How many people actually get this?

How many people actually get this?

Free trade is good and it makes no difference whatsoever if you're trading with a low-wage country. It's a win-win (with disruption but man the fuck up, pussy).

Attached: The-Theory-of-Comparative-Advantage.jpg (457x748, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dyJWZj4_OBw
youtube.com/watch?v=wmW5g9BhKw0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's true, if it's all regulated by the market. The western governments set regulation so we don't have a comparative advantage with the rest of the world. China manipulates markets and dumps goods at a loss so they can gain a monopoly and charge more in the future.

Comparative advantage is great, if we're all working with the same rules dictated by the market. Not the way the world works today. Maybe someday.

> complete dependency on foreign supply
> unemployment riots and ghettos
> muh cheaper avocado bread tho
Free trade is fine, national resilience is more important.

this.

Free trade is good if you have a relatively free national economy. Free trade is bad if you have a relatively regulated national economy.

pic is bs.
Wines and pizzas before and after don't add up.

Also, now france is completely dependent on italy for food.
Not exactly a good strategic decision.

This. Wtf is even going on in op's pic?

I started Econ 1 too, Lesson 1, this strikes me as a pretext to explain why the Chinese need to build everything, and London has banks.

These abstract theories are good for 17 yo students I guess, grown ups think in terms of countries, companies in such. Production possibility frontiers, what is this shit.

You can create a more efficient economy, but most of those gains will go to those at the top.

Clamping down on free trade limits economic efficiency, but creates jobs and funnels wealth down to those who need it the most

Free trade is particularly good when you can set the production and exchange rate to whatever you want, which unfortunately rarely happens in reality.

>takes Economics 101
>now knows economics
You know this shit is introductory and includes zero abstract thought in the Dismal Science?

Look goy, you want to depend on foreign monkeys with no quality standards or safety regulations for critical goods. It makes perfect sense goy. Besides, domestic wages started getting too high. Who wants that?

>free trade means mor pizzas for ll!
the level of discourse on this board, jesus

>globalism good
Almost all (((economists))) agree on that, so of course they come up with some fucking model to make it appealing. Truth of the matter is, you’re now dependent on that market and the only way to eliminate risk of losing that relationship is through globalism

This guy gets it. Free trade is a tool to reduce national sovereignty to eventually zero.

Even if we accept your premise, if another country is charging a tariff, your country needs to charge the same tariff, or agree on tariff-free trade. Dummy.

t. Donald Trump

Fuck free trade. Fuck foreign companies. The JONS figured out that foreign bourgeoisie is a tool to control the population and subjugate it.

The pic is saying to specialize. I unit of Frenchmen can produce 6 win or 4 pizzas, so OP’s logic is for all units of Frenchman to make win. But then France only has wine and no food, thus making them completely dependent on a foreign nation for food. The point of free trade is to leverage away ideas like nations and borders and move to a border less one world government.

And Italy is completely dependent on France regarding their drinking supplies
Because humans are known to eat nothing but pizzas and drink nothing but wine

Yeah you don't trade for self sufficiency. You trade for profit. If you are trading or raiding for things you need to live you fucked up bigly and have no nest egg. Basically the world is hoping growth will continue and hit the next peak after the platue. Most people forget there are valleys too.

Wow, that sounds great.

Yfw you pay $15 for X before free trade because muh tariffs and taxes
>gets free trade
>still pays $15 for X but shekelstein keeps more shekels now
This is the truth of (((Free Trade)))

The over-reliance on foreigners who will wield that over-reliance you have on them as a weapon against you can do nothing but bring disaster in the medium and long term.
Dirt cheap goods at the expense of the National Interest, social cohesion, the working class of your country and the viability of your nation is NOT a good trade. There are only 2 situations where anything but very limited trade is a good thing: when you can't get that thing within your own country, or to help with economic recovery following a recession or economic downturn. The latter is purely temporary in nature.

If you can't maintain your country through your own actions, then you've failed at civics.

Mutual dependence between peers can be okay. It's not great for say, Mexico with regards to the US, because Mexico depends far more on the US than vice versa so we can clamp their balls with wasteful tariffs very easily.

It also assumes all people are interchangeable. They're not. Even if we have a greater share of people with a relative advantage in some field, if we export all the jobs in another field, the people who used to work those jobs cannot simply transition in the manner pretended by economists. They become unemployed dependents on the state or go to generally lower value work. The only alternative is that they will have to follow the jobs to a shitty country and cannot remain in the land of their ancestors.

Why the fuck can't capitalists understand that material wealth should not be the highest purpose of human existence? I ask this on a serious note, it's like these fucking retards cannot even conceive the idea that other things - such as nation, family - matters more than fucking money

I'd like it if we went back to free trade of goods, but not free trade of people/jobs.

Trading our pizzas for their wine is okay

Trading our pizza production for their wine is not okay.
Because in the long run, you have nothing left to trade.
And all the while, you impoverished your own people, so you are now left with no trade and angry unemployed people who want to kill you for fucking them over

Trade should have the ultimate goal of enriching the entire people of a nation. It is not about I got mine and fuck you.

that's just materialist ideology in a nutshell. I put both capitalism and communism in the same category because of this. They are both materialist ideologies that don't give a fuck about people, only about production and money. As such I reject both on that premise; whether it's a communist society or a capitalist society, the people of the nation are still treated like dogshit and exploited at every turn.

I will answer on a serious note as well. There is no antinomy between supporting capitalism and allowing for diverse values besides money. In fact, capitalism is predicated on a worldview that acknowledges and tolerates diversity of values so long as they do not conflict with private property. Nation and family certainly don't do this, so value them all you want.

>They are both materialist ideologies that don't give a fuck about people, only about production and money.
This is simply nonsensical, as production and money are downstream from what people need and want.

>capitalism is predicated on a worldview that acknowledges and tolerates diversity of values so long as they do not conflict with private property. Nation and family certainly don't do this, so value them all you want.

And yet capitalist ideology is allowing and encouraging the flourishing of ideas and methods that destroy national and familial values. A capitalist would rather have a slave worked to the bone than a happy productive worker that actually has to be paid for his work. The lower wages can go, and the more rent-seeking he does, the happier a capitalist can be. Free never-ending income off the backs of an army of slaves is not a good way to run society, even if it's a possible way to run society.

Free trade is good so long as we aren't losing out on our sovereignty because of it.

Like here in Australia, we're getting buttfucked by the Chinese investors.

It's not as simple as an infographic, but yeah.

>The pic is saying to specialize. I unit of Frenchmen can produce 6 win or 4 pizzas, so OP’s logic is for all units of Frenchman to make win. But then France only has wine and no food, thus making them completely dependent on a foreign nation for food.
It works better if we talk about things that aren't essential for survival. Food, water, shelter, medicine, and other basic needs are national security issues.

You're forgetting that tariffs allow domestic producers to raise their prices to be just under the tariffed foreign good.

The most fucked up countries are where they have gone so far into the free-trade meme that they sold out the RESOURCES of the country. Letting foreigners EXPLOIT the goods of your country is a good way to turn into a nation of slaves. Private property in a country MUST be restricted to people originating from that same country.

Cute strawman
Capitalism is just an umbrella term for any system that allows private property and freedom of entrepreneurship, as such it is not an ideology
Communism is one, since it's based on writings of a hegelian materialist Marx. It is a complete rejection of non-material values to focus on the class struggle

Capitalism qua capitalism has no problem with Paul being a globalist and user being a nationalist. It doesn't push either one. If Paul's way satisfies more people, user's gonna have a hard time competing, but so what? Why should inferiority be boosted? And if Paul's way crashes and burns, user gets to laugh as well.

Capitalist would rather have a slave than a worker? That's nonsensical because slavery contradicts private property. Capitalism is anti-slavery inherently and slavery does not exist in the modern coalition of relatively-capitalist states, also the best ones to live in ever by the way.

>putting all your eggs in one basket
>creating a dependency on a foreign entity

fuck off retards

Exactly. We've sold our ports to China, as well as airfields.

Resources are important, but infrastructure is even worse.

Comparative advantage is the opposite of that you retard.

In regards to stuff like iron ore, which Japan doesn't have, they need to have a dependency on a foreign entity. But they do make advanced electronics. So they export that.

That's the principle of comparative advantage in a nutshell. Trade with what you're good with.

The French eat wine and drink pizza retard.

>iron ore, which Japan doesn't have
yes they do

This quibble doesn't affect his argument, unless you are universally opposed to the concept that resources are scarce and not evenly distributed on Earth's surface.

This works out great. But for certain things like defense or raw materials, you want your country to be independent otherwise it can be taken hostage to others

It was for the sake of an example.

Either way they have no oil. They just don't have the ability to make their own, so they have to import it.

Are you saying they shouldn't do that?

i'm universally opposed to the idea that developed nations have formed around areas with scarce base resources

Economics is fake and gay.
Even if the chief economist at the world bank said macroeconomics as a discipline is bullshit.

Some countries lack raw materials and require it to be imported.

Not every country can afford to be independent.

oil is shit anyway, nuclear energy is the future

>scarce base resources

Is oil a "base resource"? Its an inelastic good that not everyone has access to.

That's a non-answer.

ricardo's theory of comparative advantage is 5th grade economics and has been debunked multiple times.

youtube.com/watch?v=dyJWZj4_OBw

sounds like they aren't countries then.

>Thinking Econ 101 models are representative of the real world

Why are people so retarded? The assumptions of simple models (fungible products, equal productivity, no diminishing returns, no specialization of labour) do not apply in reality. Not every Frenchman is qualified to make wine, and Italian and French pizzas are not necessarily of the same quality. Any diffference in production standards destroys the simple comparative advantage model.
t. economics grad student

OP is a cryptobolshevik, leave him alone.

>Free trade is good and it makes no difference whatsoever if you're trading with a low-wage country
Tell that to all the people whose towns have been devestated because the factories moved overseas and put everyone out of work, whose communities have been destroyed - all so that you could make a quick buck by exploiting slave workers in china.

People like you are disgusting.

You should know. American FDI into Japan post WW2 is what caused it to be the economic powerhouse it is today.

Don't be surprised that countries which would usually struggle without base resources have advanced significantly. Japan isn't a country in that it lacks sovereignty due to its reliance on foreign resources.

But, whats the alternative then?

They need those resources and invading China (again) is not an option.

Those countries are keked. Like Singapore. That's why lebensraum is so important. If you live in a country that can't support itself, you'll be fucked if things go bad or if there is a war. That's why America is fucking awesome despite the niggers and spics. It has a lot of resources and laws that protect private property.

>exchange goods
>somehow counted as wealth instead of deficit

That's their fucking problem. If a people aren't strong enough to invade and take resources and women, they're not worth a damn. Compare whites and niggers.

Reminder that Econ is philosophy pretending to be a science and the entire theory of natural markets is based on a falsehood.

youtube.com/watch?v=wmW5g9BhKw0

You can also turn into a non-country with enough resources to sustain yourself. Central America is the perfect example.
Enough resources to produce nearly everything in the world, yet reduced to mere slaves of the US global empire.

Capitalism is indeed an open system, but it's open in the same sense as Rome; you can worship any god you like as long as it bows before the Imperial cult. Similarly, in the modern capitalist/corporatist (whatever you want to call it) system you can hold any value you like in private, so long as you bow to profit in public. Because profit has the taint of Moloch, the smell of the prisoner's dilemma, the momentum of a race to the bottom, it is perfectly happy to leave other avenues open so long as its own avenue is not closed. Then, inevitably, all other values will lose to the promise of profit, as it eats them from below.

It's fine to value other things over profit as long as you don't act like it. As long as you act like private property is the most important thing in public, you can pretend that you believe other things are more important all you like in private.

Well, and it's all for the best, isn't it? If people started really believing that some things are more valuable than profit, consent and peace, somebody could get hurt.

Attached: 1553524590902.png (236x376, 89K)

How are nation and family affected by this? You can still ban immigrants and keep your national identity, you can still ban divorce and encourage people to have children.

>Why the fuck can't capitalists understand that material wealth should not be the highest purpose of human existence?
Why can't you understand that economics is about maximising wealth? You might as well complain that foreign policy isn't about people on welfare. They're two separate issues.

As far as not caring about material wealth, people bitch about trade deals precisely because of the perceived detriment to their material wealth. Don't move the goalposts mid-game.

>Comparative advantage
can someone smart tell me what I think of this? is it redpilled or bluepilled?

Honestly any nation that is importing more then they produce is a mass extinction event waiting to happen. Say you are Japan or or some other small country with not that much farmland. You start importing food, then your population is going to go up because now more people can feed themselves, happens every time. So eventually the global market is going to crash, eventually you are going to get that food supply cut off, and now your population is much higher then you can support. I hope countries that import food and investing heavily into hydroponics or cannibalism.

Except what actually ends up happening is both France's and Italy's wine bottle factories get shipped over to China where nobody cares if the glassworks worker dies at age 35 from faulty unmaintained equipment,
Then the french and italians who used to run those factories can't find any other jobs so neither of them can buy the wine nor the pizza.

The only ones who benefit from it are the (((urban elites))).

>That's the principle of comparative advantage in a nutshell. Trade with what you're good with.
Not true. You don't get it either. You trade with what you're good at. Look at the example I gave. Italy sucks at everything. However, they, and France, benefit from the trade.

> It's a win win
If you believe that winning is measured by economic output, which it is not

>It also assumes all people are interchangeable.
The same as (((agile development))). It assumes that people are interchangeable drones with no interpersional relationships that can be shuffled from one project to the next and always work at 100% efficiency regardless of what team they're in or what they're working on.

Protip: they aren't, and team cohesion is a huge part of a project's success.

Also the basic premise of "you should highly specialize in ONE thing and do nothing else" is flawed at a fundamental level, because if you only ever do ONE thing you'll never get exposed to new ideas, and you'll never be able to come up with new design patterns and solutions yourself.

They say if you're a jack of all trades you're a master of none, but that's fucking bullshit. Knowledge is not a zero sum game. Due to happy circumstances in my few years of experience I've seen and used more programming languages and frameworks than 90% of my boomer colleagues, and I'm better than them at every single one of them.

When someone has a problem with something, they call ME for help virtually every single time. They don't call the boomer who's done nothing but write PL/SQL procedures for 30 years or the guy who can't do anything other than simple EJBs.

And the very REASON I'm so good at everything is that I've seen virtually every single kind of bug or issue happen at some point, from system path issues to JNDI issues to EJB transactions rolling back without trace due to expiring timeouts on badly configured application servers, to SQL queries that ran for hours because the database was performing joins in the worst possible order, to Node backends where someone forgot to wait on a promise, to Angular frontends where someone didn't realize their callback was being called outside angular's scope, and a shitload of other things I can't think of.

Overspecialization doesn't help people. It hurts them.

Many, many people make public expostulations against profit. They suffer no consequences for this at all and receive dull nods of agreement.

But where do they think profit comes from? It comes from serving people better - unless you dominate some market through force, of course, which is outside of capitalism due to its contradiction of private property.

Private property, not profit, is the base arbitrary value of capitalism. Profit is just an intrinsically obvious motive for nearly everybody. Indeed the same people mouthing safe public platitudes about profit in public take great care to achieve profits in their private, personal situation.

????
I meant "good at", if your picking on my choice of words.

I don't think you understand.

The problem isn't profit, the problem is profiting at the expense of the nation and people. Capitalists have no issue with gays even if 30 years later it means there's a population crisis, and 5 years later an STD health crisis.

"Immigrants lower wages and that's a good thing" - your typical capitalist.

Except mass immigration destroys social cohesion, and every multiracial or even multicultural society has eventually broken down into in-fighting, and often the only way to keep any kind of control and stability is to become dictatorial. So you have a short-term """gain""" of low wages, but in 20 years entire areas turn into no-go zones where you can't profitably run a business because of rampant crime or just plain everyone being too fucking poor to buy anything. (And I think that, and control, is part of the reason we are seeing pushes in MSM for UBI)

And likewise, a capitalist doesn't care if you're white or brown so long as you buy things. But if one happens to be less intelligent and more thrifty on spending than the other, there's a strong incentive to propagate those people and profit off the thrifty schmucks. So your capitalist society shapes itself towards towards sacrificing individual fitness for short-term profitability. While in the long term it self-destructs the entire society.

You may be fine with a future of interchangeable human bug-men who simply live to work and consume, ruled over by bug-kings that direct the hive to work and consume more things, but I am not.

Noodle knows what’s up

this is entirely true, no economist disagrees that free trade is a total benefit for all those involved. but protectionism isn't about economic wealth, it is about asserting sovereignty. this is a fundamental misunderstanding between us, i want to assert the sovereignty of canada while you would rather sell out your country for the greatest material gain

Attached: 1556474894304.jpg (1024x1024, 140K)

>it's good because there is a retarded inforgraphic with a design aimed at todlers says so
>no it can't be sourced or proven it's all (((economic theory)))
how dumb are you OP? please put a number to it.

>Comparative advantage is great, if we're all working with the same rules dictated by the market.
No. you're retarded; everyone in this thread is retarded. Comparative advantage works to advantage of the "free trade country" even when someone is dicking with their own numbers. The free trade country can use it to their advantage.
>Free trade is fine, national resilience is more important.
Hello brazil/south america. Your economy is shit.