Welcome to Land Ownership General. ITT we discuss the ever-political topic of land ownership. Post tips, memes...

Welcome to Land Ownership General. ITT we discuss the ever-political topic of land ownership. Post tips, memes, infographs, etc. Topics of interest vary from gardening, off-grid, nutrition, permaculture, DIY, to construction.
Please contribute what you know or have, ask questions, and enjoy the thread.

>read pic related
Permaculture, written by Bill Mollison, is a fantastic book and a must read for anybody with a garden. It details alternative agricultural practices that work with mother nature instead of against her.

Attached: 519+s91wuFL.jpg (334x500, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

landwatch.com/
landandfarm.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk
sustainablenations.org/Resources/Passive Solar Greenhouse.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=YvOW56x29B0
youtube.com/watch?v=3OwXEIxeKoU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sick_building_syndrome
teamlaw.net/land.htm
greenhomebuilding.com/vernacular.htm
greenhomebuilding.com/buildtolast.htm
cement.org/docs/default-source/th-paving-pdfs/soil_cement/eb003.pdf?sfvrsn=2
pastebin.com/grvmwQ01
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Water for Every Farm
Another must read. This book, and other books by the same author, detail water conservation methods. Using contour swales and dams, those in even dry climates can have abundant water. Begin with Permaculture, then move into this.

Attached: 9780909325299-us.jpg (318x500, 51K)

Dont fall for the meme that land is expensive. In every state of the union you can find inexpensive land of varying acreages.
landwatch.com/
landandfarm.com/
Many other websites exist, these are just two that I have used. The plot of land to call your own is out there anons. Go find it and start building your life

Attached: 9338939420_fbf6e1c327_o.jpg (831x604, 375K)

You dont have to own land to grow, though. Anybody with a window (preferably south facing), can grow all the herbs and greens you can eat. Go to the hardware store, buy 6 flower pots, soil, and seeds. Youll spend less than $30, and have a wholesome new hobby.

Attached: HER-BAS01-2.jpg (500x500, 157K)

>Earth Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book
The description is in the name. This book guides the reader through the process of building a passive solar greenhouse. These are crucial to have in cold weather climates. They allow anybody to grow tropical fruits and vegetables year-round.

Attached: Earth-Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book.jpg (347x499, 31K)

>More on passive solar greenhouses.
A passive solar greenhouse is a greenhouse that is able to remain active year-round, without an expensive active form of heating. Using a combination of the sun's heat, animal heat, and geothermal heat, it maintains a minimum of 50°F in the coldest parts of winter.
These can be constructed fairly cheaply, using plastic or glass.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk
sustainablenations.org/Resources/Passive Solar Greenhouse.pdf

Attached: 8ff7bd4ff1518cdf9cd405279eee7540.jpg (1066x800, 185K)

Animals are an essential part of any permaculture farm. They produce manure, which can be used for fertilizer. They produce fresh and natural food, such as milk, cheese, eggs, and meat. Small animals are easy to adopt for even suburbanites. Chickens, rabbits, goats, etc. Larger animals obviously require more land.
youtube.com/watch?v=YvOW56x29B0
youtube.com/watch?v=3OwXEIxeKoU

Attached: Developing-livestock-in-Balochistan.jpg (1045x475, 451K)

Do NOT fall for the suburbs meme. Buying a plywood box, wrapped in plastic, and topped with asphalt singles is a terrible idea. For the price of a typical new suburban home, you can purchase acres of land a few hours away. Spending your life wageslaving away to pay for a 30 year mortgage isnt worthwhile. Buy a slice of heaven and build your life there.

Attached: 1564070058015.jpg (1000x664, 1.15M)

You can use natural and free materials around you to build a beautiful and healthful home.
>Sick Building Syndrome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sick_building_syndrome
There are so many toxic substances around you in a conventional building that there is a disease named for it. Instead of using natural and healthy materials, we use manufactured products. These products come with harmful chemicals that cause cancer, lung problems, asthma in children, etc. Take the greenpill and build your own home, free of hazardous industrial chemicals.

Attached: cb1-04-2.low.jpg (640x480, 64K)

Today's farmers are not like the farmers of yesteryear. Farmers of the past grew a variety of produce for their local market. They contributed to thriving and healthy communities. This, sadly, is not the case for the conventional farmer of today. Farmers now, are glorified welfare queens. They take government subsidies to produce grain at below market cost. Corn, s o y, and other industrially useful crops are found in his field, not vegetables and fruits. Recover the traditions of old, and grow for your local markets.

Attached: 171120-beginning-farmers.jpg (1200x800, 1.07M)

Excellent information, bumping.

Remember Eastern European countries have cheap land since the old are dying off and the naive young crowding into cities. Any western currency spent here has its value multiplied.

I will be happy to answer any questions that anons have. I have been growing and co-administering a small farmers market with a group of friends for 6 years. We have been growing steadily and hope to continue improving

Thanks for the bump and for complimenting my thread. Good tip too for euro-anons. Do you farm/garden?

I’m currently city vermin from Chicago, but my dream is to make money and move back here and start becoming as self sufficient as possible. The information posted here is invaluable, it’s a shame most don’t realize it.

I appreciate that. This thread usually does alright, sometimes it reaches bump limit if i carefully tend it. Im sorry to hear that, but I lived in a pretty large city until i was in my 28. It takes time unfortunately. Do you grow herbs or greens in pots or anything?

Not yet but I most likely will once I move into my new place back home. I have plenty of aesthetic plants already but I should grow something practical. Any suggestions for a cramped apartment? I’ve been thinking about growing tea herbs and drying them myself.

>Read pic related
Written at the turn of the last century, this book is an invaluable resource for re-learning the traditional wisdom that kept people healthy and happy for millennia.Weston Price traveled the globe at the brink of the modern world, documenting traditional diets of people groups all around the world. Their habits kept their populations growing and thriving, something we can all learn from in the age of obesity.

Attached: Nutrition&PhysicalDegeneration.jpg (313x475, 37K)

My wife grows mint and lemonbalm that she used to make herbal teas. They taste fantastic and she grows way more than we can drink. If you have a south facing window and enough space you can grow almost anything you want. Basil, Lavender, Chamomile, Mint, Lemonbalm, Lemon Verbena, etc. all make wonderful teas are are foolproof to grow. Make sure your window faces any direction but north, or you might get frustrated when they wont grow that well.

anyone have success selling their produce to restaurants? We have been trying auctions but I feel that it is the lowest price point around.

Never tried desu. There are not that many restaurants in my area though. One of my neighbors has a pretty good relationship with a few restaurants though. I can give him a call this morning and see what he would recommend. If the thread is still up I will post it. Sorry i cant give more assistant than that at the moment.

>Post tips,
teamlaw.net/land.htm

>We have been trying auctions
all the buyers at an auction form a clique and squeeze you

>read pic related
This book discusses different fermented foods from around the world and their benefits. Gut health is very important to overall health.

Attached: 51EH53F33VL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (315x474, 41K)

Selling to restaurants means approaching the chefs in person and convince them off your products.
>get a restaurant usable basket of your goods
>a weekly newsletter wit what will be available in what quantities and prices
>set delivery times
>local product, from the farmer to the table blabla
Remember if you show up to restaurants it should always before 11:00 or 14:00-16:30 as they don't have time at all in rush hours and if you want to pitch something to them they will throw a pan at you.

If the restaurant has actual chefs that cook with fresh products and don't just warm up shit they will buy pretty much anything.
Caught 15 trouts in the morning? There's a chef eager to buy them and put as "while it lasts" lunch special.

t. selling berries, salat, young carrots , game and fish to 5 local restaurants since over 8 years.

Something of interesting for land owning anons. Pic related is called a "trompe". They produce compressed air through a natural quirk. Water falls faster than air can rise up in water. Thus, the air is trapped into a storage tank by the falling water. A small scale version of this can be used for aerating a fish pond. But, a large version could be used to produce high pressure compressed air. The sky is the limit if you had that. One could use this for turning a generator, cooling in summer, or even to power a vehicle. Trompes run without moving parts and last almost indefinitely if maintained.

Attached: 400px-Taylor_trompe_sketch.svg.png (400x304, 40K)

Found this big guy in my back yard last month

Attached: 4558.jpg (1447x2573, 1.16M)

This is true. Almost any buyer will, even grocery stores. I think its best to form a coop that represents multiple farms in your area. Ours has acted as a de facto union for our interests.

Thank for that very good answer. What do you grow, user?

No bears where I live. All we see from time to time is deer or coyotes. You must be somewhere out west?

Building your own home is one of the most rewarding experiences you can have. Its important to do your homework first, though. Research vernacular building styles and methods from your area. Chances are, they will perform better than any modern design.
greenhomebuilding.com/vernacular.htm
greenhomebuilding.com/buildtolast.htm

Attached: pkl_3820.jpg (1000x600, 674K)

>Take the greenpill and build your own home, free of hazardous industrial chemicals.
what materials should I use?
also: isn't there a building code that forces you to use certain types of materials?

np.
I have a large plot of strawberries and then following perma culture the entire area is fenced off by blackberry, raspberries and currants. In high season they produce more than we could ever handle.
Two large beds for cutting salad and from end of august on will be turned into winter crop beds, one medium for young carrots (quick crop and in demand).

The rest of the land is used for our family needs so a bit of everything.

Building code depends heavily on where you are. If you live in a city, then yes. If you live in the country, buy the building inspector a beer and explain what youre doing. Chances are, hes just like you and will be interested in the process and idea. I recommend using soil-cement blocks for the walls. That is what I use almost exclusively unless asked by a client for something else. They are as durable as all hell, and as cheap as dirt. Completely free of anything harmful. Focus your attention on the roof and the foundation. Remember the saying "all a house needs is a good hat and good boots."
cement.org/docs/default-source/th-paving-pdfs/soil_cement/eb003.pdf?sfvrsn=2

I'm in the Upper peninsula my dude. It's cheap land with beautiful terrain, if you can tolerate 4 feet of snow every winter

Very nice. I have never had much luck with strawberries. Most of them are eaten in the field before I can harvest them. my plot isnt fenced which might be my problem. How do you defend your berries?

Im in north wisconsin myself. So unfortunately more than used to snow. Obviously I dont go to the UP very often, didnt know it had bears. Beautiful skiing though. I went a few times in college.

We don't have many problems where I live. I mean some get eaten by birds or rabbits but those are small numbers and I don't care about it. Bird netting and raised beds are enough.

I dont have bird netting or raised beds. We have onyl a small plot of strawberries which might be our problem too. We lose well over half to critters. Ill consider raised beds. Know any cheap/easy ways to build them?

>Reminder that working in your garden is both good for both your physical and mental health

Attached: 1561031280036.jpg (442x532, 88K)

Sure the cheapest way is using cargo pallets. You get them for free from retailers, just take them apart and rebuild it the way it fits. Remember to cover the ground with narrow wire mesh fence before filling it up with soil.
That will keep large amounts of pests out.

Attached: 1280px-2012_USDA_Plant_Hardiness_Zone_Map_(USA).jpg (1280x853, 278K)

>Reminder
You have control over the course your life takes. Exercise this control.

Attached: 1784885-Bill-Mollison-Quote-The-only-ethical-decision-is-to-take.jpg (3840x2160, 2.16M)

Thanks for the tip. Ill check that out. I suspect rabbits are our primary foe. Maybe a fence would keep them out

have a bump homegrowbro
some interesting stuff itt

Attached: 1560138741638.webm (720x404, 1.61M)

Thanks for the bump. What are you growing netherlands user?

If it's rabbits a small fence will do the trick, just remember they're good at digging so burry the fence at least 20cm (about 8inch) deep into the ground. That will keep them out.

Good luck with your growing.

Yeah, I just dont want to commit the time to it right now. Ill probably try to get around to it come fall. Thanks user, you too

Point of discussion: What should this thread be titled? Ive been running with Land Ownership General because I have used it several times and the thread has stayed. Any anons have other name ideas?

Attached: 1564062341348.jpg (600x468, 39K)

Those are perfect projects for the winter and early spring. Pro tip:
>go to the diy stores around mid september thats when all the "garden" stuff goes on clearance and stock up for the next season.

The title is pretty good and the mods leave it alone so good job.

Also fyi there's a very much related thread on /out/
and their pastebin is top notch
pastebin.com/grvmwQ01

>mods leave it alone
Its the only name I found that they wont touch. I tried Self-Sufficiency General /ssg/ and it was shoah'd. Ive also tried Owning Land General and the same thing happened.

>pastebin is top notch
You arent lying. Ill have to steal a bunch of that. I thought about making one for this thread but there isnt enough traction on Jow Forums for it

I do the same thing. Anything that breaks I replace at the end of the year if I can wait. Locally owned hardware store near me composts all the yardwaste from a new towns and composts it. Goes on sale before winter. Excellent stuff.

weed, lol. but only for myself

Attached: 213123214.jpg (370x370, 46K)

Well it's pretty much a overlap with /SIG/ and the mods hate that. Never change a winning team as the saying goes.

They know their stuff and it's a damn friendly general.

That's the spirit.

I do that too. Usually have 5-6 plants at any one time. Very enjoyable and much much cheaper than buying it

>overlap of /sig/
Thats the plan. But with a gardening spin to it. Definitely isnt as popular as /sig/ threads when they are up though. But sometimes it surprises me and gets like 50-60 posters. Doesnt help that I forgot to title this one.

Bump

Attached: 1280px-Somerville_College.jpg (1280x960, 372K)