THE FUTURE OF ELECTRIC VEHICLES

It's a total fucking meme, right? There's no way we can replace the current fleet of internal combustion engines with lithium ion batteries, right?

Attached: Electric Vehicle.jpg (4584x3928, 2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ABptANtPyB4
bumblebeebikes.co.uk/bike-range/sting-electric-chopper/
youtube.com/watch?v=ywR4AYqPXz4
youtube.com/watch?v=VNxeXpE-hzY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not yet user no

Also they are kinda gay

Batteries need a 500 mile charge at least

We have hit the peak lithium performance a decade+ ago and are now only sliding on the curve of tradeoffs
21st century is an age we have mastered all the tech we currently know, without major breakthroughs we will stagnate like right now

No they won't. Most electric cars require daily charging, most often done at a person's home. To get a decent daily charge that will actually be of use, a new high power circuit must be installed, which has an average constant draw of 50a.

Most power companies incentivise charging at night to save money. No renewable sources of energy are running at night, so most of the power generated to charge these vehicles is generated via dirty sources. Not only this, but if everyone on a city block got an electric car and charged it at home over night, think about the huge draw on the electric grid that wasn't there previously. Most electric grids are barely adequate to supply what they do now, if 400 people each draw 50a for 6 hours each night, it will soon result in widespread brown outs as the grid is overtaxed, and the coal plants can't keep up with the required energy since wind and solar are idle.

t. Electrician who installs tesla home chargers for a living.

Attached: 1550529286836.jpg (750x738, 52K)

>Everyone upgrades to electric
>Power shortages
>Lefties banned Nuclear

Attached: 1523803620570.jpg (599x600, 44K)

The (((media))) is pushing it so it's just a scam.

I think there's a huge problem in society right now where people put their blind faith into the vague concept of "technological progress." They think science is this benevolent entity that will somehow save us from ourselves and guide us towards utopia, and they never even consider the possibility that technology can be used against us and have a generally negative influence on society.

Attached: 800px-Energy_density.svg.png (800x500, 42K)

MUST SEE !!! Clean Energy Technology - The Searl Effect Zero Point Generator
youtube.com/watch?v=ABptANtPyB4

Thanks for the insight. It seems absurd to me when the "I fucking love science" Jow Forumsfuturology crowd starts to talk about developments in Li-ion batteries when the relative energy density compared to gas is abysmal. See

>It's a total fucking meme, right?

No and the EU among other countries are pushing for it hard.

The number of battery vehicles are increasing all the time.

>There's no way we can replace the current fleet of internal combustion engines with lithium ion batteries, right?

Yes. Diesel and Petrol will be needed for long travel or diesel only for areas with extreme weather (where only diesel will work, no exceptions otherwise petrol will freeze entirely and cold weather will drain battery or cause battery failure instead, and only diesel can be warmed up if it does freeze, etc).

All questions aside I suspect this will be for me as I will only make short 5-6 mile city journeys:

bumblebeebikes.co.uk/bike-range/sting-electric-chopper/

the only thing cool about electric cars is like instant acceleration like you get in the faster tesla models, everything else about them is fucking gay

It can be done, you boomer luddites are shameful

Electric cars are fake.
Check out the Mornell Incident!

>Lefties banned Nuclear

This will be undone quickly and knowing your current energy supplier you will end up having Russia building you a nuclear plant.

This would actually be of a greater benefit (to generally any country) despite the Chernobyl scare mongering done as per the UK's project fear dramas and would be better than shoal gas extractions (which can cause earthquakes and sudden sinkholes to appear).

The power grid cannot handle it..
Imagine every morning when they all get unplugged and that massive load drops, then at 6pm when they all get plugged in.

Sorry to say same thing you did. This was what turned me off electric. Hybrid LP or syngas cars are the answer without a doubt

t. fake electrician

A car charger pulls the same amount of power as an electric dryer. The grid can handle people doing their laundry.

Can the grid handle people doing laundry AND charging cars? Serious question.

probably no

>No renewable sources of energy are running at night
What is hydro, thermal and wind
>Charge every night
Bullshit. What percentage of people travel 300+ km per day? Your everyone on the block argument is a hypothetical that will never ever happen
>50A installation
That's the highest powered 3-phase option that I'm sure you enjoy charging your customers for. An extra single phase circuit (ie. already existing in all homes) is sufficient for most drivers requirements
t. Electrical engineer who suggests you should get back to night school for for catch-up classes

>Your everyone on the block argument is a hypothetical that will never ever happen
So you just expect people to let their cars sit out overnight without charging? Also, how is charging going to work in densely populated cities? Not everyone has the luxury of a dedicated parking spot.

50amp service does not mean it draws 50 amps constantly. Learn to electricity

Just build a bigger battery pack.

The average american driver drives 30 miles a day, at 50 amps, those cars will only be pulling power for one or two hours

This is the problem when it comes to moving freight

If the electric car manufacturers standardized the battery, and you could pull up to a “gas station” in any electric car, swap batteries with a charged one, and be on your way then electric cars could theoretically work. Until that happens electric cars will be a pipedream. I don’t even see why this is a problem either.

>Mass amounts of battery grade nickel is running short, prices will increase
>car accidents will burst passengers into flames that require special methods to put out. Insurance companies are going to charge high amounts with insane premiums
>try flying a plane on a battery
Electric vehicles are a meme to sell to idiot millennials and zoomers.

>No renewable sources of energy are running at night

It's amazing the excuses people will come up with to make a new idea not work.

A common 110v outlet will give your car 4 miles per hour charged. So you come home at night, sleep for 8 hours, 2hrs for other stuff, and your car has 40 miles of charge. That is more than most people drive in a day, so soon you'd be coming home with a car battery half full. A custom socket is better, but hardly a requirement.

Attached: Baker Electric.jpg (867x1223, 210K)

>Mass amounts of battery grade nickel is running short
The same thing can be said for lithium

welp. this thread is over. this guy refuted every single claim accurately and concisely

If Chile wanted to they could effectively bring the lithium based battery industry to it's knees

actually a good point

Excuses excuses.

>>Mass amounts of battery grade nickel is running short, prices will increase
And gas is unlimited? Aluminum, Iron, or carbon batteries will replace lithium and nickel.

>>car accidents will burst passengers into flames that require special methods to put out.
Unlike tanks of gasoline?

>>Insurance companies are going to charge high amounts with insane premiums
Gee, I hope no one tells them that electric cars exist, because they don't seem to have noticed yet.

>>try flying a plane on a battery
Pictured. Electric planes are already the best choice for training new pilots, and exceed gas in other areas.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.jpg (1044x587, 68K)

maybe new battery technology will make it worthwhile eventually

>Electric planes are already the best choice for training new pilots
How about moving freight?

>A car charger pulls the same amount of power as an electric dryer.

It sure can, but teslas wall connector can draw up to 100a of current of the customer requests it and their panel can handle the load. Most upper class installs require only the best and fastest. Imagine if everyone in San Francisco wants the max power output.
>That's the highest powered 3-phase option
Show me 5 houses in America that have 3 phase power coming in. I'll wait.

Most houses have 240-208/120 single phase to them. See above, teslas wall connector can draw up to 100a if the power is there. Most common install we do is a 60a circuit with the wall connector set to 48a. It will charge about 20-25mph with that. If you drive 150 miles on average a day, which most do in California, you will be drawing the equivalent off an oven on full blast for 6hrs straight. Most new wall connectors come with a 14-50 plug if they're not hardwired.

Attached: 1548477694053.jpg (750x923, 62K)

See

it does if it's a fucking tesla charger you git
how the fuck do you think fast charging works if it's not pulling a shitload of current? go on, fucking tell us all.

>Lithium is not going away for rechargable batteries. The small size of the lithium ion makes it possible to work well in charge/discharge cycles, it has the smallest ionic radius of any ion other than a proton or helium ions.
>I suppose you're not familiar with what happens when you puncture a lithium ion battery. Take a knife and find out or jsut search online
>Those are for training, it's not viable to make an airplane large enough for passenger or cargo with a battery

>How about moving freight?

Electric trains have been around for decades. They do not carry large batteries, but instead are powered from an overhead cable.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo-1.jpg (1200x742, 795K)

youtube.com/watch?v=ywR4AYqPXz4

>Show me 5 houses in America that have 3 phase power coming in. I'll wait.

Sheesh, go to an appliance store and see how the clothes dryers plug in.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo-2.jpg (463x502, 30K)

>snip a cable
>bring an entire country to a grinding halt
Nothing personnel kid

Tesla started out with the roadster, one of the first electric cars that didn't look like a complete cuck mobile. I've never seen one in the wild. I see Teslas all the time, never a roadster.
EVs wont truly take off until someone build a true cuck wagon. Workhorse is the first to do a truck chassis, if they can put a cuck wagon on that wheelbase.
People are dumb and will only start buying the vehicles when they look like literally ever other basic bitch cuck wagon on the road. The people buying Porsche SUVs need to be beaten.

That's a 14-50p. It is single phase with separate neutral and ground.

Hook it up to the phase, and tell me how that works out for you.

I'm buying an electric motorcycle in the next couple months. 2019 Zero S 14.4v

>constant draw of 50a.
>t. Electrician
LARP ALERT

LARP ALERT

>snip a cable
>bring an entire country to a grinding halt

PLEASE TRY IT. Go up to your local L train and try to cut the cable. See what happens.

> Decades of use in every large city in America.
> Still can't convince conservatives it is possible.

> Gee, why do liberals think we are stupid?

And how many watts does it cary?

yeah, but the 501-219p is better cause of the two phases and the WDGAF Adapter

these terrific batteries that work so good are also pollution free to manufacture, non toxic, non-exploding, and easy to recycle right?
youtube.com/watch?v=VNxeXpE-hzY

said one horse to another

at least now you know what the "e" stand for in E scooter.

it is. the batteries are the problem. they are not easy on the environment to produce or dispose of.

I mean there's no way that the entire world would remain resentfully dependent on middle eastern oil despite all the market volatility and terrorism that comes with buying that oil if there was some easy, clean, efficient alternative.

man the whole world is dumb. Only like 1 guy in this thread has figured it out.

lmao so let's just power boats and planes with overhead cables too

So you are just retarded, I get it.

Which guy

>he thinks a city subway and a transcontinental train are interchangeable

Here's the skinny about electric vehicles:

>Not now
>Maybe in 10-15 years
>Definitely in 30-35 years
>Ubiquitous by the 70s

Lithium-ion technology can get us no further, realistically, and the experimental or non-commercialized energy storage technologies are not ready for mass deployment, primarily because scaling up production has been more difficult than expected. Once energy can be stored in carbon supercapacitors cheaply, game's on for EVs. Until then, it's a meme.

Check this guy out, he watched a CPG Grey video on reddit and likes to chime in with the same analogy in every thread

>501-219p

> My idea is stupid therefore yours must be stupid too.

I believe I mentioned

11520w while on.

No, electric vehicles will always be too expensive for the majority of people.

Which is exactly as planned. The elites want to force the poor into cities where they'll rely on public transportation, while the countryside is converted into luxurious estates for those that can afford that lifestyle.

Thinks it works in the city therefore CAN'T work transcontinental.

Pennsylvania Anthracite, now that's Fuel.

Attached: IMG_8327 8 cm anthracite.jpg (720x519, 130K)

>Once energy can be stored in carbon supercapacitors cheaply, game's on for EVs
I think it's foolish to assume technological innovation is inevitable. It's the same thing with nuclear fusion. People have been saying it's only a decade away for literal decades.

Yeah let's just build a bunch of overhead electrical cables across the Pacific Ocean, bro!

So we just have to wage wars to secure lithium sources etc?

There are two huge problems with electric cars. 1. They do not charge fast. 2. Batteries are still complete shit.

We've already made carbon supercapacitors, and we know of a half-dozen ways to make them right now. The 15 years I mentioned is purely for refinement and scaling production up. It's already locked in because these things hardcore revolutionize energy storage.

Many short range vehicles can actually do with more mundane materials like sodium instead of lithium. Not the same energy density but enough for work commute.

11520 / 1500 = 7.68 times as much power as a standard 110 volt outlet. So how long will it take to charge an electric car from empty?

>No, electric vehicles will always be too expensive for the majority of people.
Calculate TCO, electric cars are cheaper than gas even now. Repairs and fuel cost far less, and the price advantage will only grow over time.

>I think it's foolish to assume technological innovation is inevitable.

The numbers work with the tech we have now, and many improvements have more to do with mass production then new discoveries. Would you take a bet that CPUs won't get faster? The smart money is on advancement.

And how are you going to ship those materials?

Attached: 523689543.jpg (474x632, 35K)

Problem with charging speed is that they will NEVER be able to charge quickly enough, this is an intrinsic problem in the charging mechanism of lithium ion. Charging too quickly induces structural defects in the battery and these are not reversible changes

>Would you take a bet that CPUs won't get faster?
Diminishing returns. Moore's Law won't last forever.

>Would you take a bet that CPUs won't get faster?

Yes, like most computer tech CPU power has stagnated and will only increase slowly until there is some huge development, probably not for many years.

We already solved CPU scaling stalling out too, by developing extreme ultraviolet lithography production methods. Are you stuck in 2015 or some shit, retard?

>Australian

Never mind.

>11520 / 1500 = 7.68 times as much power as a standard 110 volt outlet. So how long will it take to charge an electric car from empty?

That will net a charge speed of 20-25mph. Figuring an average commute of 100- 150 miles a day best case 4-6hrs. And that's pulling that wattage constant. A standard 120 receptacle will net 3 mph of charging. It must also be dedicated, any other draw on the circuit will trip it

>>/o/

From empty about 12hrs.

It's pretty obviously going to be a massive thing most likely replacing most consumer cars.
Gas powered cars will still be a thing since they offer better range and for the case of trucks and lorries better cargo capacity. So basically city cars will be turning majorly electric in the future while country cars will probably stay mostly gasoline as well as "job" vehicles like say truck or a tractor

>Yeah let's just build a bunch of overhead electrical cables across the Pacific Ocean, bro!

> Thinks a boat on the pacific is "transcontinental".
We don't need to bring fossil fuel use to zero, but we can save both money and our homes by cutting down dramatically.

>So we just have to wage wars to secure lithium sources etc?
How many Americans died in Iraq and Afghanistan? You are trying to scare us with the status quo. Also, unlike oil, elements used in batteries are not consumed, and can be recycled endlessly.

>And how are you going to ship those materials?
See pic.

>Problem with charging speed is that they will NEVER be able to charge quickly enough

Quickly enough for what? How often do you drive 300 miles in a day without stopping? There are 3 million electric cars on the roads today and people are not stumped by these simple issues you keep dreaming up.

>A standard 120 receptacle will net 3 mph of charging. It must also be dedicated, any other draw on the circuit will trip it
That is the same power draw as a space heater. People know how to deal with them. It's no big deal.

>From empty about 12hrs.
This would be a 300 mile per charge Tesla?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.png (975x700, 1.14M)

They'd rather ban personal vehicles (except for themselves, of course)

Lithium will become prohibitivly expencive while destroying the environment due to it's toxicity... Check-mate; Hippy

Go back to Jow Forumsfuturology you absolute sperg

my fucking sides
that pic
top kek

Cars will be electric, but hydrogen fuel cell, or hybrids with fuel cell and li-ion. Maybe even tribrids, with hydrogen, li-ion, ice generator.

That's pretty accurate. We have pretty much technology stagnated this century. Whoever comes up with something that will replace the lithium ion will be a trillionare the problem is that it will be like over a decade before the closest thing will surpass lithium ion.

Isn’t anthracite used as metallurgical coal?

>They'd rather ban personal vehicles (except for themselves, of course)
>Lithium will become prohibitivly expencive while destroying the environment due to it's toxicity.
>Go back to Jow Forumsfuturology you absolute sperg

When logic fails, make up crap and hope some of it sticks. You've lost cons.

Attached: Titanic Climate change argument.jpg (1000x622, 149K)

Yea.

>It's a total fucking meme, right?
It's compact fluorescent bulbs all over again, user. When the battery technology gets good enough (sodium-silicon) they will pass legislation requiring all new cars sold to be electrash with a "government rebate" for the extreme expense and the rebate will, of course, come from whites' taxes.

>Y-you've lost, cons. Hillary will win.

It is possible... If and only if we scrap the idea of renewables on the power grid. Which we should do, and go generation 4 nuclear power.

There is literally not enough useable lithium on Earth to do all electric cars and renewable grid too. Even the renewable grid alone isn't very viable on a global scale.

There is a big difference between an election and buying a car. With a car, smart people don't get saddled with the choices that idiots make.

Attached: Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.png (977x693, 652K)

>Go to gas store
>300 more miles in 2 minutes
>Go to battery charging store
>300 miles in 12 hours

I don't think it's going to happen in our lifetime, outlawing gas cars would work as well as outlawing guns. people would push back, and any politician backing it would never get another vote again