Does college actually make a person more smart, qualified, skilled, or knowledgeable...

Does college actually make a person more smart, qualified, skilled, or knowledgeable? College is clearly a show so why do people continue to play along with it?

Attached: college1.jpg (1200x676, 270K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freemansperspective.com/genius-thinks-education/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because a degree is the gatekeeper between you and HR (another gatekeeper), which gives a cookie cutter "successful" life and most people aren't capable of thinking outside of any boxes.

Learning how to articulate your thoughts to a greater degree of sophistication than you learn in high school allows you to play with more complex ideas and thus have a richer understanding and experience of the world

College is literally a qualification for many careers, so no denying that. You may or may not come out smarter and more skilled. Depends on how you spend your time.

Depends on you.
If you are like me and took your education seriously and actually studied, then college is a great weapon of the mind that will serve you well.
If you are a brainless npc then college is just an indoctrination center. They tell you what to believe, and how to think, and who to follow.

If you don't take control of your education someone else will.

A college degree is just a certificate of subservience

It shows you can assimilate into a huge institution that degrades, dehumanizes, and exploits you; with a smile on your face.

The reason many companies will unconditionally not hire anyone without a college degree is because they know these people couldn't make it through the final stage of their complacency conditioning and will eventually cause dissent in the company

It depends on what you study. Law and STEM programs generally make you learn a lot and you come out being able to think in a way different from when you came in.

Any other college program CAN give you that same experience, but it's a question of if it will. It can often be rather easy to just bullshit papers and come out with a degree in the end.

I don't even have my highschool and I'm directing a team of 40 who'm all have degrees.

It contributes to the 10,000 hour rule. 4 years of focusing on related topics helps people become more skilled in what they're learning.
Now if you go to college and scrape by with C's and don't put any effort in because "I don't know what I really want to do with my life xD" then you end up with these stereotypical people that come out and complain they didn't learn anything and can't get a job.
Why you would pay 10's of thousands of dollars to study something you have no interest in persuing I don't know.

Depends on the degree. MOST college-educated people are simply indoctrinated. They are not actually educated.

>college
Pretty broad user, colleges value money so they have a course for just about anything. I would take someone who has a degree in mouthbreathing's opinions with a grain of salt

Because of Boomer Parents using their kids as a social status statement. College is for lost children who don't have a clue in life.

What a shitty classroom design

>most people aren't capable of thinking outside of any boxes.
absolute bullshit

If it did, corporations wouldn't need an endless amount of new people known as immigrants.

There's no reason why high school couldn't fufill the same function.

It's a scam. Corporations want the dumbest person capable of accomplishing X and not one IQ digit higher. The smarter you are, the greater the chance you will be competition instead of an obedient serf.

If you go for mathematics, engineering, or hard sciences then college is very useful. It all depends on what you're going for and how much you put it.

t. Electrical Engineer

Attached: engineer.png (600x1029, 586K)

It helped me develop professional writing skills well above my peers. Otherwise I would say it was largely useless.

Yeah thats bullshit. People who go through universities are usually less able to articulate their thoughts than they were before.

College is designed to have a thousand little annoyances, a constant stress, and a culture where you have to lie about true beliefs so you actually pass classes.

It's basically cult indoctrination

I'm literally still in college for the following reasons:
>Most jobs in my field require a degree
>I have VA benefits through immediate family so they would be going to waste
>It's giving me time to work on my own projects and hopefully take them full time by the time I gradute
>My college town is cheap as fuck so living here is more equitable than just about anywhere else in the country
>I live with my fraternity so rent is absurdly cheap
Also, pussy. Free pussy. Literally as far as the eye can see.

Attached: 41.jpg (1080x1145, 206K)

>literally
maybe chance that to *only

I learned nothing as an undergraduate, but I did learn a lot in law school, especially in regard to logical reasoning.

It depends on how you go through it. I’d say that only s small percentage get the most out of it while the rest just fuck around

If college made anyone smarter, most professors wouldnt be liberals and kids wouldnt come out with huge student debts. College is only worthy if you are going for something that lands you a job and you make an effort to ignore everything you are being taught by your stupid professors.

>Does college actually make a person more smart, qualified, skilled, or knowledgeable?
No, it doesn't. Stupid people will remain stupid.

Unless you're in STEM, college is the culmination of leftist indoctrination that started in pre-K to prepare you to be an obedient worker who just knows enough to run the copy machine yet dumb to realize how much student loan debt you've accrued in pursuit of a piece of parchment that certifies you went through a brainwashing process of at least for years as a prerequisite for a wage slave position making money for your employer on a weekly basis from 9-5, Monday to Friday.

It can make you skilled and qualified but I don't think it makes people smart in a way that matters the most. There are a lot of people who can memorize a lot, learn how to do any integral, learn all sorts of algorithms, become an engineer who does cookie cutter solutions to problems, but I don't think originality or creativity can be taught, which are the things that matter the very most for research.

>more smart
Kek

at my college I got to play with robots and that was cool.

Attached: Yrnewx8.png (1027x731, 28K)

Into the mind of the family fuck up

kekekekk

Eh I'd say for the most part it's a very expensive four year social club. Benign if you can afford it, a crippling source of debt if you can't.

If you work hard and get a degree in the physical sciences or engineering, then college broadens your horizons and teaches you valuable skills.

Obviously there's some extreme leftist indoctrination but I think America overestimates the number of gender studies degrees being awarded. They just happen to screech the shrillest and loudest.

American HR companies are cults of credentialism. Having a bachelors or advanced degree is just a straight up must for most jobs, not because you need it to actually do the job, but because they say you need it.

They don't need immigrants, they want them because they cost less. It's not supposed to be a waking nightmare to find a job and a house, the reason it is is because of immigrants.

No, its a huge scam. Unless you want to be a doctor or engineer, gtfo.

> Also, pussy. Free pussy. Literally as far as the eye can see.
I wish that was true for me.

Any humanities degree is pure indocrination.

>the family fuck up
Well I haven't gone on a meth-induced death spree yet so I'm not quite to the "fuck-up" level of my stepdad

Fuck no. Stop selling your soul.

Come to america. Your accent will get you laid.

> Your accent will get you laid.
I don't have one and sound like a generic American now after all these years online. I still wonder how can I be invisible standing @ 6ft3in.

Is business worth it? I'm enrolled in a business degree but I'm thinking about changing to engineering or statistics since I haven't learned a single useful thing on my major, It's all easy bullshit I could find in any fucking book on the subject. I also went to some interviews and they don't give a fuck about what I actually know, all they care about is that I have good communications skills, which I don't since I'm a socially inept autist

Attached: 1530762203530.jpg (636x431, 35K)

>smart
No, intelligence is largely determined by your genes.
>qualified
If your degree applies to your profession.
>skilled
Kind of.
>knowledgeable
No, experience does.
>why do people continue to play along with it?
Because college is a meme. If you get a solid STEM degree then you are likely to land a high paying job that doesn't require manual labor. However, most people that attempt to go to college do not belong in a college environment. As in they are:
>not intelligent enough to comprehend higher level course material
>more concerned with "exploring themselves"
>DUDE WEED LMAO and don't specialize in a specific field or actually pursue a degree
They end up there because their parents and society as a whole pushes people to go to college/uni as the only means of earning an income. There is no passion or capacity for true learning and understanding in them, then they rack up tens of thousands of dollars getting a degree in basket weaving to which they put on their starbucks application after graduating. What really sucks though is that having so many low IQ retards being pushed into going to college has subsequently lowered curricula to cater to the lowest common denominator and cheapens the education for those that can actually do something positive for society with their degree.

Attached: 1551843044450.jpg (684x565, 56K)

>More smart
No. You have to be smart to go to college. Education can't increase a person's intellect. It's like trying to teach a person to be taller.
>Qualified
Kind of. It depends upon the degree. Some degrees mean something in certain vocations. Other's aren't worth the paper they're printed on to any potential employer.
>Skilled
Yes and no. Depends on if the student learns the material or simply learns to pass tests.
>Knowledgeable
See skilled
>College is clearly a show so why do people continue to play along with it?
First of all that's a run on sentence. Put a comma in there art show. Clearly you didn't learn basic English grammar. Secondly, it's an incorrect assortment. As previously stated, there is value in higher education. It has a lot of bloat and vestigial aspects, but the core of tutored education and certification of proficiency is common sense.
Call it what ever you like, but there is always going to be a value and use of such things in human society.

no, learning does. college is an overpriced relic from before information was easy to find. now you’re just paying to upgrade your social network, which is also valuable but has nothing to do with intelligence, skill, knowledge, or qualification.

Hi, college graduate now working, living the easy life and making a 6 figure income.
>Does college actually make a person more:
>smart
No.
>qualified
No.
>skilled
Maybe.
>knowledgeable
Also maybe.

You might learn certain skills which apply to pretty much everything in life. For example, a lot of the organizational skills which I learned in college in order to assemble large essays and presentations forced me into a lot of habits I never had in high school, and many of those basic skills translated over to the business world. There is little difference for example between assembling a thesis paper and writing a contract proposal. College might make you more knowledgeable in certain areas, you might learn information you didn't know before. I learned a lot of good and useful things at college, but whether or not you get something out of it in that sense is up to the individual.

The real question to me is whether or not college provides you with anything that you couldn't figure out or acquire yourself for free via the internet. For the most part, the answer to that question is no. It's obviously a sham and a cash grab. Most employees would be far better at their jobs if they skipped the 4 useless years acquiring debt and participated in some sort of apprenticeship system, but of course aside from electricians, plumbers, and a few other trades, apprenticeships have been killed off in favor of sending kids to colleges as a hoop to jump through.

Ultimately my degree was in history, I got hired doing software development because I had a friend who knew I could code and needed someone else as a junior dev on his team. I took that opportunity and ran with it to the point where I'm a project manager today and making 200k. My advice to any youngsters today is to get a degree as cheaply as possible. Go to community college, get the AA and insta-transfer those credits to a state university, take as many credits per semester as they allow you.

based. fuck engies.

I’m just here to say immigrants only depreciate wages and keep citizens from obtaining secure well paying careers.

Instead the elites imported millions of serfs to suppress wages. Labor gets fucked again. We need protectionist policies for American workers.

imagine samebotfagging this hard

that post, wrong one

I went for accounting and definitely learned a lot. Not to mention that in PA at least, you need 150 credit hours to get the CPA so if you want to advance in the profession, a bachelor's degree is pretty much a requirement.

Absolutely, otherwise this is what you'll see until the end of your days.

Attached: 20190111_072615.jpg (2560x1440, 1.3M)

neck yourself faggot

Attached: 3222C20C-250E-4F1F-92C6-6E26AFA1F478.jpg (600x800, 110K)

Law is a trade school.

It proves you can sit still for more than one day at a time.

stop fucking posting, at least go back to /b/

college displays you are a capable cog who can take orders and perform them without critical thought

Yes, people who go to college are smarter than those that don't

>I still wonder how can I be invisible standing @ 6ft3in.
Holy shit are you me? 6'4 though

it's fun

>be me
>attending a state college
>have to do an English 201 class as part of degree
>Not that an English 201 class is highly advanced, but it's still a second year college level English class
>a regular routine in class is to exchange papers and peer review before handing them in
>always have to exchange with someone different so you're not just grading a friend's paper
>Without fail, every single one of my classmates struggles to properly spell any word containing more than 4 letters
>Without fail, every single one of my classmates has no idea how/when to properly use basic punctuation like commas
>Everyone passes

College is a fucking joke.

Attached: 1561350538972.jpg (632x632, 69K)

Chinaman, gtfo and stay out

Hang in there Walmart-user, we're all gonna make it.

dunno but these quotes were always fun to read (4 me @ least):
freemansperspective.com/genius-thinks-education/

*shrugs*

Attached: ttFXvJ1qmzmuio1_500.jpg (500x375, 26K)

>t. chicano studies major

Attached: 1562471090289.jpg (364x205, 19K)

College just shows you have the ability to learn in your chosen field. It’s that simple.

I don’t use around 70% of the shit I was taught in college.

>most people aren't capable of thinking outside of any boxes.
Based and true

I’m not here to learn. I just want to get drunk. And major in business. And learn how to fuck.

>Because college is a meme. If you get a solid STEM degree then you are likely to land a high paying job that doesn't require manual labor. However, most people that attempt to go to college do not belong in a college environment. As in they are:
>>not intelligent enough to comprehend higher level course material
>>more concerned with "exploring themselves"
>>DUDE WEED LMAO and don't specialize in >>a specific field or actually pursue a degree

Not even, those college/uni tier jobs are over-saturated. Everybody is going for these kinds of degrees because they assume that's where the money is that, but it's not like a typical manual labor gig where there's a massive carrying capacity, since a lot of it is physical busy work. A general rule of thumb is that the more specialized a 'field' or 'position' is, the less people are needed to fill said positions. Thus, we end up with tons of 'educated' plebs who cry on twitter about their useless degree.

We're getting the point where AI & botnets are slowly taking over jobs like clerical work, or data entry.

It's really quite the dilemma, because the elites are bringing in tons of immigrants to fill the economy's carrying capacity, but in a few years they're going to be useless due to AI/robotics. Going to be an interesting couple of decades.

College makes you more "educated", whatever that means.

There's almost no reason to go to college these days unless you know exactly what you want to do with your life and that path REQUIRES a degree. Well I guess networking is probably a pretty important aspect of college as well.

Attached: 1553872271431.png (640x274, 109K)

>Holy shit are you me?
What do we call the day we kill all redditors? Day of the fedora? Day of the razor?

As compared to what?

I am no such thing

Attached: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.jpg (600x544, 43K)

A normie frat boy with no self awareness? Yeah, sure. But a redditor?

Stop pretending that Jow Forums is this secret meme website, and that there isn't a significant userbase overlap between the two websites.

Reddit is good for certain things. Their politics definitely is not one of those, though.

Learning how to communicate better than you did in high school lets you understand the world around you better.

What is the difference between these two sentences, except for a bunch of unnecessary words?

Just dont go the arts path with that degree and you should be ok

Also dont fuck your subordinates.

The experience is highly degree and university dependant. It also depends a lot on the incoming students personality and how serious they are about certain aspects of their lives.

PhD in chemistry ask me your questions.

Attached: 1562518896478.jpg (581x261, 17K)

it can make you more knowledgeable on a certain thing, but it cant make you smarter
You can learn more at home with the internet or a book anyway, and that wont cost thousands of dollars

Yes, it makes you smarter. The way they think about things is very powerful, and you are pushed to your limits by your fellow students.

I swear, after a summer quarter of not studying at all, my first few lectures back i could literally feel my brain getting a workout, like a muscle I had been neglecting

Is Graphene the future?

It's been the future for the last 30 years.

>Does college actually make a person more smart, qualified, skilled, or knowledgeable?
Nope.
>be me
>be 2x tech school drop-out during mid-90s while working shit jobs
>realize that I need to be my own boss
>opportunity to get into niche retail field arises when person I met has business they say is failing and they're about to give up on
>know I can turn that shit around despite lack of training
>get them to go online in early ages of internet retail shit
>already competition there, they try to wipe us out at every turn because they were a kike-run biz, and they hated us getting into their little field
>too fucking bad, kikes, not giving up
>grow considerably every year while learning as I go, operating on autist intstincts alone
>outgrow competition
>beat out dozen other competitors who came up during first decade of 2000s
>keep growing
>become most recognized and awarded retailer in my field, have wall full of plaques to show for it
>shoppers in field vote me #1 every year for well almost 15 years now
>living the good life on my terms where my college-educated friends all struggle to not get cut from their decent-paying positions because they work for large corporations who are constantly shuffling departments and cutting people or demoting them to "contract employee" status to avoid paying benefits and better salary
I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Grug learn talk better, Grug learn think better

In 2019 college is largely a cargo cult. With the internet, anybody can self teach. However, there re some STEM fields that it's necessary to go to college for so you have access to unaffordable equipment and labs. Medicine is a big example.

Commas still somewhat confuse me, and semicolons are a different matter entirely, but how the fuck do you fail to make use of spellcheck?

Yeah but like many alternative materials and energy sources, it's barely used, when it could be used for a ton of shit. I'm asking if you think we'll see widespread adoption of graphene a-la plastic, also what are some other cool super materials & chemicals that are coming out

But so many word mean same thing, so why Grug have learn so many word? Wouldn't less word be betterer?

Remember: STEM education is a myth. You need at least a minor in business, economics, or some other appropriate field to get a good job with a STEM major.

Attached: mm (11).png (740x541, 37K)

Are you sure that wasn't just sleep deprivation?

It's just job training like anything else, unless you were dumb enough to go for a degree for which no actual job exists

>pi = 3
>e = 2
I'm willing to accept pi but e is closer to 3 than to 2, the real engineer way would be to day pi = e.

Graphene is really tough to process and make stable and reliable films out of it. That's the only thing holding it back. It's not soluble in anything (chemical pre and posttreatments can induce defects or destroy substrates), it's too heavy to vapor deposit, you need long extents of continuous bond connectivity (pi conjugation) to get any meaningful properties which are difficult to synthesize and then cast films out of. About all you can do with it right now is use it as a filter medium (scatter some down and then blast tiny holes in it with a highly focused laser). It's all really expensive to do anything with graphene. Sure it's the future but we're talking decades away. And people have been saying that since the 80s.

College or not is mostly an American question. If I lived in America I probably wouldn't go to college either. The only time college seems to be worth it in America is if you go into a high-paying field that will pretty much guarantee you a stable job, so medicine and practical STEM fields. It's a real shame, because other fields like the humanities are also deeply important, but have become kinda pozzed and aren't valued by a meme consumerist society. This anti-intellectual attitude of not valuing literature, history, anthropology, philosophy and such has sadly become prevalent and is being constantly expressed by the most low IQ of the STEMfags who shouldn't even be in their field to begin with (I have personal experience because I briefly studied electrical engineering at university before realizing it wasn't for me).

At any rate, if I decided to educate myself in some "non-practical" field in the US I would take it very seriously with a goal of carving out a legitimate academic career within the field. It would probably be very difficult, but half-assing your studies in those fields just seems like a recipe for being totally unemployable. Here in Europe the stakes are much lower, because university is often free if you do well on your exams. So you have a lot more flexibility with picking your field without ending up in debt.

As for the specific questions OP asked:

> More smart

Depends on how you define smart. If you're asking about pure general intelligence, probably not. If you're defining intelligence as an ability to solve problems more efficiently and quickly, the right college will probably give you the mental tools to better yourself somewhat in this regard.

> More skilled

Yup

> Knowledgeable

Yup

Attached: 43162258_1228991617241491_4393520543286951936_n.png (960x554, 907K)

I am in full support of a state-controlled system of education where the market would signal to the state how many workers are needed in each area and the state would determine you to go to a certain area based on that.
For example, the market tells the government that 10.000 production engineers are needed. The government then procedes to direct 10.000 people to production engineering, as it should be.
This is way more effective than letting people choose meme degrees on their own, where areas that actually need people have too few graduates and the areas that least need people have too many graduates

Thank you for your knowledge user, science makes my dick hard

My college has good and relatively uncompromised philosophy and political science programs. I intend on attending law school is why I'm majoring in those.

In my experience, it's honestly enriched my life. The world makes more sense and I've learned quite a bit of interesting lines of thought about the world. I'm also better able to plant seeds of doubt in normies and outright turn right-leaners against neocons and Israel within a few conversations now, but I never push politics because it's only natural if they bring it up first, and because it's like -1HP every time to discuss politics IRL.

Attached: dtjyk4hnxxm21.jpg (918x960, 54K)

The fun thing too is that everything "hot" in materials chemistry today is not new. It's all stuff thought up or postulated over a hundred years ago it's just that other peripheral technologies are finally unlocking some things and making it feasable.

statistically, people who complete four-year degrees earn more, report higher degrees of job satisfaction and general happiness, and even live longer than their non-degreed counterparts, even after controlling for the generally higher socio-economic status of those with degrees. anecdotally, autodidacts who eke out some degree of success are typically useful autistic idiot-savants who hyperspecialize in one hot topic that they are lucky enough to be able to milk for a while before people discover they're childish incompetent spergs at essentially everything else.

it depends on what courses they take and if they can actually take in that information or just briefly remember it to do well enough on tests.