Off grid living /general/

For those who dont know what off grid living is, aka reddit retards, off grid = being power, gas, and water independent

Where are the best places in the world to live off grid? Please dont say midwest us it has the shittiest winters, unless if you dont mind freezing to death.
What are the cheapest places in the world to buy land?
Also crops and schemas to make your own solar panels
What composters work best to make your own methane?

Attached: 1541938256349.jpg (1456x1039, 374K)

Other urls found in this thread:

permies.com/t/16261/Mollison-Trompe-alternative-energy
youtu.be/Bhyi1DjGti8
rexresearch.com/schaub2/SchaubergerEnergyEvolution.pdf
realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/62-Mesa-Viento_Cerrillos_NM_87010_M17924-40891
realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/140-Via-Sol-Estrella_Cerrillos_NM_87010_M12609-35002
youtu.be/65iPXBoO5MM
youtu.be/ctNYaHJPAF4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>pic
When biodiversity collapses.

best thing I ever invested in
based on a lecture I saw about permaculture...a trompe,

A compressed air producing apparatus

Attached: trompe.jpg (404x399, 16K)

Oh disregard this Shit that's cold as shit. I will definitely be getting one of those when I buy land

It really is great because it doubles as a well for underground water and can be used to power any pneumatic tool you can imagine.
It also serves as air conditioning for people that live in very warm climates. You can even produce ice with it

Needs to be at a depth of about 20-25m,,,if you go too deep the pressure will be too extreme.

How much did it cost?

Northern AZ near Flagstaff or Wyoming. I always felt having a sailboat off any major coast is another great off grid living situation. Live off Catalina island, surprisingly not as expensive as you think. Also for on the cheap, buy a good RV. Spend like 20k on one. If you work a decent job, you could have it paid off in a year or less, then save money until you are ready to buy a plot of land. It's just most decent jobs are near cities. There are a million different ways to do it. It just depends on how much capital you have and how much you're bringing in.

about 5000$US in total

That's cheap

it is when you consider the applications for a device like this.

It provides refrigeration as well as compressed air power.
I am having an engineer friend develop a compressed air turbine to make electricity LOL
It really is the best option if one wishes to go off grid.

The applications are endless. Essentially free energy

indeed...it is up to your imagination.
If you have scuba diving in your area you can even fill tanks.
It is crazy shit

check out this website, lots of designs and great ideas for small/medium sized crop processing and other applications. I've used their plans to make a few projects

practicalaction(dot)org

Cool thanks bud

permies.com/t/16261/Mollison-Trompe-alternative-energy
More info on trompes

no worries, my pleasure.
Check out the screw press to make nut oils. Thing works like a charm, makes wonderful cold pressed oil.

thanks for the link!
more people need to get trompes

check /out/, they have a offgrid general

I have been looking around Albuquerque,NM in the regions 30 miles to the east there is decent mesa land where many off grind homes exist and many lots of land are for sale... some that exist have large cisterns and photovoltaic panels in place along with propane tanks and of course wood burning stoves... wells are possible but expensive. I missed out on this place but it was on 10 acres at site related and sold last years for $135,000 but the thing is these places are all cash only because being "off-grid" banks don't find them attractive risks and so won't lend for them.

Attached: nm.jpg (1020x644, 138K)

If in a place like this you were to install a trompe you could use it to produce clean water...maybe combine it in a way like those water harvesting billboards in peru.

Most of the time it's in such a remote area that the owners are willing to finance so they can get rid of it

something like pic related
They produce 96L a day from the dry ass air

Attached: 1-1.jpg (329x219, 35K)

>nestled by a mountain on three sides
That looks pretty fucking sweet. Can you get enough water to plant anything there though? And doesn't look like it can sustain trees for the wood stove.

Solar Sterling engines, wiggers

I would prefer to invest in a Schauberger home generator

Attached: schauberger_diagram.gif (284x374, 20K)

How does it work?

I don't know what is this ayy lmao thing.
And this too:

youtu.be/Bhyi1DjGti8

imagine the smell

>propane
You can build a methane digester for less then $3000 and be completely gas independent

by "vortex" energy, it is pretty fucking cool...and it works.

you can download the PDF here
rexresearch.com/schaub2/SchaubergerEnergyEvolution.pdf

if you have not read about this guy, you must, You can find his books online.
His material is essential reading if you want to go off grid. His techniques for growing crops is beyond amazing.

the link you sent is based on Schauberger.
If you have not read his books, you will fucking love them.

I think you'd need a well to be growing much there..
realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/62-Mesa-Viento_Cerrillos_NM_87010_M17924-40891

this is the old listing and the pic shows the cisterns ... you can get water hauled there by tankers and it catches rainfall.. a previous listed stated the exact volume of the tanks I think it was around 2,000 gallons total... so for toilet, shower and wink its ok and buying bottles water for drinking is easy. The ground water in that region is "hard" so filtration would be required if you did sink a well but this is another similar situation near that with a well. realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/140-Via-Sol-Estrella_Cerrillos_NM_87010_M12609-35002

its small and unfinished but plummed and wired to the solar and well pump.. I spoke to the realtor and he suggested a nother room would be a good idea off the large opening on the back wall perhaps for a bedroom. It seems to have been taken off the active listings but isn't showing as sold so maybe the builder is finishing it so it might sell.

Attached: cisterns.jpg (1020x765, 101K)

I considered digging into some hills there , shoring them up and creating caves where you could house goats and chickens for milk, cheese, eggs and m meat.. maybe sheep I don't know if its too hot... .. I prefer animal foods to plants anyway but growing some hot chilies, herbs, garlic and onions would seem feasible with just those tanks.. you can always add more tanks too. I would prefer them sunk into the ground also to keep them from freezing in Winters which can get well below freezing.

Anyone have advice for land? I have a cheap Winnebago and my job allows me to fly from anywhere in the country. Would prefer to live near Utah, Colorado, northern NM, or very southern Wyoming.

I live south of there. Are you looking through Hemingway land or landsofamerica?

My problem with out there is the water. Doesn't rain a lot.

You can buy a well drilled for $2k

very based

Attached: 13728906752.gif (640x406, 365K)

bump

Attached: 1473916427691.jpg (1456x1869, 667K)

Attached: 1531973323503.jpg (2048x2048, 1.01M)

I used to be scared of bees until I saw this dudes video. Seem pretty docile. Although the dude is obviously a professional
youtu.be/65iPXBoO5MM

>Muh sick shit.
This is why we Americans want to give you independence.

youtu.be/ctNYaHJPAF4
Dude removes the biggest hives shirtless

Roasties get the braapp farm first

bruh

Attached: bee yourself.jpg (914x1091, 141K)

bump

Attached: Kek has reached warp fact(...).jpg (540x694, 291K)

start growing shit

Attached: JustListen.jpg (640x471, 155K)

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1920x1080, 148K)

I don't want to give away exact town names, but the cattle ranching areas of the Southwest US are definitely the best place for off-gridding. Tons of natural fresh water, loads and loads of game ranging from Turkey to Elk, forests, caves, and mountains. Best area for sure.

Thanks user.

What kind of prices for land?

What size land is needed and/or common?

How much money on top of land price will I need to get going?

How hard is it to be profitable (or at least cover expenses), or is it more of a retirement type goal?

How hard is off griding in terms of skills? I'm a pleb with no farm or country background, but want to pick it all up as I go.

Attached: 45433034084_2febe0102c_c.jpg (800x640, 107K)

>I'm a pleb with no farm or country background, but want to pick it all up as I go.
Same here

Attached: GreenVersion.png (582x481, 30K)

>trompe
what do you use the compressed air for?

thank you man

See

I am lucky enough to live in a state that lets me collect my own rainwater, and I am looking towards setting up some hydro/aquaponics with it

In some States you cannot collect rainwater? How would they know?

Oops forgot my pic

Attached: 2500_gallon_water_tank_200_green.jpg (200x200, 6K)

Not sure, it comes up in fluoride threads

Someone put a lot of effort into that brap barn meme.

Sweet. How much did it cost?