Why Pickett's Charge failed?

Why Pickett's Charge failed?

Attached: battle flag.png (480x480, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v7MPdJLu6sI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Jews

Terrible military planning.
Instead of waiting, retreating, relocating, whatever, they sent a major part of confederates forces to become casualties.

They rushed in just to rush in

Yep, there is almost never a moment in war where this is actually the right move.

Any piratable ebooks that concisely deal with US Civil War from start to finish. also for Confederacy in particular. Never learned about it in school apart from it being some war that happened in burgerland about slaves and industrial Norf/agro South

jewgle "The South Was Right" by Kennedy and Kennedy

They had to break the enemy lines before they could be reinforced and the entire invasion would have been for naught. They failed obviously, but they had reason for their hastiness.

Because Lee was essentially fighting the last war when he ordered it. If this was the Mexican war, it would have been a bold maneuver that could have worked, but the reality was just that the positions were well entrenched, the weapons of the day were much more effective, and that the Union really didn't have an obvious route position thus people held on for their lives.

Keep in mind that throughout the war at this point Lee wasn't particularly making that granular choices. He typically trusted his officers, and his officers made good choices more often than not. This maneuver was very much the top brass giving orders to the field to try to recoup a lost chance earlier in Gettysburg to take the positions if Lee had been more aggressive.

frontal attack on an entrenched enemy with rifles accurate to 200 yards plus, suicide and it happened to the North at Antietam etc, the day of the massed charge was over.

Fuck converging fire by light and heavy arms across large open areas.

I believe the artillery that was covering them ran out of ammunition and wasn't resupplied in time. I may be wrong about that. If the charge had made it there were more troops and cavalry prepared to exploit the opening. If Pickett's charge had worked it likely would have been regarded as one of the most brilliant and valiant maneuvers in military history. But like Eisenhower said, "In war, planning is essential, but plans are useless."

Attached: Rusky.jpg (720x960, 130K)

pretty much this, it was some of the best defendive ground one could hope for, the advantage had moved to the defenders, demonstrated clearly in WW1.

The artillery was ordered by Lee to open a bombardment on Northern positions in the centre of the line so as to soften them up, read a book or go on wikipedia, this battle has been analysed to death.

That's what I was referring to. I think they were low on ammo and the bombardment was cut short.

I believe this should tell it well.

youtube.com/watch?v=v7MPdJLu6sI

Still, why attack on a wide front, just bombard one of the two main batteries and try to break through at that point. Yes you would face the remaining cannons but they where off on the ends of the ridge.

They underestimated the number of cannons the Union still had on the 3rd day

They had to break the Union center before their flank gave out. Didn't work out though.

Because the confederate soldiers were too busy raiding the supplies/food left behind by the union soldiers.

Had they kept fighting instead of stopping to eat they would have won.

But folks gotta eat ya know, and the confederacy wasn’t the best logistically speaking.

Attached: 81CABBC3-611B-4D9C-B25F-198E6D1DE827.jpg (960x904, 162K)

Yeah, I study some military history, it can be hard to understand old ways of thinking. Namely, lets strike the killing blow, insted of lets earn the best tactical win we can for today.

yes they were, however the bombardment was ineffective as it ‘s been found most of the rounds missed, Lee like all General’s up until 1918 did not understand the effect of accurate rifle fire has on massed infantry charges, his own General’s advised against the charge and engaging the enemy at Gettysburg.

The Confederate artillery barrage failed to knock out even a meager amount of Union artillery. Now go look at the distance Pickett's "Charge" (they marched until a football field away) had to cover.

Now Pickett and his men had to march over very open ground getting absolutely bombarded my a massive amount of artillery. Also, when they got into range the Union had grapeshot shot at Pickett.

This whole plan was very stupid and even if they had succeeded in knocking a good amount of Union artillery out the Union reserves would have joined the fight.