Everyone talks about the death of traditionalism in our culture...

Everyone talks about the death of traditionalism in our culture, and often modern architecture/art are brought up in those discussions. People point to the bland glass boxes that we build today. But what people aren't realizing that in many cities, especially New York, there has been a resurgence in classical art deco style buildings.

Bill de Blasio proposed a ban on glass skyscrapers earlier this year, and architects and developers have been calling for that to happen.

archinect.com/news/article/150149325/is-it-time-to-ban-all-glass-skyscrapers

Pic related is 555 west 22nd, and is under construction currently, an art deco style apartment building. I pray that the 2020's will see a resurgence in this style of architecture.

Attached: 555-west-22nd-street-Jan.jpg (1500x1956, 1.23M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powhatan_Apartments
youtube.com/watch?v=enbLZaUyr3s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper_Index
youtube.com/watch?v=jM8FGHWANhc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>art deco
gross.

220 CPS, completed in 2019

Attached: 220cps (1).jpg (1004x734, 133K)

as apposed to what? modern glass boxes?

Yeah, I've noticed this happening. Glass is utterly boring and people are craving beautiful classic skyscrapers again

30 park place, completed in 2016

Attached: 2016A51-PRELIM.515.psd_.jpg (750x1200, 166K)

it's fucking retarded to make them into luxury apartments. true art deco scrapers were always office buildings.

anything apartments should look like tall commie bloc towers so the rich fuck off to the burbs so the inner city remains affordable for working class plebes

520 park ave, completed in 2018
Super wealthy people want to live in art deco skyscrapers, a 240 million dollar apartment was sold in and the entire building is sold out, meanwhile the glass monoliths like Central Park Tower and One57 are struggling in sales

the time will come soon for an art deco office tower, There are tons of sites in midtown that are going to be redeveloped into multi million square feet office builds

Attached: IMG-5063-1-777x971.jpg (777x971, 140K)

30 east 29th, under construction

Attached: Rose-Hill-Hero-Credit-Pandiscio-Green-and-Recent-Spaces.jpg (1500x2102, 1.68M)

if it's around fifth ave that's one thing, the rest of the city needs brutalist residential scrapers to encourage those that aren't super wealthy to fuck off to the burbs

247 cherry, proposed

Attached: Cherry-St__Facade_up (1).jpg (1500x971, 935K)

and leave the inner city to the working class plebes that keep the city running

disgusting

art deco is the style of debauchery.
please get brutalist.

Absolutely incorrect. It was rarer for sure, but Art Deco apartment buildings-and I’m fact most apartment buildings built in the 1920’s in US cities are absolute god tier.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powhatan_Apartments

Attached: 0C1856AE-5972-4758-A167-D22A36851D16.jpg (600x900, 279K)

>the rest of the city needs brutalist residential scrapers to encourage those that aren't super wealthy to fuck off to the burbs
*rises in your neighborhood*

Attached: 33676428748_ec4acd8bce_b.jpg (683x1023, 232K)

Who cares? New York is dead, and the population primarily consists of shitskins and Jews, with actual whites making up barely a fourth of the population.

art deco should be offices and super wealthy apartments, brutalist for everyone elses apartments, people who larp as the super wealthy but aren't, fuck off to the burbs

looks like it used to be offices

9 dekalb, under construction

Attached: 9-DeKalb-Rendering-777x740.jpg (777x740, 115K)

There is no style but Neo Classical for important buildings that aren't skyscrapers. Art deco is acceptable for skyscrapers if it is combined with ornate features like statues and tasteful implementation of gold and silver ornamentation because though created by the French, it illustrates American business power well.

forgot pic

Attached: Power of American business.jpg (400x400, 38K)

45 broad, under construction

Attached: 45-Broad.jpg (711x771, 341K)

This. Thank you. Thread over.

Attached: 1551820009997.jpg (480x360, 21K)

>9 dekalb
That reminds me of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=enbLZaUyr3s

Nah. It’s cozy

Attached: 5D2DFB61-CF41-42E9-8A58-CA20D603C835.jpg (2000x1318, 805K)

isn't it strange how manhattan's skylines is relatively unchanged from the 90s except the wtc, then right around 2014 the skyline just starts exploding with supertall scrapers? seems odd right after the recession, methinks wallstreet made a lot of money from the crash.

everything was cozy in that era

There’s even a private ballroom for residents use.

Attached: 27737F04-4A80-4026-B885-7212C32B1AD1.jpg (750x497, 338K)

Look at these God tier aesthetics. There is no way you can deny that this is the perfect merger of antiquity and modernity. It shows the elegance of modern tastes while retaining knowledge of its ancestral history. Man once worshipped figures like Atlas, man has now become Atlas, it says.

Attached: Atlas at Rockefeller center.jpg (2000x2976, 3.45M)

funny enough, proliferation in skyscraper construction is a sign of a coming recession
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper_Index

Attached: 50140758_239976876945111_6143377578230065409_n.jpg (1080x1350, 147K)

manhattan wasn't exploding with new skyscrapers under bush

Pretty sure it's a dick measuring contest with the Chinese.

I like it way better than the modernist box. That and neo-gothic

there's plenty of other cities in america to shit up with these ugly towers. miami would be the best candidate.

None of that god awful open concept bullshit we have now.

Attached: D5A501D3-E89C-4A3B-B389-8352279487F3.jpg (750x490, 291K)

Not like there was today, but in the early- mid 2000s there was a similar skyscraper boom, One bryant park, 4 times square, New York times buildinh at the time those where some of the tallest buildings going up in the country, and there weren't too many supertalls around the world

Attached: 480px-New_York_Times_building.png (480x784, 495K)

YES, this one I like. I'm a fan of Art Deco, but the literal brick in the OP is a monstrosity.

Attached: hoover_dam_statues_by_fletchlives_d2fou0u-pre.jpg (1093x731, 82K)

Every era has a fatastical style of how they figured the future would look like.

1890s SteamPunk
1920s DecoPunk
1950s DieselPunk
1980s Cyberpunk
2010s Burgerpunk? Nihilist corporate hellscape?

That genuinely looks pretty cool. Like what people in the 50s thought buildings in 2020 would look like

wasn't anywhere near the kind of boom now

You’re forgetting AtomPunk

Holy shit that's gorgeous. The little friezes below the windows. I like that at ground level the interface is human-sized.

This is a mickey mouse, half assed imitation of 20's architecture. There is no detail, no ornamentation. That was always the important component of architecture, the motifs contained in the ornament. I seriously doubt this building will contain any allusions to greek mythology or christianity via ornament.

There’s no room in New York, so they keep building these ugly ass skinny modernist bricks.

they could 3d print that shit in

it was still a boom, only this boom has more buildings, and more taller buildings. Next boom, the buildings could be even taller.

Attached: 169596362.AWppuuAX.c13.jpg (1251x626, 107K)

The style I see emerging is environmentally merged buildings, what I mean by that is, buildings with parks on top of them, buildings with parks in the middle floor or terraces with parks on them. The truly based architect will incorporate a fish tank in the center of the building that rises all the way up to the top floor where it loops overhead and to the sides of the building. lol

nice trips

philly is right there, or boston, even hartford or providence.

I’ve got no problem with this, but putting trees on top of a glass building is just halfassed and ugly.

I think after 432 Park was completed people realized that modern architecture is dead.

Attached: 432-park-avenue_marshall-gerometta2.jpg (585x800, 130K)

That entire area down to DC is just one big city.

I designed that skyscraper when I was 4

I think a lot of the aesthetics of the 2020s are going to be parodies of the “roaring 20s”

So how would you feel about pic related because this is absolutely where they want to go.

Attached: ugly tree thing.jpg (800x635, 142K)

>This is a mickey mouse, half assed imitation of 20's architecture. There is no detail, no ornamentation. That was always the important component of architecture, the motifs contained in the ornament. I seriously doubt this building will contain any allusions to greek mythology or christianity via ornament.
this user gets it
i hate the glass and steel boxes like most but fuck that commie deblasio

Attached: dickhead.png (500x500, 33K)

there's a lot of country between em but it's retarded to keep nyc the engine for the whole thing like it's one city

Imagine going to school to be an architect, and this is your crowning achievement...

What are they trying to do with that? It’s got no function and it’s not appealing

I went to NYC once and I cannot imagine cities with 20+ million

If you want to barf, the developer of 432 wants to build a 1556 ft office tower in the same style called Tower Fifth

Attached: Tower-Fifth-Gensler.jpg (1024x683, 191K)

I shit you not this is what European capitals will start looking like. I am not fucking kidding. Not that tall, but that sort of ugly white and glass with plants hanging off of it aesthetic is all the open mouth pictured nerds like

its like that movie demolition man in theory but really more like running man in practice which is how the zoomers already resemble

It's the product of a society so obsessed with being progressive and forward thinking, that anything that is "original" is deemed as good, even if it is hideous.

Shit is fucking hideous. No wonder people are so depressed.

It's crazy to see a LOT of new buildings being built in NYC right now. I've never seen so much activity.
Like says, 432 Park is an abomination, and everyone hates it. Hudson Yards, as much business as it will get, is going to be ugly too.
Still, NYC is seeing a LOT of development. Some is good.

It is.... When houses become to expensive and are not selling we turn to apartment complex to squeeze as much profit out of a smaller land footprint.
Every time I get a scaffold boom in high rises a layoff is coming.

Texas is like that as well unfortunately, so much development, so much wealth pouring in. It honestly makes me wish the economy wasn't so good.

looks like simcity 2000 arcologies

Post your favorite Canadian building. I am not familiar with your architecture.

They want vid related.

youtube.com/watch?v=jM8FGHWANhc

I understand what you're saying and I'm really not trying to disregard your post or claim. But NYC, the greatest city in the world, is basically a construction zone, right now.

Canada has gold plated skyscrapers

Attached: 1-Royal-Bank.jpg (500x693, 76K)

From the city I grew up in. It's full of gooks now so I live in the mountains and joined white flight.

Attached: 1920px-Marine_Building_from_granville.jpg (1920x1438, 891K)

Attached: 1920px-Marine_Building_Lobby_2018.jpg (1920x1280, 598K)

fug is the building in the middle (just to the left of the tall one) in spider-man on PS1? pic related.

Attached: Spiderman.png (512x480, 72K)

Yeah, I definitely couldn't understand it on yalls scale, more pointing to the fact that I find this infinite growth nationwide to be disturbing in a way.

Attached: Vancouver_Marine_Building.jpg (768x1024, 328K)

Disgusting. European cities were once beautiful

Bump cool thread

25 park row, under construction

Yea, its called 550 Madison Avenue

Attached: 25-Park-Row-thumbnail-385x1024.jpg (385x1024, 99K)

>)
Reminds me of the interiors of some of the buildings in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Why should I give a shit about building eyecandy? Make something structurally competent, and be done with it you flaming homos.

im trying to find the movie im thinking of it wasnt running man but i think arnold scwarzenegger is in it and its filmed in the late 90s fuck he has some womens finger and gains access to the car and other shit

muh aesthetics

Attached: 62589811_2103616279749551_2998239385696075776_o.jpg (2048x1037, 485K)

Atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. This is a Russian city but just use your imagination in thinking what European cities could look like if the European soul was put into it rather than the modernist trash if even the Russians did this.

Attached: Smolensk.jpg (3383x3099, 1.25M)

Fuckin "get your ass back to mahhhs" movie?

Thankfully we still have a fair few 30's structures around. I love that era of art and architecture.

That's an abomination

111 west 57th, under construction

Attached: bw-rendering.jpg (700x1000, 403K)

If you ever come to the states, Washington D.C. has some areas where you feel like you're in a modern ancient Rome(silly turn of phrase I know), I forgot the name of the street, but literally every building on it is neoclassical and there are statues everywhere, D.C. is cool.

Attached: d.c..jpg (3575x2389, 425K)

Imagine the history classes that will talk about "the correlation of the decline in western architectural splendor with the decline in western independent thought"

end of days, that's what the jews want

Looks like a tall prison.

That's not Art Deco you retard.

no. the 6th day

A literal wafer cookie building.

There are a few that come to mind... Tokyo, Shanghai and Istanbul off the top of my head.