Objectivism General (OG)

ITT we recognize our mental superiority to others.

Please keep unchecked premises to a minimum.

Excerpt of the day:

"Calmly and impersonally, she, who would have hesitated to fire at an animal, pulled the trigger and fired straight at the heart of a man who had wanted to exist without the responsibility of consciousness."

Attached: aynRandTeaching.jpg (268x188, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JoAWCwm-UXw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

reminder the kathedersozialists won the methedonstreit

Bump

Imagine considering your 1 life as belonging to a group of other people you don't even know.

Fascists are the ultimate cucks.

Rand was wrong about gays, indians, and cigarettes. Other than that cool and inspiring.

Found the gay indian.

Some of her metaphysics are a bit handwavy, but the aesthetics and ethics (with some exceptions) are great.

Attached: perpetual meaning machine.png (485x467, 228K)

Please help me understand how lying can somehow be justified.

My understanding is this: lying is moral in the same way that self defense is not murder.

thoughts?

Attached: 1547427694855.jpg (650x675, 229K)

And also communists. Fuck communists. And Tim Pool.

the yardstick for measuring the morality of anything is rational self-interest. Is it in your interest, over the long term, to lie? Are the consequences of the lie, and being branded a liar by those you deceive, worth the benefits you gain from it? Is the insecurity you will always feel about being found out? In extreme cases such as self-defense, probably. In most other cases, I'd say no.

Lying is only ethical if it is in self defense. Most of the time to lie is harmful to oneself. If you lie to someone in order to be their friend, you are forcing yourself to live a demeaning lie. Example: You are being interrogated and tortured by a villain. Lie all you want. Your honesty would do you no good.

This is exactly what I mean. I am reading Objectivism by LP right now, and he says at times lying is justified. Can you go through a few examples when it would be moral to tell a lie?

Attached: 1548210213433.jpg (948x1587, 85K)

Jews hate her for discovering this one simple trick!

The police officer arrives at your home to confiscate your weapons, because all firearms were just outlawed by a tyrannical government.

>Where are your guns?
"Lost them in a boating accident."

>gays
She didn't like their lifestyle, just as she detested the lifestyles of hippies.

>Indians
Feather, right? If so, she disliked how they believed they own land by nature of their race.

>cigarrettes
This is a metaphor for the mind.

What about women- when Donahue asked if she would vote for a women president, she said "if we had fallen that far." She followed up by saying that it is not in women's nature to want to be in control.

>metaphysics
She clarified her position, in later interviews- that the alternative to her axiom is to "expound no theories and die."

There's this libertarian-ish guy on the local evening conservative talk radio. He's a bright enough guy and his program is lively. But it does make me chuckle each time that he articulates his squaring of his professed Christianity with his adherence to objectivist principles. He might as well square a circle.

Another time, I was in a local, literal straight up communist/far left bookstore/infoshop. I like to keep tabs on what the enemy is doing. These two old white guys, sad bastard Statler and Waldorf, are sitting at the central table, going back and forth. Conversation gets round to Rand, and her hypocrisy over taking welfare. (the above talk show host guy addressed this exact point in a cogent way-it's rational to take advantage of the policy if its implementation is right in front of you, even if you advocate that the policy and its results ought not exist. One sniffs a LITTLE bullshit about this, but it's at least tenable for discussion). Anyway sad bastard commie Statler and Waldorf are shitting on Rand, but at the end of their little exchange, they find common cause: "But at least she was an atheist." "Yeah, at least she was right about that."

Thank you my friend.

>hypocrisy on welfare
This shallow meme is as bad as muh roads.

Someone steals your money, and you can have half of it back or none of it back. You choose half of it. This makes you a hypocrite somehow.

Pretty much this.
>don't like welfare?
>don't like having your money stolen and given to niggers?
>WHY ARE YOU A HYPOCRITE AND TAKING SOCIAL SECURITY THAT YOU WERE FORCED TO PAY INTO YOUR ENTIRE LIFE THEN???
It's such an inversion of logic.
I'm "taking" social security because it's my fucking money, and always was my money.

Less about feather and more about saying they were naked savages who deserved to get genocided. Guess she didn't see any rational men amongst the indians.

Her understanding of gender was interesting. Her female characters were both strong and feminine, unlike today's idea of a strong woman, which is a woman who does guy things.

>
>There's this libertarian-ish guy on the local evening conservative talk radio. He's a bright enough guy and his program is lively. But it does make me chuckle each time that he articulates his squaring of his professed Christianity with his adherence to objectivist principles. He might as well square a circle.

Yes, I find it odd how American libertarians believe in god- it's strange, but not offputting otherwise.

>Another time, I was in a local...
I wish these people had non-shit arguments.

Listen instead to Nathaniel Branden's Basic Principles of Objectivism.

Good point, the talk radio guy I've mentioned is pretty hard on taxation-is-theft so that's cogent. One must also take into account that I was merely reporting the addled false consciousness of leftists.

She was bold enough to put a literal rape fantasy scene into the Fountainhead because she accurately portrayed feminine satisfaction as being conquered/possessed by a man worthy of claiming them. There's also a line in the party scene at Rearden's house in Atlas where she describes the bracelet on Dagney's wrist as being suggestive of a chain, as if she were a possession. It's provocative stuff. These women were just so powerful and accomplished they had never found men they wanted to belong to.

Those who argue as such don't realize that the point of the NAP is to prevent aggression upon oneself- and in cases where this doesn't happen (having to pay SS), then it makes no sense to not take it when you can.

I'd say that some people miss the bigger picture- they don't think in context.

With that and also with free will she kind of justified the theory by a preference for its existence.

'Man has free will'
'How do you know we have free will?'
'Try not having free will, see how far it gets you'

Wow I have never heard this before. I love it thanks.

Will check it out

When Rearden gives his wife the Rearden steel ring and she calls it a chain, symbolic of her oppression, that really redpilled me on complaining housewives. Made me think about my mom always blaming my dad for crap while he's working 18 hours a day.

So what was your dad, or reardens, proper mode of action in this situation, and how does one recognize it?

I have read fountain and atlas once, currently reading obj and atlas again.

By contrast when he develops the affair with Dagney, she drops her usual commanding demeanor and takes pleasure in serving him. Lighting his cigarette, waiting on him, etc. Rand's opinion was that women are happiest as creatures that support and serve their chosen men, not that control them.

Branden's worth reading, but he comes across as shallow compared to Peikoff. This is especially evident in OPAR, DIM, and all of Peikoff's technical lectures.

If you have a dependent in life that claims to be oppressed, you should free them from their "oppression." It's like when a teenager gets too old and surly, and it's time for them to move out.

I haven't read all of Atlas Shrugged yet so I don't know what happens with his wife but in his situation I'd dump em all if they hate him so much. The best solution to manipulative people is to take them honestly at their word. If they claim to be unhappy with being around you, don't ask how you can solve that for them, ask why they don't solve it for themself and gtfo. Often you'll find that a person making a moral claim upon your actions will play their cards more conservatively and treat you with more respect if you call their bluff. You teach people how to treat you in life after all.

>Branden
>shallow
I'd say the opposite. Peikoff attempts to be technical, but always drowns himself in (poor) reasoning.

And it's true. Most women don't want a servant. It's exactly why "nice guys" get nowhere, while men with confidence, self esteem, and a willingness to ignore girls are sought after.

You left out the Z

>Alisa Rosenbaum
>Nathaniel Blumenthal
>Leonard Piekoff
>Yaron Brook
What does every single Objectivist leader have in common? hmmmmm...

>give up your group identity, goy-... er, fellow individual.
>also, israel is the most important country in the world today and must have your support!

Attached: 1557552474075.jpg (353x251, 50K)

what is a group identity?

YIKES IT’S AYN THE KIKE

>
>You left out the Z
What

Rand and Branden can be forgiven for supporting Israel- they existed in a different era.
The others are either idiots, or don't want to destroy themselves just to have a correct opinion.
>individualism
Individialism doesn't mean to act alone- just not to use collective power to disenfranchise others.

>OP is a moron and an objectivist

Who would have guessed.

your one life comprises the dialogue of and entire people. fuck you cunt.

Attached: birdofprey1.webm (480x360, 418K)

youtube.com/watch?v=JoAWCwm-UXw

How does blowing up niggers make you pro-israel?