Buddhism

Why aren't you a buddhist Jow Forums? At it's core, it's recognition of types of suffering, and becoming aware to detach from it.

Attached: Buddhism.jpg (1900x1267, 253K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashin_Wirathu
youtube.com/watch?v=F3Pb3Kv-7XI
youtube.com/watch?v=QZJt0XlhEoQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shit is boring and uninspiring

Attached: 9524cfb99c5d47954e6e216227a32c8c.png (840x1034, 588K)

I listened to a lot of Alan Watts, he was a big fan of buddhism.
It definitely helped me out of my deep depression. It's really just a way of perceiving the world and once you master it you have complete peace.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashin_Wirathu

Attached: Wirathu.jpg (600x797, 93K)

I was into Theravada Buddhism years back, after being a curious atheist, but the emptiness I discovered made me understand the "invisible" Father in heaven, and in turn, the light, the word, Christ.
I read the Bible and now it makes perfect sense, so Buddhism led to me becoming Christian

Kind of like the Maitreya (Messiah) in Buddhism who was said would come some time after the Buddha and spread the dharma to the whole world, even more so then Buddha would...

Attached: jesus-drugs-1024x1024[1].jpg (1024x1024, 266K)

I pretty much am a Buddhist, I read a lot of Buddhist scripture and agree with the Buddha's teachings

Why not just be a stoic? Then you don't have to worry about karma from your past life affecting the life your living now.

This brings me joy (that I will not attach to because it is fleeting, naturally.)

Attached: LaughingBuddha.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

Are Buddhism and Stoicism mutually exclusive?

Its fake and gay

Everyone's fake. Be aware of one's own fakeness to find your true self (that might also be fake too.)

Depends. Can you be a Buddhist and reject karma? A stoic lives with the idea that at any time something terrible could happen, regardless of who you are or what you've done. This is in direct opposition with Karma.

Meh.
Buddha seemed pretty based tho.

Attached: 0e30791e33390f519542ad457191fe272621c84ae6e61335e9b9b7ee2cd2666a.jpg (785x1200, 569K)

Karma is often misinterpreted as the fruits of action, but the definition is action itself. Are there actions with a higher or lower probability of good and bad outcomes? Sure. They're explaining it in this way: awareness of consequence and the cumulative outcomes of actions. Could terrible events happen to us regardless? Sure. Every religion has a view on giving meaning to the Just World Fallacy.

Also Buddhism and Hinduism have different definitions of karma, and schools within each have their own definitions.

In buddhism there is karma and random things can still happen.

Because it's not from white culture OP. They don't care about what make sense, they only care about if it is white or not.

Many religions have the concept of one's faith being tested, presumably to optimize the gleaning of value of unfortunate happenstance.

I think Buddhists and Stoics would've co-existed on good terms. They were worlds away, but their founding dates were only a couple hundred years apart.

Another thing to add is I'm starting college this week and I'm bringing 5 books about buddhism, including the one with all the traditional koans. Very thought provoking and simultaneously relaxing material.

There are no gods but KEK.... unless their memes are fresh and spicy. We are a religion of peace. You will never see the clown car of peace mowing people down. We aren't racist at all. In fact, I let a bunch of Jews use my shower and black people get trendy hemp neckties for free. Praise KEK!!!

Buddhism is denial of the will to live. It’s a recognition of the meaninglessness of existence, and a codified way to work on escaping the earth permanently. Personally I don’t get why they don’t just
suicide themselves.

In Buddhism, the meaning of life is suffering exists (Dukkha, Four Noble Truths on Wikipedia for more on this) and the goal is becoming aware of suffering to transcend it.

Reaching a point of seeing the world for what it is doesn't seem meaningless to me, nor does the idea of "I'll get dirty again so taking showers is a waste of time" seem valid.

Because they would reincarnate if they killed themselves. The goal in buddhism is nirvana which is the total end of suffering and the highest happiness. To end suffering you have to abandon craving. That includes the desire for existence as well as nonexistence.

Buddhism rules, it's like being MGTOW but whithout the unhealthy obsession about "roasties".

From the Wiki: "One of the specific meanings (of Dukkha) refers to the empty axle hole of a wheel. If the axle fits badly into the center hole, we get a very bumpy ride. This is a good analogy for our ride through saṃsāra."

Personally, I'm agnostic to the validity of samsara outside of a metaphor, as deep meditation and accumulating wisdom doesn't grant objective certainty.

The suffering of this world is unavoidable, all beings get sick grow old and die. Nirvana is said to be the complete and final end to suffering. Eventually we will become exhausted with existence. To live forever would be tormenting.

>If you don't want anything you won't be upset when you don't get it

Alan Watts is fake.

I saw that on a trip once. Immortality and eternal nothingness have their pros and cons. To live forever is to experience everything, and the only experience one wouldn't and couldn't have is the experience of death.

Can anyone give me 5 recommended Buddhist texts?
Already read the Dhammapada.

Or less if you want.
I already have my foot in the door with Hindu books from some former ISKCON friends and don't really know enough Buddhists who aren't cherrypickers or miserable.

Slant-eyes, I recognise those. But what about the curly hair? Never seen a gook with that.

>Alan Watts is fake.
What did user mean by this?

>Why aren't you a buddhist Jow Forums?
I like Shankara more.

>Buddhism is denial of the will to live. It’s a recognition of the meaninglessness of existence, and a codified way to work on escaping the earth permanently. Personally I don’t get why they don’t just
>suicide themselves.
Well, they try to reframe our existence, so you don't take stuff too seriously and can enjoy more.

Imagine if you played an online MMO and someone told you "Once you die, you'll be permabanned from the server". Could you enjoy the game?

Kind of a phony but it helps people and gets them into better stuff
I don't remember everything but the gist is he was more of a poet than a buddhist teacher. Did pills and booze, didn't have formal training, didn't meditate. He expresses good ideas artfully but I don't think he had his own realizations.

If it helps you that's that matters

Daoism is better than buddhism

Attached: basedlaozi.jpg (1600x1154, 223K)

A lot of people think this of Buddhism, but it's a western misunderstanding. Buddhism is about living life more deeply. And suicide isn't an escape, you just respawn most likely in a worse state

i am buddha, you dumbfuck

>I don't think he had his own realizations.
What are realisations? He certainly was able to articulate those ideas better than any guru there is.

And if you are able to reproduce ideas perfectly, doesn't that mean you internalised it?

Or do you belief there is some sort of "mystical realisation" that cannot be expressed in words?

Way of the Bodhisattva

It's a good philosophy pre-tragedy. Post tragedy, Christianity is a better medicine I've found.

>read picture
>see flag
Yep, sounds like a cuc.k religion. Perfect for you britfag.

>The immigrants are coming into UK. This is the way nature intends to populate our country.

>Bhuddism
lol no

Attached: bernie has a point.png (391x165, 78K)

Yeah I think Alan Watts was a
>do as I say, not as I do

Realization means you have a direct experience of something, not just an intellectual conceptualization. Example: nirvana is a state that is not experienced through the 5 senses or any mental activity (perceptions, thoughts). I can explain this to you, I have some idea of it. But that doesn't mean I've experienced it. This matters the more seriously you get into practice. The blind can't lead the blind, an alcoholic poet probably won't lead you to enlightenment either

welp wrong pic

Attached: Annotation 2019-08-20 173939.png (236x272, 94K)

>I have some idea of it. But that doesn't mean I've experienced it.
I have my doubts that anybody experienced it. The most legit "gurus" in modern age for me are "Ramana Maharshi" and "Nisagadatta Maharaj".

And Nissagadatta clearly says, whatever you "experience" is not it.

So, what now? Are all the drugies who took LSD/DMT and experienced weird imagery and sensations buddhas?

If not, who is?

Attached: 24ee511f532fdb424bc2c7a7d38e705c.jpg (271x411, 28K)

joshu is in the front running

>joshu is in the front running
Aussie koan? I don't see him..

That wasnt the point of it
You dont understand the dao

Attached: zhuangzizh.png (640x341, 131K)

>So, what now? Are all the drugies who took LSD/DMT and experienced weird imagery and sensations buddhas?
This is a stupid question, why would you ask this?

From what I can tell, there are realized masters. Alan Watts does not seem like one to me however much I may have enjoyed his material in the past. I don't care to get into discussions on semantics like can you really call it experience. To suggest there is nothing such as realization is to suggest everyone is just wasting their time. You seem like someone with a good intellect but hasn't developed their more intuitive, instinctual mind that is capable of expediently cutting through nonsense. I suggest you work on developing more common sense

Suffering is part of life and makes us stronger.

Attached: 755634122.jpg (500x333, 53K)

touche. the iterations of bhuddism that followed the bhodhisatva to china (living in a cave/barrel? sounds familiar)and the eventual transformation of cha'an sect to zen tickles me the most. the concept of 'mu' is appealing. the rest of the frippery and moral attachments you jam right up your jatsy. i dont care about that shit

If you like suffering, do Burmese Vippassana. You'll become well acquainted with your suffering. My guess is you don't like it as much as you think. Suffering runs very deep and can be extremely strong at times.

>To suggest there is nothing such as realization is to suggest everyone is just wasting their time.
Now you are getting closer. If this universe is "maya", a dreamlike state created by you. What would be the end of realisation? You'd stop creating it. What would be the experience? Nothing. Do you want that? Certainly not.

Wtf is mu? Also, do dogs have Buddha nature?

youtube.com/watch?v=F3Pb3Kv-7XI

ask a dog. i couldnt give a shit

>ask a dog. i couldnt give a shit
I should ask my dog who got euthanised. He'd probably know... Too bad he doesn't speak.

>Now you are getting closer. If this universe is "maya", a dreamlike state created by you. What would be the end of realisation? You'd stop creating it. What would be the experience? Nothing. Do you want that? Certainly not.
That's called solipsism and Buddhism isn't solipsistic. If you don't take rebirth the world continues on. People are not wasting their time either. Spiritual pursuits are worthwhile.

>Why aren't you a buddhist Jow Forums?
Why are you a follower? Make up your own damned mind, reach your own fucking conclusions, and never submit to an -ism.

>If you don't take rebirth the world continues on.
How would you know, if you are not there?

And what is nothing like anyways? Apparently it's pretty damned amazing despite what you would think or fear

You don't even realize the games you are playing with yourself. We aren't talking about me or my perceptions. We're talking about the nature of reality as explained by Buddhism.

Buddha and Christ never tried to make an organized religion named after themselves. That was done long after

>And what is nothing like anyways?
I always forget what it's like, because there is nobody to remember it. I actually experienced it 8 h ago, and then I woke up and can't recall shit...

>We're talking about the nature of reality as explained by Buddhism.
You and I only care because it affects us.

Imagine this...
>God appears
>tells you he'll reshape reality the way you want (hitler, aryan waifus etc)
>then he tells you, he'll remove you forever from that reality as soon as your wishes are fulfilled.

Would you take that deal?

suffering is not real. pain is, enduring pain could teach you something. and knowledge is power.

Suffering is an opinion

sometimes in our lives we all have pain we all have sorrow, but, if we are wise, we'll know that there's always tomorrow

stop being coy you faggot. you know exactly what mu is. anyone who has made the rght (correct, not morally right) decision PRECISELY when it should have been made, or it that sweet cover drive, that perfect golf swing, that perfect punch, that perfect tennis serve or whatever it is the fuck youve done that feels fuckming spot on, perfect and complete knows the feels. the trick is to replicate it. the japs bang on about some floating bridge shit that i cant quite dig, but its nothing mystical.

there is individual karma but also natural karma beyond ones sphere of influence like natural disasters and shit. but you could argue there was karmic resonance to be born amidst such a situation. it’s supposed to be all intertwined irregardless

>You and I only care because it affects us.
What I care is irrelevant to how the natural world works. The world doesn't change based on how I feel. You're still playing games, it's like talking to a woman.
>>God appears
>tells you he'll reshape reality the way you want (hitler, aryan waifus etc)
>then he tells you, he'll remove you forever from that reality as soon as your wishes are fulfilled
Would you stay fulfilled in the world of your dreams? Or perhaps would you eventually want more anyways? What's the secret to being contented? Is it getting everything you've ever wanted, or is it something else? Anyways, I've got other things to do

a stoic would not argue the concept of kinetics beyond their direct, but available to their ambient perception.

theres no moral compass. im sorry. well,not really. theres simply getting it right (correct with no moral weighting)
trick is making shit work well on average.

>mu
Yeah that's good shit. Feels good when you're in it, awkward and mundane when not. Such is life

It's the perfect shitpost with numerous (You)'s... Only Aussie can pull that off, you must be close.

Good job missing my point.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-08-19 at 10.19.35.png (1198x492, 130K)

cheeky thred theme
youtube.com/watch?v=QZJt0XlhEoQ

I got a hearty laugh from this and i'm Buddhist

That's wrong. The Buddha was from a clan of Scythians who invaded Nepal only a hundred or so years before his birth... He had golden tan skin, but blue eyes. He was white, but probably more like a blue eyed person from Kazakhstan today.
Also, there was a huge Bactrian and Greek Buddhist community before things went to shit.

Dao is based. I am very amused that the religious literature manages to be funny.

What the fuck are you even saying dumbass

hes advocating defacating in aho;le in the gorund, or some close approximation. failing that, have you considered sky decking?

>hes advocating defacating in aho;le in the gorund
Please be nice to the Indian, this is a thread of peace

>dude none of this is real
>sit around waiting to die

I became a buddhist and realized that everyone in the west who practiced buddhism has absolutely no idea what its purpose is or was or the history of it,or why certain things arw taught and revered, like yin and yang, orthe tri and hexagrams of the iching. Their conceptualization of buddhism is this superficial consumer attitude which is fucking typical, so it all goes right over their heads and they end up having the same problems but now they go through these extra hollow motions that they call "buddhism" and "meditation".

skydecking is next level shit user. literally

And in oriental countries, they somehow understand buddhism better? Can you give an example that illustrates your point?

I dont know about oriental countries, only the west, where i observe people. Buddhism has a rich history and a very deep set of understandings that formed it, about dualities and the nature of the universe, things about the inescapable nature of mankind, all sorts of interesting things.

Alot of westerners (fully naturalized and/or citizens of the US, ones of the immediate culture here, regardless of race) miss all of these points, or worse, purposefully ignore them for the sake of some new and growing SJW bandwagon. (I specifically say that because yin and yang as observed entities are tied immediately to the supreme diachotomy of gender)

These westerners use the methodology of buddhism for an immediate shallow "cleanse" if you will, a bit of yoga here and meditation there, some rose smelling etc so on and so forth. What they miss though, which is what truly leads to contentment and peace of mind, is these deeper truths which buddhism is truly built off of.

The heros journey, the cyclical universal model, the human hive mind, these all were well understood by buddhists i think. The 64 ways of taoism/daoism are nothing more than a hybrid of two specific concepts, that of all of the scripts being writeable (shakespear) and that of the process of learning for a human (the heros journey).

Well, one could say they stepped with one foot into the water. A tragedy will make them dive in. Nobody can escape tragedies.

An interesting take, for sure. Its annoying at this point, how far the complacent specifically will go to ignore the unpleasant truths of life. This is why i tout a pseudo accellerationist attitude, is because nothing except an absolute apocalypse will get them to galvanize and take action. They have been numbed by MSM and substances.

We live in pan'nam here in America, have you read the hunger games? I dont often compare reality to fiction but i feel that the plebians are being run in circles by the elitists in order to string this circus along a few more decades.

>Buddhism is denial of the will to live. It’s a recognition of the meaninglessness of existence, and a codified way to work on escaping the earth permanently. Personally I don’t get why they don’t just
suicide themselves.

The Buddhist worldview is that there isn't just this earth, but rather 31 realms of existence (ranging from visceral hell, through ghost, animal and deva realms, up to almost imperceptible realms of bliss). Under a western atheist materialist worldview, the cure, or path leading to the cessation of dukkha ("dissatisfaction/impermanence/conditioned nature of the world/suffering/pain/'things are never permanently what I want them to be") would simply be corporeal bodily death. However, this is not the world system of buddhism, where bodily death is not the cessation of consciousness but rather the continuance of the skhandas (which could be summarized as "body and mind"), a 'wandering on' into a new birth, where the kammic fruit of ones past live(s) are reaped. Essentially, one does not suicide to cease dukkha, because suicide is based in craving (an aversive craving), which is the very thing (tanha - thirst) that binds one to repeated birth within samsara. The idea with buddhism is that you practice (meditative) in such a way to reduce craving, eventually culminating in becoming an arahant ("awakened one", essentially) that is freed from greed hatred and delusion - and becomes unbound at death (essentially just dies in the way an atheist materialist dies - no substanstial ever existed in the first place, the causes/process keeping one in existence cease to sustain itself).

>tl:dr suicide is based in craving, which just respawns you as a hungry ghost. gotta work on dissolving that very craving and commit cosmic suicide instead

Attached: burning_with_desire.jpg (900x477, 74K)

Good read, helped me understand even more now.

question everything then think with your own head.
avoid piling up bad karma and tries to help people around you if possible.
and trying not to be too attached with anything especially emotional matter.
pretty much what buddhist is about at least the theravada one.
the nirvana is on another level even for a real monk(not a sinner monk) it's not meant for a regular folks either.
btw buddhism is not reject the idea of deities, they just not focus their life around them.
this is a message from a sinner kind of buddhist.

just note: this is theravada buddhism, seen through a western lens

mahayana and zen are fairly different to this, along with tibetan

I would say Jow Forums and Trump are a manifestation of the unrest of society. It just takes some time to get more people onboard.

Virtue singling and pretending to be above simple human desires can only go so far. One day they'll say "I gave my life for others, who were less worthy of it than me".

>essentially just dies in the way an atheist materialist dies - no substanstial ever existed in the first place, the causes/process keeping one in existence cease to sustain itself

Would this be possible? Permanent death? Who would be there to experience the non-existent state? (nobody)
Would you gain consciousness again? (yes, everything is cyclical)
How much time would have passed in your experience between "you gaining nirvana" and another rebirth? (none, from your own perspective)

It all sounds like a big scam to me. The truth is, like Krishna said in Bhagavad Gita "There is no time when I was not".

Be not afeard. This isle is full of noises,
Sounds and sweet airs that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices
That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again; and then, in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open and show riches
Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked
I cried to dream again.

I'm a catholic, but I love buddhist teachings from a philosophical level

Attached: dont-use-buddhism-quote.jpg (773x766, 170K)

"Each night you fall asleep, I destroy your whole universe."

(fake quote by Charles Manson plagiarised by me from Mindhunter season 2)

"who moved my cheese" is my recommended book for anyone whom interesting in buddhism it's a good read.
and please restrain yourself from mythical and occultism which sadly also present in buddhism.

>who moved my cheese
>brie larceny
xd