Homesteading/Off-grid/Gardening

previous thread:
Gardening thread Post farm techniques and know-how here. Ill start: you can plant fruit trees over a septic system. Trees don't suck up pathogens and put them into your fruit, that is a dumb Amerimutt thing to think. It is, however, important to avoid growing crops that are low to the ground, that is why you use fruit trees.

Attached: default1231222222.jpg (1280x720, 264K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/
grist.org/article/2011-03-25-rodale-data-show-organic-just-as-productive-better-at-building/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk
playtheplanetblog.creativisms.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/The-Earth-Sheltered-Solar-Greenhouse.pdf
lowtechmagazine.com/2015/12/fruit-walls-urban-farming.html
greenhomebuilding.com/namerica.htm
youtube.com/user/1sustainablehedonist
youtube.com/channel/UCq9U-gJ1LtDCE4W5BhEDFSQ
youtube.com/user/logcabinlooms
greenhomebuilding.com/heatwithsun.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=GnLhWpy_nqI
youtube.com/watch?v=_vl7hdqEeFs
archdaily.com/918417/ikea-explores-future-urban-living-for-the-many
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw-bale_construction
motherearthnews.com/diy/natural-swimming-pool-zmaz02aszgoe
voat.co/v/politics/3275273
youtube.com/channel/UCVGVbOl6F5rGF4wSYS6Y5yQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The nutrients in the waste water from a septic system will breakdown and feed your trees. The plants will be healthier and you can avoid using expensive herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers the healthier your plants are

Alternatively, you can use a composting toilet system to treat your waste. This has the byproduct of producing compost rich in beneficial bacteria

You should never dump untreated human waste into a body of water or onto the top of soil. This is how pathogens are able to multiply and flourish

Are you serious?

If used properly, the waste you and your family produce can be an asset that allows you to increase the health of plants in your garden at no cost

If you think so. anons generally like homesteading threads on /pol

The food that you can grow on your own property is going to be higher in nutrients than the industrial "food" you can buy at a supermarket.
scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

Natural farming methods can be nearly as productive as an industrial monoculture can be. The difference is in the cost to the grower, natural is much cheaper, and in the joy of the consumer, naturally grown produce is much higher in vitamins and minerals

Conventional agriculture degrades soil health, which leads to the need to increase fertilizer, pesticide and herbicide use. On the other hand, natural methods (the ones practiced by your ancestors for thousands of years) can be regenerative to the soil ecosystem.
grist.org/article/2011-03-25-rodale-data-show-organic-just-as-productive-better-at-building/

Conventional farmers are not farmers at all. Just cogs in a vast machine. They recieve government subsidies to grow unsustainable monocultures of corn and basedbeans. Grow produce for your local markets and help your community to thrive

Using conventional methods, it is impossible for a farmer to turn a profit by selling staple crops on the open market. The price to produce them usuing industrial methods is higher that the market rate for the crops they grow.

Attached: 171120-beginning-farmers.jpg (1200x800, 1.07M)

Produce LOCAL produce for your LOCAL market. The longer produce is held in storage after being picked the faster its nutritional quality declines

Attached: orchard-1.jpg (500x334, 206K)

Even if you live in a cold climate, you can do your part. Build a passive solar greenhouse and grow tropical crops (like citrus) to sell for the local market.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk

Attached: figure2.jpg (600x415, 34K)

Make a small change today! use a biodegradable soap, plant an indoor herb garden, or whatever your scale and experience will allow. Even a windowsill can be enough space to grow enough herbs for cooking.

GROW FRESH HERBS! Use your own locally grown herbs to spice youre food. They taste better and have higher nutritional value than dried or store bought herbs will.

Attached: HER-BAS01-2.jpg (500x500, 157K)

Each small farmer can produce enough to feed several dozen people in his area. This is the way our food system operated 100 years ago. We can restore than system and along with it a way of life.

Livestock, large or small, are an invaluable resource for your farm. They produce manure, milk and meat. Properly composted animal manure is a blessing for any gardner.

Attached: Developing-livestock-in-Balochistan.jpg (1045x475, 451K)

I tried /pol.

?

I couldnt keep the thread alive

It doesn’t matter Gardening and homesteading is a great addition to /pol and is here to stay

this place is almost nothing but shills and bait anymore, dont feel bad anyone who genuinely cares for this will be able to find it. maintain this knowledge on /out/

You helped bump this back to p.3 for a minute. These threads slide or end up shoah'd pretty quick if people dont contribute.

Posting it on /pol is good for getting people who dont give it much thought's attention. Otherwise this board is nothing but BLACKED.com sponsored threads

playtheplanetblog.creativisms.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/The-Earth-Sheltered-Solar-Greenhouse.pdf

Thanks
Try Viii chan if you want a lasting thing.

Also look up this blog : )
lowtechmagazine.com/2015/12/fruit-walls-urban-farming.html

not saying you should post here instead that since the catalog is BLACKED having an alternative place to access this is good

DO NOT BUY A PLYWOOD BOX. Americans tend to live like ants in a maze. BUILD YOUR OWN HOUSE and start a family. Dont take out a massive mortgage, learn some practical skills and then put them to use. There is nothing in this world more satisfying than building the roof over your head.

Attached: suburbs-dems-fast-takes.jpg (3000x1467, 2.49M)

Even though pol is just shills and slide thread ,posting thread like these restore hope in pol and fights against slide threads,also maybe if we keep posting non shill threads one day less then 70% of threads won’t be slide threads

Thanks Germanon.
greenhomebuilding.com/namerica.htm
heres a link on traditional building methods, many book titles provided

Thanks for making this thread OP

here's a self-reliance discord people here might be interested in: discord gg/8B3FK79

Attached: 1506285980477.jpg (736x981, 216K)

Attached: 1514498070581.jpg (922x586, 156K)

Attached: 2012-usda-hardiness-map.png (644x412, 392K)

Absolutely right. good threads with active participation is the best way to inspire change

>restores hope in Jow Forums
lmao what? This place is usually only good for shitposts and news thanks, of course, to b8 and shills. Other chans not as famous as this one are better places for actual political discussion at this point.

That's still a pretty big claim about waste being adequately filtered by the tree. Humans accumulate and excrete all kinds of junk beyond pathogens. That's a lot better than pissing and shitting in the fields like 3rd worlders do, but I would rather put more than one root-to-fruit filter between myself and even my own waste.

Even just feed for animals and then eating the animal or using its waste for fertilizer puts more filters and metabolic chains in the way of consuming what somebody's body tried to get rid of.

useful channels:

youtube.com/user/1sustainablehedonist

youtube.com/channel/UCq9U-gJ1LtDCE4W5BhEDFSQ

youtube.com/user/logcabinlooms

Thank you Canadanon, here is a link for you:
greenhomebuilding.com/heatwithsun.htm

I killed my goji bears with a bad soil mixture (to much water retention and to little aeration).... I'm in tears, they were ordered as live root stock from a special variety.

Please press F to pay respects to my goji berries.

F

Whatever you're comfortable with is fine. I have been eating fruit grown over a septic field my whole life (my parents did this, and now i do) and have never had any problems. Regardless if they are productive or not, putting plantings over your septic system helps it to work better

F

It doesn’t have to be like that though ,we can have nice threads like this and other relevant threads ,and anyway more chaotic it is ,it’s easier to be shilled or infiltrated

Imagine someone who's never picked up a hammer trying to build their own house, bro it's not going to end well

>he missed the part of my post about gaining the skills required. Overall though, even someone without much experience can perform 90% of their own labor. Just contract out the trades and have an architect review any plans you make.

>Regardless if they are productive or not, putting plantings over your septic system helps it to work better
trudat. I mean, there are a million other pathways toward being less healthy than you would be otherwise, and you might wind up pumping what comes out of your septic system back up for irrigation anyway, but I just think about whether I'd want option A or option B if I had the luxury of choosing.

kek
I still remember the first time I tried to build a platform for a school play without any instruction. Fortunately, somebody noticed it was a death trap before anybody tried standing on it.

Yeah sewage treatment is pretty tough actually. thats why cities use multi-million (sometimes billion) dollar methods of treating it. Thankfully though, nature will take care of 99% of anything harmful if you give it time and space.

why didn't you go online and watch a 5 minute video about framing? there really isn't an excuse to be ignorant of any skill

Thank you
F

Anyone who posts a worthwhile thread with genuine information in it that helps even one person makes it worth it. People with like-minds need to help each other.

I am loving the more frequent threads lately about gardening, green pills, etc

This was before computers could commonly play videos at any kind of quality and back when it would have taken forever to download it, especially if mom picked up the phone.

The adults running the thing obviously hadn't been around the block yet when it came to running things. Later on, they figured out they should borrow high school students who knew how to manage and teach the younger students. Surprising amount of general contractor type work goes on in the operation of a theater.

The greenpill is the ultimate redpill

Fuck you faggot. The only good thread on here right now. Maybe you should go look for another thread on tipping, or hating white women, or all the fucking bullshit that shouldn't be allowed on this board.

If you autistically follow official norms and make a basic shape it should work out. If its something to woo a woman with is another thing.
Some materials are tricky to work with and tradesmen are expensive.
Tbh you americans still can pull it off easily in comparison to us, land scarcity, regulations, groundtax and the trades bleeding talent...

I can confirm. My company was hired last summer to build an outdoor theatre area because actors cant use tools

Based and greenpilled.

youtube.com/watch?v=GnLhWpy_nqI
Interesting and very autistic idea.

The simplest and cheapest form of construction is to use the earth of your site. Cob houses can last for centuries if they are properly maintained.
youtube.com/watch?v=_vl7hdqEeFs

Attached: Elämän-Puu-cottage-cob-house_1.jpg (800x534, 118K)

Yeah, and today's world with a million people and videos on the internet right at your fingertips, it's easier than ever to try to teach yourself new things, even if only to figure out that you are or are not retarded with a particular skill.

You can save tons of money, too, if you're working on your own structures and equipment, and you'll be a lot more competent and easy to work with when you need to hire a professional.

Excellent thread, here's a grapevine.

Attached: image.jpg (2592x1936, 1.57M)

if you dont want to build your own house a corporation will be happy to provide you with one. Stripped of all sense of location and history of course
archdaily.com/918417/ikea-explores-future-urban-living-for-the-many

Attached: TheGreatestChange.png (1200x697, 1.43M)

What else are you growing in your garden Jack Sparrow?

also

Attached: BasedFin.png (800x574, 391K)

Bill Mollison knows the 14 words

Attached: 1784885-Bill-Mollison-Quote-The-only-ethical-decision-is-to-take.jpg (3840x2160, 2.16M)

last one and I'm going outside. Will check back in later. I saved a lot of good and useful things from one a these last week. Second year gardening so it is all helpful to me

Attached: CompanionPlantingChart.jpg (906x1280, 535K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw-bale_construction
Straw-bale construction. A truly American system of building. Developed in the great plains where people had little access to wood and stone. These houses are super comfy in winter while you make tea on an open fire

you fucking retard /out/ has multiple threads about this exact shit daily, that's the board for this topic
fucking redditfags

Then go to /out and get the hell out of my thread

discord gg/8B3FK79

Attached: 1515349518122.jpg (1280x866, 288K)

How does companion planting work? Do you just plant it right next to it? Is there "too close" etc?

Attached: Homestead Plan.jpg (900x529, 67K)

The jew fears the farmer

Generally a few inches away. I usually just plant one seedling and then put the next one a hand-length away.

Is it usually a 1-to-1 ratio? Or can one companion plant serve its purpose for many?

Attached: vAWfT.png (920x319, 243K)

F

I like to grow a bunch of each in a clump, so for tomatoes i usually like to do 5 plants surrounded by a companion herb, like basil. but I have seen a single plant surrounded by several of its companions and it seemed to do the job just fine.

Friendly bump

motherearthnews.com/diy/natural-swimming-pool-zmaz02aszgoe
Thanks, heres an interesting link in return

>encouraging tree roots to fuck up your septic leach field, eventually costing thousands to repair
Dumb.

I'm only a second year gardner so don't take this as word. I have a patch of peppers, then grow a patch or row of whatever next to it. My garden is only 30x30 so I grow close. A youtuber called Michigan gadner (I think that's it) has lots of good videos on growing in small spaces. Apparently the spacing listed on seed packets is what is needed for mechanized farming, so in a garden you can grow closer together.

not mine, just a cool pic

Attached: 1508026747968.jpg (1195x900, 153K)

voat.co/v/politics/3275273
>Antifa wants you to deplatform "fashy farmers"
>The Bloomington Farmers’ Market responded. It told Ang it would not remove Schooner Creek Farm.
>“To our knowledge, this vendor has not shared these views at Market and has treated customers with respect,” said Marcia Veldman, program/facility coordinator for Bloomington’s Parks and Recreation Department, in an email response to Ang. “The City is constitutionally prohibited from discriminating against someone because of their belief system, no matter how abhorrent those views may be. The City may only intercede if an individual's actions violate the safety and human rights of others

Anyone else see this?

>thinking thats what happens

A lot of farmers are pretty right wing in my experience. In my area we get the hippie type from time to time but they are an exception not the rule

Thanks anons

Absolutely what happens, the leach field has PVC tubes with holes running through it that distributes the shit water. Roots will fuck this up, not overnight but eventually. The result is you will have to route a new field or cut down your trees and dig everything up.

I find myself going closer than what's on the packets. I ultimately decided the first time with anything is going to be something of a crapshoot beyond trying to guess whether it's going to be a bigass thing like squash or a little thing like lettuce.

>all drain fields are constructed of PVC
I built my drainfield myself, it is constructed with of concrete pipe and is 8 feet below grade to avoid the freeze/thaw cycle. I have never had problems and neither has anyone that I know who also does this. My parents have had a similar system (also with made from concrete) that has been functioning without problem for 60 years.

youtube.com/channel/UCVGVbOl6F5rGF4wSYS6Y5yQ
He is kinda a faggle but he has good info. He loves to talk so sometimes I skip to the informative parts

The other anons method sounds much more orderly than mine does. Perhaps try that

You can also try pairing multiple species together, the most famous example of that is probable the redskin's three sisters of corn beans and squash.

Well you should caveat your original statement.
>planting trees on your leach field is a good idea if you triple the work and cost for building it in the first place

Not to argue but roots vs concrete roots win every time. What happens likely there is enough room and roots grow around it.

>concrete costs more than PVC
I cast the pipe sections myself using stone I had on site, with a simple plywood mold. A 94lb bag of portland cement is only $8 where I am. I purchases 10 bags and cast them over the course of a week. My neighbor dug my trenches with his backhoe. All in, my drain field cost be $150 and and two weeks time.