Would a power armour be possible in real life? How would it be powered?

Would a power armour be possible in real life? How would it be powered?

Attached: Fo4_T45d_power_armor_trailer.png (730x731, 617K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_battery
youtube.com/watch?v=NtYv4sPZKOA
youtube.com/watch?v=v3uGJGzUYCI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-antique
youtube.com/watch?v=tfEpdVqOLXs
lasersafetyfacts.com/laserclasses.html
youtube.com/watch?v=tbKGjRoSofA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nuclear, pneumatic, or pure disgust of muties

Attached: 10481-0-1457871867.jpg (1920x1080, 301K)

It already exists.

You need to design a lightweight battery before you can have good power armor. Do that first then we can talk.

If our battery tech was 50 years ahead of its current state then power armor, or rather load bearing/lifting frames would be viable today.

If you wanted to make power armor that was tactically useful today you put a lawnmower engine on a backpack, connect it to a generator and have an electric motor on the major joints that have a clutch to engage and disengage.

But pencil pushers think battery packs are the way to go so that's why you see the stupid garbage we have today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_battery

Is that pedro again mowing the lawn? No that's user he put a lawn mower on his back for tactical reasons. At least the noise gave us enough time to grab the guns and wait until he's closer.

I know Raytheon has one that uses a deisel generator strapped to the back, but I think they are trying to make smaller fuel cell generators to make it quiter.

>How would it be powered?

Well as other people have said providing energy for a set of power armor would be a problem. Personally I wonder if it might be feasible to use some sort of micro turbine to deal with that issue.

Attached: Turbines.jpg (750x367, 163K)

>technology is a function of time
there are physical limits to how energy-dense you can make batteries

Attached: 1512151449197.jpg (645x588, 57K)

Just add more batteries

>Personally I wonder if it might be feasible to use some sort of micro turbine to deal with that issue.

Why. Why would that be best. Do you know anything about power generation.

TURBOSHAFT NUCLEAR ENGINES YOU SUBHUMAN

power?

Just throwing around ideas here, but a simple combustion engine would be sufficient to power it right? Fuel is readily available and conversion and integration work should be easy enough.

The real question is whether or not such a powered frame could mount sufficient and effective armor to be resistant against small arms fire. From seeing that HULC thing a couple of years back you would be able to carry a significantly heaver weapon and perhaps provide heavier fire power on the squad level. A lot of if and buts to get it to work.

user, the only thing you should do when you hear the two stroke power armor suit coming is run.

>Not powering your power armour using a v12 engine

Power Armor in a military sense?
No it isn't feasible.
1. Energy, You need to either graft a combustible fuel tank or more batteries than a realistic to power this for any length of time in the field - 1 becomes a huge weak point, the other makes it prohibitively large.
2. Protection - at best these will be small arms protected, anything crew served will riddle them, 40mm grenades will still devastate them and they will be too cumbersome to avoid them
3. Mobility - Larger than normal human frames will prevent use of them. - They will not be able to be used in the only role they could be viable for: building clearance in occupied areas
Their weight will make their ground pressure on 2 feet ludicrous, hard ground only

>Why. Why would that be best. Do you know anything about power generation.

What the fuck are you talking about you retard? Why would a micro turbine NOT be a working way to run a set of power armor? Yes, i know you would need some way to convert that energy into a means of locomotion. Be it electricity to run servos or hydraulic pressure to push actuators. But either way some fuel burning engine could do the job. If not a turbine, perhaps something like a wankel engine. They have a really good power to weight ratio.

>HULC
As someone mentioned, yes this is a thing and is really one of the viable uses.
Load bearing frames, ideally with power tethers to help supply artillery with minimal strain and fatigue

how would you provide first aid to someone in power armor?

already built. Troy Hurtubise.

pretty cool stuff but a failed man ultimately

Attached: add_icon.jpg (395x368, 58K)

youtube.com/watch?v=NtYv4sPZKOA

>Finally played through it
Fuck every single driving section, especially the forklift bits.

i never even played it. as a longtime D.N. fan i think it would just be too disappointing.

It already exists. Admittedly it's just standard armor with servos slapped on it but whatever.

Attached: army powered exoskeleton.jpg (663x572, 118K)

I'm in love with the pneumatic idea, so much to work with when you rely on a gas turboshaft as your compressor drive

youtube.com/watch?v=v3uGJGzUYCI

I favor gas turboshafts running the cooling intake into pneumatic lines or running the heat-retaining exhaust directly into the locomotive lines

It's a passable, but not great shooter, that has kind of a schitzophrenic feel to it because of how rushed it was and how they kept changing engines.

The nudity just feels like trying too hard, too.

It is, and we have done it. Pls, don't tell the russkies.

Attached: voimapanssari m64.jpg (661x600, 79K)

Aluminum-air batteries.

▲ ▲

a gun manufacturer needs to create a pneumatic projectile to skirt firearm laws

Attached: 10481-1-1457871866.jpg (1920x1080, 492K)

compressed gas propulsion, it'd be a standardized firearm under existing definition

WHY WAS FALLOUT 4 SO GODDAMN DISAPPOINTING

I REMEMBER WHEN THE TEASER TRAILER CAME OUT

I WAS SO EXCITED

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

does it exists with rail guns?

I mainly blame consoles. Notice the writing in the DLCs for Fallout 3 and 4. The DLC is almost always better than the base in every aspect.

Attached: WelcometothePitt.jpg (1280x720, 287K)

magnetic flux is not covered under existing law in any case, railguns and coilguns are not legally regulated items as of current (and unlawful) acts of government

there will be walking/rolling drone robots armed to the teeth before power armour.

why send a person when you can send a robot?

Attached: 34c.gif (200x250, 2.7M)

it wasn't obsidian and bethesda doesnt make rpgs

grug no need power fur

Attached: grug.jpg (800x450, 35K)

>why send a person when you can send a robot?
reception

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

No I mean that at a fundamental level, the game just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

The map design is inadequate
Half of the weapons in the game (pipe weapons) aren't even useful in late game
Bullet sponge raiders in late game
The damage system of the weapons is so incentivized that you can forget the other bonuses
Dialogue was complete trash
The "settlements' feature was just so bland, why allow me to equip guards with the best gear if it doesn't do anything for the radiant quests?
I'm the minute man general, why can't I just command people to take care of it?

FUCK
there was just so much potential

I think all the mods I've been using has made me jaded. This is Sanctuary

Attached: 1467156175030.jpg (1920x1200, 611K)

electrical power could be delivered to the power armor via laser signal from nearby remote support units. would require line of sight between power armor units and power delivery vehicle

power armor wold still contain compact, energy dense battery/capacitor bank system so they could run for short periods of time when line of sight with power source is temporarily interrupted

giving the player character an actual voice was a mistake

graphics and gameplay wasn't any better than FO3. in some cases it was worse.

the only real fun thing they added was weapon, armour construction & customization, and settlement building.

other than they they added nothing and made no improvements whatsoever

they could have just pt out a shit load of DLC maps for FO3 and FONV and we'd be better off

>graphics and gameplay wasn't any better than FO3
>in some cases it was worse

have you played FO3 recently?

it looks so cheesy... i was expecting something much more gritty with just a little humor sprinkled in here and there. not a retarded meme-fest. leave that shit to blizzard.

Right now it looks like humans will still be the best at fighting human wars in the near future. They do as they're told, they're predictable and they're smart.
Terminators will do what they'll programmed to do, but they'll be reckless and they will kill civilians. Unless of course you program a human brain into them. Good luck with that.

sorry, compressed air launchers would be firearms under MI law, my bad- looking at ATF stuff, magnetic launchers cannot be rifles or shotguns and thus cannot be firearms, nor can they be destructive devices (unless they fire a certain yield of explosive charge and only if magnetism can be categorized as a propellant), AOWs, though they can qualify as machineguns if the chambering mechanism can be automated, which it would have to be if the only motivation for chambering was electronic, then they would be automatically classified as MGs unless there was a physical action limiting the function of the weapon's chamber, they are also be classified as antique firearms with or without a physically operated action

so railguns/coilguns are either antique firearms (physical action) or antique machineguns (electronic action) under current law

>graphics and gameplay wasn't any better than FO3. in some cases it was worse.
just stop

apparently you haven't heard "tactically quiet" generators.

They're still fucking loud, just not quite as loud as if they had zero soundproofing.

God damn, can your settlers even path through that?

they can't path through smaller settlements, I wish bethesda gave you the ability to manually path them yourself

Attached: 1467156447634.jpg (1920x1200, 407K)

>but they'll be reckless and they will kill civilians. Unless of course you program a human brain into them. Good luck with that.

software that can distinguish civilians from combatants is not a far-fetched idea. it would be tough but with the right data probably not impossible.

there's no reliable legal definition of propellant, but they seem to be classified as a thing and the legal definition of thing does not cover forces such as magnetism, therefore a railgun launching an explosive warhead cannot be classified as a destructive device, though the warhead itself is and it is classified as a machinegun if the action is electronic and not reliant on a physically operated action to chamber a round/warhead

otherwise railguns and similar devices would have to be antique firearms under law, as stated above

>t. just came from a mech hate thread

>energy
Know how much horsepower power armor need? Human horsepower is 0.8 bursting to 2.0hp. To be 10x stronger than a man you need 20hp peak.

>protection
because a normal infantryman is immune to small arms and grenades, artillery and more?

>CUBE SQUARE LAW GROUND PRESSURE SINK INTO CONCRETE
nigger you are so fucking dumb I won't explain why you're dumb.

Barring any major technological advances in another direction the big next step for battery tech is solid state, millions of dollars in R&D is being dumped into research right now. Batteries that are mold-able (such as into the frame of a car), can charge all of the cells simultaneously instead of linearly, drastic reduction in weight and degradation, drastic increase in battery capacity and charge times, decrease in overall costs and rare earth requirements.

A number of manufactures are already testing exo-suits for their workers since general purpose robotics is still a ways off. The current problem with any mobile platform is the weight of the batteries, and at a certain point you're using the majority of your power capacity just to move the batteries around with current tech after you've slapped armor and whatever your carrying on the frame. In no way is it currently practical to strap an ICE or nuclear reactor to someone. If it pans out Solid state would most likely fix the energy density and power to weight ratio.

In the US compressed air/gas guns aren't firearms per the GCA. What makes a gun a "gun" in a legal sense is combustion. If anyone in the US built a functional rail gun or a "plasma" rifle, (super-heated magnetically stabilized helium) or any kind of weapon that isn't powered by combustion it would be outside the bounds of Federal US firearms law and would be completely unregulated before the states and/or feds get involved, although some states might already have laws on the books that say othersie.

>have you played FO3 recently?
im playing it right now

its just as good

actually plasma and rail weapons seem to be covered under 'antique firearms' as they are weapons that do not use fixed ammunition

correction, 'antique machineguns'

I am honestly hoping Bethesda releases a Fallout 3 10 year Anniversary this E3

Attached: 27739-1517788025-803678152.png (1920x1080, 1.9M)

John B. Goodenough
>Goodenough
That must have never gotten old.

>manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898)
atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-antique

It's a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

I know it won't happen but I want another New Vegas, give me a game with characters I actually care about and a story that isn't completely retarded.

what about lasers

e=mc^2

The term “antique firearm” means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
>any firearm

oh wait, they can't be firearms because they can't be rifles or shotguns

they're unclassifiable weapons like crossbows and/or machineguns, I was wrong.

No doubt they'll have that feature, but they'll still screw up because somewhere along the line a unit will come up with an inhuman solution to a problem, one that ends up having serious collateral damage. The machine would just think hell yeah, mission accomplished. Might be worth the risk though, could even have a human monitoring their actions.

You're literally fucking retarded.

The gunplay and graphics were the only thing Fallout 4 did right.

Fallout 4 has dog shit guns.
Fallout 3 handles gunplay like dog shit.

Fallout 3 did not age well.
Fallout NV has aged extremely well.

>Batteries that are mold-able (such as into the frame of a car)

What? Who has these?

Tesla & Co use silly amounts of small batteries in parallel

Skip to 1:27

youtube.com/watch?v=tfEpdVqOLXs

Is this legal

Attached: 43a900-Project Kei Nagase.jpg (1280x720, 290K)

>Low velocity non-lethal projectiles
Yes. For the same reason any other marker or a full-auto airsoft is legal.

No combustion, no firearm. Lasers would fall under the classification system currently used for everything for simple laser pointers, big theatrical systems for special effects, and industrial/commercial systems.
lasersafetyfacts.com/laserclasses.html

The other part of that I think is more important is
>AND manufactured in or before 1898

Fisker and a whole lot of other companies and research firms/colleges are currently trying to develop the tech right now. Pictured are Tesla's current Lithium-Ion battery cells that by the thousands are seated into a frame that goes under the car.

Attached: Tesla-Batteries-18650-Li-ion-Cells_17fc3479-61b0-4a7b-a166-f865caccf048_grande.jpg (600x364, 37K)

I can literally hear May bellowing "CLARKSON!" in my head...

but they're still machineguns

I don't know whee you're getting that from unless there's something obscure I'm missing. The NFA definition of machine guns is predicated on "shots" from a combustion cycle.

nope, per 'function of the trigger' and 'readily converted', electronics are all software, software is readily converted to change single-shot functions of the trigger to automatic-fire functions of the trigger

I'm not going to take the time to see exactly how it's defined in the NFA but all of those things have to do with mechanical trigger action predicated on the basis of a combustion cycle with solid projectiles.

Automatic rail guns for instance which you can find videos of on youtube and not regulated under the NFA as MGs.

>if magnetism can be categorized as a propellant

Hah, imagine getting raided by ATF for having been suspected of having unregistered fridge magnets

Attached: 127557607271.jpg (750x728, 270K)

and yet that is not what the law says:
>any weapon which shoots, is. designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than. one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

The proposed use of it is loading functions, moving heavy cargo around rough terrain, like the power lifter in Aliens

You call that power armor? More like tin cans

Attached: Longinus-bw.jpg (650x800, 59K)

we will have them as soon as Elon Musk decides he wants them for Mars.

I believe the major problem with power armors is that no one wants to buy them and hence invest money.

I think firefighter departments would gain be the only public sector with some use for it.

don't you guys get it? The ATF was established to force people to innovate the weapons of the new age to dodge their bullshit regulations.
Truly a 4D chess game unlike any other

>because humans don't kill civilians right now

lol

>pneumatic
That's not a power source. That's a method of power transmission.

How should we arm and armor powered armor?

Assuming the power source issue is solved somewhat and we want to make a human tank that's nearly invulnerable to small arms and shrapnel, what materials should be used in the armor to balance weight and protection, and what weapons should it have?

I think a kinda dome-like shape to the armor like pic related would be a good idea, it reduces the surface area of the upper torso and head, which allows them to be armored better for less weight, and gets rid of the problem of using up power trying to make a heavy as fuck helmet move around without fucking up the wearer's neck, the wearer would see through multiple cameras mounted around the outside of the armor.

What kind of machine gun should it have?
What sort of grenades should it have?
Should it have a missile launcher?

Attached: image.jpg (758x1053, 171K)

that's power armor for big guys, fallout power armor is for manlets who wanna feel in charge with the leg and arm extensions and all

They're called air rifles. They already exist and many people use them for hunting.

And we're nowhere near that limit

without watching the video, let me guess: muh apex seals.

Attached: 1516583122825.gif (720x404, 3.19M)

Everyone's (rightfully so) talking about a power source but hardly anyone ever talks about how exactly you're going to take more than a few pistol or rifle rounds. Personally exoskeletons would be a much better investment than power armor since you'd be able to carry more/have good mobility and not become a giant target for everyone with a gun.

the video calls the seal and direct oil injection method flawed, but I find it a neat design concept regardless- however, I still like muh turbine VREEEEEEEEE better

Nope, it only applies to firearms. You could make a slingshot channel style automatic crossbow and it would be fully legal, not an illegal machine gun.
youtube.com/watch?v=tbKGjRoSofA