Alright Jow Forums. I have a question for you, and please answer me honestly and not too harshly

Alright Jow Forums. I have a question for you, and please answer me honestly and not too harshly.

I do not vote. I mean I don't vote for anything at all political, and I wanted to ask if it is okay to not be part of the voting system?

To give insight into my life, I am 6'3, autistic and I'm very sociable., have a wielding job that pays well and live alone. I have a lot of great friends and good family, and would do anything for them. The problem I have with voting is that I have to choose a side, and being autistic I am not good at doing that with what I've seen from the previous presidential election. I've seen it split apart family and friends like it was butter, and they never talk to each other again, and people always want to know who you voted for in this day in age. I don't say anything bad about either side of the political spectrum and usually make jokes about both of them, but recently I was asked by a friend who I vote for and I said no one, I don't vote, and they seemed mad at me for some reason, telling me that it's important to vote or the person you don't want might go into office, and I told him I don't really care who is in office since it really doesn't effect my daily life with my friends and family. He got angry and stormed off and I was left confused and a bit sadden for not knowing what I did wrong.

Can someone tell me what I should do? I can't handle taking a side and potentially tearing apart my friends and family away from me.

Attached: sadguy.jpg (2000x1334, 524K)

Please Jow Forums, I really want to know if I'm doing bad or not.

being an autistic, of course you are right
there's no point voting if the negatives outweigh the positives
people who get mad when you don't vote are the same ones that get mad when you play the powerball

Autistic maybe = sometimes rationalizing that which should not be rationalized. Do you have a gut fren? Maybe follow it once and a while.

i wouldn't be too upset over yourself for not voting. what does it matter anyway?

Not everyone should vote. If you follow politics, then go ahead and vote. If you’re just voting because it’s the social norm, the don’t. Do what you care about, not what other people care about.

The consequences of not voting or being politically engaged are to be ruled over by evil people. Simple as that.

>autistic man gives more thought to not voting than "normal" people give to voting
have you ever imagined that maybe you are not in the wrong?

> it really doesn't effect my daily life with my friends and family

O rly?

This.

Shills detected.

Any family or friends that drop you over your political affiliations are not worth having. Occupationally speaking keep that shit to yourself. Always hide your power level. Over all if you like a candidate vote for them. But just tell others you couldn't or didnt for whatever reason. Stop living for others validation.

I did try to follow my gut once with politics but it ended poorly and it hurt me deeply. I don't want to experience that again.
Not really, I usually am in the wrong in a lot of stuff that include people outside my comfort zone.
I don't get your post. Who am I being ruled by? I'm very happy with my life and don't have any issues with the political climate right now, so who?
That's the only thing I have now is for others validation. It makes me happy by making others happy, but if I make someone mad or sad, I get extremely sad over it.

I just tell people I don't vote because it doesn't affect the outcome, which is the truth. I might vote in local stuff if I ever have a strong opinion on it, hasn't happened yet though. My family has similar divisions as others and I've been playing the same tightrope game as you. I'll just straight up tell people neither side is advocating for what I want, and that the divisions are manufactured.
As for "what you did wrong," that person was seeking confirmation that you were on "their side" in the coming conflict - you didn't express the same disgust they did toward the other side, meaning you don't view the other side as a threat, meaning you're a possible enemy.

Protip for getting along with people, mention policies, not politicians or parties e.g. People argue about global warming? I'll talk about how we need to fund geoengineering regardless. It's hard to thread that needle but it can be done. You might step on toes occasionally, but you can also earn respect from others.

If I made him a possible enemy, then how do I fix it without lying or anything deceiving?
I don't want my personal beliefs ruin our friendship.

>>the only thing I have now is for others validation. It makes me happy by making others happy, but if I make someone mad or sad, I get extremely sad over it.

I'm sorry, I literally don't even...

>without lying or anything deceiving
Well, do you really agree with him? To tell you "how to fix it," I'd need the details - what you believe (or pretend to believe around this person), what he appears to believe, and generally what was said when this happened. Just accept that there might be an element of deception in this. I can only really give general advice because you'll treat both sides differently.

Manically switch sides every few days. Talk about the stupid issues that made you change sides (Socks were wrong color, Nice hair style)...Appear to be a shallow idiot. When all the while they were slowly being red pilled... ahahahahahaahaha

Nah, in my opinion you're doing the right thing. I also have never voted and I don't care much about it. I too focus on the things that are important to me in my life, like my friends, family and interests. It doesn't matter much who you vote for anyways, so you just focus on the good things in your life, which seems to be many. If people pick on you for not voting, you can say that you cast a blank vote because you don't agree with any of the candidates. I don't know how it is in your country, but here it's considered impolite to ask people who they vote for anyways, your friend would be considered very rude, and if that's a thing in your country as well you can also say that you think the system of secret ballots is important and everyone should vote according to their own convictions and have a right to keep who they vote for to themselves.
t. fellow autist

I really don't know if I agree with him or not. He seems to believe in pro life, trying to fix global warming, people should have guns to defend, and seems to be very eager to vote for small and large elections. I usually like to talk to him about this stuff and I like to listen to his side of it because it is interesting, but I don't really give any insight into it or I try to change it to a different thing. He caught me on it and asked me why I don't voice my own opinion, and I told him that I can't really form my own because no matter how much I know, I can't pick a side to agree or disagree.

You sound very indecisive and perhaps this is what annoyed your friend, rather than the actual issue about political candidates. It's not easy to make choices on complex topics that have a large amount of unknown factors. But in the end it's important to be able to make decisions as well. How about you try to take an issue, get an overview of the differing opinions and arguments and then make a list of what you agree with or not. Then one of the sides will stand out as the one you agree with the most. It's not a perfect process and there still will be a lot of uncertain things you can't have any overview over, but then you've made as good an attempt as any. No one knows everything and decision making is pragmatic. Then you could tell your friend you have made a decision on a topic and explain to him your reasoning. If he's a real friend I'm sure he will respect that and perhaps he will feel content that the time he has spent with you talking about politics was worth it?

>pro-life
I never touch that one, it's either baby killer or "watch handmaid's tale," I'll talk about Theseus's ship for a bit then switch the subject.
>global warming
I bring up geoengineering as something worth investing in, say the media is blowing it way out of control, say it's a possible existential threat and then talk about feedback cycles for a bit, when the audience falls asleep, switch topics.
>guns
I lean pro gun based off the resistance to tyranny bit. Now if I could have my perfect totalitarian system, nobody but me would need guns. I usually just have a distrust of authority in general though, if it seemed like the govt fought for my ideals then maybe my stance on that would be different.
>eager to vote
If I saw candidates I strongly aligned with, I might enthusiastically support some too. Not sure what candidates are supporting all the positions your friend expressed though.

If this is a close friend, express your reasoning on the issues and where you might diverge. I always just try to understand the other perspectives, and your doubts and his can help you both understand this stuff more. I think norwanon is right that your friend was annoyed - express your reasoning, and if it comes from a place of good intentions, your friend will understand and you'll both gain insight.