Why is it still so hard and expensive to build tunnels?

Just imagine the costs for tunneling would drop from hundreds of millions per mile to say 10 million dollar per mile as promised by Elon Musk.

This would allow America and Europe to build high speed rail in tunnels across the respective continents. You only need 10,000 to 20,000 miles of tunnel for a really good system. And in tunnels you can go straight, no curves needed to go around obstacles, so you can go 250 miles per hour easily in operations, if not 300 miles per hour. This means you could go from Berlin to Paris in as little as 2hrs or from Pittsburgh to New York City in 90min.

Attached: A99823B2-B5CA-41D4-98B8-0BB6E5894739.jpg (1772x1179, 613K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sheepletv.com/nuclear-tunnel-boring-machines-switzerland-has-nothing-on-us-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3WR2VIUKqY
countryeconomy.com/government/global-innovation-index
youtube.com/watch?v=BsqOLCXYznE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because we have yet to relearn how to simply melt and reform stone.

Attached: sacsayhuaman_zed.jpg (597x397, 82K)

There is no incentive to do things like this for cheaper, really. It would not make financial sense for the big $$ company to drastically reduce profits. Think "job security"

Because subsidizing American companies gives you votes and the more employees that corporation has the more votes and influence you'll net by giving them jobs. Same stagnation centered around guaranteed labor as in every other fallen civ, outpaced by those who have pressure to be more efficient. It was nice while it lasted.

interesting idea
but unfortunately we live in a world of niggers and jews so you can't have nice things

it's only hard and expensive for the civilian bore machines. the nuclear military ones are easy and cheap, and have drilled thousands of kilometers under the u.s
sheepletv.com/nuclear-tunnel-boring-machines-switzerland-has-nothing-on-us-2/

Also, sometimes you really have to wonder how much good could be done if you put pressure on the right people. In life or death situations like in wartime people are heinously more productive. It would be the perfect gear grease to have people with their asses lit on fire to speed shit like fusion research and cheap everlasting infradtructure.

Capitalism should bring costs down. If only we would have companies compete for tunneling, there would be a price competition that would see prices drop. Maybe not to 10 million a mile, but maybe to 50 million a mile from current 200-400 millions.

Because engineers actually need to do competent work on that or there will be billion euro lawsuits. It's not like consumer products where they can just shit out an inferior product.

that's where the aliens live

Attached: i_stole_this.jpig.jpg (788x699, 54K)

What happens more often is that one company gets the contract for some project after prototype testing and their competitor loses so much money after failing the bid thst they get bought up and turned into one company. That's what happened in the defense industry post WWII to today.

Musk is a meme. Hyperloop: fail, BTR: fail, humans in orbit: fail, going to mars: fail, tunnels: fail... Safety is a big problem. you need service tunnel, safety passageways every few hundred meters, pressure relief ducts, ventilation, fire safety systems... This is already as cheap as it can be. Unless you find a new break-through technology in tunnel construction (which Musk didn't) it's not going to get any cheaper.

Attached: 1.gif (629x331, 43K)

Here the companies only get a few million dollars fines after their projects run decades over budget and behind schedule and even kill people like with Bechtel.

Still, think about it. A tunnel is a commodity product. It’s a hole. Yes, you gotta make sure the tunnel doesn’t sink or collapse, but at the end it is just a hole, nothing more, nothing less. Why aren’t we efficient in hole drilling yet?

Attached: 72A0E574-9EA7-4240-B7C3-A182D9AD23B0.jpg (800x450, 64K)

War has always been the engine of science and a wildfire in corruption and inefficiency. It's why we're such huge faggots for the last 75 years

/thread

Those are all being worked on and paid for by market activity. What is your country innovating in? Accordion songs?

No, we do know how to do that. There are nuclear powered tunnel boring machines that can heat rock to cut through and shape it.

this

Seriously if some people had the imminent threat of missiles and men coming in from across the sea obliterating their family like WWII then you'd see many people speed things along even with profiteering going on.

Is that you Rogozin? Mad that daddy Musk is putting you out of business, top kek.

Attached: 13859701.jpg (1000x541, 95K)

You could also pipe fresh water inland to fight desertification which would rejuvenate the climate in localized areas, ergo creating more arable land and pushing food prices down.

Communism: people band together and build a tunnel with their own hands, and since it's a project in which both men and women participate, meet their wholesome hardworking gfs which they have fun with and later marry, then use the same tunnel to go on family vacations.

Capitalism: tycoons "buy" the very same tunnel for $1 from the state, sell it to foreigners for $10000000 and then "hire" their cousin to "repaint" it 12 times per year for $1000000 taken out of the taxes of the people who built it, they fuck the whores who stayed in the country, others went to whore themselves in Germany, tfwnogf for everyone else.

Almonds activated yet?

Hi there DUMB shill, how is the live in the rathole? have you managed to fix the AC, it must be hot downthere.

It's great. No "diversity". Geothermal provides all of our electrical needs.

Why 250 mph? Why not half? What kind of business do you have that you need to cross the continent in 2-3 hours? Do you realize how much fuel could be saved if only boomers flew to their vacation in Tunisia at half the speed?

The real issue with tunneling shit is the one no one is talking about. Easements. Air space has already proven to be controversial enough as is when drones came about but at least we already had airplanes as precedent. Those "straight shot" tunnel you are talking about? Cross thousands to potentially millions of various pieces of properties. And unlike air where they can go so high that there is no reasonable argument you were ever going to build up there. Digging below at the level they would be at for boring tunnels is entirely feasible and not only possible but already done for things like ground wells and other similar structures. So even ignoring the issue of you just spent trillions to dog a tunnel and now you ran into some fags million dollar professional bomb shelter.
The simple fact is it would be over my dead body anybody ever dug anything below my land. And even those that do allow it have the right to demand a proton of the profit from it. And even those who are stupid enough not to ask for profit can then sue if anything goes wrong on their property ("hey my foundation is cracked and it wasnt cracked before you dug underneath you mist have caused the damage I demand $$$ to fix it").
It just isnt nor will it ever be possible to dig anything worthwhile underground.

Couldn’t Australia just create clouds that rain down?

Attached: 20E42F06-0BAD-443D-B01D-35A6C89271B7.jpg (1528x1252, 414K)

oh vey! don't you read the memo of the elevated levels of minerals of thoose "waters"? your filters must be busted by now

the ayylmaos wont allow it

Lmao.

1. If it's in the city, Eminent domain. Get fucked.

2. If it's in the country, it's a non issue.

This is a stupid comment. And it is not the real issue. The real issue is nobody is going to pay for a bunch of stupid tunnels to connect cities when we've got roads, rails, and airways already. And once we get self driving cars the interstate system will be so efficient that it wouldn't matter if we doubled the population.

This tunnel bullshit is a meme.

Any train ride above 4hr is typically replaced by plain rides. So if you can go 250mph, you can replace all plane rides with train rides in a range of 1000 miles around any city/town.

Bratislava-Zurich or Bratislava-Frankfurt or Bratislava-Warsaw or Bratislava-Rome would all work easily by train... whilr Bratislava-London would remain a plane ride.

Attached: DF998391-7AF5-48A3-914B-AB019CC22F01.jpg (1317x900, 192K)

At 100 meters of depth, you can’t feel vibrations on the surface. Easements are required if your legal regime requires them. There is a reasonable assumption that if you are not impacted by the tunnel, you should not get compensation for an easement, but that there should be state mandated easements without compensation.

Look up the St. Petersburg subway, it is so deep down, you cannot notice it on the surface.

>Those are all being worked on and paid for by market activity.
Most of those project have been proven to be completely impractical. People might be working on them but at this point they're just massive money burning parties. Musk tunnel just looks embarrassing to be honest. Can't even make a smooth surface. The ride is bumpier than riding on a shitty dirt road for fucks sake.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3WR2VIUKqY
>What is your country innovating in? Accordion songs?
No we do pic related. Making pretty CGI presentations of shitty ideas is not innovating. Also for being #1 economy your innovation ranking is shit.
countryeconomy.com/government/global-innovation-index

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (788x441, 32K)

>No we do pic related
You suck and blow?

But then oil and automotive industries might suffer, you anti-semite bastard.

Unsure how effective that method would be for a place as large as Australia, considering how much desert we have. Plus a pipeline would be physical infrastructure which could be repurposed for any number of things

Attached: gas_australia.gif (706x552, 34K)

Most of Europe has this problem where they think we need or even want rail systems. We have so much space here that its actually more economical for us to use cars, and for us to drive on our own.

Attached: blue cat.jpg (1071x879, 573K)

>namefag
Europoor
Neither of your opinions matter.
Yes 99% of cucks will bend the knee. But I dont think either you understand how land works in the USA. There are people here that own more land than many COUNTRIES contain. Tunnels only work because they are 100% straight shot. Roads can turn and wind around problematic properties. Tunnels cannot. It only takes a SINGLE person to shut down the entire thing.
Air space is arguably worthless. The land under your feet can contain precious stones, natural oil and natural gas deposits. And so on. There are people who buy large pieces of land with the sole purpose of making profit off the contents blow ground. It is not possible.

>t. Henry Ford
And you have it backwards anyway.

>Capitalism should bring costs down
Capitalism is about maximising profit. Reduced costs aren't passed on unless it helps increase profit.

Thats not how any of that actually works though.

Attached: ice cream cats.jpg (1322x1010, 773K)

You don't even live here. How do you know what our wants and desires are? I'd rather drive than ride a train.

From having studied them, and from having lived there myself.
You personally might not want more efficient and economical mass transit, but you don't speak for everyone, except perhaps the CEO of Ford.

you would be suprised. He told real story

youtube.com/watch?v=BsqOLCXYznE

The world has become so stationary and stagnant, it needs chaos for the humans to push themselves and do things to place things in order or else die.
Only chaos can save us.

Attached: 561539015.gif (460x307, 170K)

Alright, let me put it to you this way. We used to have trains that carried passengers from one place to another. The company was called AmTrax. They went out of business decades ago because no one was buying tickets. There are entire rail yards of AmTrax cars rusting away and still sitting in giant empty warehouse districts, and no one is interested in in that property because zero people want to ride trains. No businesses will touch it. We HAD what you're talking about. The American public is not interested in trains. We'd rather drive ourselves. Thanks.

Attached: bird pets cat.gif (270x480, 2.86M)

If this were true, there would be zero mass transit systems in the US. But there are indeed plenty. Just because one shitty one went under doesn't mean we have to regress to the stone age.

The tunnel between calais and england is bumpy and going uphill downhill to the right and left all the time because it follows the hills of the bottom of the sea. Its literally impossible to make a straight tunnel on and in the bottom of the seas.

"Efficient"
Speed=/=efficiency
For example every year I drive back to visit my parents around the holidays. It's a 17 hour drive. 1000 miles. My car gets about 30 mpg and gas Is ~$2.50 per gallon. That puts the cost of gas round trip at around $150 for myself and my girlfriend.
The same cost of flying even if I book I'm advance and stay as far away from the actual holiday as possible, is around $300 per person rountrip. So now instead of $150 for the both of us, its $600. But okay! The flight takes a total of 3 hours. Saving 15 hours of our lives very well might be worth the extra $350. Since that's a whole day of work both of us dont have to take off and so on.
Except it isnt actual 3 hours, because there is no direct flight route. Its a 30 minute drive to the small local airport, a 45 miute flight, a 4 hour layover to a connecting flight which takes another hour, and then another 5 hour layover until the final 1 hour 15 minute flight to bring me, wait for it, to the closest airport to my parents house aka still 45 minutes away. Not accounting for having to arrive early to get through security and have baggage checked. Not accounting for delays due to weather or whatever.
Mass transit is absolutely dog shit unless you are right dead in a major city.

LET ME IN!!!!!
IM SICK OF BEING A FUCKING SURFACE DWELLER FUCK!!!!!!!

Attached: DFAB6C33-F38C-4C05-A625-D693E09EAF1C.jpg (946x687, 101K)

Thanks for proving my point. A greater density of rail systems would make such scenarios much more efficient than air travel.
But you're right. It's not just about speed. It's also about the various costs involved, namely energy.

Only poor ride mass transit here, everything is spread out, you need a car to be an adult here

There aren't. The only non-bus mass transit systems we have exist only in the coastal states (sub-way trains) and thats it. Every where else uses buses. Outside of the large cities, they don't even use buses. You're expected to drive yourself. Greyhound will drive you from one city to the next, but they do zero inter-city transportation. It is not considered a mass transportation system. Outside of that, everyone just takes a plane or drives. Again, we had a mass transit system involving trains. They went out of business because NO ONE was buying tickets. Clearly you don't understand the culture or how things work here. It is not economically feasible to do what you're suggesting.

Attached: police dog cat.png (839x960, 1007K)

A tunnel is just an underground road with few entrances, meaning worse congestion of traffic if you're going to place them everywhere. We do in fact have many tunnels where they make sense, and multi-layered roads above ground are a more optimal solution in urban engineering. Many major cities like Tokyo and Chicago have multi-layered traffic all over the place.

Attached: Circle_Interchange_Chicago.jpg (2848x2136, 1.76M)

We've been able to dig those fastbore musk tunnels for decades, we just gave him the technology for it because we have something better now.

Attached: 1500422186594.jpg (500x407, 35K)

Wait Trains? As in Niggers?

no, Ill wait for a highway to Russia instead

Attached: Trains.jpg (768x498, 101K)

Just like you need to buy a (((diamond ring))) to be married.
The point is that shit needs improvement, not shrugging.

>They went out of business because NO ONE was buying tickets.
Because it was a shit service. Airlines have gone out of business too, when offering poor service, but that didn't mean every aircraft had to be mothballed, or same for cars when automotive manufacturers went bust. Just that the others had to pick up their game.
>It is not economically feasible to do what you're suggesting.
It is, though. In fact, it's more practical than not, for the increased productivity and opportunity.
But bear in mind, I'm not suggesting that we spend billions connecting a hyperloop to every one horse town in a flyover state.

The only reason Musks tunnels were cheap is as they were much smaller and car sized not train.

Maybe thin long trains is the answer?

>UnderGround Railroad was full of Niggers

Im telling you guys. Trains are for Niggers. A superhighway would be way better.. exclude Europe entirely... just drive to our new friends in Asia

Attached: 1558569159331.jpg (600x616, 277K)

Americans will use highspeed rail and subways if they are practical.

no we wont, NIGGERS

You make exhausts for cars with shitty engine arrangements?

Where its economically feasible, yes. These tend to be very high population density areas, such as the coastal states and cities.

We had what you're talking about. Like I said, they went out of business because, frankly, our highway system is better as pointed out. You won't fix the air travel lay over problem he explained. Planes are just way to expensive and its easier and cheaper to just buy gas and drive yourself.

Attached: cat rat dog society.jpg (560x572, 56K)

Actually not like that at all. Are you suffering from spider venom neurosis?

How do you expect to get any better without pushing boundaries? Employees at Tesla and SpaceX frequently say they feel like they're working in a company of the future that's held back by current technology. So they must develop their own. A decade ago scientists from Europe, Japan, Russia, China said reusable rockets would never be economically viable or technologically feasible. Look at them now, they all freely have plans to or already do copy SpaceX technology and have admitted that reusable rockets are the future. It just takes some people actually trying.

And don't forget, Nikola Tesla left your shithole to come here since the best thing he could aspire to be in Eastern Europe was a fucking telegraph operator. America is the land of hard work and dreams.

Yeah. Humans have a short memory as as species.

Maybe we do need amother war to remind people how intolerable corruption is.

Nice try automotive Jew. No nigger countries have trains but they all have cars. What do nigger countries have but in white countries Jews force you to pay for? (((car insurance))). Add in cross-country highways and you have (((toll roads))). cars are a niggerdization for goyim cattle when all of the elites use transit and self-driving cars to avoid paying taxes. Watch, in the next decade we will get the technology to take public transit and self driving cars everywhere, but (((they))) will shill for you to keep buying gas and car insurance and make non-smart cars out to be an American symbol of freedom when they are an obvious Jewish trick.

>our highway system is better
*at the moment, compared to one shitty company
> You won't fix the air travel lay over problem he explained.
Except by an expanded rail network.

Not at the moment. Maybe for dessert. But the point is that both are industrially created rites of passage which people have been tricked into wanting.

>Be Aussie visiting cousin in London
>Arrive at airport, Signs are in Arabic
>my Cousin isnt there to pick me up as he is still on his 3rd train to get there.
>Decide to ask where the bar is so I ask a friendly police...mailbox?
>Deep Voice replies "WOT U GOT UR DRINKIN LOICENSE, ALCOHOL IS HARAM!
>Oh, sorry m8
>Cousin finally arrives around sundown
>We get on a train
>Packed to the gills with every kind of person, mostly brown
>Suddenly a man in a diaper with a towel on his head storms on the train, carrying a sword!
>TAKBIR!!!
>wot m8?
>Cousin says he is just damanding Jizya
>oh alright m8!
>Cum on the dark stranger
>Get Stabbed
>Die

Attached: hb05xz97plhy.jpg (653x477, 191K)

>A fucking leaf
Who asked you Ahmed?

Attached: b9c.jpg (690x769, 166K)

Musk is an idiot with no fucking clue regarding the matter pretending to be some new Tesla. Tunneling is expensive because we're talking about moving millions of tons of rock with massive machines expensive to build at a place were energy supply is hard to achieve. Without some revolutionary new technology (which Musk hasn't invented), you can't make this any cheaper.

SpaceX pushing boundaries is the equivalent of an elementary schooler who is ready to try his hand at surgery. Even reusable rockets are only feasible due to massive government subsidies. The technology only saves money for large payload missions. You can see countries like China and Russia that are capable of using the technology choose not to because the alternatives are still cheaper.

>If he says it enough it becomes true

Attached: 1558746154761.gif (371x365, 1.85M)

There's a lot of complexities with tunnels, like drainage and shit like that.

Tunneling is not all that expensive or difficult, it's just that the infrastructure to support it and any urban development planning that goes into it is expensive. That's why Musk showing that he can dig a hole and then say he can do it better and that it's revolutionary is the dumbest shit of all time.

We had one. It failed. No one wants city to city rail in this country. Its far, far to big for that.

Attached: Grineer Nox ancestor.png (785x544, 304K)

>one failure
>better get rid of the rest which are making money
And rail works better in big areas, kike.

Brunel had vacuum tube trains, abandoned due to cost of maintenance
If you wanna see a disturbing movie with interesting dynamics watch
>cutterface
cool movie

Europe and the Prison Colony are extremely small in comparison to the landmass we use in the US. Every European country individually is smaller than fucking Texas and 98% of the Prison Colony's population resides on their east coast. It is economically feasible in these conditions to do what you're talking about. It is NOT in the US because of how fucking massive the US is and how spread out our populations are. The maintenance on stretching rail out like you suggest would be astronomical. Rail is more expensive to maintain than highway roads in case you didn't know.

Attached: panty cat.png (617x603, 604K)

> It is economically feasible in these conditions to do what you're talking about.
It actually isn't. The hubs are too close, and the population is too spread out. Compared to America, where you have large gaps between centralised points. You might as well be arguing against the Interstate Highway system.
>Rail is more expensive to maintain than highway roads in case you didn't know.
Really? What are the numbers there, then. Bonus points if you can break it down per usage as well.

>hundreds of million per mile

does it hurt to be this fucking retarded?

What are tectonic plates for $300

No German guy, trees can't do that without water to turn into clouds, so () is right in suggesting in piping water inland.

Step 1: Inland Water
a] Construct (using global climate change combat funding, for all three pieces) a large octagon shaped dam in the center of the country, say with a diameter of 100km and a height of 25 meters. Under the dam hydroelectric turbine (yes I know this won't remake the energy spent to fill it, but it's still live to recuperate some of the energy) outlets from top level spillways build a bunch of irrigation ditches radiating away from the dam in all directions, use natural river depressions if available.
b] Construct multi-GW nuclear reactors around the country along the coasts.
c] Construct beside these nuclear plants large capacity desalination plants with underground pipelines heading to the dam.

Step 2: Fill
Power that mega project up and let the dam fill up with all that fresh water.

Step 3: Irrigation
a] Once the dam has filled to the point where it starts spilling out constantly, start using those irrigation ditches to water huge planted forests of various variety. Make them in groves in the same shape as those french farm plots off of rivers, narrow and long (say 2km wide, 8km long, with access road on three sides and one side touching the irrigation ditch). Some plots will be fruit trees, others grape vines, and others lumber (which can be expertly managed plot by plot, allowing animals to migrate to neighboring plots as one is harvested so as to not disrupt their life cycles compared to clear cutting huge swaths of natural forest).
Australia could be so much more than habitable coast and a desolate outback.

Attached: 3-player-chess.jpg (768x545, 118K)

>You can see countries like China and Russia that are capable of using the technology choose not to because the alternatives are still cheaper.
Good god above you are retarded. Please, shut up and never speak again.
China, EU, and Russia are all starting reusable rocket programs (China being in the lead with a LongMarch2 being equipped with Falcon9 style grid fins in its last launch for testing).
Why would they do that? OH right, it's because SpaceX is eating their breakfast lunch and supper when it comes to new launch contracts.

>someone else does something you do, but does it cheaper
>suddenly everyone goes to your competitor
>you get 0 profits now unless you match the price

Of course it gets passed on you nigger

All this fantasy of Musk about going to mars, super fast rail network and even this tunneling method are unrealistic. Nothing of this gonna happen when only small fraction of world is capable of developing something like that and 90% of other shitskins are trying to flood them. For things like these to develop you would need to take care of internal problems first also taking in mind countries like Russia and China also want a piece of cake. Personally i think full out space exploration wont happen until whole Earth unites under one government like in that game SPORE. Until that space travel is gonna be used only as propaganda to show "hey we can do that"