Got recently promoted and i am now in charge of interviewing interns for my IT department, it's a first for me...

Got recently promoted and i am now in charge of interviewing interns for my IT department, it's a first for me, I need some advice, what are some red flags? What are some good questions to ask?

Attached: file.png (1000x667, 1010K)

If they are women or have a darker skin than yours, that's a big NO.

DUDE WEED -> Super retard

I used to work I.T. support for the Las Vegas strip. I felt so underqualified but lucked out with the position.
They had a 10question quiz for me at the interview - basic stuff like getting IP info or connecting a printer, and let me have access to Google for all of it.

Since you're already here on Jow Forums I think you know the biggest flag is personality.
Anyone under 30 just make sure they're sane.
Anyone over 30 better have credentials or prove their technology skills.
I'm being ageist but you get the idea. After I left that job the people that hung around with the young go-getters who worked harder than the rest of us

If "do their knowlegde support my knowledge" then pass for the next "how to follow instructions" and last "will they upset managment"

"Second examples" are a good way to catch red flags. Take anything from their resume and ask them to elaborate. They'll give you an example. Then say "Can you give me another example?" If they're lying, they can't. Most people don't think to prepare two lies. If they're telling the truth then they can usually come up with two similar situations.

Have a large paperweight on your desk, and throw it at their face (real hard) unexpectedly while they're in the middle of a sentence. If they catch it, hire them on the spot. If they dodge it, continue the interview. If they just get hit in the face like a slow-witted dumbass, tell them to get out and stop wasting your time. You need an intern who can think on his feet and roll with the punches.

>Why should I hire you?
Asked exactly as shown. It really throws people off for some reason. It makes them speak more to you as a person instead of what they bring to the company as a whole. So their mindset needs to change from being part if the total organization to their interpersonal relationship skills. Also makes them consider an upward comparison with other applicants.
>How much of your education did you personally finance?
This one is kind of a low blow but it definitely reveals insights into either work ethic or humility.
>What is 32*32?
Might be inappropriate for your field but you'd be amazed how many people cannot answer this question.
>Tell me about a time you failed/were unsuccessful
Gives you a look into how they handle crises and setbacks. You can follow up with "what did you learn from that experience?" If they don't volunteer that information.

Op ends up hiring a cocaine addicted ex professional baseball player.

Ask Reddit Sysadmin.

Biggest item is to get them to say "I don't know" and explain the process they'd go through to get to the point they do. If they can't say "I don't know" they will do so much f'in damage...

>I'm being ageist but you get the idea. After I left that job the people that hung around with the young go-getters who worked harder than the rest of us
Did anyone get that?

these are all pretty fucking retarded and don't really help with finding out if the candidate has the right skillset for the job. They're just some shit-tier brain teasers some manager will use to feel superior

They probably aren't going to have a whole lot of knowledge but as long as they're keen to learn and are good with adapting to change I think these are two of the best skills for interns/juniors to have

Yup that's the point cocksucker. If you can't answer "why should I hire you" you are unhirable. Next. Not here to ask about your hobbies and favorite foods

what insight into the candidate does a good answer give? If a good answer even exists

Why should I hire you?
You need someone to do a job that you likely can’t do yourself and you want someone to do it for free. So I suppose you’d hire anyone you think you can manipulate you lowlife knot.

How much of your education did you personally finance?
None of your business. I can tell you how much of my education will be financed by you since you want me to work for free and that a big fat zero. Kent.
What is 32x32
1024 - next
Tell me about a time where you failed/unsuccessful
Yeah cos you know you’re hiring interns to work for NOTHING and you still think you get to psycho-analyze candidates so you can play them later. But, hey let’s play, anyway ... we’ll there was this time I worked in an IT dept for an manipulative turd who thought he was god cos the HR dept said so, so I fuck up his network, downloaded a shit load of viruses and then bailed. So here I am.

Ask them if they meet the qualifications necessary to do the job which I assume you are hiring them to be able to do.

Attached: jobs.jpg (251x199, 15K)

Right, ask what is even a good a good answer, you'll get the usual "it depends"....

>You need someone to do a job that you likely can’t do yourself and you want someone to do it for free. So I suppose you’d hire anyone you think you can manipulate you lowlife knot.
We get it, you're unemployed.

OP here, where I live interns are paid, I don't know how you call them in English in that case. They are part in school part in enterprise environnement, so they usually use their salary to pay for their studies (to answer )

I think he meant: the people hung around

Not unemployed ... just pissed off with lowlife “experts” who advise asking personally intrusive questions for a junior level job. What’s wrong with the process where the OP follows the following procedure:

OP: we need somebody to do job X
Candidate: I can do job X, here’s proof.
OP: ok, pay is this, hours are that. Be polite get it done and we’re good.
Candidate: OK, I’m good with that.
OP: great, see you Monday

Ok... in US “ intern “ means unpaid ( or paid really low wage). Trainee would imply being paid. Anyway, my beef was with th hiring “expert” and the BS questions, designed to make a potentially skilled feel like sh*t, just so s/he can feel superior.