What makes Gold so special and do we really need it?

I don't really know anything about economics. Let's just get that out of the way. Now here are my questions. What makes gold so valuable? Could we ever replace it with something else?

It seems like a few corrupt elites own most of it and so are able to manipulate the global economy however they want. Does it have to be this way? When you really get down to it, it is just some shiny metal. Is there really no other way to build a working economic system?

Attached: Gold.jpg (470x662, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Indian-housewives-hold-11-of-the-worlds-gold-That-is-more-than-the-reserves-of-the-USA-the-IMF-Switzerland-and-Germany-put-together-Is-it-good-or-bad-for-the-Indian-economy
bitchute.com/video/TKbkXiwa3Hhl/
mises-media.s3.amazonaws.com/Case for Gold_2.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

its a superior electric conductor and also very malleable

also looks nice and kind of relatively rare

it doesn't oxidate easily and it looks nicer than other precious metals

I can see how that would be good if you are trying to conduct electricity or make a sculpture, but, I was mainly asking about its financial worth.

Indian women have the largest gold reserves in the world, no joke.

It doesn't melt in most acids and has low electrical resistance.

quora.com/Indian-housewives-hold-11-of-the-worlds-gold-That-is-more-than-the-reserves-of-the-USA-the-IMF-Switzerland-and-Germany-put-together-Is-it-good-or-bad-for-the-Indian-economy

... The financial worth of a metal is dictated on its properties in the information age.
Old school, wealthy fucks wanted to create jewelry out if materials that were difficult to extract from the earth.
Silicons predecessor will exceed gold in value. Watch for news on carbon and nano materials, reconcile with quantum computing

Successor*

*dissolve

If we go back in history and ignore the fags who say muh electronics, it goes back to this: its shiny

it's shiny and boomers like it.

Not exactly a very common resource.
Humans also like pretty things, so it was only logical that the explicitly shiny, hard, long-lasting metal would make for a good primitive currency.
Silver looks like any other metal even after smelting, and gems were hard to cut back then and looked like each other sometimes.
Gold is distinct visually with relatively distinct properties and is difficult to obtain. It's like it was designed to be a valuable commodity.

Thanks for the tip.

>What makes gold so special
We were genetically engineered by an advanced space fairing society to mine gold as slaves, just smart enough to solve moderately complex tasks and just dumb enough to not understand what was happening.

gold is only worth something if somebody wants it

in ancient times many rulers wanted gold because it was rare and looked nice plus it didn't rust

but if there was a shtf scenario gold would be pretty useless to begin with and not worth much. Food and clean water would be worth more than gold at that point.

It's not a superior conductor. Copper is better. It doesn't oxidize much, so it's used in connectors

>low electrical resistance.
yet higher resistance than silver, copper, and aluminum
resistance to corrosion and malleability are better than most other elements

Wow shits weird, thanks user

I love asking questions on Jow Forums. You immediately get some high IQ responses.

>to mine gold as slaves
When the Spaniards came to the new world, the natives told them the gold 'belonged to the gods'.

It’s hard to obtain, and supply is limited
It’s an extremely excellent conductor of electricity, highly malleable and therefore used in circuit boards and electronic manufacturing in general.
Prior to it’s use in electronics, it was useful for chemistry and alchemy, and was a luxury item due to being difficult to obtain, and it’s shiny, people really like shiny things.

Yes, then they said we are the gods, we want it!

Scarcity, beauty, difficulty of extraction. It is not the case that gold is singularly beautiful. Native Americans readily exchanged their gold for glass beads because for them the latter was of greater scarcity/novelty and just as beautiful. Suppose that that a pink slime in like quantity to gold were distributed throughout the earth instead; would people consider it to be treasure or hoard it? Not unless it had some functional use.

>extremely excellent conductor of electricity
>higher resistance than silver, copper, and aluminum

Yr welcome

Looks baller af

It’s been valuable since the begining of time. Also it is one of the most conductive metals and meldable making it useful for industry

bitchute.com/video/TKbkXiwa3Hhl/

It's valuable now, likely because it's become a base for trading due to the factors below. Once anything tangible becomes a base for trading, as long as it has usage, it's value only increases as it's scarcity remains low.

It's malleable and pretty. People traded seashells too, but it's better than seashells because you can work it into whatever you want, even a seashell.

Muh electronics, yes.

'Some' being the operative word.

Gold is: rare, best conductor, doesn't rust or tarnish, made in super nova, is aesthetic as fuck, malleable for decorative/fashion/art purposes.

Durability.
Investment opportunities.

because it is the most malleable metal everyone in the world values it.

It also has all the properties of money. Its scarce, divisible, fungible, store of value etc.

Because money is a really valuable thing, gold's price has more to do with its use as money than its commodity value as an industrial metal

What are you trying to get at anyway?

because its shiny and other people seem to want it

BUY OUR GRAFENO

Our economic system isn't based on gold anymore dummy

there's also monoatomic gold, elites supposedly eat it and unlock their DNA with it or something

It's a natural money.
>portable
>durable
>not too much of it
It's simple as fuck why precious metals are precious metals.

Gold has higher corrosion resistance. Copper is still better tho

What you have to know, is the middle of America is filled with these psycho-deranged schitzophrenic people who coincidentally are hyper religious. They believe society will collapse any day now, and in the post-apocalyptic world they believe that Gold will be useful as a medium of exchange to barter with. So in the interest of surviving the apocalypse they invest all their savings in Gold and lose all their money

Attached: 1558811882804.jpg (673x960, 88K)

No one has mentioned eating monoatomic gold yet?

It amuses me that there are people out here like you, who believe that the concubines of the techno-barbarian warlords of the wasteland will stop wanting to wear gold jewelry, and that conveniently sized chunks of precious metals will cease to be a more convenient medium of exchange than barter.

it's shiny, it's desirable, it's non perishable and it's kinda rare. So it is valued as a currency.
>like a few corrupt elites own most of it and so are able to manipulate the global economy however they want
you can thank Nixon for that

Yes, that pile of bullshit was mentioned

this. its shiny and people who arent me want it. i know i do.

Not for mention
>attractive
>easily worked into a finished product by even people reduced to a neolithic technological level.

Aliens need it

Its rare and the only way to make more is via stars dying and it has a lot of interesting properties like not rusting etc

The right to property is the most important right of a free man. If you faggots want to learn something useful instead of just replying to memeflag kikes like the one that made this thead read: The War on Gold by Anthony Sutton.

Its stimulates the hind brain of humans because our ancestors traded shiny things to the women for sex.

It sounds very stupid to back currency on gold these days, given there are more expensive, rare, useful or highly demanded materials. Currency could be backed by multiple assets, for example. Anything could back currencies, but humanity chose the most retarded way: (((debt))).

It all goes to space and used as shielding in the hulls of solar Warden and the Dark Fleet.
Gold is what gets us through the Van Allen belts.

>It is malleable
>It is a good conductor
So what? I don't get it at all.

Attached: Image+03+-+Githzerai+Prayer.png (600x374, 346K)

>What makes gold so valuable?
Scarcity. All economics is based upon scarcity.
>Could we ever replace it with something else?
Of course, societies use all sorts of things as 'currency', from metals to salt to gigantic stones, but currency has to be naturally scarce. Platinum, silver, even cryptocurrencies all meet the requirement.
>It seems like a few corrupt elites own most of it and so are able to manipulate the global economy however they want
Ehh, it's more to do with the fact that most currencies are fiat, meaning that governments can just print more if they choose, which has awful effects on the market
>Is there really no other way to build a working economic system?
A good first step would be to end the Fed and remove control of money supply from government. Here's some excellent further reading on the topic: mises-media.s3.amazonaws.com/Case for Gold_2.pdf

Jow Forums unironically has the highest average IQ of any large social media platform. people like to imagine otherwise but first you must examine the competition.