Who is responsible for this?

Who is responsible for this?

Attached: antique.png (924x802, 1.5M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Qn8F6VgT7PA
bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-02-28/homeownership-rate-hits-an-almost-5-year-high-as-gen-x-returns
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Supply and demand. Our homes are full of stuff already.

There was plenty of shit from Eastern Europe, also people die and their offspring doesn't value their old shit anymore so the market gets flooded

I like it, good shit for good value

Just blame it on Millennials like everything else, you stupid boomer.

Millennials

Both boomers and millenials deserve a rope.
T.Zoomer.

Just saying there's something counterintuitive about "190 year old desk is five times as valuable as 205 year old desk"

>people dont want someones trash
its not a hard concept.

There is more "antique" than ever
People who want antique are shrinking in number since you don't exactly buy antique for your billion dollar retail closet or your moms basement and boomers are dying off left and right so people who do have homes have bunch of junk coming to them already which they often just sell off as antiques

Everyone is broke and buying used junk at inflated prices isnt a high priority?

Boomers stopped wasting money on useless old trinkets.
/thread

testing

Good for people like me. I love antiques and take part on auctions constantly. Actually have a beautiful statue of a man holding his kid up in the air.

Craigslist exists and I can get furniture delivered to my door that isn't made of MDF or particleboard for extremely cheap.

20 years ago, the prices of antiques was skyrocketing. The boomers are downsizing, retiring and dying. Their kids already have houses and cant fill their houses with their parents shit. So all that shit goes to dealers or consignment where it joins the other shit gen x doesnt want to inherit from their parents. Gen X isnt interested very much in antiques their parents purchased, but might keep something that their great grandparents actually owned and used

Common sense

Don't know about across the sea but over here 9/10 times "antique" furniture will be better built and last longer than the equivalent modern version for same price

Me. I directly control the price of antiques from my home. Its the only thing i have please dont take it away fron me.

>self identifying zoomer
99% you are a millennial

I love antiques and take part on auctions constantly.

Actually have a beautiful statue of a man holding his kid up in the air.

Younger gens have no interest in anything or anyone before their own time. Greatest gen was the same way when "modern" was popular.
And why buy one good table that lasts a lifetime, when you can buy a new IKEA one every few years?

also, link?

Attached: The-Garden-Of-Earthly-Delights-Panel-3.jpg (1000x2445, 760K)

If it ain't in a thrift store then I'm not buying your overpriced furniture and miscellanea

This, check out local estate sales.

You'll be amazed at how much antique stuff there is out there for sale. It all has history, but no one can afford it and those who would buy it are dwindling in numbers.

Who has space for all this stuff?

Who wants a $30,000 lampshade that might get broken during a dinner party or burn your house down?

The market is drying up unless the items are super special.

Attached: 1558504687816.png (1200x1200, 1.22M)

>millennials can't buy houses because they don't have $1million+ or half a million for a crack house in the middle of no where

No house, no need to buy old furniture or any at all.

Attached: ארץ ישראל.jpg (600x951, 168K)

Attached: 201963221.jpg (2149x3014, 2.23M)

Consider the 1911, a truly modern firearm, is over 100 years old.
Shit from 2019-100 was just built better than shit built in 2004-100

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 2.56.14 am.png (1450x612, 195K)

Who made it? Signed/marked?

Literally supply and demand.

Demand has shrunk due to low level of home ownership. You dont buy antique furniture for a home you dont own. You buy simple disposable furniture that you will have no problem parting with.

Supply has steadily increased as there have been no major wars or catastrophes to wipe out stock, while more stuff is continuously added to it from people selling off their deceased parents/grandparents' shit.

The market here is fucked, everyone trying to make a buck is selling anything that their grand/parents bought as "antique"
They're trying to pass off slightly above ikea tier desk their grandpa bought 60 years ago and took care as an antique when it's really worth more as firewood.

Don't remember who made it, but I got it for about 50 usd. It's nothing of extreme value. I just liked it. Wanna have children one day and do that!

well at least American Pickers show still going strong. Still has ratings. People are interested in the value of old stuff, When those old boomer customers die off the kids will continue the hobby. Seen it all the time.

When you are 50 years old, "antique" takes on a slightly different meaning.

Attached: 1950s-dinette.jpg (500x338, 40K)

It depends are you Jewish? This kind of power shouldn't be in the hands of the goyim. If not my friend will have to come into your market. Let him, otherwise there will be trouble. Understood?

>2010
>Every millennial hipster and boomers pretending to be interesting buy every "antique" because of fashion.
>Even the tv gets flooded with shows about collecting, restoring and buying retro stuff.
>Most pieces are not actually antiques but old overpriced junk.
>Current year, people moved into a different trend and the antiques market is gone.

Inheritance tax? Less upward-mobility? Home ownership rates? Changing tastes?

Stuff back then was built well but we're well past the point where CNC machining has surpassed old techniques.

The issue is the push for constantly cheaper and cheaper products and the demand for stable employment that means putting out things that are good enough to be competitive but not so good as to prevent repeat customers, all while staying affordable.

As far as firearm manufacturing, we're pretty well into the golden age for guns.

Attached: yinyang.png (260x260, 6K)

I don't understand why all the immigrants who bought up the houses don't want to buy all my overpriced antiques? I thought they were our friends..

youtu.be/Qn8F6VgT7PA

I want that phonograph

Attached: 1559940505671.jpg (500x750, 133K)

>occupy sinai
>give it back a few years later
how generous.

>be on plebbit
>Jow Forumswellworn
>people literally DM people that post old goods wanting to buy them because they'd rather buy the character found in an old leather belt/wallet etc than have to create it themselves.

This is the true reality of the instagram influencer age.

Purchased character.

Attached: 1558829973151.jpg (356x374, 56K)

Map even jews things up further if you look at the actual borders which again seem to be grabbing more land than what they had few years ago

imagine having an antique store when were on the cusp of the boomer die off.

Boomer deaths, and I hope it continues. I bet these antique cucks make fun of the Amish and don't realize they're the exact same just on a smaller scale. Stop living in the past. People have spent lifetimes engineering better stuff and all you can say is "b-but muh history!".

>lol everything made today breaks
Yeah, cheap shit from China does break easily. You created this situation where everything on a store shelf is shit by always buying from them. Do a little research for once in your worthless boomer life and you'll find there's quality, lasting items in all categories if you pay a little more and order online or find a quality custom store near you.

>Their kids already have houses
You mean live in an apartment with 3 room mates

It's a few factors. It's partially what said, this is compounded with the fact that millennials are big on the idea of 'experiences not things'.
has some valid points too, in a world that is seeing increasing devaluation of our own history who can be bothered to care about pop-pop's old things? Supply is rapidly outpacing demand. I took another thing still is what said. Nobody even puts a value on the items from a practicality standpoint. Most young people have been brought up in a hyper disposable society, you don't have a bedroom set that was passed down for generations anymore, you buy something made of particle board and replace it when it starts to show the slightest sign of wear. It's a kind of goulash of factors that will ultimately end in tons of physical history being sent to dumps.

The Nords.
Modern living changed to the Scandi style of clean lines and open spaces, old antiques no longer fit the modern ideal. What is worth noting though is that the modern design era 'antiques' from the 40s, 50s, 60s-the retro look-are the desirable items now and the stuff that accounts for most 'antique' sales now.

Attached: rsz_d2687_woodrow_jlp_37-1.jpg (1000x627, 78K)

I hope Mr. Rochefort got out while he was ahead.

It's nice. Kind of brutal angles

>things with no intrinsic value have a low value
why are people even surprised ?

The internet and widespread access to the real value of things.

Also cheap shit like Ikea

> I bet these antique cucks make fun of the Amish and don't realize they're the exact same just on a smaller scale
you are a fucking retard. Shaker, mission, "arts and crafts" is still worth a fortune

Bullshit,
Prices for crappy "Brocante" are down,
Prices for real antique are going up for the last 30 years
American crap from the 1950s isn't antiques
My family are almost all antique dealers and they all do very good business,
Demand is higher than ever,
My uncle sometimes sells for more than 100 000€ in a weekend on tradeshows in Paris and London

Yeah, it's a bit stylized.

I just find it funny that a gun made 100 years ago was designed with such high tolerances to make up for the inadequacies in manufacturing and material quality that even after 100 years of use it's considered more rugged and stable than a gun you can buy today, even though our materials today are 1000x more refined.

NO ONE WANTS BOOMER KNICK KNACK TRASH REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: Reee1.jpg (900x900, 566K)

what's considered antique in US?

Man, I don't see it here. Mid century modern is big, but very little interest in anything before 1900s.
Years ago you could see the trend of boomers and X buying back their childhood, but I think the boomers are downsizing and X sold it all back for drugs

>oy vey, I cant upcharge my old junk 200% of its actual value any more because people are able to look up prices online now

Fucking good, antique stores are bullshit

Britain

why buy something ancient with a story and sentimental value, when you can just buy a plastic piece of shit make by some chink slave that will be in a landfill within 2 years

in other words: its the jews, they push materialism and globalism

ye mate steel is pretty much the same it was 100 years ago
The only advancements you might see in firearm materials for basic cheap weapons are stuff like alloys and plastics to make the thing lighter and nicer to use

pre about 1920

i actually really like antiques and old world craftsmanship. but i graduated during the recession and that changed my outlook on spending. i can't justify buying bullshit that will just collect dust.

fuck boomers. day of the pillow soon.

see: its the fucking jews

A tsunami of crappy Chinese Walmart junk for 40 years... why would anyone want it?

zoomers pay good money for Pokemon Cards while Boomers want old timey radios and chairs

The "value" is what some cunt will pay.

While yes, they did build things better back in the day, most of the antique BS they peddle here are useless trinkets.

Firstly, everything has gone up except wages causing the disposable income that would otherwise be spent on antiques to shrink. Since antique stores are always run by old retired ladies and independent of each other they are dropping prices to stay in business. I expect luxury items across the board to dip in the near future.

Secondly, we are getting to the point where "antiques" by age are still mass produced crap like we have today, but every retard with a dead grandma has seen antiques roadshow and is expecting a huge pay out from grandma's old crap. When they find out their crap is crap they still sell it for nothing because they don't want to hold on to useless crap thus flooding the market. I would suspect that high end antiques are holding up far better than the shit you find in the windows of your local antique shop.

Antique furniture is heavy, beat up, and overpriced.

nihilism

>ye mate steel is pretty much the same it was 100 years ago
It's a hell of a lot cleaner than it was back then, but in general I was talking about alloys. That shit is fucking magical.

Now this just needs to happen with cars. Fucking Barrett-Jackson is spiking prices on the classic car market now. Even JDM cars are starting to climb up in value due to millennials getting nostalgic about the cars they played in Gran Turismo or seen in Fast and Furious. God help you if that car has popup headlights.

The fuck do boomers have to do with it? They hated antiques and embraced modernism. "Antique" people tend to be greatest or silent gen

just like your mother

>buying trash

Attached: 7067246.jpg (380x380, 61K)

Pretty much

I guess after the industrial revolution things have to age more and more to be special in the eyes of colectora.

consumer goods are dirt cheap across the board. it's unbelievalbe how cheap secondhand goods are. meanwhile cost of living (rent food healthcare education etc) has skyrocketed.
making $200 a day is considered middle class. you'd have to find and sell a new [armoir/solid wood desk/other very nice furniture] every single day to match that. or like 10 ikea shelves a day with 0 cost of purchase.

why are antiques not valued? nothing is valued.

also, pretty hard for a guy iving in temp housing with a temp job that might fire him any day with zero notice to value buying a bunch of heavy ass furniture for his 300 sq ft studio apartment in the shitty side of town. should have thoguht of that before you killed wages and job stability, boomershits.

OH!

>I get trash for free

Based shitskin. Buying antique items doesn’t lead to spiritual enlightenment or anything like that, it’s just scamming.

some of this old crap is really cheap. the point is to buy it and use it as your regular furniture. got a house worth of victorian era shit for $500 because literally nobody wants gigantic, heavy furniture anymore. you can't get that kind of deal at ikea.

The term antique, as it’s applied to furniture, must be 100+ years old. No exceptions. That shit ha simply fallen out of style, while vintage stuff, ie MCM, has become increasingly more popular over the past decade.

I make tens of thousands a year on the side restoring solid MCM furniture.

>be you
>spend 200 bucks of some faggot gaming chair that ends up in a landfill in five years, because it has no value
>buy new chair

>be me
>buy 100 dollar Herman Miller from the '50s
>never buy a chair again
>leave kid a $1000 dollar Herman Miller from the '50s

Attached: jews2.jpg (4017x2411, 669K)

I never said anything about monetary value grandpa. Put on your glasses and try again.

Sinai was, is, and shall forever be rightful Egyptian clay.

I blame time

I like the low prices personally.

that's it. this modern nordic minimalistic ikea dispensable shit that's infiltrating everywhere.

I love durable old furniture. Have a nice eclectic mix of old furniture that I got off my grandparent’s farm and some random mid century modern pieces. The only bought furniture I own are my beds. The older stuff might be heavier, but they last forever and are frequently much cheaper than buying them new.

this. wish I had all the pic related I sold years ago. But I'm seeing the demand for that stuff drop off. '70s-'80s nostalgia is the future. And PHYSICAL media like VHS, cassette. Even DVDs and CDs, as nothing will be "physical" again, with (((them)) charging $1.99 for every episode of Sanford and Son you DL.

heh? gen X is ballin’, kiddo

bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-02-28/homeownership-rate-hits-an-almost-5-year-high-as-gen-x-returns

baby boomers artificially inflated the value of 'antiques' with their ill gotten gains and insatiable greed to have everything. millennials on the other hand have been trained all their lives to find a broken piece of made in china plastic to be 'good enough' so they dont appreciate or value 200 year old made in the usa furniture. Its a completely alien concept to them so why would they desire to buy any of it?

started making reproduction shades for these.

Attached: DazerUFO_Lamp_01.jpg (500x500, 16K)

i have an antique clock collection.

STFU, retard. I know what you said. I quoted it. Faggot child.

Nice lamp.

that can't possibly be accurate. we are in a bubble economy, collectibles, art, antiques, and collectible/antique cars are all at all time highs. antiques are a knowledge intensive business though and are subject to the whims of style and trends. some categories, like colonial period furniture, have been downtrending for a long time while other styles such as mid-century modern have exploded. I'm not too up to date on specific examples but take for instance the Eames chair by Hermann Miller (an iconic item in a currently trendy style). 10 years ago those were a fuck ton cheaper than they are now.

Maybe I'd buy antiques if I could finally settle down somewhere. But reality is you are expected to change companies every 5 years or so and move where the jobs are. Moving with impractical, heavy ass furniture every few years isn't really a smart idea. Cheap furniture is just the way to go in our day and age.