you write, then go do it. Just keep in mind that the engineers that work on this shit really care about keeping people safe.

Attached: default.jpg (669x959, 235K)

>farmers pay for service that allows them to get around locks
Capitalism

This mostly fucks big AG. Just about every mid sized farmer I know 200-500 acres use old ford, Massey Ferguson or Kabuta tractors. 80s or older. Very reliable and parts are cheap. My neighbor did an engine swap in his Ferguson with a Chevy 305. Reliable and cheap, no electronics.
The original engine was fine, a flathead. He wanted more power and he can get parts anywhere. The old engine runs s a sawmill now.

imagine stealing your rival farms cows with that thing.

Attached: 418249af8e2753e29a538f42bbca8b3c5b81ed3bfd2ce226f8f6adc78fdc6c61.gif (497x373, 487K)

I got polish firmware on my router

Caterpillar here.
No comp, and I've repaired it hundreds of times.
It's literally older than me, and still works.

Alot of profit margin in small operations comes from self repair, and doing things on your own.

Remove that, and many businesses will fail.

If people refuse to buy, will it go back to how it should be? Like i said, people are starting to buy old cars.

I've still got a 97 5-speed stock civic. Just took it for a radiator fluid change. Man, I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, and changed the bearings all by myself. Runs 100% at 177k miles. Even did the valve adjustement myself.

They've been pushing the same shit with cars and phones, so this isn't surprising. That said as someone who roots his phone to get basic functionality these farmers are pretty based in my eyes.