Martial Arts

What is real and what is useless in martial arts?

I was part of the International Taekwondo Alliance when I was a kid. It was what you might call a McDojo. I became a senior 2nd degree black belt and I believe I legitimately am a better fighter for it, but I always knew that a good bit of it was just BS. Is there still a reason to learn the BS anyways? Or is there a "redpilled" way of approaching martial arts?

Attached: tiger-rock.jpg (640x424, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sDrNOiHtAzI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, I'm a purple belt in BJJ and I tell you, the training in that sport is real, you feel like your brain, lungs and limp nodes are about to explode, but at the end of training it everything feels much better, but too keep this rhythim in my level you have to train 5 to 6 times a week, at least after your 9-5 job..

If you watch mma you see a lot of old school martial aryarts s are legit (karate and tae kwon do). You have to learn other things though.
If you cant wrestle, and guard against bjj, you cant compete at a high level.
Boxing is useful but not required if you are legit in tae kwon do.
Basic wrestling and bjj are required.

Through my experience kickboxing/BJJ are the best and worth it.

Muay thai, krav maga (unironically) and BJJ are all generally legit. Cant go wrong with kickboxing either.

I really want to learn BJJ. There is a place in my town.

Basically what MMA fighters train in. Boxing, wrestling, muay thai, BJJ, etc. are all legit.

>karate, tae-kwon-do, "one-finger death punch meme fighting"
Shit.
>U.S. Marine Corps Combatives
Stomp your enemies into salsa.

For you ground game, BJJ and for you top game, it can be boxing, muay thai, etc..or just BJJ..I work 45 hours a week, I'm stressed out and I only have time for BJJ..

Any trained fighter in a recognized martial art will beat an untrained fighter head to head. In self defense, most criminals aren't trained in anything.

it becomes a life style once you hit purple belt, their is no going back, many quit a blue..purple and brown..I see them come and go were I train.

Muay Thai, Boxing, Krav Maga, BJJ, Wrestling, is what everyone in this thread will say. But I will tell you, Tai Chi is the only real martial art, followed by JKD.

The problem with most martial arts is that they fall into three categories
>Martial arts developed because weapons were illegal/restricted to peasants (e.g., karate)
>Modern martial arts developed for competitions and exercise (e.g., taekwondo)
>Actual combat arts (e.g., some but not all types of kung fu, krav maga)

The first type sucks on purpose because they didn't have real weapons and were meant to be easy to learn by peasants.
The second type sucks because they are just sports like wrestling or boxing or football. Sure, it's impressive to be good at them, but you're not a badass and would probably get your ass kicked by a sufficiently strong drunk guy who has no idea what he's doing.
The third type is fine, but unpopular because they're actual combat arts.

Attached: 2b95c63dc8017dd10b891678b9c9de9c.jpg (960x539, 65K)

In their original forms it all works, really. Wong dong or whoever didn't invent shitty Kung Fu on the battlefield ages ago, it worked, it just got diluted over time.

Bareknuckle boxing is up there for the best, the proper stuff, had chokes, eye gouges, throws, all kinds. Superior in a fight to modern '''boxing'''' but not practiced much anymore. Not gyppo boxing, proper pugilism.

BJJ is FavelaJJ, learn NipponJJ if you're going to.

Attached: Bareknuckle facing off.jpg (800x502, 74K)

I did Tae Kwon Do as an adolescent. Unironically was a very positive influence on my life, it emphasized discipline, resect (especially for your parents/elders), etc. Was also in phenominal shape, routinely placed at or near the top of physical fitness tests in school.

I don't know if I'll claim that it makes you some badass fighter. But there are a lot of benefits beyond just learning how to defend yourself, at least with the ATA in my experience.

BJJ / Boxing . The most effective style, aka shoot boxing. Just look at the legends of MMA, battle tested and proven styles:
Fedor Emelienko, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Kabib Nurmagomedov, Jose Aldo, Georges St Pierre.

Look at all these guys in their prime. The best of the sport ever.

A thing many martial arts leave out for understandable reasons: savagery. Eye pokes groin shots biting, there are no rules life or death.

Personally I train Iaido. It’s not immediately practical but it’s the best martial art by faaaaar.

>combatives meme

Combatives are a way to instill confidence in a bunch of idiots by training them for a few weeks. Real skill in fighting takes years. I'd take on a top tier (((combatives))) expert before a champion boxer I'll tell you that.

>kikeboxing

Attached: 1558064960682.png (500x805, 237K)

>not doing HEMA

OH SAY CAN YOU SEE

Honestly boxing is GOAT. Throw in Wrestling for some ground moves/defense and Muay Thai to capitalize on very brutal knee and elbow strikes. Throw in basic Judo for easy throws when needed.

Thats it.

If there is a MMA place near you then do that since it will cover punches elbows knees and takedown stuff. Or if there is Krav Maga (jewish shit but legit) do that since its real world fighting stuff no flashy competition dojo shit that wouldnt work in the real world.

>What is real
.380 ACP
>and what is useless
nothing is useless

I am starting to like JUDO, I'm a purple belt in BJJ and it looks like JUDO goes hand in hand with BJJ.

I've not quite managed (yet) to get to black belt (sword art), not sure if I ever will. There's a lot of good reasons to pursue a MA - fitness, some degree of companionship, etc. If you're younger it might instill some sense of respect in you that you might otherwise be lacking. A good master can push you to a point which you personally thought was out of reach for you, physically and mentally.

It's not for everyone I guess, but I can't really see many downsides of joining a proper dojo/dojang. If you're a hotshot teenage fag who thinks that going to a karate school makes you an ultimate badass and allow you to beat up people .. a proper master will smack that shit right outta you, or better, not even allow you to attend.

>A thing many martial arts leave out for understandable reasons:
Various general combat techniques. They're sports, not anything actually martial. Show me a martial art that has all of the following and isn't something actually developed by or for actual soldiers:
>throws
>pins
>locks
>takedowns
>punches
>kicks
>any melee weapon usage
Judo and BJJ are cousins. They're both modern takes on traditional combat techniques, sanitized until any gymrat can do them.

>boxing is goat
This.

Almost every BJJ guy will tell you that “every street fight goes to the ground”. But that is just because untrained dunk dudes fall into each other. A trained boxer knows how to manage space, punch hard, and slip punches. Can’t beat that in a random encounter.

Gif related

Attached: D82C693B-52AB-4762-BA38-6D517307E34C.gif (334x251, 2.98M)

Not a great example, user. That dude knocks both of those guys to the ground and then doesn't go down himself because he still has the other guy to worry about. What is the advantage in a one on one on letting the other guy stand up again so you can show off your boxing technique? Real men stomp throats.

What the actual fuck, 2nd degree black belt as a kid? Talk about Mcdojo of the Mcdojos. And when it comes to taekwondo, only applicaple thing within it is roundhouse and back kicks if you ask me. I did taekwondo for a decade and every belt exam was whole bunch of sparring with the examiners who were always black belts and you really had to your promotions. Since then i've switched to muay thai and it has way more applicable techniques for self defense than taekwondo does. Love to watch olympic taekwondo but it's a sport. There are few other martial arts that are way more useful if you are looking to become proficient at self defense or fighting in general.

This guy’s punches are soft , they get straight back up

>krav maga
um no user, just no

Also taekwondo, did several years at a mcdojo, moved to a dojang another student started that was basically the kobra kai of tkd. No, nothing other than the kicking drills has any merit, though I believe the advanced flashy kicks are largely useless being proficient at them will make your basic kicks considerably better.
Kickboxing, muay thai, both are what tae kwon do could be without all the goofy patterns and just focusing on actually hitting shit.

He doesn’t even do any real damage. I remember the full video. Both guys look unharmed and start chasing after the boxer before the camera cuts out

because at a certain point it gets pretty fucking old, hugging sweaty dudes on the ground

Paying a jew hundred of dollars to instruct you in the jewish art of kicking someone in the balls and poking them in the eyes... I'll pass.

All those spinning flip kicks are fun to learn and teach you a fuck ton of muscle control.

Lmao thinking that learning an arm bar, triangle, and some sweeps and drilling them for a few weeks imparts any amount of practical fighting skill.

Yup, definitely fun and I agree, if you can do a 540 jump backspin you'll be that much more proficient at a basic backspin. It takes an incredible freak to pull one of those trick kicks off once in his entire career in the cage though.

That's why you train both, or train BJJ with strikes. I'm a BJJer but put the gloves on now and again, rudimentary boxing will suffice if you have good grappling. If you've never thrown a punch though you're gonna get merked by a hopped up pisshead throwing haymakers.

I really like this post

>what is real
what can be used practically for either self-discipline, more powerful strikes, and fighting in general
>what is not
just about everything else(especially points based sparring; can be fun but serves no practical purpose ultimately because irl fighting there is no referee)

>Brazilian JJ
>Legit Kung Fu
>Army & Marines GFT Ground Fighting Tactics
>Boxing/ Kick Boxing

>Wrestling
>Taekwondo
>Capoeira

You'd have to be stupid to try to pull that off in MMA match, sure it can yield a good result if the opponent is completely unaware and dumb as a mule but with bad luck that can be the end of match for you. I've seen a fair share of spinning backs with mad acrobatics yield good results in TKD matches but in MMA that would be a death sentence with astronomically higher likelyhood since the sport is that much more brutal.

Martial arts are not useful bro. Are you gonna spend thousands of dollars and thousands of hours for the rare chance that someone attacks you?

Not a good time investment. I teach BJJ and work at my gym. Always have a good laugh at all these people joining with their autistic fight fantasies.

Anyways, BJJ is extremely fun. Obviously some martial arts are more fake than others. We have 2 people on our MMA team who are high level TKD people. Definitely a positive. However, Muay Thai probably would have been better.

>BJJ is FavelaJJ, learn NipponJJ if you're going to.
Lol, BJJ has two main lineages. The Gracie lineage is like BJJ for middle/upper class. Their family owned a circus - definitely knew how to market. The other lineage is the favela lineage.

Attached: 72c.jpg (600x450, 19K)

Like I said, super freak and one chance over his career. There are only a handful of action movie kick knockouts in the ring.

Get a punching bag and learn basic jabs, hooks, uppercuts, elbows, knees and kicks. Learn to do various kicks to opponent's kneecaps. Grappling basics are a must too. At last, always remember that gravity is king; slamming an opponent from a minimum 4ft above ground, landing on their head (with your weight on top of them) is fucking brutal.

> taekwondo and karate useful
> boxing not required
Yep you’ve never been in a fight.

Grappling/wrestling are the most useful in terms of being practical. Boxing is good mental conditioning. MMA is good but sucks when it.comes to dealing with weapons or anything outside the sport.

i want to start some kind of martial arts. Which is better, kung fu, taekwondo, muay thai, karate, boxing, or krav maga?

Boxing

Authentic Krav Maga classes are taught by jews, so you're obviously going to be taught wrong and the 'style' is just boxing+grappling/wrestling anyway.

Ask an Okanowan.

Attached: HohanSoken.jpg (420x230, 79K)

Yeah, I did taekwondo for a decade and pure tkd gyms do not teach hands. Plus I dont think the other guy watched any of the old UFC's because all the guys who just only done sparring in their own arts ended up great crushed.

Really? I thought boxing was the simplest martial art, aiming more for raw physical strenght and endurance than technique

If MMA sucks against weapons then everything sucks against weapons. Don't fight somebody brandishing a weapon.

There is a reason the USA Navy chose Shoren-Ryu.

Attached: FuseiKise.jpg (360x504, 141K)

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: modern version of Japanese jiu-jitsu, revolutionized by the Gracies who then issued a world-wide challenge from fighters of all walks of life - and then, won said challenge. Enough said.

Muay Thai: uses all relevant limbs to inflict severe damage. Developed for war, and to achieve the greatest amount of result in the shortest amount of time.

Combine those two and you come a fucking beast within one year of serious training in each. Impossible to lose to anyone NOT formally trained in combat.

Also, taek kwon do, kung fu, and American karate are literally shit. Traditional, serious karate only yields results after many months of serious training.

Kid teir martial arts might not be practical for fighting but a good dojo would instill disiprin in the students. Which can be useful. Its also a confidence builder to get punched in the face a few times.

Taekwondo is a sport...with rules...that done often/wont apply in a street fight. Having said that you will have a massive advantage over most people having practiced and engaged in combat on a sporting level. I studied mainly Chinese martial arts which is largely based on feudal battlefield combat and found that it also gave me an edge...even if it meant getting my face battered while pulling off some movie quality shit on the way out.

Attached: df97800a19ffc347d6687230c8cbf1e3bb6c4b143b2962f1cce0e784eb3435e0.jpg (491x720, 85K)

Only MMA is applicable nowdays

>real men stomp throats.
Easy with that edge

Attached: IMG_0312.jpg (396x495, 101K)

Is bollocks against multiple opponents, like every fight outside the octogon

Lol bjj is fucking laughable in any situation outside a ring with no rules.

Not simplest by any means, possibly the purest since all the focus is on hands and footwork. All your attention is focused on perfecting that hand technique and movement, rather than trying to learn a couple dozen kicks when you'll never use more than 3 or 4

boxing is simple and effective for the vast majority of violent encounters. should be shit simple to find a boxing gym anywhere.

Train a form of striking, weapons and grappling. Study all martial arts even if you do not train them. Stay fit and make sure every move is an attempt to finish your enemy.

>better fighter for it, but I always knew that a good bit of it was just BS
TKD has its ups and downs. The biggest issue is that it's just not practical in a real fight. The other major problem is that they teach you bad fighting form. Check out TKD kicking demos on YT. Most of them, even masters, will drop their arms every time they kick. It generates more torque but leaves you wide open if the kick misses. In fact, you probably do it too and don't realize it. I found out the hard way when a Hapkido master kicked me in the teeth 4 times in a row.

That being said, the best things you can do for yourself when honing a personal self defense system is to limit your techniques and use what works for you. If you are 6'8" 400lbs, then there's no way in hell you should be interested in learning how to do a 360 jump spinning heel kick. Concentrate on things that capitalize on your strong base and learn effective front kicks to the gut and good face strikes. You would also benefit from using holds and grabs since you will almost always have a strength advantage.

You know what techniques come naturally to you and what you struggle with. You know that crescent kicks to the face will probably get your balls ripped off by a street fighter, not to mention how weak of a kick it is.

Bruce lee had the best idea. Simple, economical, direct. Emphasizing defense constantly while always being in a state of being coiled like a spring prepared to let loose on an opponent. The best thing you have to your advantage as a trained martial artist is an advantage in defense. You can easily block and evade wild, swinging attacks from most people and even dodge most attacks from boxers, mma people, etc. All you have to do is be a complete fighter, one who has the tools that best suits their own body type, philosophy and other things, is to hone your striking techniques. Keep them simple and direct. There's much more to explore but this will get you started thinking.

Don't know why everyone thinks boxing is easy/simple. Go and try it. It's effective but it's not easy or simple. I guess watching experts makes it look easy, bur trust me ... It's not

The good thing with boxing is that you can do sparring and learn to take punches in the face. I did some karate before and in alot of styles you cant punch in the face.

Notice the picture to illustrate my point about keeping your guard up. Both the guy's arms are down and nowhere near protecting his face or torso. I could sidestep that kick and he'd be carrying his face home in a doggy bag after he woke up.

Do wrestling, than boxe this is the core of everything else,
Oriental martial arts were packaged and sold like candies to moms that didn't wanted their kids hurt. Sure, the techniques are there, but the training is... to put it simply a waste of time.
To be a decent (decent = self defence against untrained of your weight) kicker you need 1-2 years of training, to be a decent puncher you need 1-2 months.Sure kick are good but they comes later and only if you are really intersted in it, not the basis.
Full stop.
Unless you want to train 4 hours per day.

Most of what you said is correct, but the last part is pretty hyperbolic. You get out of any traditional martial art what you put into it if you have realistic view of fighting and enough brain cells to know what techniques dont work in real life.
>t. Someone who spent years in a taekwondo mcdojo but moved to another dojang who's teacher beat the muay thai instructor of fargos ACA in the cage

youre fucking retarded my dude

Krav Maga is just repackaged women's self defense. Its a joke and not even on the same plane as BJJ or Muay Thai.

I'm 47 years old, is it too late to start? If no, which martial art would suit my age?

youtube.com/watch?v=sDrNOiHtAzI
>China, TKD retards piss off workers of the gym near by
>They act cocky and provoke them
>The workers, totally untrained, beat the shit out of them.

You're replying to the wrong guy.

the single greatest decision i ever made was to start bjj. go in with a good attitude (which is: you're there to learn, not beat people up) and you'll soon be surrounded by excellent, high quality people.

just accept that you're going to get beat up for awhile, there's nothing you can do about it. just relax and take it slow.

Good advice. Most street fights end up on the floor after a few seconds. Then you have to protect your head from the 5 other guys who suddenly get the courage to jump in.

Oh, and another very helpful thing most system won't teach you: When you do the traditional step and punch defense, where someone will step and punch, you slide to the inside, block the arm, and that leaves them open to your counterattack. Instead, train yourself to move to the outside, so that when you angle in and trap the punching arm, you are now behind the person, where you can most decidedly fuck them up without them being able to do shit about it. That opens them up to easy pull-downs, chokes, you name it. It is also very effective against people wielding weapons. Makes them easier to disarm without you taking a bullet or a knife cut. They could even manage to squeeze off a couple rounds but you're now behind them.

jeet kune do is not a martial art that you can learn. it was merely an expression of martial arts that Bruce Lee used for himself. There's going to be some carry over, but everyone is good (and bad) at different things. If you read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do you would know this, since he spells it out in plain english. in fact, he talks about it in almost every book and scribbles he ever wrote and can be purchased.

Never to late. Try a few styles out, if it doesn't suit you move on...and keep moving on until you find the right style and more importantly, the coach/master/sifu who you can work with.

I have no knowledge of martial arts.
Is an emphasis on chin-na viable? It seems like anything with such an emphasis on parrying (probably not being the best way to word it) would be one of the greater martial forms for someone who just wants to mind their own business/defend themselves while being able to build themselves physically.
Anyone?

Attached: DDCFF5BC-0777-41C7-B2D6-3B2D4230D4A2.jpg (698x698, 312K)

best way to defend yourself is to knock the other person into a coma before they swing at you

Most martial arts taught well, will first teach you how to get out of a violent situation with the least effort

YOU FUCKING RUN AGAINST MULTIPLE OPPONENTS! There is no mitigating that situation with fighting. One blindsided knockout strike, just to be soccer kicked to the head afterwards, is what awaits.

Hohan Sokan was in his laye 80's in that pic i posted and Master Kisei in his late 70's in those pictures.
t. oldfag

Attached: Watch.jpg (200x275, 11K)

>knowledge
First real lesson I learned was having the courage to shove someone over and run for the door before it went 'live'. Later I learned to stay and dance with the fucker

Because they're stupid?

Couldn't agree more

real martial arts gives you the ability to be vigilant and confident in everyday scenarios. The best martial art is one that doesn't involve any fighting. if you can diffuse the situation with words then that's the most efficient and best martial art. subduing your opponent with minimal effort is really the key. Not being a mark is going to go a lot further than any sort of physical technique. When you're confident and aware you'll be put at the bottom of the list to be fucked with.

BJJ will give all of that to you because after a few months you'll understand just how bad most people are at grappling when you see walk-ins come and go.

if you have to get physical, BJJ is awful unless it's one on one. and life rarely throws that kind of shit at you. especially around niggers, so Boxing and Muay Thai would be where its at. and then if you're really lazy, just get a concealed carry permit and git gud at the range. no Jacky Chan is going to stop a bullet.

So you are saying that if you know a Martial Art you are as likely to get beat up by multiple opponents as someone who knows nothing?

There's no mitigating fighting multiple people, and I doubt a britbong has any practical understanding of the matter.
Only by knowing the basics of, let's say, boxing, will give a better chance against one or multiple opponents.

If you know MMA, you CAN beat multiple opponents given you are facing untrained people and are able to act fast, before you get tired.

want to know whats real
want to know whos best
look up Master Ken
the Art of Bullshitdo
enjoy

Attached: 1558237931032.jpg (1024x840, 50K)

krav

Yeah start grappling with a guy. While you're giving him a struggle cuddle his buddy kicks your skull in.

Krav maga just takes all of the martial arts and puts it together in an easy to digest way. It's also extremely not self-defensive.

All martial arts can be effective. TKD, BJJ, fucking Tai Chi. All that it requires is that you get fit, you get fast, you learn to take punches, you learn to fall, you learn to defend yourself on the ground, and most importantly, your gym regularly engages in sparring and doesn't overemphasize compliant drills.

What is real in martial arts? Go to a gym and spar. Regularly. You'll learn what works. If your teacher or coach or whatever doesn't want you to practice what works in your sparring matches, leave. If you're the best fighter there, leave.

Any other response posted in this thread is nothing more than circlejerking and cultlike style worship.

>running

Attached: 1552241555582__01.png (369x474, 237K)

Let me tell you a story about when I was a young kung fu and aikido student. I would drill the chin-na over and over again in my gym. When I got into a bad situation, I tried to use it. No response from the opponent on a standing wrist lock. The second that I tried curling up their arm to lock the shoulder or elbow, they'd struggle and get out of it. I would try to do those aikido throws and the second any struggle happened, it would fail.

"Grab my wrist. No, not that way." If you hear that in a gym or dojo, leave. It's a waste of your time. If your gym doesn't spar actively, if the punches and kicks don't hurt, if your sparring partners leave their hands out to be grabbed after throwing a punch, it is a waste of time. Literally gymnastics is better and will teach you better footwork, at least.

You make a good point. Most fighting sports are almost always one on one and don't accommodate for multiple attacks. You will always have the edge having been in that situation multiple times and not shitting your pants when it goes off.

Also, the style I practiced...as I said ... Was based on feudal battlefields and from the offset was based on fighting multiple opponentt. Beginners start kick sparring against 3 or more people from the start. It's the difference between a sport and a fighting art

The red pilled way to approach martial art is train to be a warrior not a performer, i.e. don't waste your time training discipline/techniques that only work in a cage with rules/refs if you're training to make yourself more useful in the moment of truth or general self defense. All these guys naming MMA greats as examples to justify whatever they want you to train, remember MMA competition isn't real life. When they fight it's way safer than what happens in self defense scenario and they are guaranteed only one opponent of relatively equal size/weight coming for them. You do what makes sense for you as far as your body type, height, strength, weapons you carry (you're American my nigger you should have a CCW if you live in a real state) and don't limit yourself to one mindset. You think you are lacking something you sorely need in your arsenal, find a place to train that's different where you can develop it. Also before anyone gets asshurt I'm not dissing MMA fighters, I'm a big fan with a shit ton of pride and older ufc tapes/dvds. I'm just saying you got to separate the sport from the reality.

>The best martial art is one that doesn't involve any fighting
That's the stupidiest thing I heard about martial arts in a while.
Martial arts are about being able to effectively inflict violence with your body. That's all there is to it.
All the philosophy and mind exercise shit are means to make you better at not losing control over yourself, which is essential to those who want act violent effectively.