Why Religion?

Why is Religion important?

Arguments seem to rage constantly on Jow Forums concerning peripheral matters regarding religion but I don't see any threads discussing 'Why' religion persists and endure.

My suspicion is that people simply don't know, or have forgotten, or are content enough to not care. Yet here we are in the current year and religion is still a burning topic of discussion and debate. Islam clearly is front and Centre, the Catholic church's pedophile scandal is constantly in the News, Atheism is most militant in the Anglo sphere with it's most prominent prophets coming from Western halls of Academia.

So the question seems, to me at least, to require exploration and analysis; Why is Religion so important. Why do we seem to need it?

Attached: 1556574988711m.jpg (1024x898, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DLZVsTf99gc
youtu.be/9k0Gs516rjg
cosmosandhistory.org/index.php/journal/article/viewFile/694/1157
youtube.com/watch?v=CMxzbOkSUCA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let this guy explain it to you, he does it better than me, if you can spare half an hour
youtu.be/DLZVsTf99gc

Read Mere Christianity

This might not be related but do you believe in an afterlife or do you think the likelyhood of one is plausible?

Because without it we get otherkin, trannys, furrys, faggots, etc . . . I don't like it either but that's just how it is. Most people are fucking retarded.

I think heaven and hell exist in this realm. I lean more toward reincarnation because I believe existence is cyclical, without beginning and end. Time is infinite and material reality expands and contracts, like a pulse. When time is infinite and material reality renews constantly we would return over and over and over again, in many forms but given enough time, as ourselves again, to try again.

But that isn't the question

Because if you have a moral base you start reallizing all the shit that is going on the world and how to face them, the inherent suffer of this world.

Attached: if only.png (600x600, 322K)

Too academic and what he talks about are consequences. What I'm asking about is the initial reason why? What is the fundamental reason religion has a seminal moment. What circumstances cause us to *create* a concept which serves as the engine to create and sustain civilisations over millenia, time and time again?

truth

you're both retards who know nothing about history, sociology, human nature, or the shit written in your own Bible.

I would agree

The City of Man is the love of self, even to the contempt of God. The City of God is the love of God, even to the contempt of self.
Our current society is in the City of Man. We value selfishness, death, and money. Men do not protect their women, and therefore, do not protect their children. And once they stop protecting the weak, the weak become prey. We forgot humility, modesty, patience and kindness. It is women that set the moral bar of society. But many women do not act as their brothers keeper and now feed off of men's weaknesses for their own benefit. They, both, have been severely corrupted by the death culture.
The City of God can only be resurrected through one's own actions. Not through government or religion and not in a particular location.
Remember, you can buy the City of Man but you cannot buy the City of God. It's not for sale.

>history, sociology, human nature, or the shit written in your own Bible
Of course i know newfag.

Attached: MIRACLE OF THE SUN.jpg (700x438, 41K)

you should be asking "what is the truth?"

>truth

For sure but truth in respect of what? Science and logic have elements of truth but these things can assert it's reasonable to commit suicide.

Why and how does religion encourage us to stay alive, to get back up, to try again, and again, and again etc. etc......

Redemption.

That’s what SJWs even prey upon. Never apologize to SJWs.

Consciousness = God

you don't sound like it. In fact, most ebin christians have not read the bible, and they believe in what they assume is christianity. What's your opinion on Jacob's morality, in regards to his brother Esau, and God's endorsement of his behavior?

the spirit

>Why is Religion important?

The final redpill is that some bluepills are necessary. The truth of the matter is that the statement "We don't need [religion] to be moral!" is simply not true for a lot of low IQ people and historically the way to keep the dumb masses in line has been instilling the belief of a Big Brother higher power to both intimidate and inspire. There literally are people who cannot be good people without some concept of an external force doling out punishment, and there are people who cannot figure out prosperous living without having it laid out to them as an existing imperative from an ultimate authority.

If I had to choose between everyone suddenly being an atheist, or everyone suddenly taking up devout Catholicism, I'd easily pick the latter, because I honestly believe that the majority of the population needs the structure, community, and authority of religion not to become utter fucking degenerate scum, because the average IQ on Earth now is around 88. That's not retard tier, but it's honestly approaching the diminished ability for empathy and rational evaluation of moral actions within a social context. Without the bluepill of religion to provide a rigid framework of moral organization for these people they basically become the degeneracy we see today with the increasing secularization of our social landscape.

Basically, most people are too stupid to handle redpills and the responsibility that comes with them, and so for these people. bluepills exist, not only to improve their lives, but to improve the lives of those who've been redpilled so they don't have tonnes of people taking the redpill who can't handle it.

it’s pretty simple really
reality takes place between our ears
not outside of our head like we believe
and
since our brains are in actuality quantum computers - each neuron is a multitude of quantum switches (look it up) and recently it’s been proven that our neurons in our brains communicate in waves that do not use electrical synapses - quantum communication is the second half of our brains operating system
as a result
because we do not yet understand the principals of quantum reality, much how it took hundreds of years to understand the laws of physics and what we observed prior to understanding them they seemed mysterious cryptic so does reality
therefore:
mans drive to religion is his attempt to comprehend and make sense of the
“magical universe” marshaling along our magical lives

Good but what are you conscious of? What do we become conscious of that leads to the establishment of a Religious Tradition?

Here's a clue

youtu.be/9k0Gs516rjg

Are you an atheist? Just curious

Man has always craved knowledge of his own identity. Human identity is coherent, existing as a unified whole, without gaps or breaks that might interrupt the connection between its various parts and aspects. If human identity were ultimately pluralistic – e.g., dualistic, existing in two essential or fundamental parts - then the equally fundamental gap between the parts would destroy its continuity, rendering it dissociative and pathological. To understand his own identity, man requires a coherent and therefore monic self-model reflecting its psychological coherence and relating it to all levels of reality. That is, man requires a valid interpretation of the human individual in society, and of the individual and society in reality at large. This interpretation must take the form of an unbroken correspondence spanning the extended relationship between man, as an inhabitant of reality, and reality in its most basic and universal form; man must see himself as an integral part of reality, and reality as an extension of his own being within a single unified ontology or metaphysics. In short, man and reality must share a common metaphysical identity.

You are wrong in your fundamental assumption. It is not pluralistic perception of self that is pathological, but the monistic perception which leads to the most delusional and grotesque acts and attitudes.

Where metaphysics is a language expressing the relationship between mental and physical reality, spirituality can be understood as the metaphysical essence of human identity, and religion as its organizational manifestation. In its various benign forms, religion provides man with self-understanding and a sense of community... a model of the individual and his or her relationship to other people, society, and reality at large. Religion tells people who they are, and mankind what it is, by establishing their relationship to the global environment on the spiritual level; it is a binary relationship of man to his real environment, and where the global environment of each human being includes all others, the relationship of mankind to itself. The spiritual model of self, the extended man-reality relationship required by religion, is thus a stratification of human identity from the individual to ultimate reality, the level of reality that cannot be explained in terms of anything prior to itself or any sort of exterior embedment. This follows from the fact that man is embedded in reality and thus shares all of its most general and ubiquitous properties, up to human limitations of structure and dynamics. Parallel to this degree of extension is the outward extension of self that is sought in certain Asian religious traditions; the self becomes ever more expansive as its hidden depths are plumbed. But here we must note that the phrase “ultimate reality” is necessarily a partial description of God, incorporated in the (otherwise variously defined) identity of all viable monotheistic religions. Any God not incorporating ultimate reality could exist only in a properly inclusive reality partially beyond His influence and creative power, and would thus come up short in virtually every major strain of monotheism. On the other hand, this description holds regardless of any more specific properties incorporated in various definitions of God.

Not my writing

cosmosandhistory.org/index.php/journal/article/viewFile/694/1157

We are slightly more intelligent than most other beasts, this leads us to look for a meaning to our brief span of life.
In the past religion was developed as a form of meaning, which was then abused and turned into a control.

yer a goddam gene machine
you only require the means to pass along your genes - in some cases religion helps this happen - if it didn’t, it wouldn’t exist - religion creates cohesiveness among genetically unrelated aggregations of people for whom you would share food and or die for - that’s comes in useful in large population models.

also violent abrahamic religions offered a heavenly reward for your selfless act of sacrifice in battle for your compatriots and overlords

really it doesn’t matter what you believe your still a fukin robot - a gene machine having a drama filled human experience -

Yeah. It's about Identity. Thank you. I am not alone.

>Any God not incorporating ultimate reality could exist only in a properly inclusive reality partially beyond His influence and creative power, and would thus come up short in virtually every major strain of monotheism.
welp, there goes yahweh

>196IQ
damn

It was adaptive. It's actually an evolutionary extension of the capacity to engage in behavioral rituals, which can even be observed in geese. Any organism of sufficient mental development will develop rituals as a result of even a poor ability to link cause and effect. This is extremely adaptive, even with a high error rate, so it is passed on and selected for in future generations.

Now you've got rituals. Imagine you then develop complex communication, which is highly adaptive in social animals and strongly selected for (see all birds, wolf howls, whale song etc.). Add enough complexity, and Congratulations! You are now telling stories about your rituals, unlocking the most powerful form of meme propagation ever developed, religion. Now your grandkids will be sure not to eat those shellfish that killed your brother. Your ritual can now live beyond your memory and grow into a body of knowledge to help the tribe.

Attached: 1557720421607.jpg (1600x1600, 3.38M)

your nothing but an apparition in your own mind
and
ego loves the god bullshit!
religions are fairy tales like santa and easter bunnies - eastern religions are crap too. Buddhists are generally insufferable cunts.
get over yourselves
your a machine of infinitesimal value

>What's your opinion on Jacob's morality in regards to his brother Esau and God's endorsement of his behavior?
Now the old testament is something tricky to analize so i recognize the good question, but my opinion is that God was testing Esau and Jacob about the fomation of kings without title or honor you know, Jacob do his job, Esau in the other way failed at selling his own "honor"

>You are wrong in your fundamental assumption. It is not pluralistic perception of self that is pathological, but the monistic perception which leads to the most delusional and grotesque acts and attitudes.
Le fundamentalism meme, also you dont seem to visualize in what is based western values today.

>Now the old testament is something tricky to analize so i recognize the good question, but my opinion is that God was testing Esau and Jacob about the fomation of kings without title or honor you know, Jacob do his job, Esau in the other way failed at selling his own "honor"
That's actually a good interpretation, and it shows what God truly values (not what christcucks believe he does).

>Le fundamentalism meme
What fundamentalism meme? The assumption of the text in that post was that a pluralistic view of self is pathological. I disagree, I think that the monistic view is much more dangerous.

>also you dont seem to visualize in what is based western values today.
explain

>infinitesimal value

Think about the vastness of the Universe. Would it be different if you didn't exist?

>infinitesimal value

>christcucks
They are just subverted christhians, they want their own morality, but the true is that a good man is a slave of others, a noble act, but a moral one all the time.
>What fundamentalism meme? The assumption of the text in that post was that a pluralistic view of self is pathological. I disagree, I think that the monistic view is much more dangerous.
Nvm. Check out this video gives you a quick summary: youtube.com/watch?v=CMxzbOkSUCA

Im tired going to bed enjoy the night lads.

>but the true is that a good man is a slave of others, a noble act, but a moral one all the time.
yep, that's a christcuck
I sometimes think that weak people use the Bible as a crutch to act like cucks

Atheist Jow Forums oldfag here
>Why is Religion important?
People get complacent in life, while simultaneously get beaten down every single day. They just need something to believe in that's on their side. I was one for 25 years and still remember that feeling of someone being there when i need it. it's the same reason why children carry around items from their early years; it's comforting for their own reasons. But honestly, there isn't a coherent reason why people believe in God. I've been searching for it forever, and have yet to hear of a sound argument.
>Why is Religion so important
Because it's easier to think someone is helping you through the day, when in reality you're the one doing all the work. You're the one pushing and wading through all the shit. They've managed to build some tulpa-tier agent into their life because it, again, feels good. Then they reinforce this idea on sundays by going to church and hearing someone talk about this being like it exists, when in actuality there is nothing to even suggest he exists in the first place.
>Why do we seem to need it?
Because someone told us we need to. When you fear hell, you're going to tie yourself into this belief in a way that is hard to get away from as well. But if you honestly fear some action that's going to happen to you if you don't believe in a God who allegedly loves you, then you're at a parallel with people who live in abusive relationships. Figure your shit out people; do better.