Germany has tried to push hydrogen fuel cell car tech for decades

It never took off. They still kerp pushing it. Why? It’s complicated, expensive and the hydrogen is hard to store and costly to make in large quantities.

Attached: 15573D39-12D7-461E-8227-B647E4D18D09.jpg (1394x1394, 576K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajq46qHp0c
youtu.be/f7MzFfuNOtY
world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/US-federal-funding-granted-for-SSR-technology-deve
patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d0/de/ef/9a5c1da561dabd/US5149407.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Dingel
tradingeconomics.com/germany/imports-by-country
youtube.com/watch?v=lL6uB1z95gA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

German gas.

Hydrogen is based.
You can make it from water and a source of electricity. Storing it is not that bad. For example in Eastern Europe many cars run on propane because it's cheaper. Unlike electric cars hydrogen cars still use internal combustion so they are as powerful as gas cars and don't need to recharge for hours like electric cars.
It's easier to produce a hydrogen tank than a huge ass battery.

>Unlike electric cars hydrogen cars still use internal combustion
You are retarded.

>hydrogen is hard to store and costly to make in large quantities.

holy fuck, the retardation of shills, I swear to god... You literally need nothing more than water and an electric current to make hydrogen via electrolysis.

Krauts tried that before iirc. Also whats with them being obsessed with gas?

Attached: 194978-131-7B55B72C.jpg (300x225, 8K)

>. You literally need nothing more than water and an electric current to make hydrogen via electrolysis.
That is not a efficient way to manufacture it.

Hitler had gas.

Electric cars + Nuclear is the only way. Everything else is inferior.

Blue diesel is the future

the driving feel and acceleration are completely fucked up with non-benziners

Because Germany likes pushing failed projects. This isn't the first and won't be the last. It's only going to get worse because of the German cuck and soiboi now in upper management of these companies.

youtube.com/watch?v=1Ajq46qHp0c

They can do, look up HICEV, there are also fuel cell vehicles that an use electrochemical process instead though.

We should have electric geotrackers and jeeps and trains. That's it. We should stop building roads and just drive through creeks and shit. I'm tired of all this inefficient car bullshit even though I love me some sports cars and backroads.

>Hydrogen, the most plentiful element in the universe, is costly to store in large quantities

Almost any internal combustion engine can run off of propane or natural gas though.

> Unlike electric cars hydrogen cars still use internal combustion so they are as powerful as gas cars
What?
Electric cars produce much more torque (and almost instantaneously) than their ICE counterparts.

>Leaf has again no clue about anything

STORAGE YOU DUMB NIGGER.
It is hard to store hydrogen

You can have combustion engine with hydrogen.
Seems like most hydrogen vehicles use fuel cells though.
The infrastructure would be very expensive. Storing gaseous hydrogen is dangerous. Making it liquid is expensive and there are still some dangers.
Gasoline is very convenient compared to hydrogen.

>You can make it from water
But nobody does

wont that shit blow up x100 more powerful than a normal gas tank

listen up retards
hydrogen is commercialy produced from natural gas
hydrogen cars are natural gas cars with extra steps

you are welcome, continue to shitpost

Attached: 1534758510015.gif (500x375, 215K)

>Leave tank full of water with electric current going through it
>Add a few pipes to it to redirect produced gases
>Basically idle production aka extremely efficient in term of cost of production and maintenance
>Separating gases produced not even that much of a hassle since hydrogen far lighter than oxygen
>Hurr durr it not efficient

We have one of the dull one ITT it seem

They just keep presenting it as a viable option to give people hope.

Truth is, there is no hope.

based

they like the smell

Hydrogen is retarded
youtu.be/f7MzFfuNOtY

For once, I say the leaf if right.
Also consider another thing: power plants produce excess electricity at times (ex. night). While they produce excess, water electrolysis can be produced. So even an old-fashioned coal plant becomes highly efficient.

Whats the end transfer efficiency? How many watts of electricity and gallons of water does it take to achieve how many watts of electricity after converting the hydrogen to electric current?

They hate us cause they ain't us
You larp as my ancestors

Attached: 8zfwqh07ds531.jpg (416x416, 19K)

I've always thought this is how it would work. I'm ignorant as shit but isn't it just a process of electrolysis or something? Just have an alternator run a current through it or some shit?

Obviously Germany was trying to bank oil for a third try. Oil wins wars in the modern world.

Attached: someniggerfishpicturefrom4chan.jpg (125x125, 2K)

If we just had battery powered electric cars they would mostly be charged at night thus using up that excess electricity.

No it isn't, you humongous faggot.
You do realize there are already plenty of means of transportation that exist that can transport Hydrogen, right? It already exist, and it deemed safe enough to be transported via fucking 18 wheeler, so fuck off with that retarded bullshit about it being somehow unfeasible.

Benziiiiin!

Thanks for remembering me a song from Rammstein Hans, good old times.

Start an hydrogen business and go bankrupt.

>dude, just fill up at the sun, lmao

Good video too. Shame theyre lefty degenerates.

No user, can't you see? HE'll be the one to make it finally work.

Hydrogen seeps through even the metal. Imagine big uderground parking with malfunctioned ventilation and hydrogen cars.

That a question for an engineer of what would be the most secure and efficient level of voltage and etc, and if its idle then you wouldn't need that much current, just enough that it has a reasonable rate of production per unit then you simply copy-paste until you reach a reasonable global rate of production.
Electrolysis is the kind of shit you learn in high school, its that fucking basic. Never had a teacher do the experiment where they get hydrogen or oxygen into a vial and detonate it to impress the student? Its exactly the same shit, but rather than being in lab conditions its scaled for industrial production.

The hydrogen would rise to the top of said parking garage and stay there

Electric cars fucking suck. Digging up tons of rare Earth requires coal/natural gas.

You're a moron. The catalysts are easily poisoned and deactivated, leading to expensive replacements not to mention the fact that you need to drive around with highly compressed hydrogen making you a moving bomb. I don't know why you mentioned propane because propane and hydrogen are entirely different

True enough, but hydrogen fuel cells have a better energy density than batteries. Not as good as gasoline if my memory serves right, but we're looking for an alternative that'll be as convenient as gasoline.
Also, the electric cars being charged at night is many tiny households with low consumption while hydrogen fuel cell production could be much larger in scale and thus more efficient.

As mix with the oxigen of the air

Nuclear energy would completely knock coal/natural gas out of the game and make them economically nonviable.

Which is worse? Retarded kraut or retarded burger?

>run through fuel cell
>membrane corrodes and dies in 4 minutes

retard detected

I mechanized a hydrogen fuel cell and put it on a golf cart for my EE/CENG capstone product. AMA

(hydrogen is retarded for vehicles and is really only viable for emergency backup power)

Hydrogen is dope. Renewable energy is intermittent, somewhat inefficient, but it is pretty much free. The issue I think is lack of infrastructure and politics. In Germany's case, I think they are tired of importing American energy, but they don't think pissing them off by buying Russian energy is a good idea either.

Attached: 1542262521646.gif (300x300, 1.5M)

Hydrogen is a shitty fuel, since you have very low energy density to volume when it's in gas form, and it's expensive to compress it to a liquid. And then there's the whole safety aspect.

>Disingenuous faggot act like he btfo me by using some retarded pseudoargument that disregard the obvious fact that as a citizen I couldn't get the permit to handle Category 1 gases

God I hate your kind the most, the kind that think they're being clever but can't offer shit for it than snarky comment that goes nowhere.

Came here to post this. Didn’t work out so well last time.

Attached: 8293D6AD-674B-4297-85E5-88218E69BFB8.jpg (300x245, 18K)

>Do a DIY hydrogen fuel cell with civilian access material and jury rig it to a fucking golf cart
>wonder why its inefficient

As long burger land remains the dominant empire, their will NEVER be a first world country with a renewable energy economy.
They heavily rely on fossil fuels being sold in their currency so they will shut down any genuine attempt at fiding any type of alternative sources of energy.

It's the opposite of free to process hydrogen from anything else. You either produce the most pollution when taking from natural gas, or spend the most in making it usable if you try to take it from air or water

COPE

There isn’t enough lithium on the planet to replace every vehicle with an EV

The last hydrogen thread I read said it was corrosive as fuck and the whole field needed to be dropped.

>That a question for an engineer of what would be the most secure and efficient level of voltage and etc

engineer here. You're retarded.

I can drive on sunflower oil

Safety only require engineering. There was a time when natural gases were seen as dangerous due to its volatility and tendency to crass pipes, then came Nafta, then Propane which is so safe its a staple for countless type of machines to the point you can legally have a 600 liter reservoir on your pick up if you desire it such

Echo

>hydrogen

So Hindenberg 2.0? Fuck Germutts are stupid.

world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/US-federal-funding-granted-for-SSR-technology-deve

top fucking kek bong
always remember the 6 gorillion

Attached: when-you-decide-to-go-full-gas-german-engineering-at-16078041.png (500x541, 170K)

in
> 5.2 kWh/litre
out
> 2.8 kwh
It's garbage

You mean nuclear + coal synthetic gasoline

>use electricity to electrolyse water to hydrogen gas
>spend X amount of energy purifying gas
>spend X amount of energy transporting gas from purification facility
>fill car with explosive, pressurized gas
>use even more energy to drive forward the reaction
>have MV output rail inside your car, because fuel cells are shit for efficiency at lower voltages
>require essentialy a gyroscope, the fuel cell must be level at all times
>any leak on your input cell would poison the catalytic membrane and would require thousands of dollars of repairs

vs

>use electricity to charge vehicle battery
>drive electric vehicle
>civilian access materials

My project was sponsored by Ballard and they provided me with a commercial grade fuel cell typically used for backup energy at power substations.

I'll admit it's a better use than burning it for electricity.

>ou literally need nothing more than water and an electric current
>an electric current

Yeah, that is what I said. Hard to make, you need huge amounts of electricity. Currently, all hydrogen sold in Germany for cars is a byproduct of the chemical industry.

Though you would still have to transport the hydrogen and nothing touches efficient energy transfer over distance like electricity. I don't think well find anything as convenient and cost friendly as gas/oil. I would venture to say that we don't particularly need more than 200 mile per charge except everyone wants to take their vehicle across country once every few years and that's all the reason they need to demand 1000 miles per charge. I think it's ridiculous. It is fair to consider how polluting batteries are though.

the problem is that it takes a huge amount of electricity to do this, is a very inefficient system.

this was the key to the stanley meyer car, """"supposedly"""" he discovered a way to make electrolysis at high efficiencies.

If any user wants to experiment with this go read his patent and concentrate only on the part about the electrolysis process forget about the rest, the key is this process.

(I'm still dealing with other things to go fully into this...)

patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d0/de/ef/9a5c1da561dabd/US5149407.pdf

Attached: meyer- US5149407.pdf.png (1013x631, 97K)

>wont that shit blow up x100 more powerful than a normal gas tank
No, hydrogen doesn't blow up, it releases slowly into the environment.

just a little hydrogen makes combustion much more effective

also engineer, anyone talking about hydrogen is selling natural gas or has a 80 IQ

>importing American energy,
And with that you mean French nuclear fuel. We are currently the largest net electricity exporter of the EU.

>So Hindenberg 2.0?
The Hindenburg went up in flames because they used flammable materials with hydrogen.

Also, most passengers actually just walked out of the whole thing, only a few idiots burned.

Hydrogen for transportation is a really terrible idea, because of the nature of hydrogen.

Every machine fails. But if a fuel tank of a gasoline car gets punctured, it won't blow up. A hydrogen car will. Using hydrogen for energy storage far separated from people is more viable. But still not as efficient as other forms of energy storage.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
See this. Compressing hydrogen to a liquid will waste a shitload of energy on the compression. While keeping it in gas form, even if compressed, will have a really low energy density compared to other fuels, meaning you'll need a lot more volume on your fuel tank.

Nevermind that hydrogen will leek out of anything, since it's the smallest molecule there is. So you can't really store it for extended periods of time anyway.

It's basically extremely impractical, especially when you can use hydrocarbons instead. Even methane solves most of the problems.

>fill car with explosive, pressurized gas
Hydrogen is filled up as a cooled liquid, not a gas.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Dingel

>be Flip
>invent hydrogen car
>everyone, the government and world's scientists are suddenly against you
>get sued by your investor after a decade of developing prototype and found guilty by the court
>dies suddenly

And what's the boiling point at standard temperature and pressure?

Hence why it is pressurized.

Yes, so? You store at 350 bar or 700 bar here. Works fine. I don't think there has been a single incident with a hydrogen car in Germany and there are thousands.

Attached: Storage_Density_of_Hydrogen.jpg (1920x1252, 315K)

bmw can hardly make a proper car were everything isint falling apart wat makes u think they will evolve into hydrogen

>Why doesn't my government what to kill every human on the planet?
Based retard

Attached: 1528068812639.jpg (478x458, 23K)

BMW makes great cars, what are you even talking about??

>allready have a viable method of making bio diesel with the Utah method
>try everything else instead of just making that economicaly viable

just Shows that theyre all corrupt and just want to sell you the next best shit, Environment be damned

It can work. We've recently been experimenting on hydrogen trains here.

It's not that it will completely replace batteries or oil as fuel, but will have its own uses along with newer battery tech.

It's still a good thing.

Well, here in Germany they have in 2018 and in current year invested Jesus high amount of moneys into the hydrogen fuel stations. They are really pushing this now. They want over a thousand hydrogen fuel stations and over a million cars on the road running this.

My guess is this is an indirect subsidy for the chemical industry here, which can do big business producing hydrogen from methane... probably worth 10s of billions of euros by 2030, if the strategy works.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 9.39.49 AM.png (1774x786, 508K)

tradingeconomics.com/germany/imports-by-country

You guys trade more with the US than Russia, but import 10x more fuel from Russia. As for nuclear, it looks like you get your equipment from China. Germany is pissing America off. Germany used to trade way more with the US. You guys export energy because you have smart dudes who can provide the service so you buy buy energy that you can resell.

TLDR you export locally, but import globally.

Attached: plant food.jpg (1242x2110, 532K)

hydrogen trains are not as stupid as hydrogen cars. Keep in mind, the hydrogen is pressurized, but not liquified. Still not as effective fuel as methane, or other pressurized gases. But at least trains can actually carry a fuck huge fuel tank for the pressurized gas, and they're not as likely to get punctured as a tank on a car, and if they do get punctured, the likelihood of life loss is very low if these trains are used for transporting goods, and not people.

Liquified hydrogen do have some uses in fuel cells though. But it's usually very specialized, like submarines, and in space. It just takes way too much energy to turn hydrogen into a liquid to be economical.

Also, I see there's lots of hydrogen buses and cars around the world today. But what most people don't get is that the hydrogen is not made through electrolysis, as it's too expensive. 4% is made through electrolysis, while 78% is made through steam reforming natural gas and oil. Which releases CO2.
So those hydrogen buses and cars are really not any more environmentally friendly than regular cars. The only difference is the CO2 is released during the production of the fuel, rather than the combustion of the fuel.

>hydrogen is hard to store
up until now
now carbon fibre is a thing

Hydrogen is safer than most of fossil fuels, it's been used on submarines for many years in case you're wondering

Kikes suppress any kind of efficient battery technology and demand retarded emissions related bureaucracy, so manufacturers are getting desperate.
Current EVs are heavy as fuck because Lithium batteries are huge, the best compromise would be a small battery (supercapacitors or regular ones) with a highly tuned range extender using methanol, gas, diesel, alcohol, propane or other fuels. But this increases efficiency too much and allows alternatives to (((oil))) so kikes are suppressing this too.

>Hydrogen is safer than most of fossil fuels, it's been used on submarines for many years in case you're wondering

It takes a shitload of energy to compress it enough to do so. And the hydrogen is still made from fossil fuels. So not any less CO2 get released.

Submarines use hydrogen because it's a great way to make them run silent, not because it's environmentally friendly or economical at all.

the same reason Germany has 2nd highest expensive electricity in Europe, because muh Energiewende, a retarded government beholden to eco-fanatic religion
youtube.com/watch?v=lL6uB1z95gA

if they cant trust germarn citizens with guns, what makes you think they are going to trust them with large tanks of hydrogen

>It takes a shitload of energy to compress it enough to do so. And the hydrogen is still made from fossil fuels. So not any less CO2 get released.
Hydrogen can be extracted as a by-product from nuclear reactors that's why it's critical to be in conjunction with reactor technologies
>Submarines use hydrogen because it's a great way to make them run silent, not because it's environmentally friendly or economical at all.
They're both, running a conventional combustion engine inside a sub would be an extreme waste of air thus making it more vulnerable, that's why nuclear subs got so popular amongst big countries.

Yeah lets see what happens if 200 million cars needed a shitton more plattinum and other precious metals for an exploding air battery.

>Hydrogen can be extracted as a by-product from nuclear reactors that's why it's critical to be in conjunction with reactor technologies
You have no idea what you're talking about. It's possible to use nuclear power to create hydrogen, but it's not a byproduct.

>They're both, running a conventional combustion engine inside a sub would be an extreme waste of air thus making it more vulnerable
you realize fuel cells need oxygen to work, right? It's more efficient than a combustion engine, but it's still using oxygen. It's just that you won't get any CO2 from it.