/etm/ - EARTH TO MARS - OP Stand-in edition

Looks like the regular ETM OP isn't on tonight, so here's a slightly late thread dedicated to his absence:

Welcome to the Earth To Mars General.
The true future of the European is to be out there amongst the stars, so how are we going to achieve that future?

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of creating a European Colony on Mars, not by direct funding, but through the commercial emigration scheme that will eventually come into play.

At the moment /etm/ is normally posted once a week every saturday around 10pm UK-time and is a place on Jow Forums to speak about all things space related. Please try to ignore the flat-earth fags.

Attached: 1568298866784.jpg (736x1033, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GQ98hGUe6FM
youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5Q3EBQ1tc
youtube.com/watch?v=G9KQfnqukno
youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8
youtube.com/watch?v=Jb3f7c_qFls
youtube.com/watch?v=9jCYlMOqn04
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash
youtube.com/watch?v=N0OLQh0fXtk
lsst.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=7-iRf9AWoyE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length
skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/beyond-the-printed-page/adaptive-optics-before-and-after/
science.nrao.edu/science/meetings/2017/umichigan17/InterfBasics_UM.pdf
spacenews.com/china-to-launch-unmanned-test-flight-of-next-generation-crewed-spacecraft-in-2019/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Recommended Reading
The Case For Mars, Robert Zubrin.
The High Frontier by Gerard O'Neill.
Colonies in Space, by T. A. Heppenheimer.
Rocket Propulsion Elements, Sutton.
Aerothermodynamics of Gas Turbine and Rocket Propulsion, Gordon Coates.
Space Mission Engineering, the new SMAD, Wiley, ed.
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics, Bates, etc.
International Reference Guide to Space Launch Systems, Steve Isakowitz.
Mining the Sky, John Lewis.
Rain of Iron and Ice, John Lewis.
We Seven: By the Astronauts Themselves.
Voices from the Moon, Andrew Chaikin.
The Millennial Project, Marshall Savage.
Modern Engineering for Design of Liquid Propellant Rocket Engines, David H. Huang.
Mars trilogy, Kim Robinson
The Martian Way, Isaac Asimov
Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, Heinlein

Attached: TerraformedMars.jpg (1113x1113, 680K)

comfy videos

>Jeff Bezos: Going to Space to Benefit Earth
youtube.com/watch?v=GQ98hGUe6FM
don't want to watch the whole event ? here's a quick rundown on what Jeff said
youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5Q3EBQ1tc

>WE GO TOGETHER
youtube.com/watch?v=G9KQfnqukno

>NEW BFR Overview
youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA

>Educational Doc on Terraforming Mars:
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4

>Space X Interplanetary Transport System:
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t

>"Making Life Interplanetary" by Elon Musk:
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t

>3 Companies Developing Game Changing Technologies
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24

>Isaac Arthur - "Outward Bound - Colonising Mars"
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8

>Isaac Arthur - Mars: From science fiction, to science fact
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ

>Challenges of Colonizing Mars!
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8

Attached: 51276033_520888631652322_1897518084676124672_n.png (750x563, 871K)

Fucking checked.
>a European Colony on Mars
You'll need American help.

White americans are classed as 'European-americans', and yes we can't do this alone

Attached: mars-travel03-1.jpg (1365x2048, 560K)

Even though I think it'd be great for the USA to be the first to Mars, it'll likely be a collaboration between the USA, EU, and probably Russia desu
Or just USA solo.

Waste of time to visit this dead rock and catch cancer. Better not bother with it and focus on something else.
Like faster internet for everyone.

>why not both?

Attached: 36346.jpg (1280x720, 187K)

depends, SpaceX's Starship development is coming along very quickly, if they choose to they could do it independently instead of waiting for NASA to crew rate them the same way they're crew-rating dragon 2, which is always a slow bureaucratic mess

Attached: 6061b8db-78e6-495c-bb78-c3f085783dd2-spx_demo1_docked01.jpg (540x310, 18K)

Attached: 35353.png (662x600, 594K)

Germany already achieved it you retard

look into the secret space program

youtube.com/watch?v=Jb3f7c_qFls

Just an update on SpaceX Starship development, the 20km suborbital 'hop' will be very soon. Really hoping it goes well. They're also starting on the Superheavy booster, that'll be interesting.
The first crewed Dragon 2 flight to the ISS will also be sometime in mid-november

Attached: 4574567.png (637x504, 67K)

youtube.com/watch?v=9jCYlMOqn04

(((space)))

Every planet and star is nothing more than a projection on the Firmament.

Attached: venus.jpg (900x900, 53K)

Attached: pvcR5GCbq7JfmBWF8cvBmC.jpg (1200x1200, 133K)

Attached: c8026cc8f825be75fc272312bb4ca2d6.jpg (2400x2485, 1.62M)

Try using a telescope instead of a digital camera made for daylight scenery shots

Attached: 1555280941788.jpg (5617x3930, 3.39M)

>226568212
>Please try to ignore the flat-earth fags

Looks fucking miserable.

Attached: fe-cgi-mars.jpg (600x450, 64K)

Attached: 1552130669292.jpg (640x360, 57K)

Why does every "distant" object look like it's behind a layer of water?

Attached: 1486690792124.jpg (960x720, 66K)

I don't see the mission to mars until ~2030 at the very earliest.
The USA will be back around and on the moon by ~2024. According to the plan the Deep Space Gateway still needs to be built.

Attached: MarinerValley.jpg (600x443, 46K)

I'm probably going to sign up for Mars One, put in a resime and do a one minute video of the questions and maybe or possibly be chosen to go to Mars.

look into the secret space program
TONS of people have whisleblown about germans being in space

Attached: solar_warden_rev1.png (2230x1463, 1.79M)

The Gateway is completely unnecessary, it's an 80's idea for 80's hardware, aka the SLS. Orbital refueling is far simpler, and less expensive than building lunar infrastructure

>226568465
>226568705
the two extremes here to derail the thread

The only thing that gets me really excited is when a fucking epic rocket enters the mars atmosphere. Fuck I get goosebumps thinking about it.

look at what im posting, you really think we are not in space already? lmao

Same here, and the implications for the future space industry too. It'll be one of the biggest (or THE biggest) industry on Earth soon.
I agree, but NASA likes to follow the plans they have. I do like how Trump said if NASA can't get their shit together they'll use private tech/rockets.
Say what you want about Trump, but on space he's spot on.

original OP of /etm/ here. last week jannie 404d three threads. i thought it would be a good idea to stay quiet for maybe a couple weeks.

so far, jannie hasn't taken this down though. so that's a good sign.

friendly reminder: /ETM/ is political, as is all discussion regarding space exploration and colonisation. on top of that, /etm/ has been stickied twice (pic related), so until jannie can give a decent reason as to why /etm/ should not be posted on Jow Forums, i'll keep making it.

maybe not as regularly over the next couple weeks, but for everyone who is paying attention, you know I post here between 8pm and 10pm every saturday.

btw thanks OP for making the general anyway

Attached: STICKY.jpg (264x462, 33K)

As cool as NASA are, they're crippled by both stupid congress and boomer OldSpace companies like Lockheed, Boeing etc who use it as a state jobs program, private enterprise has proven to be far more efficient where they have to make a working product or go bust

Attached: MiningOffEarth.jpg (1366x576, 412K)

bumping with comfy pics

Attached: 1540842887626.jpg (1536x2048, 308K)

Attached: marsc44.jpg (418x602, 27K)

Attached: nasaphotoshop.png (1262x1300, 675K)

Probably still needs to be designed and has to go through bureaucratic hoops. That's why companies like SpaceX evolve that fast. They can do whatever the fuck they want. If they think something is cool, they just do it. That is why government projects are doomed to fail (and this lunar gateway as well), it always involves politics, everybody needs to get their fair share. Nobody does it because they "can" or really want to innovate.

bump

Attached: P01-Explorers-Wanted-NASA-Recruitment-Poster-600x.jpg (600x960, 424K)

If you're looking at them from the ground, it's because they ARE behind a layer of fluid. Space based telescopes don't have this issue.

Attached: o1AJ9qDyyJNSpZWhUgGYc3MngFqoAMwiS3DNymm8jCLPUM9R8.jpg (640x480, 43K)

bumping so people can see my post

Attached: 00a.png (1919x1080, 1.16M)

Evening! no problem, i've missed them myself for the last month or two, been busy with personal stuff, managed to get into college for electrical installation diploma which starts monday actually, hope to work on solar in the future

Attached: 1550960803262.jpg (800x1910, 547K)

!

Attached: 0a.png (1920x1080, 1.46M)

The horizon is a strange thing. Always at eye level. Wouldn't be possible on a small sphere.

Attached: img_9950.jpg (495x495, 45K)

>no manned spacecraft
Chinks are gonna beat the Eurofags to Mars.

>college for electrical installation diploma which starts monday actually,

good luck m8 that sounds great
>, hope to work on solar in the future

what's the lesser alternatives? installing air conditioning into buildings, or something like that ?

Earth is a large sphere, dude.

It's not a sphere.

Attached: img_9688.jpg (1800x1800, 490K)

Why does every rocket launch look like this?

Attached: 1487952880907.png (743x745, 554K)

That was really odd last week.
Glad you could make it.
Yea that's one of NASA's biggest problems is the bureaucracy.
They moved into observational astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology for a few decades which I think is great but I'm glad Trump reoriented NASA towards manned exploration.
And yea the private companies are thriving right now which is a great thing and just.
Bullshit

Explain how tides work then.

yeah, or fuse boxes and wiring in housing. Solar specifically is the endgame though, Mars and the moon colonies will definitely need installation and maintenance engineers. The more people arrive, the more panels we'll need, not to mention a booming future industry on earth too

Attached: 346436.jpg (1280x720, 157K)

because orbit is actually just falling really fast around the earth

explain

Attached: soundly-lake.jpg (1178x692, 129K)

I plan to be the first US Postmaster of Mars.

Attached: 1565916627588.jpg (720x720, 81K)

Planet Express?

Attached: 235.jpg (363x400, 53K)

Also this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash

You can actually use the fucking Earth as a telescope by using the refraction of the light through the atmosphere as a big ass lens.

good plan mate, sounds like a solid career move in general. hope college is comfy for you

cheers

Pseudo intellectual brainlets are pathetically annoying.

Pedovores and their legacy and social media protectors will be delivered to justice.

youtube.com/watch?v=N0OLQh0fXtk

Attached: 1536843086084.jpg (1020x1656, 811K)

did not explain anything

why is it straight until the horizon and only after the horizon does it fall

>URTH FLAT

More proof that whites will not conquer space.

Attached: A694363E-A1BD-4C2C-8071-CF3CDA37E6A9.png (800x472, 41K)

NASA (and JPL) should have sticked with providing the launch infrastructure and rocket development etc imho. Let the universities to their thing, and design the instruments. Would be more efficient imho, these large projects are almost always a big shitshow.

Basically yes.
I see the first non-military post office opening in about 30yrs would be my guess.
Moving expenses would be comped, just in time to retire and never see another fucking human for as long as i live.

>Pedovores and their legacy and social media protectors will be delivered to justice

Attached: 1536844533231.jpg (856x875, 449K)

I'm really getting sick of your shit faggot. You were quick to this one. We're going and there is nothing you can do about it.

Checked quintuple satan

Attached: Check.jpg (480x360, 21K)

Hubble is fucking amazing though, but I see your point. They still provide all the launch infrastructure for spacex except the landing pad in the ocean I think.

That particular German is a regular in /ETM/ and any space exploration threads and he always shits on the idea with no reasonable arguments.

There's a leaf in Atlantis/Antediluvian threads that does something similar, except spams 50+ posts.

actually sounds comfy desu, there's a whole planet to retire on in solitude kek

thanks lad

Attached: 1555204090324.jpg (416x416, 130K)

I mean, look at the James Webb Telescope. Jesus fucking Christ that thing is expensive. Why? Because they have to change contractors because of politics. If they would have tasked the universities with designing the instruments, and let them take care of that the project would have been finished 5 years ago. With launch infrastructure I also meant the actual launchers (rocket development), my bad sorry. But indeed, Hubble was (is) pretty amazing. You have to check "adaptive optics" and beam combiners for ground-based telescopes. That shit is really interesting imho (if you are into that).

Attached: Falcon9-chan.jpg (1048x1500, 319K)

Guys just imagine looking up at the moon one night and seeing the colongy/city lights, how fucking cool would that be?

Attached: Moon-lights.jpg (1920x1280, 178K)

>what are orbits?

White will not onto Mars.

The JWST will be incredible for observational astrophysics and cosmology though because it'll be able to see farther (and therefore deeper into the past) than any other telescope. It's just taking so fucking looooonnnnggggggg. It's ridiculous actually. Its planned LAUNCH was before 2010, and they've pushed it back a few times and I think it's set for 2021.
And the adaptive optics is cool, it's how they were able to resolve the center of the milky way iirc

Attached: MilkyWaySMBH.gif (500x500, 624K)

Can imagine the view, enjoying a few beers next to a river, looking upwards, dreaming of things to come. Would be unreal I think. The born to early / born to late meme is real.

it really is, but it's up to us to make it happen

Attached: city-moon-6443815.jpg (600x494, 65K)

JWST will indeed be amazing. Cannot imagine the stuff we will be seeing. Personally think the gravitational lensing use-cases will be super interesting, would give us more insight into some cosmological parameters. From that perspective, I'm more interested in LSST lsst.org/ -> for this you have to imagine that it will be able to resolve the (almost) complete night sky in 1 observation night. For the study of population parameters this still will be ideal. Then we can build up a distribution on how particular structures are in general (e.g., the masses of the gravitational lenses, dark matter substructures etc).

> And the adaptive optics is cool, it's how they were able to resolve the center of the milky way
No that's something different, it has to do "beam combining". But instead of doing it with a vacuum tunnel, you let a computer integrate the data from posts spread across the Earth. That's why they were able to resolve it.

>digits
literally OP

Attached: Screenshot_3.png (672x409, 644K)

Working my but off to make it happen ASAP. But we need a ton of money for R&D. Especially over here in Europe (it is sick how much money US universities have, it's nice for the researchers though). The only universities in Europe which really have a lot of money are the Swiss ones.

Why can't NASA settle on a size for the moon?

Attached: 1478915235233.jpg (829x717, 86K)

FuCKinG checked.
youtube.com/watch?v=7-iRf9AWoyE

Attached: Iron-MaidenNumberOfTheBeast600.jpg (600x600, 75K)

Some intro into optics for you: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

I came here to kick demon ass and chew bubblegum..and i'm all out of bubblegum

Attached: 1564136608961.png (720x610, 293K)

Keck, which this specific study used, did have adaptive optics. Not sure if it was "beam combining" but I know they used the laser as a 'guide star' for the adaptive optics.
skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/beyond-the-printed-page/adaptive-optics-before-and-after/
Oh wow, actually hadn't thought about using it for observing gravitational lensing, that's a good fucking thought. It'd still show up too in the infrared but will look wild and possibly clearer than optical.
>500 petabyte set of images and data products
DAMN. Not very familiar with the LSST but going to check out info about it.

Attached: AdaptiveOptics.gif (591x558, 526K)

i didn't notice this lol

checked

Attached: Marsc7.png (1024x1088, 305K)

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the black hole in M83. My bad, indeed you are right. Because they point the laser, they create an artificial star in the upper atmosphere, which they can track to correct for imperfections in the motoring system. Additionally, because you are shining a huge fucking laser into the sky, you can actually measure the disturbances in the air column above you, which you can correct for by changing the form of your collection mirror (hence the adaptive optics).

> Not very familiar with the LSST but going to check out info about it.
LSST is going to be wild. Butload of papers are getting pushed out just dealing with the speed of "approximate inference" of the parameters of something they are interested in + actually finding them. You can actually download the complete LSST simulation chain to test your algorithms.

off to bed now, sleep tight anons

Attached: 1564256127323.png (1500x900, 347K)

night m8, i'll take over now

science.nrao.edu/science/meetings/2017/umichigan17/InterfBasics_UM.pdf

These slides explain the "combining" pretty well (check slide 9+). It shows it for radio astronomy, but the same works in the optical wavelengths. Engineering is a bit more complicated because you actually need to build a vacuum tunnel to push to combine the light coming from different telescopes.

Whites won’t make it to Mars without help from Asians. I’ve been to tours at SpaceX and 30% of the engineers there are Asian.

No Eurofag country is producing a manned spacecraft. They’re gonna rely on the fats.

Not even Lockheed Martin/Boeing have tested the SLS.

Chinks already have built their rocket that will take them to the moon. Launch a few of them, and you can create the proposed Mars Direct Mission.

They’re already developing their new version of the Shenzhou that will take them to Earth from trans-Martian or trans-Lunar injection orbits.
spacenews.com/china-to-launch-unmanned-test-flight-of-next-generation-crewed-spacecraft-in-2019/

Meanwhile half of the Euros in this comment section think the Earth is fucking flat. Nearly half of the Americans reading this think the earth is 6,500 years old.

You guys are gonna get beaten by the Chinks.

I’m an actual aerospace engineer. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Attached: 345BD76E-AB5D-40FF-A9D2-F9E2251B6D6E.jpg (828x749, 113K)

Electron rocket. Is concept of an electro-motor to drive the fuel-pumps actually a good idea?

Mars is nothing more than a projection on the Firmament. We cannot "make it" there.

Attached: 1495959022014.jpg (287x395, 31K)

You still didn't asnwer our questions.

Meh.
It’s certainly not efficient. However, it is far less complex so it’s less likely to fail.

Blessed digits! Venus fags btfo

Show me one real picture of the globe and then we can talk.

Attached: 1492354082044.jpg (1024x1024, 158K)