The Last Slave Ship Survivor Gave an Interview in the 1930s

>Hurston’s book tells the story of Cudjo Lewis, who was born in what is now the West African country of Benin. Originally named Kossula, he was only 19 years old when members of the neighboring Dahomian tribe captured him and took him to the coast. There, he and about 120 others were sold into slavery and crammed onto the Clotilda, the last slave ship to reach the continental United States.

>The Clotilda brought its captives to Alabama in 1860, just a year before the outbreak of the Civil War. Even though slavery was legal at that time in the U.S., the international slave trade was not, and hadn’t been for over 50 years. Along with many European nations, the U.S. had outlawed the practice in the early 18th century, but Lewis’ journey is an example of how slave traders went around the law to continue bringing over human cargo.

>To avoid detection, Lewis’ captors snuck him and the other survivors into Alabama at night and made them hide in a swamp for several days. To hide the evidence of their crime, the 86-foot sailboat was then set ablaze on the banks of the Mobile-Tensaw Delta (its remains may have been uncovered in January 2018).

>Most poignantly, Lewis’ narrative provides a first-hand account of the disorienting trauma of slavery. After being abducted from his home, Lewis was forced onto a ship with strangers. The abductees spent several months together during the treacherous passage to the United States, but were then separated in Alabama to go to different plantations.

history.com/news/zora-neale-hurston-barrac00n-slave-clotilda-survivor

Damn..

Attached: 1486116699721.jpg (1920x1080, 1.22M)

Benin :DDDD

>vers sold by other nogs
Wytepipobad

Enslaved by his own people in Africa, sold to Jewish slave traders, and sold to mixed-race slavers in America? That's a majority of American slave experiences btw.

I'M AN ALABAMA NIGGER AND I WANNA' BE FREE

I like how they left out that that last slaveship was brought in on a fucking bet between some rich yanks who happened to have business in Alabama lmao.

>Along with many European nations, the U.S. had outlawed the practice in the early 18th century, but Lewis’ journey is an example of how slave traders went around the law to continue bringing over human cargo.

How can people do things if theyre illegal

>>Along with many European nations, the U.S. had outlawed the practice in the early 18th century
this was news to me

They think it be like it do but it dont

>benin
>kossula = boozetown

>Enslaved by blacks
>Sold to kikes
Ayyy white boi, gibsmedat reparations

Yes, slavery was legal but no slaves could be legally imported after 1808. All others were bred from existing slaves.

That these facts are not common knowledge is proof that the international media is in the hands of the perpetrators.

Reparations are to do with the treatment post-slavery not before or during. All those people are dead and their promised lands were stolen.

Speaking of reparations hows canada doin

Give all land back to First Nations, leafcuck.

We have already paid and continue to pay reparations.

Attached: 1563418523372.jpg (511x836, 109K)

who cares? slavery was almost a universal practice until white anglos put an end to it. whats your point?

Attached: 1510547340020.webm (640x480, 2.27M)

upvoted

Attached: slaves.jpg (560x728, 70K)

There's no reason to get mad. I was just explaining to him what reparations imply.

He forgot to mention that blacks enslaved blacks and that white still enslave whites to this day.

>Clotilda
Is that a jewish name?