Dying breed

I'm a man and I love to work in the garage on projects and get by hands dirty. Why is the united states producing more and more people that aren't interested in manly stuff?

Attached: bandyshop-1.jpg (1024x684, 132K)

young goyim can't afford to buy houses you boomer

25 year old tower dog here, you assume too much

i bought a toolbag (stonley?) for my significant other and he used it to fix our duplex up, so i don't see this spirit dying, just being different. he built a pot hanger above the kitchen island and it's a godsend because of my collection of brassware is too much to store in our italian cabinets.

Dont worry old timer, I didnt fall for that university scam I went to a trade school and I work on diesel engines all day.

Attached: IMG_20180607_171500_566.jpg (1843x1842, 1.28M)

The perception that everyone or at least a significant amount of men had to have garage workshops is something pushed by the media, the handyman archetype "go out and buy some craftsman tools at sears Tim the tool man Taylor!"
are these skills good to have and cultivate though? yes, certainly.
as to why there isn't a lot of interest... well there actually is but take into account that most millennials don't even own a home to begin with let alone a garage.

Yeah cus youre retarded for university

Tits or GTFO

Because tinkering and all that other hands on shit is peak boomer. Being interested in "things" is a univerally male trait, but it's computers rather than cars and tools that young men are into these days.

Planned obsolesence

If that's actually your garage, what's your quiver contain?

You’re retarded if you go to university

i'm a man

>t.trade faggot who got rejected from university

>I'm a man and I love to work in the garage on projects and get by hands dirty.
then why the fuck are you posting that pic of a shitty workshop? why does this retard have so many adjustable wrenches? why does he only have inch or metric combo wrenches? were the fuck are the sockets and drive tools? Why does have so few screw drivers? why are there no tool chests for heavy shit. its like this retard bought babys first tool kit at home depot and hung it up to try to show that they're a man. here is a protip kid, if you have so few tools you can hang them up on pegboard you have nothing. dont even get me started on all the specialty tools i have.

Journeyman rate where works a boomin isnt enough when your average 40 year old house is $750k in the burbs. But here's some RPs I fit under a sink.

Attached: 20190718_130319.jpg (3264x2448, 2.31M)

I wish my instrument making shop was that nicely organized. Fugg...

College is good if you go for something that's worthwhile. STEM is the obvious go to.

The other majors are also in demand, but the supply exceeds that. Thus only the top students get what they really want. Everyone else fills the "meh" jobs or unrelated jobs.

If you aren't in the top ~30% of your class, then you should immediately change majors or shift to trade school because it won't end well otherwise.

The bottom students are basically funding the education of the top ones.

>stonley

Attached: 1564759990135.png (700x823, 271K)

Stop complaining. If you're a boomer you'll be dead soon, so don't worry about it.

If you're not, just imagine, in 10 years, as boomers really hit the stride of dying off, people who have the skill to maintain older cars will drop off like flies. So will the owners of said items. Prices for antique cars and tools will plummet and wages for people who know how to keep them running will rise.

It will be a golden age for millennials who like tinkering. And it's already happening. I picked up a nash from a millenial for a couple grand in ok running shape because he could not afford to pay to have someone else to keep it running and he had no idea how to do it himself.

Attached: 1344107712.jpg (480x360, 35K)

Maximum tier happening Chimpouts to ensue

#

#

#

#

Gosh, could you be more of an autistic LARPer?

That doesn't stop men from doing manly shit, faggot. I love doing manly shit like carpentry, landscaping, and working with power tools. Anyone can pick up the trades.

millennials will be dying off faster than boomers in 10 years

Make yourself a wooden dildo

Working in the garage isn't inherently manly. Sorry to burst your bubble boomer.

No dads growing up.

DIY is hand down knowledge.

Families used to be mostly rural, farm dads teaching kids how to fix the tractor, weld, set up radio comms to talk to other farmers. That carried into suburbs post war.

Then around the 1970s along came the family wrecking feminists and dads were chased out of houses in late boomer era, and into gen z, now with millennials, they can't even check where the hole is in a flat tire or jump start a car.

The knowledge was lost when dads started being kicked out of homes.

It's already happening for Harleys. I can't wait to pick up a project car

based
that pic is like some basedboy shit for redditpoints. who just works in the garage? where's a tool box? does everything break right there? must be nice.

They tried to get me to quit for 4 years. The difference was in the fact that I actually liked what I was doing, and couldnt pass a test until I had fully internalized the material. I was in the bottom 30%.

I'm the only person I know who can apply calculus and statistics, along with material science and fluid dynamics still.

No Im not a boomer. Im a millenial. But I was born to do this. People who were born to do it know it and should not quit. And no, it wasn't easy right out of college with a shit GPA. But that passed after I proved myself.

Attached: download.jpg (300x168, 6K)

i don't own a house and i don't have a garage

> I live in a shitty apartment
> I can't afford to rent a house
> Let alone buy one
> I have no money to buy tools
> I have no place to put them even if I did
> All of my belongings are cheaply made Chinese shit that is practically disposable and impossible to repair
> I have nothing that I can fix and maintain and pass on to a son if I ever have one

What the fuck would I even do with a toolbox if I had one?

Attached: 1455097514577.gif (181x148, 1.11M)

>I love to get my hands dirty

Attached: 1552739632147.jpg (540x807, 108K)

There's less and less profit in it, and the expense can be quite high. Especially just getting started. I have been buying tools and getting lots of projects done now that I own my home, but I can't afford to spend much. Too many other costs. And forget buying an old car and fixing it up. That'd require a whole host of tools I can't ever afford.
I think the only way to get into it is to be taught by dad and then inherit his old tools as he replaces them. I didn't have that luxury, and there's no starting point for me.

no used shop is that organized

der boomer...

Attached: 1530497450454.jpg (639x900, 473K)

Cool job but around here they’re underpaid and overworked. I do repairs as a hobby.

True. You can tell the kids who have trade school dads apart from the kids who had desk job dads. Then there's the fatherless kids, god help them.

I grew up in a tech heavy family. Grandfather was a power plant manager. Dad was a mechanical Engineer. Uncle was a nuclear physicist. Mom while not techy was a budget manager and good with numbers.

I ended up being in product development for a factory. It's nothing glamorous but it's my first job. I get to design, redesign, go make prototypes, test them, etc. I also get a peek behind the curtain for the inner workings of the business.

I do wish I could get my hands on more physical work, but you guessed it! The guy with the trade school dad gets dibs.

some people don't have the fucking time, or have developed other useful skills. Manly, fuck off, is it useful or not? Sport ball is manly but it's a horror show.

Nice Metropolitan. I’ve gotten two weed wackers and a chain saw for free from my retard boomer neighbors. They were throwing them away because they didn’t start anymore. One I just cleaned the carb and the other two just needed new spark plugs. I’m a 28 and have more diy skills than most boomers but I do agree for the most part most millennials have no skills.

That's some sexy engine paint. Where can I get some for my car.

>tfw love to shoot and hike
>but it's always so god damn hot out

Attached: 1537671303432.jpg (500x565, 16K)

I'm interested but can't afford to own a home. I do work on knives, just buying the blades and putting nice handles on them. Little stuff but not having space is detrimental to creativity. Would like to have my grandpas 67 f100 in my own garage working on restoring it, but I live In a one bedroom apartment and live paycheck to paycheck

Push back? UPS pays ground mechanics 37.99 hr

Pretty sure that's all bike tools. See Park and Pedros there. Looks nice.

lol I had a lot of credits in Materials Science. I had pretty bad depression and was kicked out of Engineering. Then I moved to Wood Science (similar to MSE). Obviously I was near the bottom of my class. But I had two solid job offers at graduation.

I can tell you there's a difference between the academic and the real world. I'm doing much better now. Obviously the top students will very likely be the top workers. They make the transition pretty well. Everyone else though shuffles around a bit as their affinity for the real world differs.

We're in the same boat user.

framer here, people that work for a living are still out there bud. no need for the pessimism fellow king

I just used a photo from Jewgle.

All you none skilled losers that call me a boomer I'm 24 and when your at work I will be fixing your Gf car and knocking the cobwebs off her cooch cause women want men.

I don't think a single tool pictured has been used before... it looks like a catalog ad.

You can always convert a room, basement or any place that can hold your tools. Pop up garages are pretty cheap.

Hahaha, I need a week wacker.

I got an air compressor and some other cool stuff for free from one neighbor whos husband died. She was cleaning out the garage and dumped all this cool stuff by the road.

My dad, who is a younger boomer, nabbed a model-t puickup truck with a convertible top totally intact and in great shape, for a couple grand from an older boomer estate sale. Loving this shit.

>get paid 38$/h
>flat rate
>finish said job in half the time
>get 76$/h

how can degreeslaves even compete?

Why post a picture of an area that clearly does no work then?

Can't afford to

Yeah you're not doing that shit in an apartment, retard.

I'm lucky if I can afford a studio. I wish I could afford a a real house faggot

>I'm 24
You're barely a man

No, you're not.

It truly is heartbreaking if you sincerely consider the gravity of a toll that the 60s/70s/80s took on American families.

So much trauma, alienation, and heartbreak. It’s sickening.

Jesus fuck you autist, do you actually work on shit or just spend all your time organizing?

Im building a huge shed here soon. 16 x 28 on slab.

I may be young but have many responsibilities growing up and taking over the farm at 19 years old.

None of that shit is manly, Boomer, they're just hobbies that mostly consist of men.

Because you can buy a new car for the price of a set of snap on fap off tools, or live with poverty freight stuff which works fine but boomer cucks will mock your collection of scrap metal spanners.

>fix something?

just throw it away and buy another!

That's not manly, you pussy
It's a girl's job, these days

Bet you never played legit contact sports, either. How many fights have you won? What has shaped your character?

Only low IQ guys who don't want to compete in the modern world cling to these mundane, useless tasks to comfort their fragile ego

I seriously doubt "the top students" part.

My senior project classmates were straight A students and didnt know what the hell I was talking about when I told them to go get me a 3/8" socket and wrench.

I was put in charge of optimizing over 1000MW of electricity/steam in a chemical plant and 1 million dollars a day in natural gas in 2 years out of the door. (fun fact, back in 2011, ten if not hundreds of millions of dollars a day of natural gas was traded on AOL instant messenger).

Yeah GSE mechanic working for airlines I'm a junior mechanic only been at it for a year I make 28 an hour + airline benefits

Attached: IMG_20181220_151113_346.jpg (2898x2898, 2.89M)

Not flat rate here but no one breathing down your neck either. Take as long as you need to get the job done safely.

why do you need so many tools to repair bicycles you fuckin sperg

thats a bad ass tool bench

>those plastic drawers

Attached: laughing girls and ladyboys.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

It's not even a job it's a pass time and a hobby.

Fuck boomers, Snap On tools are overpriced Jew tools.
If you buy Snap on, you are a tool cuck

why u so mad and jelly tho?

Modern cars unfortunately aren't designed to be worked on like that.
And I say this as a millennial that owns a decent number of hand and power tools.

Craftsman or some cheap brand is good enough.

Maybe they don't understand everything immediately but they certainly have the mental capacity and drive to learn what they need to.

From my experience at least they make the transition pretty well.

Post your work benches faggots. It’s time to put up or shut up.

Attached: 0E476111-F72D-4F35-B3EB-EC78132EB22E.jpg (3264x2448, 1.76M)

It's a good and bad thing imo. I got more tools and projects than I know what to do with ATM and it's nice that classic car parts are dirt cheap since all the boomers that used to wrench are hanging it up.

I wish I had a pole barn

> t. 30yo boomer

Playing vidya and shitposting isnt "tinkering with a computer".

It's the same with tractors to especially John Deere you have to have them come fix the tractor cause they have a program in the tractor that will lock the thing up if you start working on it.

Op is correct. The current generation , whatever theyre called is pretty much useless. Im being honest/ fair 95% have zero mechanical inclination. Spent to much time playing video games & beating off. Also the divorce destruction left most of the generation to be raised by women. Another reason theres so many fags.
Heres the horror show. Just imagine how bad the next generation will be.
Very sad

I bought my wife a convertible BMW from a friend once. High mileage, knew it's life was limited. Got my moneys worth before it's plastic water pump impeller sheared and blew the engine. The parts were more than the car was worth or what I paid just to rebuild the gasket.

I got her a late 70s corvette that was beat to shit because I could fix it in a parking lot worst case. She put years and thousands of miles on that car before it finally blew its head. I rebuilt it in an apartment parking lot for about 300 bucks.

Since got her a new car, but she had an adventure, and learned to do "the carburetor dance" as she called blowing a little carb cleaner in the bowl on cold mornings to get her running.

It's played out a million times any way you like it on youtube and the internet but they always ruin it for everyone else with their narcissistic dominance just like how celebrities like jay leno and tim the toolman ruined it for everyone else in the 90s. It all becomes so tiresome and trivial. Wow dude, you rebuilt an engine or wow dude, you turned a screw driver into a gun barrel for ur next even bigger do it urself project! Now I have no desire to do any of this shit with how gay it is proven to become!

Attached: 1528549601628.jpg (675x465, 115K)

Attached: 20190818_103254.jpg (1444x2268, 1.18M)

because vidja

Maybe. It looks like a genuine bicycle shop to me though and those guys are pretty autistic about their tools.

Weird pic. It's a bicycle shop.

You and I haven't different individual experiences then. I graduated mechanical, and I've never met another one who didn't do it for anything but the salary and don't actually like what they do, it's just money.

I know people who are PEs in it, and they have the same attitude. No passion.

This, I wish I had a garage. At least I can work on my computer

I'm a millennial 32 years old, and would love to have access to a garage like that. I'm broke, and rent an expensive apartment in a big city because it's the only thing thats available to me. I own tools, but don't have a good place to keep and organize them. I do my own auto maintenance in the alley behind my apartment. I'm studying to be an electrician, and someday move out of the city and buy a house. I have to live life on nightmare mode unlike these fat fuckin boomers that had everything handed to them.

Attached: 1P1UV48.jpg (653x490, 95K)

Ayy lmao. Mice man cave. Here’s where I spend my time when Tyrone is over visiting my wife and her son.

Attached: F4A95C21-7D43-498C-9997-323F7366BABD.jpg (4032x3024, 2.33M)

Really?
My great uncles were John Deere fanatics. One died not long ago and he was like a parts whisperer. He could find a 1954 transmission like no one else.
Yeah my car just went over 200k and even with it being stick I know I can't repair stuff myself because of the sheer number of electrical components.

You're just as bad as the dorks who think cooking a meal at home is some huge achievement. "Hey everyone, I've got a garage and tools! Bet none of you've ever even touched a hammer!"

What’s the top speed on one of those airplane tugs?

>my significant other
I hope this is a fag couple

Boomers are fucking idiots. I work on my engine and transmission with Harbor Freight wrenches and that shit still purrs like a kitten.

Look at moving to rural places Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois. There's houses that are dirt cheap I'm talking 75k to 100k